Print Thread
Caddo Lake #2892844 01/03/12 03:18 AM
L
Liftedpowerstroke Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Anyone Hunt Caddo Lake this year? We are headed up there this weekend for a single day hunt.
We are going with a guide this time.
I've heard there are many duck blinds on this lake. Are these blinds individualy owned? or is this a public/first come first served type thing?
I know there is Caddo Lake WMA area, is there another public area (corp of engineers, ect)? If so, what is the name of the other area.
THanks,
Derrick

Derrick
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Liftedpowerstroke] #2892998 01/03/12 03:51 AM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Derrick

You never want to name a lake here on the THF bc of internet scouters..

Your best bet is to call the local gamewarden for hunting laws/details.

Hopefully y'all have a good hunt!

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Cody Malone] #2893007 01/03/12 03:53 AM
B
birddog14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
it is awesome...we are shooting limits of mallards and pintails...and EVERY bird is banded

green is good
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: birddog14] #2893065 01/03/12 04:07 AM
L
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
What is so bad about asking about a specific lake? I'm going regardless. Just curious if anyone has anything goods or bad on this lake lately...

Derrick
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Liftedpowerstroke] #2893220 01/03/12 04:41 AM
R
RMattD Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Derrick,
I'm interested in Caddo lake as well. Sounds like it would be an interesting spot. Let me know how it turns out.
Good Luck!

RMattD
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: RMattD] #2893300 01/03/12 05:12 AM
G
glasshole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
popcorn

Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Liftedpowerstroke] #2893333 01/03/12 05:21 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Liftedpowerstroke
We are going with a guide this time.

Billy Carter I presume? He owns several if not most of the blinds. Pick his brain, he will give you the history on it and current hunting situation. There are several grandfathered privately owned blinds outside the WMA. None allowed in the WMA. I spent some time there fishing and scouting but due to the low water this year decided not to make that hunting trip this season. This is not the sort of lake an outsider can easily just show up and hunt on their own. Locals rule.

Beautiful place. Even a bad hunt would be enjoyable for me there. But we decided it best to go back later in the year for more fishing and kayaking rather than hunt. I hope the water levels have improved, because the situation was really sad looking out there this summer. Good luck, hope you do well.

Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Sniper John] #2894491 01/03/12 05:57 PM
K
Kenny Powers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Derrick I could care a less that you name a lake.I know a guide on caddo.He dousnt shoot many greenheads but lots of teal and gadwalls.And some others but I cant recall.PM me and ill tell you his name and number.Me and him hunted a lake just south of Dallas and East of 35,and just South of 287 and the birds wernt flying well .It was on new years day.Ended up with two stinkin ducks....should have had at least 6,but you know how that goes.

Guns dont kill people.....bullets do.
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Kenny Powers] #2894599 01/03/12 06:33 PM
G
GigEmAggies Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I'm 100% against asking for certain spots on certain lakes and asking for reports on certain lakes just like you guys BUT no where in his post did he ask for any tips or advice on where to hunt.

He's just asking for a better understanding on the rules at Caddo. This type of post should be welcome here....he can't pm everyone and ask if they know the rules on Caddo.

With that said I have never hunted Caddo, fished out there many times but never hunted, so dono the rules....pretty sure you have to have the Ann Public Hunt but not 100%

Last edited by GigEmAggies; 01/03/12 06:35 PM.

They're not looking for one thing right....they're looking for one thing wrong.

Re: Caddo Lake [Re: GigEmAggies] #2894645 01/03/12 06:49 PM
J
jigman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
call the local game warden and ask him all the rules,dont bother asking these guys on here they will not help you.on lakes like this just pay for a couple guided trips and you can find some good areas to hunt.

Re: Caddo Lake [Re: GigEmAggies] #2894717 01/03/12 07:13 PM
L
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Thank you GigEmAggies.... Glad someone see it...
I wont ask for for a hunting location, cause I know the work it takes to scout. LIke you said... I'm just asking for advice for this lake... This isn't stopping me from going. This time i'm with a guide. next time I may go on my own but probably not since i dont know this lake and i live 200 miles away.
What made me ask these questions was they say the guides "OWNS" the blinds, but how can you "OWN" a blind on a WMA or public land, and I thought you couldn't have a permanate blind on these areas...
I'm just curious.... by all means PLEASE dont give me your directions to your blind.
THanks,
D

Derrick
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Liftedpowerstroke] #2894883 01/03/12 08:06 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
It is a unique situation on the blinds. Permanent blinds that existed before a date in 1992 that were in the non WMA part of the lake were grandfathered under a provision related to cultural heritage. They are blinds that had been owned by family's for generations and are still owned by those familys. You will find almost all water outside of the WMA covered by one of these blinds. Caddo lake is a wetland of international importance by the ramsar convention and has some odd protections because of it. Google that for more.

The WMA portion was also created in 1992. No permanent blinds can be built in the WMA and ones that existed prior to 1992 can't be repaired. I found most blinds or blind sites located in the WMA had been burned or fallen apart long ago. The locals do also have boundary disputes related to the WMA and hunting. The picture of a fallen down blind I posted above is in the WMA and directly across from a privately owned blind outside the WMA that would be behind me from where I took the picture. There was very little in the WMA that still had water back in August.

A privately owned blind at Caddo.

Example of what you will find in the WMA. This is across a bayou from the first picture. Note the lack of water.

Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Sniper John] #2894970 01/03/12 08:29 PM
L
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Cool deal Thanks

Derrick
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Liftedpowerstroke] #2895558 01/03/12 11:37 PM
R
RMattD Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Derrick thanks for asking about this spot. Thanks to everyone that responded. I'm new to Texas and information like this is very helpful and encouraging.

RMattD
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: RMattD] #2895648 01/04/12 12:05 AM
D
drakecutter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I have hunted and do hunt Caddo. Both sides of the state line. To say locals rule is an understatement. If your going with a guide you will enjoy the hunt. Great scenery and if you have water, you should pull in the gadwalls. If your around you need to hit up Pine Island and treat yourself to a plate of the best fried catfish you have ever had. However, if your headed out there on your own. Any place that looks to good to be true is probably gonna come with its share of hassles. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

"Always Chasing That Next Group"
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: drakecutter] #2895812 01/04/12 12:48 AM
L
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted By: drakecutter
I have hunted and do hunt Caddo. Both sides of the state line. To say locals rule is an understatement. If your going with a guide you will enjoy the hunt. Great scenery and if you have water, you should pull in the gadwalls. If your around you need to hit up Pine Island and treat yourself to a plate of the best fried catfish you have ever had. However, if your headed out there on your own. Any place that looks to good to be true is probably gonna come with its share of hassles. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Now this is the type of response I'm looking for. Thanks four the info Drakecutter...

Derrick
Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Liftedpowerstroke] #2896043 01/04/12 01:38 AM
S
Shl0g Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I hunted Caddo this year for the first time ever with my in-laws who live in Hallsille, TX. We did well...but it is unlike any other lake that I have ever hunted. A couple things to note...

1.) Very hard to know where you are going when the water is up, need GPS or you might get really lost.

2.) Many, Many, Many permanent blinds that people have "rights to"....don't know the specifics (see previous posts)...but some are downright amazing.

3.) You can't really use layouts effectively from the portions I saw. You could not wade where we hunted or you would sink up to your armpits in mud (dog would be key). Having a very nice boat blind would be highly effective if your were hunting by yourself (not in a "rights" blind).

4.) A couple local guys back home in East TX hunt it very hard with GREAT success....but, they also know the lake extremely well (can't just go out there and throw some dekes out).

5.) Probably the only lake in TX (or anywhere?) where you can go hunt and not see a bird and still call it a success...espcially if you have never hunted it. The spanish moss hanging from the cypress just simply amazing.

Overall....Caddo Lake is none like any other. This lake truly gives back in success in terms of the amount of effort you put into it. Unlike the DFD madhouse where you might be able to go out on Lake CedRichGrapBridgeLewLavRayBob by Bridge 345678425 and catch a good front to kill some birds....

Caddo = effort......which to a true duck hunter, the pursuit is the best part!

Re: Caddo Lake [Re: Shl0g] #2897235 01/04/12 01:44 PM
D
drakecutter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
No problem. I hope you get out there and whack em!

"Always Chasing That Next Group"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide