Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Does Anyone ELSE Have to Put Up with This???!!! #2907852 01/07/12 07:10 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Well, my morning could have been a sitcom episode. I decided to shoot that fox that keeps eating my chickens. The truck is sitting there loaded up with hay, so I get up early, and after letting all the dogs & pups out, don some KW-1 camo, grab my 12 gauge and my .38 spl and climb in the bed, hiding in the hay.

Well, I always feed the chickens in the morning so when they see me, they usually chase me down. Next thing you know, there are chickens landing in the hay all around me. Then the goats come down from the barn, see the chickens and start climbing on the side of the truck, trying to see what the commotion is all about. I try to shoo off the goats cuz they're scratching up the fenders with their hooves and one of the Anatolians sees the bed of the truck 'acting funny', so he starts barking. That makes all the other Anatolians start barking, which sets off the Labs. Disgusted, I climb down, throw some hay out for the goats to lure them away, the sheep and horses catch wind of this, so they all start making noise. Grrrrrr!!!!

So I throw food at all of them, then climb back in the truck bed only to have the goats show up about 20 minutes later. By now, the chickens have set themselves up as perfect bait, pecking at the ground right in front of the thicket that runs the length of the property, and I'm in the bed, down in the hay, gun pointed, waiting for the fox to appear. So, the goats line up in front of me, also looking at the thicket, like "Whazzup, Boss? What are we looking at?" Go AWAY!!!!! But they won't.

No way I can shoot the fox without taking out a dairy goat or two, so I decide to set a chicken in a cage on an angle where I can safely shoot, then throw feed off to the side for the goats. Snatch a hen off her nest, get pecked and scratched the whole way, holding the angry hen and dragging a wire dog crate, then set her up and boy howdy, she is making a racket! This gets the dogs all riled up so they all start barking again.

I figure I'll climb in the truck bed and just let everything settle when I hear the back door slam... It's my son. He heard all the barking, figured it was time to feed the dogs and now we're gonna go thru at least 20 minutes of barking while he feeds. So, I ask him to also throw more bait up near the barn to lure the goats over there so I can have a clear shot. He does this after feeding all the dogs and it works. GOOD!

FINALLY able to settle in and wait for that fox. Just then, I catch movement off to my right... YES! Here he comes... I peek over the hay and..... What?! One of the Anatolians is loose and sniffing around. OK, the fox is NEVER gonna show up with HIM on the loose! I guess all the commotion got him too concerned and he decided to climb over his fence to check things out. So, I call my son out to put the Anatolian up, climb BACK in the truck bed and wait for everything to get quiet again. Everything, that is, except for the angry hen. She does a great job or creating a stir and the other chickens are pecking all around and sitting on top of ther crate. Good! NOW that fox will come!

So, I settle in yet again and just as everything seems to look like same ol', same ol'.... it starts pouring down rain and the chickens take off looking for cover. *sigh* By then, it was after 10:00 am. Maybe another morning...

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Does Anyone ELSE Have to Put Up with This???!!! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2907887 01/07/12 07:32 PM
C
comet Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
sounds like a good old fashioned case of "Murphy's law"

www.CrumplerKennels.com offering Top Quality Labrador puppies at an affordable price.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crumpler-Kennels/365969876809627
Re: Does Anyone ELSE Have to Put Up with This???!!! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2907900 01/07/12 07:37 PM
H
Hill Country Hunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Your writings are great. I cannot finish lunch because you have me laughing roflmao There will be another morning for the fox. rifle

Psalm 3:3 - But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
Re: Does Anyone ELSE Have to Put Up with This???!!! [Re: Hill Country Hunter] #2907950 01/07/12 08:06 PM
S
ss401 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
That is hilarious....bet that fox was laughing too!

Re: Does Anyone ELSE Have to Put Up with This???!!! [Re: ss401] #2909288 01/08/12 10:25 AM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I think I saw a cartoon like that once!

Re: Does Anyone ELSE Have to Put Up with This???!!! [Re: DoubleB20] #2909291 01/08/12 10:31 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
What are you doin' up, Brian???? Goin' hunting? I'm going after that darn fox again. Gonna try locking up the goats first, though! lol

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Does Anyone ELSE Have to Put Up with This???!!! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2909304 01/08/12 11:14 AM
S
Spent Brass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
roflmao

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide