Colorado Mag Ban #4049867 02/13/13 03:41 PM
L
Lochsley123 Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
L

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/c...-round-magazine

After several hours of impassioned testimony mostly from opponents to a measure to ban ammo magazines of more than 10 rounds, Colorado's House Judiciary Committee late Tuesday night passed the measure.

But the bill, sponsored by state Rep. Rhonda Fields, D-Aurora, was amended by her colleagues to increase that limit to 15 rounds.

State Rep. Mike McLachlan, D- Durango, who sits on the committee, offered the amendment to, he said, allow citizens to protect themselves.

"Fifteen is a reasonable number, and this is what I'm going to ask in my amendment," McLachlan said.

Other amendments to the bill also were expected.

The House Judiciary Committee consists of seven Democrats and four Republicans,

Former Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agent David Chipman said a magazine ban is essential.

"It will keep killers from being killing machines," Chipman said.

In its form at the time of publication, House Bill 1224 prohibits the sale or possession of gun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds or more than five shotgun shells.

The bill says that if an individual already owns a high-capacity magazine on the effective date of the bill's becoming law, then that individual may retain it. Prosecutors would bear the burden of proof that an owner violated the new stricture.

However, manufacturers would still be able to produce these magazines within the state.

Charles Robles traveled from Colorado Springs and said had it not been for a high-capacity magazine, he would not be alive.

"It helped me engage the three men who were shooting at me," said Robles in reference to a 2002 Memorial Day robbery at his small business. "I was shot five times, but I was able to save my life and fend off my attackers. "

Doug Smith, chief operating officer of the Colorado-based ammunition magazine manufacturer Magpul, said the measure would force his company to leave Colorado and take with it an estimated $85 million in potential spending this year.

"Passage would devastate the company," he said of the measure.

State Rep. Daniel Kagan, D-Cherry Hills Village, who chairs the committee, said he did not want Magpul to leave the state.

"I want to protect manufacturing in Colorado," Kagan said.

But that didn't sit well with Lee Reedy, who traveled from Brighton with his wife to testify.

"It's hypocritical," Reedy said in an interview. "On one end they're saying we want the jobs and revenue from producing these magazines, but on the other end, they're saying if you live in Colorado, then you can't possess one."

Read more: Colorado House Committee passes amended gun magazine limit - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/c...e#ixzz2KnGv1EHn
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Originally Posted by rickym
What kind of lights does it shoot out?
Like are we talkin the mini bulb Christmas lights or a 500 watt flood light?

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Lochsley123] #4049884 02/13/13 03:46 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I would love to see all those AR manufacturers in NY and CT, move thier facilites to more pro-gun states. Same with Magpul.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Dry Fire] #4049920 02/13/13 03:58 PM
D
Divertex78 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Come on down to Texas!!

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Divertex78] #4049973 02/13/13 04:13 PM
D
ddr225 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Obviously smoking pot is bad, here is proof! Just say no!

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: ddr225] #4049995 02/13/13 04:17 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Shooot id swap those laws with them if we could have their others also lol....

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Navasot] #4050034 02/13/13 04:24 PM
S
Scary Poppins Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
So they're counting on folks being too high to figure out how to swap out a magazine?

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Scary Poppins] #4050150 02/13/13 04:49 PM
10ring Offline
Tracker
Tracker
And I'm sure everyone will be too high to protest and fight this bill on it's way to becoming law... it's truly a shame that Colorado was overrun and ruined by escaping Californians "and others"... Another state that has been ruined. I was born & raised there and I hang my head when I see what that state has become.

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: 10ring] #4050213 02/13/13 05:10 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Too bad they didn't spend that time in an attempt to control the "wolves". But what the heck! It's sounds good to the sheep.

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: 10ring] #4050220 02/13/13 05:11 PM
J
jefeh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Amen to too many californians. This state's legislature unfortunately doesn't represent the people. It used to be just in boulder, but now Denver is a lib haven. Most of them are blind to the fact that traveling 20 minutes from either puts you in the forest or farm country. They see the mountains from I-70 on the way to skiing, and the farms when they fly into DIA. They have no connection with the working man in this state. I will say I am glad to live in a county(Douglas) where the sheriff has stated he will not enforce laws that infringe on the second amendment.

I really don't see this bill becoming law. Time to buy a 3d printer!

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: jefeh] #4050686 02/13/13 07:50 PM
T
tth_40 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
"Fifteen is a reasonable number, and this is what I'm going to ask in my amendment," McLachlan said. (quote)

So Mr. McLachlan, how exactly did you determine that fifteen rounds is a "reasonable" number, and please explain your definition of "reasonable" as it pertains to the self defense needs of the citzens you claim to represent.

Or did you just arbitrarily pick this number out of thin air? What statistic did you use that got you to settle on that particular number?

People aren't learning. This is getting more ridiculous by the day. bang

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Dry Fire] #4050719 02/13/13 08:04 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
I would love to see all those AR manufacturers in NY and CT, move thier facilites to more pro-gun states. Same with Magpul.

Texas has a great opportunity right now to bring some tax dollars into the state. A lot of firearms related manufacturers are being effected in these states passing new laws. Even if they do not pass, it is a reflection of the direction of those states in the future. The benefit would not only be tax dollars, but if an struggling community in Texas were to invite these companies to their town, perhaps with tax breaks in the first few years and or selling them city owned land at a reduced cost to help offset the companies expense of moving, it would bring much needed jobs and associated new growth to those communities as well. Any texas politician or lawmaker not aggressively working on this RIGHT NOW is a fool IMHO.

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Sniper John] #4052325 02/14/13 07:09 AM
T
txhippo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

BEANS AND BULLETS
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: txhippo] #4052332 02/14/13 07:24 AM
C
centurion2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I would love to see Magpul put down some stakes in a small town ... like maybe Sanger or something north of Denton.

"No, I don't know everything. I am damn good with Google though"
"Never get into a gunfight with a buffalo hunter. There's no such thing as cover"
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Lochsley123] #4052404 02/14/13 12:17 PM
Core-Lokt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Quote:
“Your understanding of the bill is completely wrong,” Kagan said. “There is no restriction on manufacturing high-capacity magazines or anything else in the state of Colorado.”
I don't think Representative Kagan (hmm..wonder if he's related to Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan?) understands such concepts as hostile business environment or the irony of manufacturing a product illegal for in-state purchase?

Core-Lokt:The deadliest mushroom in the woods
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Core-Lokt] #4052414 02/14/13 12:29 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
It's funny how Colorado doesn't want you to sell or own a 30 round magazine in their state, but are ok with them being manufactured there. Talk about being a hypocrite.

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Sniper John] #4052504 02/14/13 01:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

Texas has a great opportunity right now to bring some tax dollars into the state. A lot of firearms related manufacturers are being effected in these states passing new laws. Even if they do not pass, it is a reflection of the direction of those states in the future. The benefit would not only be tax dollars, but if an struggling community in Texas were to invite these companies to their town, perhaps with tax breaks in the first few years and or selling them city owned land at a reduced cost to help offset the companies expense of moving, it would bring much needed jobs and associated new growth to those communities as well. Any texas politician or lawmaker not aggressively working on this RIGHT NOW is a fool IMHO.

I concur, and I bet as soon as production slows they are south bound

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4052853 02/14/13 03:39 PM
J
jefeh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I!m sure the only time Kagan has ever seen a magazine is on tv. Here's the district he represents, not exactly the average Coloradan.

Cherry Hills Village, Colorado is located in Arapahoe. Nearby cities and towns include Englewood, Glendale, Greenwood Village, Holly Hills and Sheridan. Cherry Hills Village is a suburban community with a population of 6,069. The median household income in Cherry Hills Village is $236,200. 75% of residents are married and families with children reside in 39% of Cherry Hills Village households. Half the population of Cherry Hills Village commutes 21 minutes or more to work, with 82% of residents holding white collar jobs and 18% residents holding blue collar jobs.
The median sale price of a home in Cherry Hills Village in the previous year was $1,039,250.

I hope magpul speaks at the legislature and tells them they plan on relocating if they ban the mags.

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Sniper John] #4053377 02/14/13 06:49 PM
Q
Quack Whacker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Q

up

Jesus Christ is Lord!
He is risen!
Genesis 9:2-3
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Divertex78] #4053586 02/14/13 07:58 PM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Divertex78
Come on down to Texas!!

+1

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Mike W] #4053665 02/14/13 08:24 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
So 31 dead bodies from an AR 15 is too many, but 16 dead bodies isn't?

Really? The bolt action rifle isn't dangerous with a 10 round A.I. mag though. No way could a guy get far away from "resistance" and cause big trouble. These people just don't get it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Quack Whacker] #4053981 02/14/13 10:21 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Quack Whacker

up

The other thing that needs to happen is all US Companies, Manufacturers, and importers that produce or sell any products that are defined within these new state bans as being illegal for the public to possess including ammunition for said firearms, need to in turn refuse to sell or ship their products to any law enforcement agency or any government entity within those states. Basically refuse to sell or ship their products to ANYONE residing in those states or to any business that in turn is found to have sold or shipped to anyone in those states. With a nationwide grass roots boycott from gun owners of any business that breaks that line as well as a nationwide boycott of any related firearms manufaturing business residing in those states that chooses to remain and conduct business in said state.

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Sniper John] #4054009 02/14/13 10:29 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Basically follow Olympic Arms Lead. From their facebook page posted two days ago.

Press Release: Olympic Arms, Inc. Announces New York State Sales Policy

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Olympic Arms is a staunch believer in and defender of the Constitution of the United States, and with special attention paid to the Bill of Rights that succinctly enumerates the security of our Divinely given Rights. One of those Rights is that to Keep and Bear Arms.

Legislation recently passed in the State of New York outlaws the AR15 and many other firearms, and will make it illegal for the good and free citizens of New York to own a large selection of legal and safe firearms and magazines. We feel as though the passage of this legislation exceeds the authority granted to the government of New York by its citizens, and violates the Constitution of the United States, ignoring such SCOTUS rulings as District of Columbia v. Heller - 554, U.S. 570 of 2008, McDonald v. Chicago - 561 U.S. 3025 of 2010, and specifically the case of United States v. Miller – 307 U.S. 174 of 1939.

Due the passing of this legislation, Olympic Arms would like to announce that the State of New York, any Law Enforcement Departments, Law Enforcement Officers, First Responders within the State of New York, or any New York State government entity or employee of such an entity - will no longer be served as customers.

In short, Olympic Arms will no longer be doing business with the State of New York or any governmental entity or employee of such governmental entity within the State of New York - henceforth and until such legislation is repealed, and an apology made to the good people of the State of New York and the American people.

If the leaders of the State of New York are willing to limit the right of the free and law abiding citizens of New York to arm themselves as they see fit under the Rights enumerate to all citizens of the United State through the Second Amendment, we feel as though the legislators and government entities within the State of New York should have to abide by the same restrictions.

This action has caused a division of the people into classes: Those the government deems valuable enough to protect with modern firearms, and those whose lives have been deemed as having less value, and whom the government has decided do not deserve the right to protect themselves with the same firearms. Olympic Arms will not support such behavior or policy against any citizen of this great nation.

Olympic Arms invites all firearms manufacturers, distributors and firearms dealers to join us in this action to refuse to do business with the State of New York. We must stand together, or we shall surely fall divided.

Sincerely,

Brian Schuetz
President
Olympic Arms, Inc.

Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Sniper John] #4054122 02/14/13 11:08 PM
Q
Quack Whacker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Q
Basically follow Olympic Arms Lead. From their facebook page posted two days ago.

Press Release: Olympic Arms, Inc. Announces New York State Sales Policy

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Olympic Arms is a staunch believer in and defender of the Constitution of the United States, and with special attention paid to the Bill of Rights that succinctly enumerates the security of our Divinely given Rights. One of those Rights is that to Keep and Bear Arms.

Legislation recently passed in the State of New York outlaws the AR15 and many other firearms, and will make it illegal for the good and free citizens of New York to own a large selection of legal and safe firearms and magazines. We feel as though the passage of this legislation exceeds the authority granted to the government of New York by its citizens, and violates the Constitution of the United States, ignoring such SCOTUS rulings as District of Columbia v. Heller - 554, U.S. 570 of 2008, McDonald v. Chicago - 561 U.S. 3025 of 2010, and specifically the case of United States v. Miller – 307 U.S. 174 of 1939.

Due the passing of this legislation, Olympic Arms would like to announce that the State of New York, any Law Enforcement Departments, Law Enforcement Officers, First Responders within the State of New York, or any New York State government entity or employee of such an entity - will no longer be served as customers.

In short, Olympic Arms will no longer be doing business with the State of New York or any governmental entity or employee of such governmental entity within the State of New York - henceforth and until such legislation is repealed, and an apology made to the good people of the State of New York and the American people.

If the leaders of the State of New York are willing to limit the right of the free and law abiding citizens of New York to arm themselves as they see fit under the Rights enumerate to all citizens of the United State through the Second Amendment, we feel as though the legislators and government entities within the State of New York should have to abide by the same restrictions.

This action has caused a division of the people into classes: Those the government deems valuable enough to protect with modern firearms, and those whose lives have been deemed as having less value, and whom the government has decided do not deserve the right to protect themselves with the same firearms. Olympic Arms will not support such behavior or policy against any citizen of this great nation.

Olympic Arms invites all firearms manufacturers, distributors and firearms dealers to join us in this action to refuse to do business with the State of New York. We must stand together, or we shall surely fall divided.

Sincerely,

Brian Schuetz
President
Olympic Arms, Inc.

up

Jesus Christ is Lord!
He is risen!
Genesis 9:2-3
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Quack Whacker] #4058082 02/16/13 02:42 PM
G
Gunsmoke1528 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I just read this morning that Colorado is trying hard to pass some gun control measures.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."
Re: Colorado Mag Ban [Re: Gunsmoke1528] #4089290 02/28/13 03:29 PM
G
godfather Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Well Magpul sold out, they will not be getting any more $ from me.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/02...ban-state-leos/

C 1/9
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide