Page 1 of 2 1 2
Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? #4072849 02/21/13 09:26 PM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I am friends with the game wardens and park police in this area. I have been seeing the land being cleared out like crazy.

A warden told me that the TPWD "biologist" struck a deal with the turkey federation.

Said a dallas mulch company gives them 20 a truck load for the cedars, and in exchange the Turkey federation will release some turkeys.

Destroy the land for deer for some turkeys???

WTH is going on with the TPWD????. Unless I am missing something obvious this is a typical government waste plan.

It sickens me to see all that pretty land cleared.

Last edited by DallasShootingSupplies; 02/21/13 10:02 PM.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #4072874 02/21/13 09:34 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
When I was a boy, they figured East Texas needed some Turkey, so they asked all of the private hunting clubs to pay $25 a bird and
they'd stock the area...They brought Rio Grande Turkeys to the 17,000 acre Cherokee Club, and then a yr. later took it over even though the members had been restocking deer and turkey at their own expense...became Cherokee Wildlife Mgmt ect..and they let everyone kill what the guys who paid for had stocked..They have a
Track Record..of, the Turkey died, of course..couldn't stand the
wet/moisture..they were from the Hill Country..dd

Last edited by Don Dial; 02/21/13 09:34 PM.
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: Don Dial] #4072890 02/21/13 09:39 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Im not from dallas and really have no idea of where you are talking about.

To me it doesnt sound so bad though. Sure the trees are pretty, but they arent ment to live forever. Wild fire use to wipe it all out, whats the difference if the govt cuts it down sells it and stocks some turkey instead?

Maybe im wrong who knows.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: Don Dial] #4072898 02/21/13 09:41 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D

Wow, thats wild man.

Originally Posted By: Don Dial
When I was a boy, they figured East Texas needed some Turkey, so they asked all of the private hunting clubs to pay $25 a bird and
they'd stock the area...They brought Rio Grande Turkeys to the 17,000 acre Cherokee Club, and then a yr. later took it over even though the members had been restocking deer and turkey at their own expense...became Cherokee Wildlife Mgmt ect..and they let everyone kill what the guys who paid for had stocked..They have a
Track Record..of, the Turkey died, of course..couldn't stand the
wet/moisture..they were from the Hill Country..dd

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: redchevy] #4072901 02/21/13 09:42 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
.clearcutting and turkeys don't jive.

Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: redchevy] #4072906 02/21/13 09:43 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D

Its bad for people doing public hunts. I luckily have some private land in this area to hunt, but he said the public hunters are calling them alot mad.

Originally Posted By: redchevy

To me it doesnt sound so bad though. Sure the trees are pretty, but they arent ment to live forever. Wild fire use to wipe it all out, whats the difference if the govt cuts it down sells it and stocks some turkey instead?

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: rifleman] #4072910 02/21/13 09:44 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: rifleman
.clearcutting and turkeys don't jive.

Well, they are supposed to only be taking the cedars down, but if another tree is in the way they can take it down too.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #4072957 02/21/13 10:00 PM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Most timber cutting isn't bad for wildlife - in fact it greatly enhances the habitat.

JR

Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: jrgocards] #4072966 02/21/13 10:03 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: jrgocards
Most timber cutting isn't bad for wildlife - in fact it greatly enhances the habitat.

JR

Must be different in my area. My grandpas land is one mile from ours, his is mostly clear. Ours is heavily wooded.

I have only once seen a deer at his land and see them everytime I go to my land. Have never seen a hog on his land as well, mine is covered.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #4072999 02/21/13 10:15 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
clearcutting is good for deer, it takes away the canopy and puts browse down at their level. It grows back too thick to walk through, which deer will use for cover and so their lazy butts don't even have to stand to eat. Turkeys, on the other hand, need the canopy to roost and if you concentrate them to SMZs they're sitting ducks. Turkeys can thrive in select cut and 3rd rowed tracts..cut it all down and they have to leave to survive.

Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: rifleman] #4073073 02/21/13 10:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Cedar is not good deer browse habitat. It is bedding cover. The clearing will bring on new browse and forb growth over time. It should make better deer habitat which means better deer in the long run. It will create edges which will benefit both deer and turkey. I see it being a win win situation if they leave enough cover in pockets for cover. In time it will do what rifleman is saying. Good plan to get paid while getting it cleared of water sucking worthless cedar. Most people have to pay to get cedar cleared off their land.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA??????????? [Re: stxranchman] #4073219 02/21/13 11:40 PM
T
treeclimbe_86 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I agree with most of you'll. I hunted that wma pretty hard one year and it was super thick. But not with really good stuff that are good for the deer. It was mostly bois darc, a lot of cedar and hackberry. Which really are not that great for the deer or turkey. The place has a lot of potential just seemed to me after acorns the deer left the area for the thousands of acres of winter wheat that surrounds the area. Maybe this deal really will improve the wma for the better. I'm thinking it probably will.

Aim small, miss small.
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #4073279 02/22/13 12:09 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Im thinking maybe TP&W "struck" a deal, as I don't think the Biologist can enter into an agreement on state land... could be wrong though.
The mulch is probably going to LETCO for Cedar Mulch.... an organic treatment for bugs around the house. If true, maybe they should hit up the biologist for PK... they have a few cedars also
Originally Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies
I am friends with the game wardens and park police in this area. I have been seeing the land being cleared out like crazy.

A warden told me that the TPWD "biologist" struck a deal with the turkey federation.

Said a dallas mulch company gives them 20 a truck load for the cedars, and in exchange the Turkey federation will release some turkeys.

Destroy the land for deer for some turkeys???

WTH is going on with the TPWD????. Unless I am missing something obvious this is a typical government waste plan.

It sickens me to see all that pretty land cleared.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: hoof n wings] #4073422 02/22/13 01:01 AM
T
Txduckman Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
T
When were cedar trees good for wildlife besides bedding cover for deer and bird nests? Seems like a win/win.

Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: redchevy] #4073526 02/22/13 01:36 AM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla

Some studies show what you're referring to about wildfires, but other studies disagree. It's now believed that early Native Americans used controlled burning to improve hunting grounds.
Deer do flock to clearcuts for the new browse and because of the thick underbrush just appear to be less in number than before.

Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: Big Orn] #4073540 02/22/13 01:39 AM
D
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I have learned alot, thanks!

Yall really know this stuff good.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #4073664 02/22/13 02:18 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Yeah some guys on here really know their schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtuff.... grin

Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: stxranchman] #4073679 02/22/13 02:23 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Cedar is not good deer browse habitat. It is bedding cover. The clearing will bring on new browse and forb growth over time. It should make better deer habitat which means better deer in the long run. It will create edges which will benefit both deer and turkey. I see it being a win win situation if they leave enough cover in pockets for cover. In time it will do what rifleman is saying. Good plan to get paid while getting it cleared of water sucking worthless cedar. Most people have to pay to get cedar cleared off their land.

Yeah some guys on here really know their schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtuff.... grin

I'm printing this off and framing it!

Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: stxranchman] #4073680 02/22/13 02:23 AM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla

Said the wise old owl... grin

Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: Big Orn] #4073688 02/22/13 02:25 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Big Orn

Said the wise old owl... grin

I'll take that as a compliment from a wiser old owl...grin

Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: stxranchman] #4074619 02/22/13 03:13 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
So do you two wise old owls know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tutsi Pop? grin

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: redchevy] #4074789 02/22/13 04:10 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
So do you two wise old owls know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tutsi Pop? grin
Uh, the Tutsi are an African tribe.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #4074855 02/22/13 04:33 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Uh, the Tutsi are an African tribe.

ok ok tootsi ya happy. I even googled it before I posted it and a dam picture of an owl with a sucker that said Tutsi pop came up.... oh well you know what I mean up

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: redchevy] #4075090 02/22/13 05:51 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Just remember, Google is run by a bunch of lefties, so always take anything you find there with a grain of salt. flag

And to get back on topic - I think the only good cedar is one that's covered by lake water.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Clear cutting of the Cooper WMA? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #4075229 02/22/13 06:49 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Just remember, Google is run by a bunch of lefties, so always take anything you find there with a grain of salt. flag

When I need the real word on something, I dig out my copy of the Encyclopędia Britannica.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide