Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,754
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: longhorn_cop] #3761779 11/16/12 03:04 PM
Y
Yugahunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Honest question here as I have hunted nothing more than land I own or leases and am pretty young. But what exactly does a guide do? Are they paid by the outfitter/ranch in most cases? I would think they are but like I said I have no idea. If that's the case, then I have no idea y a 150$ tip would be insulting or bad. And it sounds like they needa get out of the business if its all about makin money to them because it would be more about the hunt and getting to see the happiness in the hunter to me. Sounds like sorry individuals that are about to lose alot of business.

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Yugahunter] #3761849 11/16/12 03:20 PM
M
Mike Garcia Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
A guide will drive you to and from a stand and put you where animal is going to be most likely. Take care of the after shot like cleaning, qt etc. A good guide will drive you around showing the ranch and what all it has to offer. Willing to work hard with you and make the hunt become one you wont forget. I been to some where I got picked up and dumped and hardly talk to the guide and been on some where we busted out butts to get my animal of my choice in the rain, cold, or summer heat. Did both guides get tips, yes I always plan ahead for tips and taxidermy work when I plan a hunt. Did the one who worked and slaved to make me get what made me happy get a better tip... Very much so. Did the one who just didnt care see me come back or suggest to other hunters, no. A ranch may have amazing animals but if the guides going to belittle you or change what they agree on before the hunt, you just lost a loyal returning hunter and word of mouth spread like wild fires on hunting forums

Taxidermy Designs
Taxidermy By Manuel Garza � Tomball, Texas
www.taxidermydesigns.com

Pro Staff @ http://hipstargets.com/
Custom Bowstands By Michael Garcia
Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Yugahunter] #3761858 11/16/12 03:24 PM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
A deal is a deal, the hunter did nothing wrong according to his story, how fair is it to want more or demand more money from a hunter. What if the hunter wanted to shoot larger or more deer for the same price would that be ok? No it wouldn't.

Sucks for the hunter and family.

Tips can be what people feel right giving, there optional. If the outfitter isn't any good, I would tip little or none, if he is good or great he would get a good tip from me.

If people want to complain about the tip, why not do away with tips and just have a set fee for the deer, and the guide gets a chunk of that. I know guiding is alot if hard work and long hours but look at the bright side.... Your hunting and it beats working anywhere else.

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: DSST_Construction] #3761903 11/16/12 03:36 PM
J
joedav31 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
kinda makes ya wanna run and sign up for a hunt witht hese guys huh?

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: joedav31] #3761935 11/16/12 03:45 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I am amazed how quickly this has turned into a huge snow ball for KSO and rightly so. Goes to show that word of mouth still is a great way to grow or kill a business.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Mike Honcho] #3761964 11/16/12 03:58 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Sounds like a great group to book with! Note to self, stay away from Wyatt and kill shot.

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: longhorn_cop] #3762672 11/16/12 08:23 PM
H
huntnguide83 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
On the bright side with the business soon to go dry maybe they will offer some really cheap hunts to keep the doors open! smile

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: longhorn_cop] #3762730 11/16/12 08:45 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I said that myself and anyone of my guides would e appreciative of ANY tip. I was just making the point that there are outfitters that would find that insult ice and I know quite a few of them. And you are right, some people spend a years worth of saving for a trophy hunt. I get quite a few of them.

Jorge I am glad can read and interpret. cheers

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: BowsnRods] #3762910 11/16/12 10:07 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
I to am amazed at some of the comments! I have been guiding for about 20yrs at several different ranches, I do it because I enjoy it and enjoy watching hunters get excited when taking deer. I have never once asked for a tip or demanded more than what I might have been given. I have been satisfied with a firm handshake from a hunter who saved all year long to come hunt with me. I have a full time job so it would be hard for me to compare myself to someone who guides fulltime. I think sometimes we loose sight of the happiness we bring and only see dollar signs. Just my two cents, I am sorry if I offended anyone

Good Man Here ^^^

The guys like this get the big tips (at least from me), because you can see that as a hunter how much they are enjoying what they do!

This makes the memory worth that much more and, lets face it the reason we hunt is to make a lasting memory...

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Yugahunter] #3762960 11/16/12 10:27 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Yugahunter
Honest question here as I have hunted nothing more than land I own or leases and am pretty young. But what exactly does a guide do?

This is what guides do from a clients point of view:

1. They tell you the story of where you are hunting, the bucks or ducks that were shot there before, how, how big, when and, by who.
2. They listen to your BS
3. They tell you what to except from the ranch and the blind
4. They set the expectation for the hunt
5. They sit around the fire at night and share their stories and if you are smart you listen, because most of them spend way more time outside than any of us
6. They are the expert a teacher of sorts
7. They take care of your animals or at least show you how to do it
8. They are the safety net when you make a good shot but you are unsure

They are there to make sure that you have a good time!!!

If they do these things, then you should take care of them, for some that means some money, for others it may mean leaving a rifle or a bow, for others it is taking them on a hunt and paying for it and, for some it means taking them out to a nice restaurant for a over the top meal. A tip should not be looked at as a monetary measure but a gift of thanks that will last...

Just my opinion...

Last edited by Nathan Nelson; 11/16/12 10:43 PM.
Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Nathan Nelson] #3762978 11/16/12 10:34 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Nathan that's a damn good post!

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Nathan Nelson] #3762995 11/16/12 10:43 PM
G
G ranch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Its not about the tip on our ranch it's about customer satisfaction if the client is happy he/she will take care of you and tell others about your operation don't get me wrong tips are nice but seeing a client leave with a big smile on their face is what is all about in the end cause a happy customer will send you more hunters I get lots of calls cause someone leaves the ranch happy and plan on keeping it that way (CUSTOMER SATISFACTION #1)

Bobby Grieger
Bobby.Grieger@yahoo.com or 254)495-0799
(HWR) Hensel Whitetail Ranch (Ranch Manager)
Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: CDHC10] #3763082 11/16/12 11:43 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: CDHC10
As to every story there are 2 sides to it. I was not there when this all went down but i am part of kill shot outfitters and the things you are putting out here arent entirely accurate. The thing that started it was the $150 dollar tip to the guide for a $6,500 dollar deer that he got discounted to $3,500. Tips are at the hunters discretion but $150 is insulting.

You sir are why a lot of guides get a bad name.

Saying a tip is insulting? I can tell you haven't guided much...at least not with any reputable outfitters.

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Nathan Nelson] #3764465 11/17/12 06:22 PM
M
matt117 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson
Originally Posted By: Yugahunter
Honest question here as I have hunted nothing more than land I own or leases and am pretty young. But what exactly does a guide do?

1. They tell you the story of where you are hunting, the bucks or ducks that were shot there before, how, how big, when and, by who.
5. They sit around the fire at night and share their stories and if you are smart you listen, because most of them spend way more time outside than any of us

If they do these things, then you should take care of them, for some that means some money, for others it may mean leaving a rifle or a bow, for others it is taking them on a hunt and paying for it and, for some it means taking them out to a nice restaurant for a over the top meal. A tip should not be looked at as a monetary measure but a gift of thanks that will last...

Just my opinion...

Sir, your opinion is spot on!

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: gaharris] #3765366 11/18/12 02:24 AM
K
KutscherHunting Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
I'm always scared the customer is gonna short me haha

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: BowsnRods] #3765423 11/18/12 02:41 AM
P
pkpxavier Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
I to am amazed at some of the comments! I have been guiding for about 20yrs at several different ranches, I do it because I enjoy it and enjoy watching hunters get excited when taking deer. I have never once asked for a tip or demanded more than what I might have been given. I have been satisfied with a firm handshake from a hunter who saved all year long to come hunt with me. I have a full time job so it would be hard for me to compare myself to someone who guides fulltime. I think sometimes we loose sight of the happiness we bring and only see dollar signs. Just my two cents, I am sorry if I offended anyone

Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Just my opinion...

Probably 2 of the most sincere folks around! I've never met you Mr. Nelson, however the things I read around here and the things you put together for us in the Armed Forces is simply amazing!

As for John, well I have hunted with you and still bug you on the phone every now and then! You too Sir are an outstanding person and friend!

Adam

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Skip] #3765774 11/18/12 06:19 AM
S
sbvx67 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Skip
Thanks for letting me know about those outfitters. I will never use them.

^^^^^^^^^^ Yup me too.

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: sbvx67] #3766802 11/18/12 07:49 PM
J
joedav31 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
talk about word of mouth and it being a small world... i talked to an aquaintance from the dallas area YESTERDAY who was considering kill shot as an outfitter for a group for 2013... someone directed him to this website and this article and he has since booked with his second choice. small world!!!

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: joedav31] #3767968 11/19/12 02:44 AM
R
Rene Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I hunted last week with panther creek ranch and was extremely happy with the results. The guide made all the difference in making my hunt successful. The wind was blowing at 25-30 miles an hour it was hot and the bucks were not moving. There were plenty of acorns so the deer were not coming to the feeders. The owner and guide came up with me hunting in a double pop up blind down in a bottom. Th guide figured that if the bucks would move anywhere it would be down in the bottom where the wind was not as bad. It was a gamble that I would not have taken on my own. The guide told me that we wouldn't see many deer but if we did it would probably be a shooter. After waiting all afternoon I had my doubts. At five minutes to six a great buck came out and gave us the chance to look him over. The guide told me it would score in the low 150's probably around 153. That's what I wanted so I took him. Made a clean shot and he piled up after 30 yards. The next morning the buck scored 152 and 6/8. I was amazed at the guides quick accurate assessment. Without his knowledge I would have gone home empty handed. I loved hunting with the crew there at panther creek and plan on going back next year.thanks Reggie and Nathan for a great hunt. Guides do make a difference. I gave him a nice tip and a handshake for a job well done. When I hear about lousy outfitters it makes me glad I did my homework and went with a good one.

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Rene] #3772046 11/20/12 05:42 AM
2Redd Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Let me start by saying I doubt I will ever get the chance to hunt outa my state again . I'm just not that deep in the pockets in this economy.

I am grateful for this post so if I should win the lottery I know who not to book with . hehehe . I was down there to hunt hogs a couple years ago 600 miles one way . I had an outstanding time the guy I hunted with (Sqiggy) was top notch .

He was like a few of the above posters seamed like he was happy just showin me a time I will never forget . Unlike the bunch this thread is about I would recomend Squiggy to anyone.

KSO if your readin this I hope you grow to realize that that fella was and is all that important . If I hear anybody mention you up here I will log on here and show this to them . You fouled your nest with that post! A deal is a deal bud your goof should not NOT be the booking parties proublem .Theres 2 sides to every story and after your comment I have to ride with the OP .

A body at rest tends to stay at rest. A body in motion tends to be lookin for a place to rest.
Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: KSO] #3776512 11/21/12 04:54 PM
R
Railhead Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: KSO
Kinda sad if you ask me! Guy doesnt get his way and comes on here and tells his half of a story and everyone just jumps on board!LOL I think KSO will be ok! Cant make everyone happy just how it is. Simple fact of the matter is the deer are bigger than the rancher and outfitter origanaly thought and they decided to let them live another year. You got your money back so quit bn a crybaby about it! You are not that important buddy! You got a great buck for a great price be happy about that!

WOW!! Sounds more like a guy getting screwed than not getting his way.

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Railhead] #3779781 11/22/12 09:44 PM
B
Bowtech1233 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Wow! Thanks for sharing this with everyone. I will make sure to spread the word with all my hunting friends...

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: Bowtech1233] #3780958 11/23/12 12:22 PM
E
eneat1119 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
KSO. Make sure to spread the word around the Midland-Odessa area.

Unbelievable.

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: eneat1119] #3782104 11/23/12 11:18 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I just booked a deerhunt with them, just for the excitement, im bored.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: I Wanted To Share a Bad Experience with an Outfitter [Re: beaversnipe] #3782112 11/23/12 11:20 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Buy a powerball ticket, win 200 million after taxes and cash option, buy a county in texas, build a 12 ft very high voltage high fence surrounded by a bunch of landmines and hunt all u want.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide