Forums46
Topics537,004
Posts9,719,345
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx #2845491 12/16/11 11:01 PM
A
AllAboutExotics Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
If you are a member of the Exotic Wildlife Association (EWA) and/or subscribe to their newsletter, this information hit inboxes today >>> "Three Species" Update

There seems to be some misconception surrounding this subject as of late and the "rumors" have been flying around like crazy, so we wanted to share the information with as many people as possible to keep everyone in "the loop" as to what is going on as it pertains to the addax, dama gazelle & scimitar-horned oryx.

Craig Ellwanger
AllAboutExotics.com

Find Hunts, Breeders, News...& More!
Become a Fan of AAE on Facebook

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: AllAboutExotics] #2845528 12/16/11 11:17 PM
B
Bear Creek Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
You beat me to it!!

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully the EWA will be able to overturn this.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Bear Creek] #2845663 12/17/11 12:20 AM
B
Brian Drake Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
What info???

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Brian Drake] #2845887 12/17/11 01:48 AM
A
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
Brian, you can read the whole newsletter by clicking on the "Three Species Update" (in bold)...it's a link.

Craig Ellwanger
AllAboutExotics.com

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: AllAboutExotics] #2846163 12/17/11 03:56 AM
M
Mike Garcia Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Wish wasnt so hard, pricey for a Dama, I could complete my trio

Taxidermy Designs
Taxidermy By Manuel Garza � Tomball, Texas
www.taxidermydesigns.com

Pro Staff @ http://hipstargets.com/
Custom Bowstands By Michael Garcia
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Mike Garcia] #2846167 12/17/11 04:00 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Mike Garcia
Wish wasnt so hard, pricey for a Dama, I could complete my trio

Likewise....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Eland Slayer] #2846303 12/17/11 05:09 AM
H
Hill Country Hunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
My question is which other species are next? Nilgia? Fallow? Eland? The USFWS must have their eyes on others.

Psalm 3:3 - But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Hill Country Hunter] #2846358 12/17/11 06:12 AM
K
Kentucky_Windage Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Read much the same info in an email from SCI today.

One thing is certain: When you see the words "federal" and "permit" together, nothing good is likely to come from that. Good luck to those in the trenches in this fight.

This whole business prompted me to go harvest my first scimitar recently.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Kentucky_Windage] #2846781 12/17/11 03:36 PM
B
Bear Creek Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Nice Oryx! They're a beautiful animal and fun to hunt!

I'd better get moving if I want an Addax, I guess....

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Bear Creek] #2847565 12/17/11 10:49 PM
B
browning_bow_tikka_t3 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
dumb-a$$ federal govt and judicial system . . .

'07 Browing Illusion
Tikka T3 Stainless chambered in 30.06
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: browning_bow_tikka_t3] #2853202 12/19/11 10:17 PM
A
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
"stay in the loop" bump

Craig Ellwanger
AllAboutExotics.com

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: AllAboutExotics] #2855080 12/20/11 03:19 PM
T
T4PL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I've been following this issue as it has progressed and I hope for the best, but I do have some thoughts as to how the species could be de-listed as endangered. First, the 3 species are listed as endangered or extinct in their native habitats. Their native habitats exist in developing countries where the political environment and land usage do not hold much hope of ever re-introducing them in sufficient numbers. I can understand the argument that keeping and breeding them in contained areas does not warrant de-listing status even though their numbers are healthy here in Texas. Maybe we should look at introducing them (free range) in a habitat they could succeed and reproduce in here in Texas. I know this is a touchy subject with a lot of people objecting.

There probably are some already out there, but if we established a free roaming herd that was reproducing, could we not say they are now legitimate Texas wildlife and disregard the fact that they originated somewhere else? After all, North America did at one time have camels, rhinos, a type of cheetah, etc. Animals are constantly migrating and moving around, they don't recognize borders. The fact that humans aided them in getting here should be a minor detail. Just a thought.

Class of 2003
Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: T4PL] #2855197 12/20/11 04:02 PM
T
Trozacky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
No way T4PL. TPWD already hates Axis and other non-native species. They would never allow it to happen. Nore do I think they should. Just my $0.02

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Trozacky] #2859555 12/21/11 09:28 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Thanks for the link.

I have never been much of a high fence exotic kind of hunter. I have taken an ibex at mason mountain which is high fence so I am not above it. Mostly it is because I am a cheap bastard and can't afford or don't want to pay what most exotic hunts cost. But I have to admit, with the rumors and pending rulings on these three animals, there are some real bargains out there for what I am sure are some great hunts for some great animals that makes me want to reconsider one of these hunts. It's the hunters market right now. I am sure some outfitters/landowners/guides are taking some loses with some of these. Sorry to see it guys. In the end I hope it comes out to not be near as bad as expected for those of you in the exotics business. And that it does not become a trend.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: AllAboutExotics] #2860930 12/22/11 05:04 AM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I thought it would be a win win for everyone. At one time the way it was written up was that the breeder would also ship that certain species of exotic back to the country of origin where it is endangered. The way it was documented it would be a one to one, or close to that.

I guess someone always wants more, whether it's there Governments or ours. Oh well

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: 7mag] #2860970 12/22/11 05:16 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
All I gotta say is good job feds you instigated the slaughter. Guarantee half of our herd in texas will be gone in 90 days at the prices ur gonna start to see.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Mike Honcho] #2861018 12/22/11 05:31 AM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
It really is sad.

Obamaism at it's worst.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Roo Basher] #2861425 12/22/11 02:43 PM
T
T4PL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: Roo Basher
It really is sad.

Obamaism at it's worst.

Wolves taken off Endangered Species List = Obamaism at its best?

Class of 2003
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Mike Honcho] #2861658 12/22/11 04:08 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: jorge
All I gotta say is good job feds you instigated the slaughter. Guarantee half of our herd in texas will be gone in 90 days at the prices ur gonna start to see.

I guarantee you AT LEAST half of the Oryx in Texas have already been killed over the past 2 years, just in anticipation of the new regulations. There will certainly be more shot in the next few months too....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: T4PL] #2862709 12/22/11 10:33 PM
A
activescrape Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: T4PL
It really is sad.

Obamaism at it's worst.

Do you think Obama reintroduced wolves to their former range or something?

"It's not dyin' I'm talkin' about Woodrow, it's livin'!"
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: Eland Slayer] #2862816 12/22/11 11:10 PM
A
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
Wade, you're 100% right. AMAZING that ANYONE could think that this decision is going to somehow benefit these animals...but I think we all know that it's not about that. Like it has been termed, this is truly a "death warrant" on these 3 wonderful species.

We've seen this coming for a long time now and suspected that this would infact be the outcome, but now that it's upon us, it really starts to sink in...and it's a very sad day and a dark one in the exotic hunting/breeding industry.

Let's just pray that the same result doesn't befall the "popular" exotics that are known to be on the next list of animals destined for the same penalty...

FYI -- Just got word from the EWA today that it will be 90 days from the ruling being made public (rumor was 30-90) to enforcement.

A real shame that it has come to this.

Craig Ellwanger
AllAboutExotics.com

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: AllAboutExotics] #2866982 12/24/11 03:12 PM
H
Hoof-Hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Thought I would post the update here for those who do not know who the "three amigos' are. This is the absolute latest from EWA.

Exotic Wildlife Association
Exotic Wildlife Association
Membership Alert

In our commitment to keep our members up to date with latest information, the EWA has received word today that the United States Fish and Wildlife Service will be publishing the final rule regarding the "Three Species" within the next few days. They have indicated there will be a 90 day period before the new rule takes affect. This would mean that they will not begin to enforce this final rule until the latter part of March or the first of April. They have also indicated that they will meet with industry leaders in the next 3-4 weeks to explain the revised provisions in the final rule before it takes affect. We will share those provisions with our members as quickly as they become available.

The Exotic Wildlife Association is committed to continuing our pursuit of all avenues to resolve this situation and we ask our members to stay optimistic as we pursue those legislative and legal remedies. With their recent delisting of the Wolf in the Great Lakes area of the United States, we believe, as do our attorneys, that they have set a precedent that can be also applied to the litigation involving the

"Three Species".

Last edited by Hoof-Hunter; 12/24/11 03:13 PM.
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: activescrape] #2868316 12/25/11 12:41 AM
T
T4PL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: activescrape
Originally Posted By: T4PL
It really is sad.

Obamaism at it's worst.

Do you think Obama reintroduced wolves to their former range or something?

No, and I also don't think "Obamaism" has anything to do with the 3 species ruling.

Class of 2003
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: T4PL] #2871803 12/26/11 10:16 PM
A
AK Safari Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Congress forced the delisting of the wolves after many attempts by the Greenies aided by the administration to stop it. There were countless thousands of dollars in legal expenses by SCI and other groups to delist wolves since they had more than met the bench mark set for the reintroduction.

My thought is that all sportsmen need to aid NRA, SCI and the other groups if you want to retain your rights to hunt any species in the future. These groups support managing species via science and not other means. The attack on these species is just another tactic to take away your ability to hunt one species at a time.

If they win here using legal wrangling then hold on another species is next....

Ron Haberman
AK-SCI Hunt Coordinator
Past President
Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx [Re: AK Safari] #2872320 12/27/11 02:22 AM
T
T4PL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: AK Safari
Congress forced the delisting of the wolves after many attempts by the Greenies aided by the administration to stop it.

Complete bs. When has this congress done anything this legislative session without throwing a hissy fit and threaten to shut down the government? Please read the article again which states that this administration made the final determination to de-list the wolves. You don't have to support them but you also don't get to make up your own facts to support your ideology.

Class of 2003
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide