Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
"Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? #2921287 01/11/12 10:59 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I got called out for voicing an opinion on this in the lands and leases section so I figured I would post this in my own thread.

How many of you feel that it is "unfair" for bowhunters to be allowed to hunt in October? I have a hard time wrapping my head around some of the opinions I have heard about this. Everybody in the state can bowhunt in October if they want to. Even people with upper body disabilities can do so now with a crossbow if they want. So how is it at all "unfair" to the rifle hunters that CHOOSE not to bow hunt? I would like to hear opinions on both sides of this question so if you have an opinion, let's hear it!

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921311 01/11/12 11:03 PM
T
thedoveshooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I don't think its unfair at all. Like you said, nothing is keeping the rifle hunters from getting a bow and hunting during bow season.

If they don't like it, tough; go to another state. But not many have a rifle season before bow season.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921312 01/11/12 11:03 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I dont really bowhunt but I dont see it as "unfair" to rifle hunters either.

Most places I see that dont allow bowhunting claim its because of the percentage of wounded and lost animals. Thats a whole different subject though.

As far as your comment on cross bows......I dont think you have to be disabled anymore to use one. I think its legal for everyone to use one now.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921314 01/11/12 11:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921319 01/11/12 11:05 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
Even people with upper body disabilities can do so now with a crossbow if they want.

Where have you been, you don't have to be disabled to shoot a cross bow in october for the last couple of year.

All I will say, start bow hunting!

Last edited by dgilbert; 01/11/12 11:07 PM.
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: JCB] #2921320 01/11/12 11:05 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: JCB
I dont really bowhunt but I dont see it as "unfair" to rifle hunters either.

Most places I see that dont allow bowhunting claim its because of the percentage of wounded and lost animals. Thats a whole different subject though.

As far as your comment on cross bows......I dont think you have to be disabled anymore to use one. I think its legal for everyone to use one now.

I can understand someone not allowing bowhunting for other reasons but it's the "unfair" part that gets under my skin.

And you are correct, you don't have to have a disability to use a crossbow I was just stating that you don't even have to have a doctors note any more to use one if you have a disability.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: dgilbert] #2921324 01/11/12 11:06 PM
T
TXFishin08 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Not unfair. Buy a bow.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: TXFishin08] #2921341 01/11/12 11:10 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Look at the issue from the flip side. Why should bow hunters be allowed to hunt before the start of the general season?

The only answer that makes sense has nothing to do with the sport itself, but to create a market for bows and bow hunting equipment.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Texas Dan] #2921352 01/11/12 11:12 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Look at the issue from the flip side. Why should bow hunters be allowed to hunt before the start of the general season?

The only answer that makes sense has nothing to do with the sport itself, but to create a market for bows and bow hunting equipment.

I actually have looked at it from the flip side. I was not always a bowhunter. Spent many years only rifle hunting until I realized that I could add an entire month to my season by simply purchasing a bow. So, I did. Now I bowhunt even in rifle season lots of times just because of how much I enjoyed it once I started.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Texas Dan] #2921401 01/11/12 11:25 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

Thats not the "only" answer. Another answer that makes sense is to introduce more hunters to the sport. How many hunters do you think would pick up a bow if they couldn't start hunting earlier than the general season?

What about the counties that are bow only?

What about states that don't allow anything but bow hunting during the rut?

Bow hunting is much more difficult than rifle hunting. Distance is greatly diminished, wind is more important, noise is more important, concealment is more important, and the list goes on. The chances of a successful harvest are greatly diminished. So by providing bow hunters with an "extended" season, you are increasing their chances of a harvest.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921419 01/11/12 11:29 PM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I enjoy having a month to hunt before my bambi killing neighbors start blasting away at everything with 8 or more points. That is why I bought a bow. That said, I haven't killed a deer before December in several years.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: txshntr] #2921432 01/11/12 11:33 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Also, I think it is selfish to cry that something is "unfair" just because it is something that you do not do.

If everyone has the oppurtunity to do something, everyone has the ability to do something, and you CHOOSE not too...how is that unfair?

Looking at it from another direction: I don't hunt with a muzzle loader. If the muzzleloader season lasted until say January 20th, I sure wouldn't say it was unfair that everyone else on the lease that uses one gets to hunt longer...I would go get one

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: txshntr] #2921507 01/12/12 12:00 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I did away with ML season several years ago....and restrict bow usage before the first sat in Nov. Just trying to keep it fair and pressure off the deer.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: txshntr] #2921536 01/12/12 12:09 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Also, I think it is selfish to cry that something is "unfair" just because it is something that you do not do.

If everyone has the oppurtunity to do something, everyone has the ability to do something, and you CHOOSE not too...how is that unfair?

Looking at it from another direction: I don't hunt with a muzzle loader. If the muzzleloader season lasted until say January 20th, I sure wouldn't say it was unfair that everyone else on the lease that uses one gets to hunt longer...I would go get one

up
Those are pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: txshntr] #2921539 01/12/12 12:10 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Distance is greatly diminished,

Speak for yourself. I want to get me one of them crossbows and then develop a ballastic arc table. Ought to be good for a hunard yards.

To be determined
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: rifleman] #2921542 01/12/12 12:11 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: rifleman
I did away with ML season several years ago....and restrict bow usage before the first sat in Nov. Just trying to keep it fair and pressure off the deer.

I have to be honest here... I did not think you would be one of the ones to chime in with the unfair argument. confused2

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: txshntr] #2921544 01/12/12 12:11 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

But, if they only limited archery season to October and cut it off at the end of October, would you still feel the same way about the season? I have been an archery hunter since the mid 70's.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: rifleman] #2921545 01/12/12 12:11 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: rifleman

For the State of Texas or just your lease?

cowboy

To be determined
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #2921546 01/12/12 12:12 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Distance is greatly diminished,

Speak for yourself. I want to get me one of them crossbows and then develop a ballastic arc table. Ought to be good for a hunard yards.

There are x-bows out there now that group well out to 100 yards and more.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: txshntr] #2921550 01/12/12 12:13 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Thats not the "only" answer. Another answer that makes sense is to introduce more hunters to the sport. How many hunters do you think would pick up a bow if they couldn't start hunting earlier than the general season?

Your comments just add more fodder to my position. If someone wanted to learn how to bow hunt, they need not have an earlier season to do it. The opportunity to get a "head start" before everyone else just provides greater incentive to go out and spend money on a bow and equipment.

Perhaps the TPWD should create an early season for primitive firearms. But I seem to remember they already suggested it and bow hunters quickly threw a fit.

Or better yet, let's increase the market for muzzleloaders and switch the dates for bow and primitive firearms seasons.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921553 01/12/12 12:14 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
You young'uns grin need a month head start on us real hunters. rofl rofl

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: Texas Dan] #2921557 01/12/12 12:17 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B

Your comments just add more fodder to my position. If someone wanted to learn how to bow hunt, they need not have an earlier season to do it. The opportunity to get a "head start" before everyone else just provides greater incentive to go out and spend money on a bow and equipment.

Perhaps the TPWD should create an early season for primitive firarms. But I seem to remember they already suggested it and bow hunters threw a fit about it.

What is fodder? confused2

You don't think that allowing bowhunting in October gets more people into bowhunting than if it were in the general season only? As I stated before, the only reason I bought my first bow was to extend my season and I have grown to love it. Which, in turn, lead me to get my son into it at a very early age.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: BowSlayer] #2921569 01/12/12 12:21 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer

Perhaps the TPWD should create an early season for primitive firarms. But I seem to remember they already suggested it and bow hunters threw a fit about it.

You don't think that allowing bowhunting in October gets more people into bowhunting than if it were in the general season only? As I stated before, the only reason I bought my first bow was to extend my season and I have grown to love it. Which, in turn, lead me to get my son into it at a very early age.

But, if they extended the season with some other weapon moving archery into general season would you hunt early or wait till the general season to hunt archery?

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: txshntr] #2921570 01/12/12 12:21 AM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I'm thinking of getting a crossbow just so I might be able to hunt with it one day.

Re: "Unfair" to allow bowhunting in October? [Re: stxranchman] #2921571 01/12/12 12:23 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer

But, if they extended the season with some other weapon moving archery into general season would you hunt early or wait till the general season to hunt archery?

Are you saying that if October was for say ML only and you could not bow hunt until November would I buy a ML? If that's what you're saying then yes, I would buy a ML.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide