Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
info on "Affordable outfitters" #2371868 06/16/11 02:23 AM
U
utarcher Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
U
I am looking at going to Texas to hunt at a place called "affordable outfitters". they are located near Bryson, and I was hoping to get some insight from someone who knows them or has been there. thanks.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: utarcher] #2371887 06/16/11 02:32 AM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
ive never heard of them, not saying they are not good just havent seen them around here. good luck.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: TAT] #2371911 06/16/11 02:41 AM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
i just checked out there web site. there prices seem good. also showing some awesome deer! welcome to the forum!

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: TAT] #2374370 06/17/11 04:17 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
If you hunt there, make sure and leave a reveiw in the outfitters section of this forum.. good or bad. They seem to be new to the business, but could be a good low cost hunt. Deer density in that area is not very high, but some good bucks come from that region. Make sure and ask for several references that are paying hunters, not friends or relatives. And get a hunter success rate for the past several years.

Good luck!

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: dkershen] #2374374 06/17/11 04:20 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: dkershen
If you hunt there, make sure and leave a reveiw in the outfitters section of this forum.. good or bad. They seem to be new to the business, but could be a good low cost hunt. Deer density in that area is not very high, but some good bucks come from that region. Make sure and ask for several references that are paying hunters, not friends or relatives. And get a hunter success rate for the past several years.

Good luck!

Well said and excellent advice!

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: dkershen] #2375104 06/17/11 11:41 PM
L
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: dkershen

Good luck!

This seems like good advice, but what if it's their first or second year? Everybody has to start somewhere, I guess it's at your own risk in that situation.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: Limit Extender] #2375153 06/18/11 12:09 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I would much rather go with a known high quality outfitter like Lone Star Trail Outfitters. www.lonestartrailoutfitters.com/
Look at this hunt 7Mag is offering there.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2299649/Buck_and_doe_hunt#Post2299649

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: passthru] #2375559 06/18/11 03:55 AM
B
Billy Jack Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I have been on a spring turkey hunt with these guys about 2 years ago. It is the type of hunt were they drop you in a blind and come back and get you in a little bit. They have two cabins. The cabin I was in was OK not the ritz but hey it was hunting. Everything on the phone was true except his yardage from the feeder. (Said it was in shotgun range end up needing my rilfe) I did get a turkey over my weekend hunt and would go back but his turkey hunts are over feeders and I have found that calling in birds is a little more exciting. Send me a PM if I can help.

American by birth Texan by the grace of God
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: utarcher] #2441493 07/20/11 07:13 AM
A
Andi Lopez Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
My husband has booked two hunts with them and is considering making a booking for this fall for a deer hunt. He went with friends on the first hunt and our two boys and I joined him on the second one. He was quite satisfied with the results of the first hunt; each of them killed at least one boar each. The cabin he described from the first hunt sounded rather rustic and minimalist, so I was quite surprised when we stayed in a really nice cabin. It was fully furnished, quite clean, included a full kitchen, satellite tv, and phone service (since our cells would not work out there). I think their regular cabins were full but we were quite happy to be in such "luxury" when we were expecting something else. We did not see any turkeys the first day, but early the next morning, we were not disappointed. We were on a different property that day - I guess they must have several locations for hunting. This is not really a guide service, I am not sure if they offer that or if it is extra, but since my husband is an experienced hunter, that was not a problem. I enjoyed myself and the boys were thrilled to see all the wildlife so close up.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: utarcher] #2757662 11/16/11 02:11 PM
C
CPF Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Just got back from deer hunt with Affordable Outfitters in Bryson, Tx. Paid $1200 for three days. Did"t see a deer. Not one.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: CPF] #2757694 11/16/11 02:19 PM
W
west tx deer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
I Know of two outfitter here in San Angelo area that have given their hunters the option of coming back later in the year for another hunt, our weather has been hot and windy and deer movement has not been great yet. A good outfitter will stand behind their product and atleast show you something worth shooting. I would look for a new place to hunt, good luck

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: west tx deer] #2758034 11/16/11 03:51 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Is this a HF place? If not, the deer hunting in that area is not very good IMO.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: passthru] #2758055 11/16/11 03:59 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: passthru
I would much rather go with a known high quality outfitter like Lone Star Trail Outfitters. www.lonestartrailoutfitters.com/
Look at this hunt 7Mag is offering there.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2299649/Buck_and_doe_hunt#Post2299649

Dang I should be on the lookout for something like that for Audrey next year.

To be determined
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2958596 01/25/12 07:07 AM
K
KVP Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
I hope you did not waste you money on this outfitter. Their stories kept changing and they were not sticking to all their lies. I paid them well and guide was tipped well even though he kept hinting for tips. A group of us went on their so called Hog Hunt because they said they had hundreds of hogs and we could shoot as many as we wanted. They never picked us up in the mornings and would not let us do anything during the day. They said they were too busy to take us anywhere but the 3 of us were the only clients there. They only took us out two times at 3 1/2 hours each. None of us saw any hogs the first night and only one of us saw hogs the second night. One guy got his hog and the guide would not even assist the cleaning by holding a flash light. The guide just hinting he wanted his tip so he could leave and said no pig was worth cleaning. We were going to clean the pig since the guide and owner took our small number of ducks we shot and said they would clean them and get them back to us. They never brought our ducks back. They took our credit card number at the begining and kept hinting and even left notes reminding us to tip them. They did not see us off and owner/guide never checked on us and would not even return our calls. We were willing to clean our ducks so we could have at least something to take home. But he would not return our calls. We were always friendly and easy to adjust to there changes in plans. We wanted to be fair and pay extra for any work or effort they put forth. The owner's son was shooting they ducks before they would even let us walk up on the ponds. I have ran my own guided deer hunts and understand the business and really gave them the benefit of any doubt. We wanted to experience Texas and did not get treated well. I was surprised by very minimal animals. We were there for 4 days and the only hog saw on their properties was pinned up in the outfitter's front yard of his home. I did see 3 small fawn smaller then a dog and they really exaggerated the number of all their ducks, hogs, deer and turkey. I do understand that hunting can't be good all the time, but an outfitter should let you hunt when he had promised. The cabins did have furnished kitchens, hot water, ruining toilet and TV. I think they might have hogs, but I never saw one in the four days we were there. I also did not see any bucks, coyotes or cats. But they did have corn in the feeders for them if they would show up. I do hope "Affordable Outfitters" can make a go of their business and I hope things get better for them. I hope they start treating clients better or they will loose their funding, but maybe they will keep taking money from the trusting hunters that are out there. I can try to justify the hunt but not through all the lies and false promises they provided. Wish you all the best!

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: KVP] #2958995 01/25/12 03:00 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
check out celebrity ranch in Mingus,tx, it is north of stephenvilel about 40 minutes. Awesome place, people, ammenities, and DEER. prices are great too, all inclusive, one price. ask if you have any questions.

http://www.celebrityranch.com/page/page/2315889.htm

Last edited by txhunter1010; 01/25/12 03:01 PM.
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: txhunter1010] #2961244 01/26/12 02:11 AM
J
jt402 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
KVP, tips for what? I always thought a person earned a nice tip. Those folks will not survive if they treat everyone like that. jack

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: CPF] #2972818 01/30/12 06:05 PM
R
Red_Breast Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: CPF
Just got back from deer hunt with Affordable Outfitters in Bryson, Tx. Paid $1200 for three days. Did"t see a deer. Not one.

No way in hell would I pay them after not seeing a deer for three days.

I went on a duck hunt once and the entire group didn't shot once. Everyone else payed but me. Told him I'd never pay for a duck hunt where we never had a chance at ducks.

Edit, this was not with "Affordable Outfitters".

Last edited by Red_Breast; 01/30/12 06:08 PM.

If you keep your hair short and your mouth shut, things tend to run a lot smoother.
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: txhunter1010] #2972840 01/30/12 06:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
check out celebrity ranch in Mingus,tx, it is north of stephenvilel about 40 minutes. Awesome place, people, ammenities, and DEER. prices are great too, all inclusive, one price. ask if you have any questions.

http://www.celebrityranch.com/page/page/2315889.htm

Great ranch!!! 5-1 buck to doe ratio. No shortage of bucks

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3077313 03/09/12 04:25 PM
L
lizzy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
Not a great ranch- Me and my husband just completed a hog- predator hunt with this outfitter. First let me say that we are very avid hunters, we have hunted all over the world including Africa so we are well aware that hunting is hunting. When speaking with the owner James it all seemed on the up and up and that we would have a great hunt. We arrived to the so called Ranch at 12pm and got settled in our so called house instead of the cabin in which James said I would just love, much nicer for the ladies. It was an ok house except that I wouldn't take a shower, mold all over the shower curtain and water had such a bad odor to it if you showered in it there is no way in hell you would have any game come need you, cow [censored] would have smelt better. Perhaps that was the key since cows where everywhere including eating out of the feeders for the game, couldn't use the fridge or freezer so packed with old froozen ducks and whatever else. Well our guide(the nieghbor and a young age of 73) showed up at 4:00 and within 15 minutes wanted the balance of the hunt ot be payed. He said that we would go to our stands at 5:30- he picked us up took us to our seperate stands- he then returned at 10:00pm and returned us to the house. We didn't see any hogs, it was so dark and the feeders where so far away it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Our guide asked us what time we would like to go out in the morning and where we would like to go???? We would know this because????????? So we decided 5:00am we would go back out- off to different stands- no luck again- just seen many many birds - cows and very very small deer(3 IN TOTAL- MY DOG WAS BIGGER). But then I thought I was going to get a shot at the many many predators we where told about around 6am - oh wait it was the family pet dogs. Well to sum up this trip because I could go on and on- What James told us- is now where near the truth- the so called guides listed on his site consists of Terry - 73 year nieghbor - Wyatt is his 15 year old son- James the owner- we never met or seen (going threw a divorce) -The hogs feed during the day - that is the biggest lie- half the feeders worked -(and thats if they have corn for the feeders)) cows and pets roam everywhere- signs on the walls it's an insult not to tip your guide. really bad housing- no game- no predators- telling us one hog was shot here 4 years ago - one here 3 years ago- where would you like to hunt- and so on. There was no guide or animals besides household pets and many birds, Very very disappointing. TOTAL RIP OFF

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: lizzy] #3081604 03/11/12 02:48 PM
L
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Lizzy,
Which Ranch are you referring to? Celeberity or Affordable Oufitters?? A little confused on your post. Thanks.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: utarcher] #3406520 07/24/12 08:34 PM
C
COhuntress Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
DONT WAIST YOUR MONEY!!! I should start off by letting you know that my family has ran a big game outfitting service in Colorado for many generations and we realize that no hunt has a 100% sucess rate. That being said we were very very dissapointed in this outfitter. My husband, mom, dad and I all went on a hog hunt. The man was very pleasant on the phone and answered all questions we had before we showed up..then he ran our cards for the remaining balance on the hunt. Things sure changed after that!!! His help-Norman-was young, pleasant and very knowledgable. They were both hard on vehicles(i think we all ended up with whiplash lol) and the owner was very unprofessional!! We went on 2 evening hunts and 2 morning hunts- we left early and didnt even finish our hunt due to the fact that we were so disappointed. My mom is the only one that saw a hog and it was way too small to shoot. No one else seen any game. Before we planned the trip we received many pictures of large hogs from the owners game cams. On the last morning hunt my husband hadnt seen any game so before Norman came back to get him from the stand he walked around the large feeder(automatically kicks out corn)and there were absolutely no hog prints on the ground and the corn had been there so long it has molded..I would have thought a good guide would have realized that the hogs werent going to that feeder before taking a paying hunter!! We were told by the owner that late September is the best time to hunt hogs-turns out the only reason he wanted us to come at this time was so that we could scout out any big bucks- the first thing he always asked when picking us up from a stand was if we saw any bucks, then he would ask about hogs. Norman told us that they had a group of deer hunters coming the next week. The cabin we were in was clean but smelled horrible-turns out it was the water. None of us took a shower the whole time we were there because of the horrible smelling water. We couldnt even brush our teeth and had to buy bottled water to make coffee. Please remember that I am by no means a prissy girl- I have grown up in Colorado and love the outdoors but I also was under the impression that we would be able to shower. lol When we returned from our last morning hunt there was a note reminding us to tip Norman-which we did VERY well but that was the last straw. We were all tired of the disrespect and BS we had been hearing so we decided to pack up and head home early. The owner didnt even have the balls to come see us off..after he got our money we never seen him again..he did call to make sure we had tiped Norman tho(two days after we left)!! Again DONT WAIST YOUR MONEY!!!!!!! We have been on several hog hunts in Texas after this one and have been much happier!! Again please realize that we know that no hunt can be guaranteed but the owner of this "business"was a very good salesman!! lol

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: COhuntress] #4133729 03/20/13 06:32 PM
J
Jarhead Rick Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Whatever you do, DO NOT book a hunt with this outfitter!!!! We were lied to, treated poorly and the owner did not honor what he agreed to over the phone. Here is a detailed account of our hunt:
We discussed a 2 ½ day hog hunt with James on the phone and he was quite the salesman. He told us that he had just had a cancellation and that we were going to get a great deal. He said that his daughter was getting married, but he had plenty of help to take care of us if we booked. He said there were all kinds of hogs, so many that there was no limit to how many we could shoot. He also said “You guys won’t believe this cabin you are staying in.” My Dad tells James to pick the date that will work best for him, because Dad doesn’t want the hunt to interfere with the wedding. James says that the wedding will not be a problem and that we will be well taken care of. Like fools, we believed him. He said he had guides available to transport us and also to clean and quarter the hogs for us. He also said we would have room in the freezer to store our hogs until we left. So, we booked the hunt and paid the deposit. James was in very frequent phone contact before we arrived at the ranch. That would soon change. We arrived at 4 pm March 15th 2013 at the address listed on the website. We called James and he told us that he couldn’t meet us because he had to go to a wedding rehearsal and that we needed to call Terry, his guide. Terry proceeded to give us directions like we lived there. “Go 3 bridges and then find the gate that looks like it’s locked, but it isn’t”, he says. Needless to say, we couldn’t find the place and had to call Terry back. He proceeds to get short with us and tells us we will need to wait an hour until he gets his chores done. After a second set of directions, we finally find the cabin using blind luck. Well, he was right about one thing. We could not believe the cabin! It had a strong stench of sewage, the kitchen was filthy, and the bathroom had black mold growing on multiple walls. There were multiple notes all over the cabin reminding us to tip the guides, and to also tip Wyatt for all his work laying out “extra” corn on some of the fields. We agree that we can put up with the conditions if we get to shoot some hogs. Terry finally shows up an hour later and tells us that he has to have the rest of the money right now. He left and informed us that the owners 15 year son, Wyatt, would take us to the stands in the morning. Wyatt showed up and took my Dad to his stand. The door into the small ground blind had fallen off and was laying off to the side. The door was only about 3 foot high so my 66 year old Dad had to crawl into the blind. It’s a good thing he’s in pretty good shape! Once in the blind, Dad finds that the chair is broken and is falling apart. He also does not have a shooting lane to the feeding area because there is a big tree in the way. Next, I am taken to a “brush blind” to hunt a field. The problem is, the wind is blowing right towards the hog’s bedding area in the woods. No way was I going to see any hogs. Dad and I see nothing and return to the nasty smelling outhouse (cabin) to spend the afternoon. We give Wyatt a tip for laying out the “extra” corn for us.
Wyatt then tells us that he has to go to the wedding on Saturday night and that there will not be anyone to take us out hunting. We will have to walk to the same stands that we hunted earlier that morning, bad wind and all. We mentioned that they had agreed to clean and quarter the hogs for us, but he said he wouldn’t be back in time and we would have to do it ourselves. We were willing to dress and quarter the hogs, but we opened the freezer and it is full of rank smelling meat. There is no room for our hogs if we do shoot any. We ask him to clean out some room in the freezer, and he says he can’t because he doesn’t have anyone to give the meat to. Dad and I are getting pissed and can’t believe what we are hearing. We ask what he expects us to do, because it is 94 degrees outside and we need to take care of the meat. He says that we need to clean the hogs and then run into town and grab ice to fill the body cavities and leave them overnight. We then inspect the tools that we will be using to clean the hogs. The knives and saws were rusty, and still had meat and bone all over them. They hadn’t even been cleaned off!! Finally, we meet James for the first and only time during our hunt. He arrives, because we are pissed, and finally makes room in the freezer. Dad tells James that we probably should not have booked the hunt because James is busy with the wedding. Dad also reminds James that he was the one who picked the date to book, not us. James says, “It’s not a problem.” I’m sure for him it wasn’t. He had already taken all of our money. After we press him, he sets us up with a different guide, Don, to help us clean the hogs at dark after our hunt. Well, the wind is still wrong so we don’t see a thing. We walk back to the cabin (outhouse) and our “new” guide Don is there and asks if we are going back out to hunt. He tells us that the hogs aren’t moving at all during the daylight and we have to hunt them with flashlights at night. We tell him that we were not aware that we were going to be night hunting, but we might consider doing it. We let Don know that we are not happy and are just considering leaving early and skipping our 2 scheduled hunts on Sunday. Don then contacts James and drops his night idea and changes plans. Don tells us to be ready at 6:30 the next morning and James and Wyatt would come take us to the hunting stands.
Well, we decide to stay for our Sunday hunts and are ready to go by 6:30 am. At 6:30 no one shows up. By 7:00 am still no one has shown up. The sun is starting to come up now so we are running out of time. Finally, Wyatt shows up at 7:15 as it is getting light out. He says his alarm didn’t go off. He doesn’t apologize or anything. James is nowhere to be found. We get into the stands after the sun has already come up and we don’t see a thing. And the blinds are set up in such a way that neither one of us has a clear shot at the feeder area. I’m not terribly picky, but we would have to open the door and lean out the door of the blind to get a clear shot. We ask Wyatt where James is and he informs us that James is out of town spending the day with his girlfriend in Fort Worth. We spend the rest of the afternoon sitting outside because we can’t stand the stench inside the cabin. The dirt outside by the cabin bathroom is wet and flies are swarming all around it. We can only guess that it’s the sewage bubbling up from underground. Wyatt picks us up for the last hunting session on Sunday night, and he had finally set us up in some decent spots with the wind in the right direction. We never saw a thing. Not a single hog during any of our hunting sessions. We never heard any more from James.
The lack of game really wasn’t the worse thing about the hunt. That happens sometimes, and it can be hard to control. It was the lies, the poor treatment, the terrible facilities, and lack of concern about our hunt that really burned us up. I was speechless at how we were treated. Affordable Outfitter is a disgrace to the outfitter business and will be out of business soon if they continue like this. BEWARE!!

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: Jarhead Rick] #4133806 03/20/13 07:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Sounds like "affordable" is a bad outfitter

Just to be clear yall aren't talking about celebrity, yall are talking about "afford able outfitters"

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4133816 03/20/13 07:33 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Amazing how many first time posters contribute to this thread.

[Linked Image]
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4133825 03/20/13 07:39 PM
J
Jarhead Rick Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Sounds like "affordable" is a bad outfitter

Just to be clear yall aren't talking about celebrity, yall are talking about "afford able outfitters"

That would be correct, sir. Affordable Outfitter near Bryson, TX

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide