Print Thread
Hogs? #2913754 01/09/12 08:48 PM
S
Str8 Fishin Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
I have been setting up 3 days in a row on an abvious hog trail and set all day and into the nite (bout 7ish) and have seen nothing. Any body know what time these guys are moving right now? I don't have any cams out to scout them just curious if there running at a cetian time frame.

Thanx!

Re: Hogs? [Re: Str8 Fishin] #2913950 01/09/12 09:31 PM
R
RocksAndKittens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
they could be running around after midnight. The best bet to find when it is in use is a camera. Otherwise be prepared to stay up until the sun.

If it looks good, eat it.

Rocks are cool, also kittens.
Re: Hogs? [Re: RocksAndKittens] #2914871 01/10/12 12:58 AM
Z
ZenArchery Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Z
my experience around the full moon is they are very sketchy meaning they stay in thick cover. during the darkest nights they seem to feel more comfortable coming out.

Re: Hogs? [Re: ZenArchery] #2918221 01/10/12 11:36 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
There is no ryhme or reason to when you may see them. What cameras show one night has no standing for the next night. They roam, they show up when they decide to stop by. Be careful of scent and noise....they are smart, cunning creatures and learn your tricks.

Re: Hogs? [Re: ZenArchery] #2918299 01/10/12 11:59 PM
P
pafree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: ZenArchery
my experience around the full moon is they are very sketchy meaning they stay in thick cover. during the darkest nights they seem to feel more comfortable coming out.

x2 on the full moon times.

Re: Hogs? [Re: pafree] #2920186 01/11/12 04:38 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I've only killed about 12 hogs so far but did pattern the kills with moon phases. A quarter of them were when the moon was 80% or better. About the same for 20% or less. I hunted last night and didn't see any hogs, but they were caught on camera the previous night.

dfwroadkill's observation matches mine on their movements. They may come like clockwork for a few visits and then come at a different time or stop coming for days. If I think hogs are coming at a given time, I like to arrive at least 2-3 hours prior to that so that I am in place when they arrive later...only sometimes the are there before I even get into the stand...which makes for a short night.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hogs? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #2920211 01/11/12 04:46 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I've only killed about 12 hogs so far but did pattern the kills with moon phases. A quarter of them were when the moon was 80% or better. About the same for 20% or less. I hunted last night and didn't see any hogs, but they were caught on camera the previous night.

dfwroadkill's observation matches mine on their movements. They may come like clockwork for a few visits and then come at a different time or stop coming for days. If I think hogs are coming at a given time, I like to arrive at least 2-3 hours prior to that so that I am in place when they arrive later...only sometimes the are there before I even get into the stand...which makes for a short night.

The camera will help you time but if your just hunting a trail its hard to pattern them right....start digin a hole and fillin it with corn cover up alot of it so they got keep workin for it and also covering it with powderd jello will help too...a path is a hard deal but when they are coming to feed they WILL start a pattern and you will be able to have them pinned to the hour..also you will most likely get more than one group start hittin the feed and they wont come at the same time..this will giv you multiple feeding times to choose from...set a camera over it and wait untill they start hittin it good and your set!

Re: Hogs? [Re: Navasot] #2920458 01/11/12 06:16 PM
coreybasshunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
By far baiting the trail will be your best bet check it as often as you can if you are sitting in timber and not out in the open it doesn't matter if the wind is in your face or not you need to be scent blocked

Keep em huntin and they wont have time to get in trouble!! And remember RESPECT goes a long way!!
Re: Hogs? [Re: coreybasshunter] #2920538 01/11/12 06:45 PM
R
Ringer1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Wild hogs are nomadic. From my experience with my cameras, they might frequent an area for awhile and you might be overloaded. When you come back the next week and only you see a few from all different hours. I have noticed I get most of my action between 9pm-4am. But we are seeing less hogs every year with all the peolple around us that trap all year round. I think that has an effect on them too.

Re: Hogs? [Re: Ringer1] #2921036 01/11/12 09:53 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
The camera will help you time but if your just hunting a trail its hard to pattern them right....start digin a hole and fillin it with corn cover up alot of it so they got keep workin for it and also covering it with powderd jello will help too...a path is a hard deal but when they are coming to feed they WILL start a pattern and you will be able to have them pinned to the hour..also you will most likely get more than one group start hittin the feed and they wont come at the same time..this will giv you multiple feeding times to choose from...set a camera over it and wait untill they start hittin it good and your set!

I have 46 acres in SE Montague County. It is rural with nobody living on the property and no livestock on the property. So human traffic is infrequent. I have 3 feeders, a food plot of just over an acre, and 7-9 (depending on batteries) game cameras watching the feeders, water hole, trails entering the property, and a couple I just set up in random locations just to see what they will catch. I have filled holes with beer soured corn and jello corn. I have used corn, sweetfeed, and a mixture in my feeders. I have used various miracle hog attractant products and other folks' "secret formulas" for attracting hogs. Two of the feeders go off 2 times a day and a third goes off 3 times. My property is approximately 60-65% treed. I have multiple stands where I can just about always set up down wind from wherever I would like to hunt. Distances between the stands/blinds and feeders ranges from 25-75 yards and most are elevated. This year I watched 4 sets of fawns grow up via the cameras, 1 family of skunks, 2 or 3 families of raccoons, a couple of armadillos, saw a bunch a bobcats, several foxes, and a couple coyotes. I have had deer bed down beneath the stand I was in and watched a young buck try to couple with an older doe who did not appreciate his advances. I have had a variety of sounders come through in the last couple of years and lots of lone boars, boar pairs, and a bachelor sounder. The current sounder visiting my place consists of about 20 individuals and has 4 distinctive individuals that were not in any previous sounders this year. They have visited 7 times since the day after Thanksgiving, twice in one week being the most frequent revisit. The only patterning this group is showing is coming after dark and not using my water hole. Most of the time they have come between 6:30 and 9:00 PM which is great, but come around 3:00 am as well. This group isn't particularly unusual except that usually when I do have sounders returning, they often come a couple of times a week or more. I have had others blast through just once.

I have a neighbor that guides hunts out by Aspermont. I have let him hunt my place and he just shakes his head and says the hogs aren't what he usually sees in west Texas. I know two other landowners in the area that hunt hogs on their properties, also have game cameras, and report similar patterns.

Last year, I tried charting hog movments relative to the time of activity, weather (including rain, temp, and winds), moon phase and when I was on property. Nada. We had a night shoot at my place in the ravine and 200 yards away hogs were at one of my feeders. I had thought wind was looking like a decent predictor (higher winds = bad hog hunting) but then shot 3 hogs during windy conditions. Moon phases showed that hogs would come during just about any phase of the moon.

I had a sounder last year that moved across my property from west to east, eating at the west feeder, hitting the water hole, eating at the east feeder and then often stopping by the west feeder again to eat on the way out (sometimes). The group liked to stay in motion and didn't stay at a feeder until all the food was gone, but would leave within 5-10 minutes of arriving. This differed from most sounders that seem to only visit a feeder once a night.

I really want to believe you that I should be able to pattern my hogs and thus be able to smartly anticipate their visits, but I have a pretty good grasp on what is moving on my property and when it has moved, but the hogs do not fall into what I would consider to be a predictable pattern.

Re: Hogs? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #2921201 01/11/12 10:39 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
100% agree. I'm on 1750 acres in Palo Pinto county surrounded by the same or larger ranches and have worked it hard. I've done all of the same things. There is no patterning them. As someone above stated, they are nomadic. They roam. They don't stay in the same place long.

Sometimes it seems you'll get a general flow of them coming in from just after sundown to 9:30-10:00, then again between 2:00 and 4:00am, but just as you think that is some sort of pattern you don't see them for a week....and this is with heavy baiting.

If you shoot into them a time or two they tend to move off that spot for awhile. I've gotten to recognize several of our sounders. When we have shot into them and they have moved, I have spotted them a mile or so away 3-4 days later. They get around.

I wish there was a way to pattern them, but recognize they are pretty good at the game. They learn fast and you just have to keep changing your tactics and work at it. If you're not out there often, it's just happenstance that they show up when you're at the stand for the first time in two months.

BTW, I have not seen a hog in daylight at our place since last summer.

Re: Hogs? [Re: dfwroadkill] #2921230 01/11/12 10:48 PM
S
Str8 Fishin Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Well I really appreciate the excellent advice. I am hunting a very small farm w/ good sign of hogs but will keep trying them till I get on them. Thanx again and keep the good info coming.

Re: Hogs? [Re: Str8 Fishin] #2921599 01/12/12 12:33 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Do keep trying. Tenacity will win out. I am embarrassed to say this, but it takes me 10-12 trips to get a hog. Strantely, that number range seems to work whether I am seeing hogs on the cameras regularly or not.

For a while my MIL came to visit quite regularly and stay with us and I would use the opportunity to go hunting despite the fact that hogs were not showing up on the camera and have shot hogs twice as a result. The bottom line is that you can't shoot any hogs if you aren't there to hunt them. Sometimes going and watching the deer, coons, and other critters is something of its own reward.

Watch deer and coons or watch the MIL? You decide!

Re: Hogs? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #2922037 01/12/12 02:34 AM
B
big-tex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
there is no telling when they will show up

When quality counts!!!!!
http://texascamo.tk
Re: Hogs? [Re: big-tex] #2923047 01/12/12 02:29 PM
S
sillyhorses Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Great info guys, this answers alot of questions for myself as well. Seems they just show up when they are in the neighborhood. I guess we need to get a road map from them as for a pigs traveling routes & times. Would be interesting to put a radio tracking device on a big traveling boar.

Dryberry was the last lake God created and it took the entire seventh day.
Dryberry Lake Sioux Narrows, Ontario, Canada (a.k.a. Heaven)
Re: Hogs? [Re: sillyhorses] #2923194 01/12/12 03:09 PM
T
The Boar Buster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Hogs are like women, there is no rhyme or reason with what they do.
They are dangerous and unpredictable.

Re: Hogs? [Re: The Boar Buster] #2923215 01/12/12 03:15 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
^^^^ Funny ^^^^^

Re: Hogs? [Re: The Boar Buster] #2923231 01/12/12 03:19 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: The Boar Buster
Hogs are like women, there is no rhyme or reason with what they do.
They are dangerous and unpredictable.

clap

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Hogs? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #2923606 01/12/12 04:57 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

I have 46 acres in SE Montague County. It is rural with nobody living on the property and no livestock on the property. So human traffic is infrequent. I have 3 feeders, a food plot of just over an acre, and 7-9 (depending on batteries) game cameras watching the feeders, water hole, trails entering the property, and a couple I just set up in random locations just to see what they will catch. I have filled holes with beer soured corn and jello corn. I have used corn, sweetfeed, and a mixture in my feeders. I have used various miracle hog attractant products and other folks' "secret formulas" for attracting hogs. Two of the feeders go off 2 times a day and a third goes off 3 times. My property is approximately 60-65% treed. I have multiple stands where I can just about always set up down wind from wherever I would like to hunt. Distances between the stands/blinds and feeders ranges from 25-75 yards and most are elevated. This year I watched 4 sets of fawns grow up via the cameras, 1 family of skunks, 2 or 3 families of raccoons, a couple of armadillos, saw a bunch a bobcats, several foxes, and a couple coyotes. I have had deer bed down beneath the stand I was in and watched a young buck try to couple with an older doe who did not appreciate his advances. I have had a variety of sounders come through in the last couple of years and lots of lone boars, boar pairs, and a bachelor sounder. The current sounder visiting my place consists of about 20 individuals and has 4 distinctive individuals that were not in any previous sounders this year. They have visited 7 times since the day after Thanksgiving, twice in one week being the most frequent revisit. The only patterning this group is showing is coming after dark and not using my water hole. Most of the time they have come between 6:30 and 9:00 PM which is great, but come around 3:00 am as well. This group isn't particularly unusual except that usually when I do have sounders returning, they often come a couple of times a week or more. I have had others blast through just once.

I have a neighbor that guides hunts out by Aspermont. I have let him hunt my place and he just shakes his head and says the hogs aren't what he usually sees in west Texas. I know two other landowners in the area that hunt hogs on their properties, also have game cameras, and report similar patterns.

Last year, I tried charting hog movments relative to the time of activity, weather (including rain, temp, and winds), moon phase and when I was on property. Nada. We had a night shoot at my place in the ravine and 200 yards away hogs were at one of my feeders. I had thought wind was looking like a decent predictor (higher winds = bad hog hunting) but then shot 3 hogs during windy conditions. Moon phases showed that hogs would come during just about any phase of the moon.

I had a sounder last year that moved across my property from west to east, eating at the west feeder, hitting the water hole, eating at the east feeder and then often stopping by the west feeder again to eat on the way out (sometimes). The group liked to stay in motion and didn't stay at a feeder until all the food was gone, but would leave within 5-10 minutes of arriving. This differed from most sounders that seem to only visit a feeder once a night.

I really want to believe you that I should be able to pattern my hogs and thus be able to smartly anticipate their visits, but I have a pretty good grasp on what is moving on my property and when it has moved, but the hogs do not fall into what I would consider to be a predictable pattern.

This might be the differnce then...im in east texas so our hogs do move but mostly its with the rain...when it starts to dry up they mostly head down the creeks to the river untill it rains again...but when we have standing water and the pastures are moist they move in and stay there...i guess its that they dont have to travel for food to water to bedding since they are all so close together... what are yalls water holes like there? are they rocky ponds or is there good mud for them to wallow in? our clean stock ponds hardly get at all they like holes that will have the nasty slop mud for them to cover theirselfs in.. different area different habbits i guess

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide