Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease #284906 12/28/07 02:13 AM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
It appears there are more people in this area of the forum looking for a lease then there are leases available; so I'd like to pose a question to you folks. All of you seem to post, "I'm looking for a lease for 2 possibly 4 hunters, etc"

Would it not make sense for everyone to work together in find a lease everyone could join in on?

What I am thinking, is forming the club before you have the area to lease. Once you have the number of members, set a limit each member is willing to put up.

By getting a large group together, would it be possible to get an area that only large corporations compete for?

Does anyone know if this has been done before?

What are your thoughts?

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Hopedale] #284907 12/28/07 02:39 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Your idea has merit to a point, and that point is not everybody wants the same thing in a lease, and not everyone can play nice together.

Go back and review all the threads about deer hunting, and you will notice that all of us have different ideas on what we want out of a lease.

Some folks want a lease to be archery only, some want size limits either in addition to or seperate from TP&W on their lease.

Some folks want to just be able to go out and fill every tag they have and are not worried about trying to manage the place.

Take my situation. I am looking for a place between 80 and 200 acres for 2 to 4 people. I don't want a place in any county with antler restrictions. I want a place where the land owner does not care what I shoot as long as it is legal.

I want to be able to take a guest if I want to and I expect that guest to use their tag and I do not want a place where I have to "burn" one of my tags if a guest shoots a deer.

I also want a place where any guest I bring can shoot any deer they see, not just a doe.

Yes, hunting clubs have been put together in the past and in some cases they have worked.

I just feel that the more people that are involved the more chance for problems to develope. JMO.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Crazyhorse] #284908 12/28/07 12:58 PM
B
BMowatt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I agree with Crazyhorse

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: BMowatt] #284909 12/28/07 01:25 PM
E
eskimodr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
E
While I agree with what's been said, you could still do the club if you made the rules prior to inviting members. Another item to consider; depending on where the land is located there might be either smaller land owners adjacent or even small towns adjacent to the lease. Will you give each member a specific compartment or allow first-come; first-serve for that particular day? That's just one of many questions people will be asking. Let me know what you decide to do.

Rob
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: eskimodr] #284910 12/28/07 02:03 PM
H
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I think it is a good idea. If you can find enough like minded individuals.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: highlonesome1] #284911 12/28/07 03:23 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I think it is a good idea. If you can find enough like minded individuals.

That is where it becomes a pain in the cazoo

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: 7mag] #284912 12/28/07 03:46 PM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Well, the lease I used to belong to had 33 members. The club was already formed with established rules, so if I wanted in, I had to agree to the rules. For the most part the rules were focused on safety, which was fine by me. About the only time I didn't like it was the year the club voted to ban putting corn out. Which I thought was dumb, and was changed the year later.

Anyway, I've never started one, and haven't started looking for a lease yet. But I do miss hunting with a group of folks with similar views.

You are right; you will never find one size fits all. However in this forum, I believe we could get several folks together to form a club.

I liked what I had before, with one exception. I hunted that lease for 3 years and only took one deer. It wasn't in Texas, but it was a nice set up.

We had approximately 2000 acres. Each member could have two perminate stands. Inside the tree line you couldn't set up within 100 yards of another hunter, and in an open field it was 200 yards of another hunter. If you had a mobile stand, ie climber or blind, you could go anywhere on the lease, as long as you didn't set up on someone. I will need to find my rule book to see what the actual distances where but from memory I believe they are correct.

In the three years I was there, the club officers had only one dispute on distance in an open field that needed to be measured. It was handled without commotion, because the guy that wanted to setup, asked for the measurement before he placed his perminate stand.

The lease was open year round, but its primary use was deer hunting, but I did manage a few turkey hunts on it.

As for methods of taking game, we had bow, black powder, and firearm of your choice.

You could put out deer feeders and food plots, but it wasn't required.

The first, and only deer I got, was off of a friends stand. It was a nice 105 lb doe, and I was proud of it. Sharing that moment with friends was great, which is what makes a lease something worth looking into for me.

The accommodations were nice. We had a loggers building as the camp. Half was for cold storage and deer cleaning. The other half included two bathrooms, kitchen, dinning\tv room, and sleeping quarters. To me, it was a 5 star hotel in the middle of the woods. Talk about being spoiled. I only had to drive 1hr 15 from the house to get out there. And for those with kids, they loved hanging out around the camp. And during the off season, there 4-wheel trails to ride and stock tanks to fish.

Right now my focus would be a place I could hunt all season long, with the method of my choice. And a place that I could go on all year long to scout or take my kids and expose them to the outdoors. Also looking to make new friends and enjoy the commerodery that comes with hunting.

Distance, well of course I'd love something close to home, but if the place has somewhere to stay, then driving 2 - 3 hours doesn't look to bad.

Questions, comments, and Opinions please.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Hopedale] #284913 12/28/07 03:58 PM
R
randtx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Hopedale, that sounds great. If you find a place please let me know of any other openings. Thanks.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Hopedale] #284914 12/28/07 04:05 PM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I think it's a great idea.

Since I've been monitoring this forum, I've seen little get done in the way of hunters matched with leases. If you're a single hunter, you've got little chance of getting onto a lease by coming here.

There are a lot of variables. No one has even mentioned the drinking vs no-drinking divide.

Myself, I think you have to first decide how many deer of each sex can be taken off the land, consistently, each year and then divide that up by the number of members. A member could give or sell his right to a deer to another member. As for what Crazyhorse wants -- guests to take deer without it counting against a member's alotment -- that makes no sense to me. How would that possibly work?

What I'd like I don't think many would want:

1) No drinking on the property
2) Year round access but emphasis just on deer hunting
3) No baiting or food plots
4) Enough land so that the hunter could fill all his tags allowed in that county
5) Emphasis on portable stands or hunting from chairs
6) Not in an AR county and each shooter decides what he wants to shoot as long as it is within the bounds of the number allowed.

Last edited by chestnut; 12/28/07 04:07 PM.
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: randtx] #284915 12/28/07 04:06 PM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Quote:

Hopedale, that sounds great. If you find a place please let me know of any other openings. Thanks.

But that's the complete opposite of what he's trying to do. He wants people on board before land is found.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Hopedale] #284916 12/28/07 04:06 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
About 2 years ago i almost nosed dived into one of these type groups. The group was mainly out of the Houston area. There were 12 of them and they were looking for 2 additional spots. This lease was in Crockett County, near Ozona. They gave me the insight on the place and I met them at the lease, to look things over. The main guy was not there, but I had spoken with him numerous times, by phone. I asked him about bowhunting, muzzleloaders and such, more so if they were Ok with it. He stated no problems. This group did the lease kind of like a military type ranking order. From a commander, on down. My buddy and I were at the very bottom. The place was nice and looked like they took really good deer, in prior seasons. I had 2 deposits in hand, if we decided to go with it. I was then advised of our "chores" . My buddy and I would be responsible for painting and repairing the hunters house They advised me this was done this way with all new members. I asked what they did to help out the lease, they stated they had already done their share, when they came on years ago Anyhow this place was pretty run down, as far as the house. I asked the Lt about muzzleloaders and bowhunting. He advised me the man in charge was against it. Loaders were a fire hazard and the bowhunting left too many deer to flee and not be harvested(wounded). I wasn't into either at the time, my buddy was. I was also advised that there were 3 pastures we could place our feeders and blinds, the other places were taken. The Chief had also advised we could take a cull, and a trophy. I was advised by our chubby Lt. that since we were at the bottom of the pole, it would take a few seasons before we were eligable to harvest a cull. It seemed this pyrmid worked in there favor, as you can see why. All new guys get the shaft, and the older guys in the club feasted like Kings, breaking the new guys back. We didn't get on as one can imagine. The days of a handshake and word of mouth are gone. A lease or club agreement is needed to keep everyone in check, IMO.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: 7mag] #284917 12/28/07 05:27 PM
T
taxidrmst_james Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I would have laughed in his face as i was driving off which im sure you did 7mag..to many people have leases or are lease managers that dont want to do anything and leave the work to someone else ,,been on leases like that before

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: taxidrmst_james] #284918 12/28/07 05:48 PM
R
randtx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
"But that's the complete opposite of what he's trying to do. He wants people on board before land is found."

Kinda hard to "I'm on board without knowing the location and price don't ya think?

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: randtx] #284919 12/28/07 05:55 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
btw, my 2 "lease guys" that are currently with me, came right off this Forum. I didn't know them for squat. Took a chance..................the rest is history.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: 7mag] #284920 12/29/07 12:27 AM
dbgsig Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I have thought about doing the same thing. Everytime I find a good lease it is to costly for me and a few buddies. If I could find a few good people then we could afford a larger, more productive lease. I am in favor of deer management, so mature bucks and does would be my goal.

Keep me in mind if someone decides to follow thru on this idea. I prefer West Texas, for there deer size and numbers.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Hopedale] #284921 12/29/07 01:59 AM
D
droptine43 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Having had to fill four spots on our lease this past year, I know that this idea can work. Yes, the lease was already in hand, but we were not looking for bodies to fill spots. We were looking for folks that would fit with us, and we found them. I believe a person could start a thread describing the type of lease and expectations of those who might be on the lease and would get some response. There would be many advatages in working as a group in finding a lease. I had always hunted with lifelong friends and family before this year, and when we were facing having to fill four spots, I was not sure as to what or who we would find. We described what our group was about and found like minded folks to join us. So far so good. One exception that we have from others (that I have read on here) is that we do not divide the lease into individual areas. Everyone hunts the entire lease and nobody has a private stand. No arguments over who hunts where, we flip a coin if two guys want to hunt the same stand. My $0.02

droptine43
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: 7mag] #284922 12/29/07 05:03 AM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
7Mag,

Don't blame you a bit for not want in on that deal. But what I'm talking about is trying to link people together on this forum with similar hunting ideals.

For example, if you only want a lease for bow hunting, then other folks could find you. Form the club. Establish the rules. Decide on a member fee. Decide on size property needed, etc.

Were I work, only a couple of folks hunt. The leases they are on, are with family and are to small to let new members join. So, I've looked to this forum.

I read several post of people looking for a lease. Like I said earlier; it just seems that a club could be formed and a group effort to find property could begin.

This post went up yesterday and has had 212 views and 15 replies. Seems to me the title got alot of attention.

Does anyone have club rules they could post? I may or may not have mine, but will see if I can find a copy. It may take a few days.

Basicly, I like what Crazyhoarse has described so far. It reminds me of my old club.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Hopedale] #284923 12/29/07 01:50 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Hopedale there is no doubt it can work. Like I said. I found my 2 lease partners off this Forum. If you can get a group that is interested in the same thing you are and share the same ideas, it's worth a try.

Finding the right people is what is tough, more so finding the people that EVERYONE in the group gets along with. Some people are more sensitve then others and get pretty irrate quickly ect. I think you have hit on an idea. Put out what your looking for, in lease partners, and some guidlines and have a go at it. It can't hurt nothing.

Come up with rules, once you get your group. Every person can have their input, and you will find who really wants in, and who doesn't like to play by the rules. If you have it set up correct, the memebers can start looking for a lease. Might even split the gas and go see different properties ect. I think it can work, if you lay out what the memebers want. First agenda is what price is each individual willingly to pay??? Some may think 2 grand is way too much, others may say it is the norm ect.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: 7mag] #284924 12/29/07 03:02 PM
dbgsig Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Hopedale,
I'm interested in a lease/club idea. Where do you live?
What part of the state are interested in?
I have been part of a club before and had they had rules I had to sign. I will see if I still have a copy, its been a few yrs now.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: dbgsig] #284925 12/31/07 02:13 PM
B
bige Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I have about 6- 10 people that would be intrested in this as well.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: chestnut] #284926 12/31/07 03:05 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

As for what Crazyhorse wants -- guests to take deer without it counting against a member's alotment -- that makes no sense to me. How would that possibly work?

It worked for 13 years on the place I hunted in Montague county, and I never paid one cent for the rights to hunt the place.

As I said, Not Everyone, including land owners view deer and deer hunting the same.

The place I am looking for now is one where I can tag out on does but if I see a buck I can kill it.

If I am going to be paying for the place, and I want a guest to come and hunt with me, I want them to be able to shoot anything they want to, and I don't want it to count against my tags, simply because there is no shortage of deer over most of the state, and on most if not all leases, not nearly enough deer are shot every season.

As for what you want in a lease:

1) No drinking on the property
2) Year round access but emphasis just on deer hunting
3) No baiting or food plots
4) Enough land so that the hunter could fill all his tags allowed in that county
5) Emphasis on portable stands or hunting from chairs
6) Not in an AR county and each shooter decides what he wants to shoot as long as it is within the bounds of the number allowed.

Here are my thoughts as to what I want:

1. Drinking = As long as it is done responsibly I have no problem with it what so ever. I like to drink, and having a few drinks around the campfire at the end of the day, is what helps make camp life and friendships that much better. If a person does not want to drink, that is okay, if they are totally against it, they will not fit into my lease set up.

2. Year round access to ALL hunting and hopefully Fishing.

3. Everyone will contribute and help with the set up/maintenance/filling/purchasing of feed and establishing food plots. I am out there to hunt deer and part of that process requires killing deer. For the average hunter, a deer feeding relaxed at a feeder is a dead deer, opposed to a nervous deer being shot and lost by a nervous hunter.

4. I agree on this one, although, your idea of enough land and mine are probably worlds apart. In an area made up of low fenced properties, deer movement is usually good enough that unless someone is really picky, anyone can fill all their tags.

5. Nothing portable unless a hunter is going to be on the place by themselves that day. All stands and tri-pods, whatever, would be built the same, and there would be none of this, "No one hunts my stand if I ain't there".

If a person wants to set a tri-pod in a particular location, that is fine, BUT, if they are not going to be there that weekend to hunt it, it is open to anyone that does show up.

6. Definitely not in an AR county.

One thing that I would do, and maybe some folks should think about this on their leases, is I would look real strongly at making opening weekend does only or requiring everyone on the lease to kill a doe, before trying for a buck.

I do not blame folks for wanting to kill a buck, but I am having a problem with folks that ONLY want to Kill A Buck, and ALL They Want Is The Antlers.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: Crazyhorse] #284927 12/31/07 03:44 PM
T
ThreePeppers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
After having no luck finding a lease the last two years, I have been having the same thoughts. I don't know what data collection capabilities this website has (such as surveys, polls, questionnaires, etc.) but if someone could put together a thread collecting all lookers requirements, they could then be matched with like-minded indiviuals.

For instance, I'm 40, happily married, and hunt with my 9 yr old son, so I'm looking for a family environment, not a bunch of guys looking to get away from their wives to play cards and drink beer (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Also, I would like for us to be able to share a spot since we would never take more than 3 deer per season combined and we always hunt from the same blind anyway.

I would like to be within 3 hrs to the west of Fort Worth.

I believe in herd management to a certain extent (I wouldn't let him shoot a 2.5 yr old 8 point in Baylor County this weekend), but also would tend to lean more towards quantity than quality. Anyone who has spent much time in a blind with a 9 yr old knows that seeing any deer is more important than seeing a trophy buck.

I'm mainly looking for whitetail, hogs, and turkey and would prefer a year round lease with loding of some sort.

I would be willing to bring two blinds and two feeders but am not looking to spend $1000 per year on protein.

My budget for a lease for the two of us would be up to $2500 per year.

I subscribe to deertexas.com and huntingpages.com so if anyone has similar interests and think that we might get along good together, please feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss further.

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: ThreePeppers] #284928 12/31/07 10:22 PM
M
MUDRTRKR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Hello all,

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: MUDRTRKR] #284929 12/31/07 10:57 PM
M
MUDRTRKR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Sorry hit the wrong key. I just found this site today. I have looked at it for a few hours now and I like it. I got on a lease over in Bagwell other side of Paris this year.(that was a joke and waste of my money) I didnt even hunt it because they kept changing the rules and adding people. I showed up early this year (March) to start scouting an area and set up my feeder and blind. I ended up never setting up because it just seemed too shady. I was able to hunt as a guest on a friends lease west of Bowie. A great set up for the budget hunter. 6 guys 600 acres, no running water no electric. Bring out your own camper leave it set up year round. You can have guest all year, only exception is whitetail season. Then you can bring one at a time and they can only shoot a doe ,but it does burn one of your tags. (seems fair to me). Every body hunts thier own blind,feeder and foodplot. This is you get out what you put in or, you raise you chances atleast. Some guys did not keep corn in thier feeders except when they came out. You could hunt old abandoned blinds as long as it did not interfere with another hunter. You could not leave your blind untill 10am. Basic common courtesy. Anybody know of smething similar let me know. I would be willing to pay a little more. Must be family friendly, responsible and ethical and have fun

Re: Lease Available - vs - People Looking For A Lease [Re: MUDRTRKR] #284930 01/01/08 01:47 PM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Well, this thread is going nowhere -- just like all the others.

Look, if we're going to get this off the ground, we need to have everybody who is interested leave their name and what part of the state they're interested in. Later, maybe someone can gather up those in one section and do something about it.

Let's divide the state into the same sections the TPWD uses:

Trans Pecos
High Plains/Pan Handle
Cross Timbers
Hill Country
Post Oak Savannah
Pineywoods
Oak Prairie
South Texas Plains

If you aren't sure where these are you can visit the TPWD site and find out.

I'll start out in my next post. Just leave user name and region.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide