Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Disarming Vets begins. #4072427 02/21/13 06:57 PM
T
TF Panther Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Written By Constitutional Attorney Michael Connelly, J.D.

How would you feel if you received a letter from the U.S. Government informing you that because of a physical or mental condition that the government says you have it is proposing to rule that you are incompetent to handle your own financial affairs? Suppose that letter also stated that the government is going to appoint a stranger to handle your affairs for you at your expense? That would certainly be scary enough but it gets worse.

What if that letter also stated: “A determination of incompetency will prohibit you from purchasing, possessing, receiving, or transporting a firearm or ammunition. If you knowingly violate any of these prohibitions, you may be fined, imprisoned, or both pursuant to the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, Pub.L.No. 103-159, as implemented at 18, United States Code 924(a)(2).”?

That makes is sound like something right from a documentary on a tyrannical dictatorship somewhere in the world. Yet, as I write this I have a copy of such a letter right in front of me. It is being sent by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of America’s heroes. In my capacity as Executive Director of the United States Justice Foundation (USJF) I have been contacted by some of these veterans and the stories I am getting are appalling.

The letter provides no specifics on the reasons for the proposed finding of incompetency; just that is based on a determination by someone in the VA. In every state in the United States no one can be declared incompetent to administer their own affairs without due process of law and that usually requires a judicial hearing with evidence being offered to prove to a judge that the person is indeed incompetent. This is a requirement of the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution that states that no person shall “… be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law…”.

Obviously, the Department of Veterans Affairs can’t be bothered by such impediments as the Constitution, particularly since they are clearly pushing to fulfill one of Obama’s main goals, the disarming of the American people. Janet Napolitano has already warned law enforcement that some of the most dangerous among us are America’s heroes, our veterans, and now according to this letter from the VA they can be prohibited from buying or even possessing a firearm because of a physical or mental disability.

Think about it, the men and women who have laid their lives on the line to defend us and our Constitution are now having their own Constitutional rights denied. There are no clear criteria for the VA to declare a veteran incompetent. It can be the loss of a limb in combat, a head injury, a diagnosis of PTSD, or even a soldier just telling someone at the VA that he or she is depressed over the loss of a buddy in combat. In none of these situations has the person been found to be a danger to themselves or others. If that was the case than all of the Americans who have suffered from PTSD following the loss of a loved one or from being in a car accident would also have to be disqualified from owning firearms. It would also mean that everyone who has ever been depressed for any reason should be disarmed. In fact, many of the veterans being deprived of their rights have no idea why it is happening.

The answer seems to be it is simply because they are veterans. At the USJF we intend to find the truth by filing a Freedom of Information Act request to the Department of Veterans Affairs to force them to disclose the criteria they are using to place veterans on the background check list that keeps them from exercising their Second Amendment rights. Then we will take whatever legal steps are necessary to protect our American warriors.

The reality is that Obama will not get all of the gun control measures he wants through Congress, and they wouldn’t be enough for him anyway. He wants a totally disarmed America so there will be no resistance to his plans to rob us of our nation. That means we have to ask who will be next. If you are receiving a Social Security check will you get one of these letters? Will the government declare that you are incompetent because of your age and therefore banned from firearm ownership. It certainly fits in with the philosophy and plans of the Obama administration. It is also certain that our military veterans don’t deserve this and neither do any other Americans.

-- Michael Connelly, J.D.

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: TF Panther] #4072546 02/21/13 07:34 PM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Sad day for this country....

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: Dragonuv] #4073128 02/21/13 10:57 PM
H
hornedfrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Dad is Viet Nam vet. He said for last couple of years at VA you never even mention the words stress, depression, anger, or guns. He has heard the mere mention of these words can cause real issues for gun owners. He fears combat vets will be first to loose guns.

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: Dragonuv] #4073155 02/21/13 11:06 PM
T
target1911 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Link?

It does not surprise me at all. The gov has been getting away with whatever they want.....and even when called out like in fast n furious, or bengazi, they get a bad case of shut mouth and don't have to answer for their wrong doings.

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: Dragonuv] #4073168 02/21/13 11:11 PM
K
Kung Fu Widgeon Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Uninformed people should not be allowed to vote these kinds morons that propose such idiotic things,in to office

Last edited by ElkSlayer; 02/21/13 11:13 PM.
Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: hornedfrog] #4073332 02/22/13 12:34 AM
C
Chris/HOU Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: hornedfrog
Dad is Viet Nam vet. He said for last couple of years at VA you never even mention the words stress, depression, anger, or guns. He has heard the mere mention of these words can cause real issues for gun owners. He fears combat vets will be first to loose guns.

I bet they will be the first to fight it as well.

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: Chris/HOU] #4073392 02/22/13 12:54 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The OP statement said that the Veterans Administration has sent veterans a letter about this. Bullshirt. The writer of this Connelly creates these fairy tales every so often.

I have been under VA care since 1969, I am combat veteran, Purple Heart, CIB and pot full of other salad making ribbons. If anyone would get the letter I would have. Where is my letter???

All he has written is a "What if" scenario, so here is mine, "What if" pigs could fly, would the feds declare them migratory animals and make us buy "Federal Pig Stamps?

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: dogcatcher] #4074592 02/22/13 03:05 PM
T
TF Panther Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Here is the Link. Just one of many. http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/02/...se-of-firearms/

Also Dogcathcer just because you did not get a letter does not mean no one else did.

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: TF Panther] #4074603 02/22/13 03:09 PM
T
TF Panther Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Also Dogcatcher here is another link. Hardly bull snot. THis is part of the NDAA. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/3/change-on-veterans-gun-rights-lights-fire

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: TF Panther] #4074636 02/22/13 03:19 PM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
My Father used the VA after Vietnam as well. I can guarantee you that if he gets a letter like that, The 2nd civil war will begin in Cisco, TX.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 02/22/13 03:20 PM.
Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: TF Panther] #4074924 02/22/13 04:56 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TF Panther
Here is the Link. Just one of many. http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/02/...se-of-firearms/

Also Dogcathcer just because you did not get a letter does not mean no one else did.

Isolated cases doesn't mean crap. If a veteran does have mental issues, what gives him or her any special right over a non veterans? NOTHING, being a veteran doesn't earn us any special privileges. This is scare bullshirt and not anything else. Nothing new here, this has been going on for years. Bring something to the table that means something.

[Linked Image]
Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: dogcatcher] #4074962 02/22/13 05:09 PM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Isolated cases doesn't mean crap. If a veteran does have mental issues, what gives him or her any special right over a non veterans? NOTHING, being a veteran doesn't earn us any special privileges. This is scare bullshirt and not anything else. Nothing new here, this has been going on for years. Bring something to the table that means something.

Are you/Were you a federal employee? Just curious..

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: Kung Fu Widgeon] #4074969 02/22/13 05:11 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: ElkSlayer
Uninformed people should not be allowed to vote these kinds morons that propose such idiotic things,in to office

I agree. We need to figure out a way to keep the majority of people from voting. All they do is mess up things for the rest of us.

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: dogcatcher] #4074980 02/22/13 05:14 PM
T
TF Panther Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Here's some differences. A court is required for a civillian to have their rights removed, you know DUE PROCESS. A note to DHS is all that is required from the VA. Civillians also have patient doctor confidentiality. I guess you support the gun bans too, you obviously being a Democrat.

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: TF Panther] #4075016 02/22/13 05:21 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Advocating disallowing a mental case from wandering around with firearm make a person a Democrat? That is scary!

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: TF Panther] #4075034 02/22/13 05:27 PM
T
TF Panther Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
How are veterans supposed to get any real help while trying to figure out how not to get turned in? One of my old soldiers needed to talk to someone. He needed some help. I said "Hey have you been to the VA"? He got mad at me and said "You think I want to give up my rights"? No trust equals no help for returning Vets. You can't say we are here for you, but if we think your depressed we are going to turn you in!

Read the Washington Post Link I posted also Dog Catcher. Vets should not have less rights under the law or should they?

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: dogcatcher] #4075035 02/22/13 05:27 PM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
The big question with the new legislation is related to the "incompetent" statement. What are the parameters of their proposal?

I couldn't find where they distinguish between soldiers with PTSD and soldiers who are taking mind altering drugs to cope with their PTSD. It would be good to know exactly what in the proposal defines a soldier as incompetent. Simply having PTSD should not be a reason.

Are they now going to consider anyone who files for VA benefits or counseling because of PTSD, as incompetent? What is in this new proposal that is different than the old guidelines? As DogCatcher stated, there are already measures in place to deal with individuals, whether civilian or military; so why this new bill? Apparently it redefines the keyword "incompetent" somewhere in it. Just how far they will go in their new definition is what people are concerned with I believe.

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: aeb] #4075272 02/22/13 07:11 PM
T
TF Panther Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: aeb
Advocating disallowing a mental case from wandering around with firearm make a person a Democrat? That is scary!

Not excactly but supporting the removal of Veterans Rights because we are the easiest target due to the fact we get government HC with obviously no privacy with our care, in a vague and arbitrary manner, with no set guidelines for cause and with no way to establish the return of those rights all done without due process does.

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: TF Panther] #4075297 02/22/13 07:19 PM
T
TF Panther Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
This is a slippery slope. We are a nation of laws. If someone wishes to take away your rights it needs to be done in a court, not in a letter that is based on "because I said so".

Say a Soccer mom goes to a doctor. Tells him she has been feeling blue, you know, kids, work, husband etc. Doc ask "do you have a gun at home"? "Yes I have a CHL and my husband has lots". The Doc gives her a script for anti depressants or valiums, whatever. Question???? Should the Doctor be required or able to call DHS and have the husbands guns removed from the home and or have his or her CHL revoked?

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: TF Panther] #4075351 02/22/13 07:36 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Still the question, has anyone seen one of these letters? I literally know thousands of Vietnam veterans, and nobody has mentioned getting one, at least a 100 have been through the PTSD program as the Waco VA.

I am a life member of most veteran organizations, where is their out cry? Or is the is a "crying wolf" to sell tinfoil hats?

[Linked Image]
Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: dogcatcher] #4075430 02/22/13 08:08 PM
T
TF Panther Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Since you did not read this when I posted it above. Guess the Wash Times has their hats on too.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/3/change-on-veterans-gun-rights-lights-fire

The only thing Republicans (Tom Coburn R OK) asked for was due process of law for veterans. Denied by Chuck Schumer (D NY).

Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: Chris/HOU] #4076125 02/23/13 01:03 AM
X
Xman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
X
Originally Posted By: Chris/HOU

This Vet will!

Shoot ... Reload ... Shoot ... Call 911
Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: Xman] #4076420 02/23/13 03:05 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Makes me sick. Makes me furious. On the other end of the spectrum, they've been busily using the public school systems to 'diagnose' every other kid (that agitates a teacher) with some mental disorder. So basically, 50% of the entire next generation will be "unfit" to defend themselves. All with the help of the public school system.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: Xman] #4076423 02/23/13 03:06 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Xman
Originally Posted By: Chris/HOU

This Vet will!

up And many patriots will back them!!!!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Disarming Vets begins. [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #4076496 02/23/13 03:43 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
This is why the total back ground check is part of the agenda. Just another step at labeling people unfit to own a gun. Just my .02

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide