Print Thread
CHL Class Recommendation #4067105 02/19/13 11:49 PM
B
Borane4 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
I searched this topic and found little advice. Im looking for a CHL class in Collin county, or maybe Grayson or Denton. But what is really important is an instructor that wont bore me to death for 10 hours just reading powerpoint slides to me. It's a first-world problem I know, but does anyone have any recos?

North Texas CHL is nearby. Any props for these guys?

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: Borane4] #4067386 02/20/13 01:25 AM
T
tmds3 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Smasher on here, www.defensiveimpact. great class wife and I took it.

No matter how bad your day is going, somewhere in the world a fat man just dropped his ice cream
Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: tmds3] #4067858 02/20/13 03:53 AM
M
Magicglock Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Crossfire Training at Cabella's in Fort Worth is highly recommended. I just did my renewal with them. This is a first class training team that is a one stop shop including the digital fingerprinting if you schedule appropriately. Don't waste your time on some fly by night trying to make a quick buck. Crossfire is also a moderator on the texaschlforum site too. You will be hard pressed to find a more knowledgable set of instructors. I have no affiliation with Crossfire Training...just promoting a group that did a great job and counts on word of mouth advertising. I manage training centers for a living and this group does it right!

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: Magicglock] #4067892 02/20/13 04:03 AM
T
tmds3 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
http://www.defensiveimpact.com/ is the actual website for Adam, forgot the .com the first time.

Last edited by tmds3; 02/20/13 04:04 AM.

No matter how bad your day is going, somewhere in the world a fat man just dropped his ice cream
Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: tmds3] #4067952 02/20/13 04:24 AM
M
Migillicutty Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Vx marksmanship little south of where you want but worth the drive. I live further north and drove down there for it. Guy who runs the facility is a former marine scout sniper, did private contract work and trained elite operators in CQB and long range rifle. He also used to be contracted by Cabelas to do their corporate training and long range rifle training. He doesn't lead the chl class but will come and talk to ya. Guy that runs the chl class isn't boring and is accompanied by a 30 plus year veteran of ft worth pd who has worked swat, and gang unit he has some good stories. If you take the chl with them you can get a discount on further training which is well worth it. My wife and I both took the course there. I already have a chl in Florida and switched it to non resident when I moved to Texas but wanted to get my residents permit. Oh I guess I have to add I have no affiliation with them. Just enjoyed the training I have gotten there.

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: Migillicutty] #4070608 02/21/13 02:28 AM
B
Borane4 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Thanks for the recos.

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: Borane4] #4073357 02/22/13 12:44 AM
M
Mission160 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
North Texas CHL is a great option. Gary offices out of my building and he and Bill do a great job. They also have a private range in Anna to shoot.
If you live close to McKinney/Melissa, it's the perfect choice.

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: Mission160] #4077221 02/23/13 04:29 PM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I have heard there is a big wait list to get in to a CHL class lately. Here is another route you can take. Virginia is offering CHL's for non residents and you do not have to go to the range to qualify. They passed this law last July. All you have to do is take the online course (1 person for $39.99 and 2 for $49.99), print the certificate, have them send you their fingerprint card which comes in their non resident firearms package, get your finger prints done, get your application notarized (your local bank will usually do it for free), then send it out with a $100.00 money order or check and you will receive it in under 45 days. The Virginia supreme court passed a law that requires them to get your license processed in under 45 days and if not then they will have to give you a temporary 90 day license till they get it to you. It is recognized in Texas and 29 other states too. It will probably be quicker than waiting for a CHL class to have an opening here. My buddies are on a waiting list and the closest date they can get in their area in Texas was in mid May. I went this route due to when we moved down to Texas from Virginia to see mold doctors and stay with the family, we still kept our Virginia residency and now since we changed our residence to Texas permanently I would have to wait 6 months till I would be qualified to get my CHL here. I wish we changed our residence earlier so I could have gotten my CHL here before the gun grabbing started happening. But on a good note I don't have to wait 6 months from when I got my Texas ID to get my CHL now. Hope this helps you out. Here is the link to the NRA approved course online.

http://www.concealed-carry.net/

Here is a link to the article on Fox news about it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/03/onl...to-get-permits/

The law authorizing the online training imposes no specific standards and does not require applicants to actually handle a firearm. A spokesman for Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, who sponsored the amendment when he was a member of the state Senate, said that Virginia's concealed-carry program has never required hands-on training because its goal is to teach gun safety, not proficiency.

The court shall issue the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it appears that the applicant is disqualified.

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified. If the applicant is found to be disqualified after the de facto permit is issued, the applicant shall surrender the de facto permit to the court and the disqualification shall be deemed a denial of the permit and a revocation of the de facto permit. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.

Hope this helps you all out.

Tight groups,

Ricky V.

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: bowbuilder1971] #4077657 02/23/13 07:59 PM
B
brent1 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
B
Im curious why anyone would want to take an out of state chl ? Wouldnt you rather take a texas chl class
A) give your $$ to texas
B) learn texas chl laws and not a states laws that you will not carry in

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: brent1] #4077677 02/23/13 08:14 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Anyone know of an instructor in the Dallas area that would allow you to audit the course?

I have had my CHL since it was allowed in Texas and did not have to take a class or shooting proficiency to renew but I missed the interaction and emphasis a good instructor provides.

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: donswin] #4077786 02/23/13 09:25 PM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Bigboartactical.com phone # is 9727879978 out if The Collony. You can also get a groupon for 50.00 for 1 or husband and wife for 99. Wife and I did it a couple of weeks ago and it was very good.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: notamtchance] #4078473 02/24/13 04:46 AM
B
Borane4 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Bowbuilder - My choice would be to take a Texas CHL course in Texas. If you are ever involved in a shooting you might avoid any criminal charges with a VA license, but you will most certainly face a civil suit. There, the plaintiff only has to prove 51% that you were negligent in shooting their POS relative. If I were a lawyer, I'd go down the road of your poor training (no shooting qual), avoiding local training to save money and to get his hands on a gun as easily as possible to shoot this poor creep. Yada, yada. Also, the Texas signage (30.06, 51%, etc) are probably different. Not worth leaving the door open to save $50. Respectfully, your mileage may vary.

In terms of timing, I started this post on Tuesday and found 4 openings this weekend. I chose VX Marksmanship and was really impressed with the way they conducted the class today. Try hunting for cancellationsjust a few days before the class. Someone always cancels...

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: Borane4] #4079420 02/24/13 07:30 PM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Wow glad there are openings around now. Texas also recognizes Virginias CHL license. But I hear you, I could take the course and just not turn in the certificate at the end since I would not qualify till June for a CHL here.I also have gone through more than three firearms courses. I have my FID from MA where you have to do a live fire exercise in multiple firearms, did handgun competitions, have hunted forever, am a Marine and qualified with a 9 and 45 so I am pretty sure I am covered on knowing how to shoot with all the credentials I have behind me lol. I don't think they would give anybody a problem with a Virginia license since it is accepted in Texas. The problem is I would have to wait till late June to take my CHL here in Texas since I was not sure if we were staying here after getting medical help for mold sickness and waited to make sure we were staying before getting my Texas license and changing my address. Texas has the best mold doctors in the country! So now I would have to wait 6 months to be able to get a CHL and I don't feel like becoming a victim between then. Too many gang bangers, people getting robbed and home break ins and invasions going on these days. So this is my best route to take right now. A lot of people moving to Texas have gone this route lately. I have already talked to the Texas State Police and Houston Police and they said that it's completely legit and that they have been doing a lot of fingerprint cards for Virginia lately. Probably because they just moved here or the classes were stuffed then. Yah my buddies are on a list incase anybody cancels out. You gave me a good idea and I will go take the class just to know and say I did it. I did learn the laws here but a certificate of completion would also be good. I will have like 4 certificates then lol. I am sure I can have multiple CHL's too so I will go for my Texas license in late June and use the other when I go back to visit Texas as a back up license. My wife is from here and I love Texas. I love the mountains but I don't think we will ever be going back to snow now lol. My wife is going in to business with her dad so she will be able to work from home and we can start a family so it looks like Texas will be our home for now on. I really like how you can fish all year round down here. Hopefully all the gun companies will start moving down this way and we will be able to get guns for cheap money then. I know that Remington's are dirt cheap in VA which was cool. Also AR's were a lot cheaper but who knows how long they will be available in VA. A lot of crazy libs are moving in to the north and making their way down through the state. Pretty darn sad these days. We have been here since July 3rd. I couldn't even take the course now if I got my license here when we first arrived due to having been hit by someone while waiting at a light on a service road. They were going over 50mph and now I have 3 broken ribs and couldn't shoot a gun to save my own life right now. She was talking on the phone and moving over multiple lanes without looking forward. My Equinox got totaled which really sucks. But I was wearing my seat belt so I guess I should just be thankful to be alive. Thanks for the heads up and giving me the idea to go through the course Borane4. Better to have it under my belt than go through a bunch of crap in court.

Last edited by bowbuilder1971; 02/24/13 07:45 PM.
Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: notamtchance] #4079432 02/24/13 07:38 PM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Thank you for the heads up on this class. Are there groupons always available? My wife wants to take the course too but we won't be going any time soon till she can legally get hers. Hey quick question. If she takes the course is it okay to wait to turn the certificate in when she hits the 6 months of having her residency here? We could take it and sit on the certificate till she is here legally for 6 months then send it out. Biggest kicker is she just spent $100.00 2 years ago for her FID and didn't even use it in MA lol. They make you shoot a 22, 45, 9, rifle and shotgun through the course she took. I went through the course with her as a refresher since it is free to go to if you don't pay for the certificate at the end. The cool thing this course did was any time you wanted the certificate you could just send them the $100.00 and they would send it out to you. My buddy went through and did that for his son since he couldn't afford $200.00 at the time. Now they can't even get a high capacity license to buy a handgun in the state. What a joke MA is. Now they are planning on moving out to a more republican friendly state.

Originally Posted By: notamtchance
Bigboartactical.com phone # is 9727879978 out if The Collony. You can also get a groupon for 50.00 for 1 or husband and wife for 99. Wife and I did it a couple of weeks ago and it was very good.

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: tmds3] #4079456 02/24/13 07:54 PM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: tmds3

X10....great instructor, interesting and fun one day training. cheers

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: brent1] #4079482 02/24/13 08:05 PM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
It was because we didn't know if we were staying after being seen by doctors here so we didn't change our residency over till recently from VA. In Texas you have to have a license or drivers license for 6 months before you can qualify for a CHL here. We have been here since July 3rd 2012 but kept our residency and rented house due to we were in a lease in VA. We cam don here to stay with the wifes family and get treated for mold sickness from the house we were renting. We were going to terminate the lease agreement but were given a new house to live in there to finish out our lease. So now a member gave me a good idea of taking the course once I am here 6 months legally and get my CHL here too. Between now and June I don't feel like becoming a victim because I couldn't defend myself. We live in West Houston and there are gang bangers and break ins going on a lot. They just moved them in to the neighborhood and the crime rate has been sky rocketing. Someone tried to break in to our neighbors house last week and my in laws house was robbed 3 years ago here. Been caught in the middle of cross fire in MA in the 90's and it's not fun. So hopefully I will never have to be in a situation and defend myself. There are ranges all over here which is really cool. God I love Texas. We are making this our permanent home now and the wife is glad to be back home and around her family. In MA you have to get a high capacity license to own a handgun or large capacity rifle. The problem is you could have a clean record, get the okay from the feds and state police and then the local police station has the final say. They could tell you no we don't want it in our town and there is nothing you can do about it. Crazy right!!!! My friend actually moved from his home town due to they turned him down for a CHL. My father is best friends with the Chief of police in the town, my aunt is his secretary , I served my country and have a completely clean record and was turned down for no reason what so ever! I grew up in Belmont MA (where Romney says he's from) and actually used to drive Mitt around and still got turned down. They actually have lawyers in MA that specialize in going to court to help you get your CHL and high capacity license in the state. It costs a lot of money to do that too. Sorry for the rambling but I am currently bed ridden and bored lol. Was hit by a car and broke 3 ribs even while wearing my seat belt. The lady totaled my Equinox and I couldn't shoot a gun right now to save my own life at the moment. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Ricky V.

Originally Posted By: brent1
Im curious why anyone would want to take an out of state chl ? Wouldnt you rather take a texas chl class
A) give your $$ to texas
B) learn texas chl laws and not a states laws that you will not carry in

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: Mr. Clean] #4079491 02/24/13 08:09 PM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
My wife has friends up that way so we will definitely check them out once she has her 6 months along with me to qualify for the Texas CHL. Do you know if you can take the course earlier and hold on to the certificate and send it in once we have the legal amount of residency time that qualifies a person to get a CHL please. Thanks for also recommending them too.

Originally Posted By: Mr. Clean
Originally Posted By: tmds3

X10....great instructor, interesting and fun one day training. cheers

Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: bowbuilder1971] #4079515 02/24/13 08:23 PM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Yes, they rub groupons all the time. I believe you have a year to turn in6your paper work. It might even be 2 years.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: CHL Class Recommendation [Re: notamtchance] #4079628 02/24/13 09:29 PM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
That is awesome. Thanks a lot for your help notamtchance. Will definitely check out the class.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide