Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking to get a Polaris/UTV #4042476 02/11/13 09:11 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Hey guys,

So... need to ask some questions, so know what to get:

I am thinking of getting a Polaris 500, has to be a crew. My wife is an amputee and does not have one foot or all her fingers, otherwise I would get a couple cheap 4-wheelers and call it done. We also have 2 small kiddos, so...with only $1000 difference between the 500 ranger and the crew, might as well go for the crew.

I actually visited a dealership Saturday and was not anticipating the price, please tell me if they simply are full of it:

1 - I have good credit rating, so should not be that bad. The only thing off on it is we spent 2 credit cards to build our cabin and they are pretty well maxed. Nothing we cannot handle and we expect to have them paid off in the next year or two, but we can use the UTV between now and then.

I was figuring 1-3k down payment, and that is what all the dealerships said is more than enough, till I got to this place and they said they would need 20% down without pulling credit.

They also said the average interest rate is 14.6%, which astounds me as they also did not mention that over the phone.

All in all, I was trying to get a plan to get the payments below 200, whether it was waiting longer and getting a better down payment or getting it financed for 60-72 months (again more that the same dealership told me on the phone and then denied when I got there).

How do you find the best deal? What is the average interest rate and payments to look for on a totally stock 500 Polaris plus the 5yr warranty?

Any tips on when and how and where to buy one?

I live around the Round Rock area and my ranch is in the Rocksprings area. Any assistance / insight would be wonderful.

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: JohnRussell] #4042683 02/11/13 01:55 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I would try to find other means of financing if it were me.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: twinbubba] #4042703 02/11/13 02:00 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Pass on the warranty, and you don't have to pay sales tax if you have a ranch. I would also try to find other means of financing if it were me.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: twinbubba] #4042714 02/11/13 02:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: twinbubba] #4042735 02/11/13 02:06 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: twinbubba
I would try to find other means of financing if it were me.

I hear ya.. I think it was a bait and switch thing.. I get a great story on the phone then the old "well, this is where your payments will be..."

thanks!

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: bill oxner] #4042753 02/11/13 02:11 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Pass on the warranty, and you don't have to pay sales tax if you have a ranch. I would also try to find other means of financing if it were me.

Why pass on the warranty? Just curious.

I cannot use the tax exemption with a Wildlife Exemption on my ranch as I do not "sell" anything. I went to the "getreadytexas.org" site to register my ranch and I did not see where I qualified for any sort of exemption, even though I am really only getting the polaris to help me with the work I do on the ranch, not for hunting.

Thanks for the input

STRanch - I'll check those out, ty!

Russ

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: JohnRussell] #4042784 02/11/13 02:19 PM
S
splash556 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I've heard Hoffpauir in Goldthwaite has very good prices and moves high volumes. I financed my 800 crew through polaris at 1.9% a year ago. Also didn't get the extended warranty. Factory warranty is only 6 months though.

Knock, knock, knock on wood, haven't needed it so far.

[Linked Image]
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: splash556] #4042823 02/11/13 02:33 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
yea, I hate applying for credit.. heh.. I always feel like I am going with my hat in my hand.

We will see how it goes.

Thanks and I will call them! Hopefully I can put enough down and get a good enough interest rate to get below 200.. so the wife will not shoot it down :P

Russ

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: JohnRussell] #4043784 02/11/13 06:58 PM
P
PriddyTxHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I bought a Mule and didn't have to put a dime down (I did though) and got a good interest rate. I was going to get my own financing but the dealer ran it through Sheffield Financial and I was happy with everything. Payment was lower than $200 like you mentioned.

8/22/09
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: PriddyTxHunter] #4043806 02/11/13 07:07 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Yea, I called Sheffield and they said it would run about 6.99% interest and below $200, which is exactly what I expected.

When we get our Polaris, it will be a 500 EFI totally stock. I do not want to keep adding stuff on, although I would love to have a roof and extra lights.

Ideas on those?

And thanks guys.

R

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: JohnRussell] #4043883 02/11/13 07:33 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
And.. I just called Haufpower and super straight forward. We ran the numbers and they came back with exactly what I expected.

Good to deal with straight shooters.

Now, to convince the wife.. lol

R

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: JohnRussell] #4043962 02/11/13 07:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You might check out Tommy Vaughn in Columbus. My buddy bought 2 Ranger Crews from them last summer after they beat Hofpauer's pricing.

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: stxranchman] #4044725 02/12/13 12:00 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I gave them a call. There is not any difference in prices when they all shoot straight with ya, which is fine by me.. heh

Thanks guys. I'll post pics if I con.. er talk my wife into the deal wink

R

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: JohnRussell] #4046054 02/12/13 12:15 PM
S
splash556 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
............... I do not want to keep adding stuff on, although I would love to have a roof and extra lights.

Ideas on those?.............

I waited to get a roof and windshield. Didn't want to add to the price until I was sure i would be happy with the UTV. Wish I had gotten them sooner now that I know the Ranger is a keeper.

The windshield was the hardest decision. Lot's of research shows that you'll get tons of dust dirt into the cab with a full windshield. I finally bought a windshield made by fortress in which the top half slides down. Great compromise. I leave the top half down most of the time. Keeps hands warm in the winter. If it's raining or has been raining, I slide it up. Probably take it off during the summers.

Fortress also makes a steel roof. Reasonably priced and popular. I went with a pro-box top. Kinda pricey. Came with a radio/ipod player and water proof speakers. Surprisingly very good sound quality. Can't hear it very well when running due to the open cab but great when picnicking, at the beach, or working on the back property. I actually use it (radio) in the garage or when working around the house now. As a plus it's strong enough to stand on which has helped me with feeders and trimming some branches.

[Linked Image]
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: splash556] #4046187 02/12/13 01:51 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: splash556
Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
............... I do not want to keep adding stuff on, although I would love to have a roof and extra lights.

Ideas on those?.............

I waited to get a roof and windshield. Didn't want to add to the price until I was sure i would be happy with the UTV. Wish I had gotten them sooner now that I know the Ranger is a keeper.

The windshield was the hardest decision. Lot's of research shows that you'll get tons of dust dirt into the cab with a full windshield. I finally bought a windshield made by fortress in which the top half slides down. Great compromise. I leave the top half down most of the time. Keeps hands warm in the winter. If it's raining or has been raining, I slide it up. Probably take it off during the summers.

Fortress also makes a steel roof. Reasonably priced and popular. I went with a pro-box top. Kinda pricey. Came with a radio/ipod player and water proof speakers. Surprisingly very good sound quality. Can't hear it very well when running due to the open cab but great when picnicking, at the beach, or working on the back property. I actually use it (radio) in the garage or when working around the house now. As a plus it's strong enough to stand on which has helped me with feeders and trimming some branches.

I think I am going to opt for getting a roof and lights and possibly a windshield as well, but the windshield may have to wait as I want to keep the price down, as I said.. but you are totally right and I did not think of that, a half windshield would be great to keep the hands warm.

R

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: JohnRussell] #4047256 02/12/13 06:43 PM
P
PriddyTxHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I would get the roof without a doubt. It is really nice in the summer when we are driving around filling feeders to be able to keep the sun from beating down on you. I got some lights similar to this for mine Link (but mine were like $40 for 2 of them) and mounted to my roof. However, with all the LED lights out there now, you would probably be better spending extra and getting those.

As far as the windshield, the bottom 6"-8" on mine flips up which is nice in the summer to get a breeze coming through there. The only thing I dislike about it is out at our lease it gets dusty and driving into the sun in the mornings or evenings it is hard to see out of the windshield. Other than that, I really like it.

Just my 2cents

8/22/09
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: PriddyTxHunter] #4047463 02/12/13 08:01 PM
JustWingem Offline
Gentleman Jack
Gentleman Jack
Windshields are a PAIN in dusty or rainy conditions. Rain due to no windshield wipers and dust will wrap around and get you and the passengers pretty gritty.
I have one but rarely use it. Thinking about making it a 1/2 windshield and see if that helps.

I just upgraded to a hard top. Have a soft top and it keeps the sun off but at higher speeds it pulls out of the supports and flops a bit. Nothing major just annoying.

The lighting look up in the classifieds for Cypress Legend. He has some good pricing on light bars.

DON'T GET CONFUSED BETWEEN MY PERSONALITY AND MY ATTITUDE. MY PERSONALITY IS WHO I AM...MY ATTITUDE DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE smile
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: JustWingem] #4047553 02/12/13 08:33 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have an older Ranger with top, windshield, & rear window. The windshield folds down if you want free flowing air. It sure blocks the cold wind in the winter.

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: donswin] #4047646 02/12/13 08:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I went with a half windshield from Cabelas from $90. I have used full and they are bad. The half was better but a friend told to raise it up about 2" or so above the hood or dash to allow some flow underneath it. Made a huge difference in the dust.

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: stxranchman] #4047690 02/12/13 09:09 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Roof is worth spending the money on...I hated my full windshield and sold it due to dust and dew always being on it when I needed to use it. So I sold it and bought a factory 1/2. It is slightly better than nothing but not worth the money they cost. Maybe if it was 4" taller I wouldn't feel the same.

Lighting and tires would be higher on my list than both a winch or a windshield.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: Judd] #4052596 02/14/13 02:25 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Russ, get the half windshield and the roof, also might consider the rear window. A friend of mine has had 2 Rangers. The first one had no windshield, roof or rear window. Dusty as all get out and if it rained you're SOL. These vehicles are incredible, they can go just about anywhere. His lease is mostly canyons. We have driven it up and down some areas that would scare a billy goat. Be sure and slime the tires. Forget the warranty. Be sure and follow the maintenance schedule too. The ride is smooth as silk. Good luck. Hope to see you soon!

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: Erathkid] #4052621 02/14/13 02:33 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I picked up this last night. I will add the half windshield and roof later.

Right now I have to look at swapping out trailers and upgrading the 10ft one I have to a 12ft one.

The questions is, dual axle or single axle....moving the dual by hands will be a major pain, but it will carry the load easy. The single will be easy to move, but at 3500lb capacity, it sure is towing a lot.

The difference is about 200 bucks.

R

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: JohnRussell] #4053051 02/14/13 04:53 PM
P
PriddyTxHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I would go with 2 axles. I did the same thing when I bought my Mule, sold my 10ft trailer and bought a 12ft trailer with two axles. Congrats on the new purchase, you'll enjoy it!

8/22/09
Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: PriddyTxHunter] #4055582 02/15/13 02:20 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I will use my 10ft trailer this weekend, but as soon as I get back into town, I am selling it and buying a tandem axle 12ft trailer. This will "get the job done" but I want more than that and 12ft will juuuuuuuuust fit in my garage.

Thanks!

Russ

Re: Looking to get a Polaris/UTV [Re: JohnRussell] #4056656 02/15/13 08:37 PM
T
TimOub007 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
John,

If I were you, I'd go spend $50 and upgrade my straps. Get some 2" wide ones that are rated for a lot more weight than the Ranger. I know it is a long shot, but you'd hate to lose that new ride out of the back of the small trailer on the trip.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide