Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,693
Posts9,727,861
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. #4071110 02/21/13 05:27 AM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I am joining a lease where you can train your dogs on for bird hunting west of Houston. They let you build coops there to train your dogs with so I am looking in to building a Johnny House big enough to hold 50 Quail in it. So far I have looked at how to build a good feeder, watering device, installing a predator proof recall door, making sun rooms and how to build a basic Johnny House. Does anybody have any tips for me on building a style of perch or raising them please. I have been reading up on some techniques on how to raise Quail Chicks but want to know how everyone does it down here. I am going to buy a brooder and raise them for awhile at home in our atrium before bringing them to the coop house. Planning on doing this in the next couple of months. Also looking in to getting night guards to put around the coop house to keep predators away. Any thoughts on if they work please? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ricky V.

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: bowbuilder1971] #4072406 02/21/13 06:50 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I didn't use my Johnny house this year. I probably need to give it away. I have the feeders, and water jars. It wil load onto a pickup truck. I think I'm only around 20 miles from your lease. Let me give it a little more thought, and I'll get back to you.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: bill oxner] #4072449 02/21/13 07:05 PM
K
KEILER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
I would like more info on the lease. I'm always looking for a place close to Houston to work with my dog. I usually end up at Top Flight or Rio Brazos. I have a one year old GSP and just put a deposit on a second GSP pup to be born next month. Please PM me the info if possible. Thanks.

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: KEILER] #4072722 02/21/13 08:34 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: KEILER
I would like more info on the lease. I'm always looking for a place close to Houston to work with my dog. I usually end up at Top Flight or Rio Brazos. I have a one year old GSP and just put a deposit on a second GSP pup to be born next month. Please PM me the info if possible. Thanks.

I just took a guess, because the only place I'm aware of is where NSTRA holds it's Katy trials. NSTRA has no connection to the lease. They pay to participate.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: bill oxner] #4073736 02/22/13 02:41 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I like pigeons way better . When I launch birds I want them to fly completely out of the training area so I know exactly what birds are planted where at all times

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: bill oxner] #4074194 02/22/13 10:22 AM
B
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I didn't use my Johnny house this year. I probably need to give it away. I have the feeders, and water jars. It wil load onto a pickup truck. I think I'm only around 20 miles from your lease. Let me give it a little more thought, and I'll get back to you.

Just as my luck would have it, I was rear ended (more towards the rear quarter panel) yesterday while waiting at a stop light on the Katy Freeway service road and my Equinox was totaled. The lady hit me going over 50mph crossing over lanes while not paying attention. Now I have 3 broken ribs (while wearing my seat belt) and pretty banged up. If you do decide that you don't want it and can hold on to it for about a month or two once I can lift things then I would be glad to come and pick it up with a rented truck from Home Depot. I build fishing rods and have a pretty huge selection and would gladly give you a rod for a trade. Thank you very much for your offer.

Sincerely,

Ricky V.

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: bill oxner] #4074197 02/22/13 10:36 AM
B
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
As far as I know about the lease so far, it is a private lease and I will be the last person allowed on it as they are full. But when I get on the lease this week I would gladly invite you over so you can work your dogs for a day if you would like. Might be awhile since I was in a car accident yesterday and have 3 broken ribs and am banged up right now. I have to read the lease agreement and see the conditions of inviting a guest on the property but am sure it is fine since we were invited there for a day through a mutual friend who knows someone on the lease. I believe there is also a gentleman who rents out the use of his pigeons on the property so you wouldn't have to worry about bringing birds with you. I will get back to you by the end of next week to fill you in on everything through a PM. If I hear of a spot opening up on the lease then I will definitely let you know too. Congrats on your new GSP!!!

Sincerely,

Ricky V.
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

I just took a guess, because the only place I'm aware of is where NSTRA holds it's Katy trials. NSTRA has no connection to the lease. They pay to participate.

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: blanked] #4074201 02/22/13 10:45 AM
B
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
From what I was told by the gentleman who invited us through a mutual friend, there is a gentleman there who rents out the use of his pigeons on the property so I believe I will be covered for pigeons. For some reason my dog goes bonkers for Quail lol. She was introduced to them when she started training and when we lived in VA they were everywhere due to them being the states game bird. They had Bobwhite Quail everywhere where we lived in VA. My friends back in MA train their dogs on pigeons too. They get fast flight pigeons from a guy who raises them. Love watching them miss them all day with their shotguns lol! Thank you for the help.

Sincerely,

Ricky V.

Originally Posted By: blanked
I like pigeons way better . When I launch birds I want them to fly completely out of the training area so I know exactly what birds are planted where at all times

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: bowbuilder1971] #4076185 02/23/13 01:30 AM
K
KEILER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
I hope you get better soon. I was plowed into at a stop light many years ago. It's a helpless feeling seeing that person in your rearview mirror and not slowing down and traffic pouring through the intersection in front of you.

I will take you up on the offer to train together in the future. Let me know. And if you hear of anyone dropping off the lease I would be interested.

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: KEILER] #4076719 02/23/13 06:24 AM
B
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Thank you. I always seem to get hit from behind while sitting at a light. This is the 5th time in my life. 4 Times while living in MA and now once here. My Equinox was in mint condition and worth $37,000.00 when bought. It was the showroom model with the side step pipes all decked out and now the insurance company tells me they are going to give back half of that when I had less than a year to pay off the rest, low mileage and a lot put in to it!!! Someone is getting sued for the difference. Why should I get stuck having to buy a crappy car for being hit from behind is the way I see it. I loved that vehicle. Luckily we have a Chevy Cruze too so we are not stuck with a rental car. Hate those damn things. I am either going to get an extended cab Chevy truck with a custom cap on it or something comparable. They never slowed down so I never seen her coming a me. Stinks because I just had steroid shots in my back 9 days before it happened. They were working too and I finally felt like a million bucks. Plus I was supposed to start the NRA Gunsmithing school in OK in late may which will probably be out of the question now. Sorry for the rambling here. As soon as I get better and am on this lease I will be able to take you up there. Talked to my buddy today and he gave me the details. Once there is an opening I will definitely let you know through PM.

Thanks again,

Ricky V.
I hope you get better soon. I was plowed into at a stop light many years ago. It's a helpless feeling seeing that person in your rearview mirror and not slowing down and traffic pouring through the intersection in front of you.

I will take you up on the offer to train together in the future. Let me know. And if you hear of anyone dropping off the lease I would be interested.

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: blanked] #4077481 02/23/13 06:36 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: blanked

I generally agree, especially when training more than one dog. I like quail because I can be done with them after training season. I don't fly my quail out of the Johnny house. I put several in my bird bag and plant them.

[Linked Image]

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: bill oxner] #4079225 02/24/13 05:38 PM
B
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I am planning on planting the birds under tip traps for my dog to find. Going to make the traps myself to save some money. Thanks.

Re: Need help on getting a Quail coop together and raising techniques please. [Re: bowbuilder1971] #4127303 03/18/13 12:04 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This Johnny house is now free to a good home. I PMed Bowbuilder and never got a reply. There's no big rush, but I would like to have it removed by next season. All the equipment goes with it.

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide