S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I would venture to guess that most P&Y bucks (sorry, HF doesn't qualify for some reason???) are killed on tracts of land that are less than 700 acres. Bet the highest percent are killed on tracts less than 200 acres.

And if as a hunter I could care less about P&Y or B&C score how does this effect the acreage size where deer are taken?

I don't quite understand what your question is, but, since most deer hunters are not "rich", they can't afford to hunt large tracts of land (cost per acre). I don't believe pooling with 30 others hunters to rent a 30 times larger tract (when I am 1/30th of the hunters) gives me a better chance to harvest a deer.
Most deer taken up north are taken off of smaller places due to the fact they if you have wooded land it will hold deer. I was told once by a noted wildlife biologist that they midwest has "0" carrying capicity. They can carry way more deer than they can hide. The only limiting factor is wooded land with the food base available under farming. Adding CRP adds bedding cover which means more deer. If Texas had the soils and rainfall to support farmland our hunting landscape would look a lot different.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: I just don't get it. [Re: Pittstate] #3448111 08/06/12 08:51 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Along the same lines as the OP. We had a family that lived on a 5 acre or so place next to one of our fields. They would always shoot deer off our wheat field every year and when we were around, they would say that they shot them on their place and they ran into our field.....so funny. My dad didn't care. He just told them one day that he didn't care and please don't shoot towards his house or barns. They were just 1 and 2 year olds that always hit the fields earlier in the evening. We knew how to hunt the creek and their paths to the field. The older deer seem to wonder to the edge of the woods early, but wait till dark to enter and eat.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: stxranchman] #3448112 08/06/12 08:51 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Lochsley123

Had that happen to me in Young county and it sucks but its life.

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine out north of Bracketville when he bought 250 acres on the northside of subdivision. He thought since his neighbor was 9,000 acres+ he would have some great hunting even though he was in a subdivision. Managment minded and not shooting anything that walked was he wrong. The neighbor was leased for a company lease and they hunted so hard that he had to HF is place just to have deer to see much less hunt. He had to HF out a 10 acre strip between his HF and the 9,000 acres so they would not shoot across the fence. You are right it sucks but it works both ways.

250 acres HF? Your buddy just quit hunting and went to shooting livestock IMO then.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: Pittstate] #3448118 08/06/12 08:52 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Lots of landowners are "pooling" (forming co-operatives with the help of the county biologist), and improving the health of their deer herd, and improving the habitat.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: aoudadhunter] #3448120 08/06/12 08:53 PM
B
buck-snort Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: aoudadhunter
This is actually why we HF, we have no outside genetics at all but we started to see people spliting and buying 10-20 acres on our fence, putting 3 feeders on the lot as shooting deer as soon as the jump the fence. They obviously had no resident deer as you can see every inch of the lot and were just drawing them off our place with various attractants and scents. Although the state owns the deer We are still the ones feeding them and caring for them all year long IE: water, feed, irrigated fields brush control ect, And when you see someone bring in a 160" deer you have been watching since birth and feeding and bragging about it jumping over the fence and getting shot around town it make you a little mad. So we game fenced on all sides that had these small lots and kept it LF around the rest. Then we just HF the other side of the ranch completely for our exotics.

For me the fun of hunting is trying to draw in big deer. I hunt on a lease that is approx. 3500 acres. I have two spots both which border other properties a few hundred yards away. I have watched several deer come from other properties and if a 140+ class deer came my way I would no hestitate to shoot it. I would have no idea if it was a deer you had been watching vs. a deer that was on the move during the rut. LF deer are "free range" so if "your" LF free range deer comes in my pasture it will most likely have a good chance of geeting shot by me or someone else on my lease. That's just the luck of the draw. If you are not willing to take that chance and let your deer be "free range" then you HF.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #3448121 08/06/12 08:53 PM
P
PSE-Xforce-AXE Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine out north of Bracketville when he bought 250 acres on the northside of subdivision. He thought since his neighbor was 9,000 acres+ he would have some great hunting even though he was in a subdivision. Managment minded and not shooting anything that walked was he wrong. The neighbor was leased for a company lease and they hunted so hard that he had to HF is place just to have deer to see much less hunt. He had to HF out a 10 acre strip between his HF and the 9,000 acres so they would not shoot across the fence. You are right it sucks but it works both ways.

250 acres HF? Your buddy just quit hunting and went to shooting livestock IMO then.

Wouln't that be all hf locations?

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: stxranchman] #3448126 08/06/12 08:54 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Just an idea but lets not fence in deer lets hunt them the way our dads and grandpas did. Just a thought.....I'm not impressed with a test tube buck that scores 200" that you paid $10,000 to shoot in a HF ranch. Now shoot him on a low fence ranch with no genetic engineering and then lets talk. Come on with the haters I know ya'll are gonna blast me. popcorn

Are you refering to shooting deer like Grandpa did till they were almost wiped out? popcorn

there are more deer in texas now than ever. and it isn't because of the sustanance hunter.

you want meat buy a cow.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: I just don't get it. [Re: PSE-Xforce-AXE] #3448132 08/06/12 08:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: PSE-Xforce-AXE

Wouln't that be all hf locations?

Yes IMO but I couldn't resist calling out the 250 acres...

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: txtrophy85] #3448135 08/06/12 08:56 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I am going to refer back to the greed and envy post stir

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: I just don't get it. [Re: stxranchman] #3448136 08/06/12 08:56 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I would venture to guess that most P&Y bucks (sorry, HF doesn't qualify for some reason???) are killed on tracts of land that are less than 700 acres. Bet the highest percent are killed on tracts less than 200 acres.

And if as a hunter I could care less about P&Y or B&C score how does this effect the acreage size where deer are taken?

I don't quite understand what your question is, but, since most deer hunters are not "rich", they can't afford to hunt large tracts of land (cost per acre). I don't believe pooling with 30 others hunters to rent a 30 times larger tract (when I am 1/30th of the hunters) gives me a better chance to harvest a deer.
Originally Posted By: txshntr

I would venture to guess that MANY deer that make P&Y don't make it into the record books. But I would agree that MANY deer that make P&Y are taken off smaller acreage up north, because most the places up there are smaller acreages.

Most deer taken up north are taken off of smaller places due to the fact they if you have wooded land it will hold deer. I was told once by a noted wildlife biologist that they midwest has "0" carrying capicity. They can carry way more deer than they can hide. The only limiting factor is wooded land with the food base available under farming. Adding CRP adds bedding cover which means more deer. If Texas had the soils and rainfall to support farmland our hunting landscape would look a lot different.

Stxranchman, this is true for some of the midwest, but not all. Southwest Missouri is full of forest and has less deer density than SE kansas adn much smaller deer because of what they have to eat. I know western kansas is limited in density due to cover in most places. The density along the Arkansas river is UNBELIEVABLE! The human population is way less dense up north in most places, and leads to less hunting pressure (which is slowly changing with people traveling to hunt there). If you find good cover, crops and acorn trees up north, there is pontential to harvest a nice buck. If it looks like deer should be there, they are. Nothing like Denton, Collin, Fannin and Grayson counties in north Texas.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #3448138 08/06/12 08:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Yep I knew that would be your opinion.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: #Hayraker] #3448139 08/06/12 08:57 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Hayraker
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
If I could afford to hf our 400 acres in San Saba Co I would, just to keep my 90 acre neighbor and his day hunters from shooting every deer in the vicinity.

you probably have a neighbor saying the same thing about your little mickey mouse 400 acres.

Doubtful, we don't hunt it due to our neighbors. Ain't worth putting in the time or effort. And yes, my 400 acres is pretty pitiful when it comes to real ranches, but it is mine. What you got hot rod?

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: I just don't get it. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3448141 08/06/12 08:58 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
worst case i have ever seen is when we hunted in walker county.

all low fence, but we had a few 3-5 acre neighbors that boardered a acregae subdivision.

we start leasing and feeding, and low and behold a blind and feeder pop up in the backyard of our neighbor wno owns 3-5 acres. is he "entitled" to any deer? me thinks not. they don't live there, they don't eat there, they are 100% taking a resource.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: Pittstate] #3448143 08/06/12 08:59 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
On a better note, I just heard thunder outside!!!!! come on rain!!!!!!!!

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: LandPirate] #3448144 08/06/12 08:59 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If I could afford to hf our 400 acres in San Saba Co I would, just to keep my 90 acre neighbor and his day hunters from shooting every deer in the vicinity.

you probably have a neighbor saying the same thing about your little mickey mouse 400 acres.

Doubtful, we don't hunt it due to our neighbors. Ain't worth putting in the time or effort. And yes, my 400 acres is pretty pitiful when it comes to real ranches, but it is mine. What you got hot rod?

400 acres is a good spread. I tell you what. I hit the mega millions I'll buy you a high fence and 10 bred does

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: Pittstate] #3448146 08/06/12 09:00 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Good news...but we can't argue about that trout

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: txtrophy85] #3448147 08/06/12 09:00 PM
N
Nightbird Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Just an idea but lets not fence in deer lets hunt them the way our dads and grandpas did. Just a thought.....I'm not impressed with a test tube buck that scores 200" that you paid $10,000 to shoot in a HF ranch. Now shoot him on a low fence ranch with no genetic engineering and then lets talk. Come on with the haters I know ya'll are gonna blast me. popcorn

Are you refering to shooting deer like Grandpa did till they were almost wiped out? popcorn

there are more deer in texas now than ever. and it isn't because of the sustanance hunter.

you want meat buy a cow.

But it is not about whether they want to buy a cow or not.. People have a right to hunt and if they want to eat venison then they have a right to hunt it, shoot it, and eat it.

James

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: I just don't get it. [Re: txshntr] #3448148 08/06/12 09:00 PM
P
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
Here is the thing. Any land in the wrong hands can be abused. Just because I am not rich and can not afford a big track of land to hunt on does not mean that I do not have the right to shoot a big deer if it shows itself on my property.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: txshntr] #3448151 08/06/12 09:01 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

Now that is funny

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: txshntr] #3448156 08/06/12 09:01 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

bs txshtnr you would argue about how hard it was raining.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: Pittstate] #3448157 08/06/12 09:02 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I hate to admit it, but if your sole purpose in Texas is to harvest a big, mature buck......your best bet may be to HF your place.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: txshntr] #3448158 08/06/12 09:02 PM
P
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
I am going to refer back to the greed and envy post stir

My truck is bigger than yours! lol

That is the whole part of hf if you are not farming exotics.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: LandPirate] #3448159 08/06/12 09:03 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

So 90 Acres bordering your 400 acres has made your 400 turn to crap?

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: Pittstate] #3448162 08/06/12 09:03 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I am sure there is remote country in SW texas that is an exception.

Re: I just don't get it. [Re: stxranchman] #3448163 08/06/12 09:03 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

bs txshtnr you would argue about how hard it was raining.

Nope...if it is raining, that is good. Now, you want to talk about how load the thunder was, I am game grin

Page 5 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide