Print Thread
1st solo duck hunt #2821982 12/09/11 01:11 AM
M
Moe #2 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
I hope this dos not fall under naming lakes because I know nothing about the quality of this place but I'm camping at tawakoni this weekend and I'm going to try and find a place to hunt ducks. I have no time to scout and I know that is part of the fun. I have decoys, a dog camo and a permit I have a call but if I blow it buzzards may come looking for something dying. I have never even shot at a flying duck but I know to keep shots under 40yrds. If someone knows any info that would help or has a spot open to help teach please PM. If not I will be out there tryin not to mess with any one sorry in advance if I make mistakes. It's all fun to me I would hate to get someone upset. Thanks for any help.

Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: Moe #2] #2822161 12/09/11 02:28 AM
N
No Choke Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Two thumbs up for ya. up up It is a hard sport/hunting experience to learn and you are diving in head first by going out there by yourself. Wish that I was in your area to help ya.
Advice-go early, dress in layers, pack light on deeks, don't call very much or at all, and have the local GW on speed dial.

[Linked Image]
Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: No Choke] #2822212 12/09/11 02:48 AM
J
Jordan A Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I am also new and have been told get there early, very early and leave the call in the car. Let the decoys work

“If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.”
-William Maxwell
Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: Jordan A] #2822213 12/09/11 02:48 AM
J
Jordan A Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Make sure its also steel shot

“If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.”
-William Maxwell
Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: Jordan A] #2822224 12/09/11 02:52 AM
N
No Choke Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
and have your license/permits on you and not in your vehicle.

[Linked Image]
Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: No Choke] #2822255 12/09/11 03:02 AM
H
Hooligan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I'm a newb too, I've been told to leave the call at home until you are good with it. I'm not yet so mine stays in my truck for practicing when I drive

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: Moe #2] #2822662 12/09/11 07:12 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Moe #2
I hope this dos not fall under naming lakes because I know nothing about the quality of this place but I'm camping at tawakoni this weekend and I'm going to try and find a place to hunt ducks. I have no time to scout and I know that is part of the fun. I have decoys, a dog camo and a permit I have a call but if I blow it buzzards may come looking for something dying. I have never even shot at a flying duck but I know to keep shots under 40yrds. If someone knows any info that would help or has a spot open to help teach please PM. If not I will be out there tryin not to mess with any one sorry in advance if I make mistakes. It's all fun to me I would hate to get someone upset. Thanks for any help.

WOW!!! How cool, all these new folks gettin into it! If you live in the DFW area: Get in touch with Robert Ramirez, Hunter Ed instructor with TPWD. He is putting on some mentored hunts in your area in cooperation with Delta Waterfowl. I think you either JUST missed one, or it's this weekend. So you'd have access not just to the land & (I think the problem is Canada Geese) waterfowl, but the event is an awesome resource in terms of learning or potential to meet new hunting partners. You can reach Robert at 817-564-6579. Tell him Dawn Bello recommended you ask about the mentored hunts.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2822987 12/09/11 02:34 PM
F
fish4rob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
i dont know anything about Tawakoni but I would take a different approach then recommended. If you do not know the lake wait to go until there is plenty of light as to be able to navigate. Then, look for pockets of ducks and if possible set up where they flush if you find cover. That way you will be able to see other hunters so that you will not have to intrude on their hunt and you can get a hunt/scouting trip accomplished at the same time. We shoot lots of mallards after 9.

Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: fish4rob] #2823069 12/09/11 03:05 PM
M
Moe #2 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Thanks folks. I'll give Robert a call.
So if I can find ducks after daylight and hide there's a good chance more may return later that morn. I know you can't hunt tawakoni pass 12:00. In that type of hunt does decoys help much? I'm don't think I mentioned this will be a walking hunt no boat.

Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: fish4rob] #2823426 12/09/11 05:19 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: fish4rob
i dont know anything about Tawakoni but I would take a different approach then recommended. If you do not know the lake wait to go until there is plenty of light as to be able to navigate. Then, look for pockets of ducks and if possible set up where they flush if you find cover. That way you will be able to see other hunters so that you will not have to intrude on their hunt and you can get a hunt/scouting trip accomplished at the same time. We shoot lots of mallards after 9.

I use this approach a lot of times with my yak on Lake X-1. Since it's quiet & slow, I see other hunters long before I intrude. I like that it's light and I can get some scouting in, too. I've often arrived as others were leaving empty-handed and the ducks showed up later. I also change my strategy with the weather. And, with my job, I have the luxury of hunting week days which can turn out ok if you find the right spot. No matter what, it makes for a safe, serene and enjoyable hunt! Oh, and I go very light on the dekes when I take this approach. I put 'em in a place/arrangement that's believable & looks reasonable to the ducks, based on weather, location, what the ducks themselves are doing, etc. Sometimes less is more.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2823642 12/09/11 06:48 PM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I would recommend starting your hunt out early and moving to where the ducks are going after daylight. The first light flight is usually the most active and can be amazing to witness. If you are not where they want to be then move after the first flight.

I would put out decoys no matter where you are at, but be sure the water isnt to deep to recover them or too deep for the weights to catch bottom. I would recommend 6-8.

I would also bring the duck call along, even if you don't know how to blow it. As long as you realize you dont need to highball at every passing duck, you are ok. Nothing wrong with throwing out a few quacks here and there, thats how you see if it is flaring the birds or not. I wouldnt use it if I was hunting with others tho.

Bring a leash for your dog. Mine is trained, but always stays on a leash when hunting. Nothing can ruin a good time faster than chasing after a dog and screaming for him to listen. It is kinda funny to watch from across the lake tho!!!

Good luck and post some pics!

Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #2823879 12/09/11 08:26 PM
H
hpd Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
If you're hunting solo, don't forget to take a few basic safety precautions...water, extra flashlights. When I head out by myself, I leave a map with my wife where I've circled the approximate area I'll be hunting. If I'm not back by a certain time, she'll call for help. It's easy to get in a lot of trouble out there when you're loaded down with gear and navigating in unfamiliar watery/muddy/boggy areas in the freezing cold. Good luck and BE CAREFUL.

Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2826559 12/11/11 02:39 AM
M
Moe #2 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Found some ducks by 8:30 set up real fast shot my 1st duck ever at 9:15 that was great what wasn't so great is that the duck set dead 18 inches off shore and I couldn't recover it with out getting stuck in the mud. I tried for 45min to put wood or rocks and even small trees on top to step on but came up short by 15foot . I'm taking the dog tomorrow I hope with her only a 1/3 of my weight and four feet she will be able to go more across than sinking. If anyone has advice on dealing with getting to water when there's 15 yrds of mud to cross please speak up.

Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: Moe #2] #2826613 12/11/11 02:59 AM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Get yourself a fishing pole with a big treble hook( think great white shark big). I use it to pick up decoys all the time..or get a DWADR...google it.

Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: kdub] #2827916 12/11/11 07:57 PM
B
Bluesea112 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
When I know I am going to be hunting around deep mud, I always take along 5 swimming pool noodles that are zip tied together. It is extremely light to carry, and it will keep you from sinking in the mud. My rule of thumb when walking in mud is to never get into mud with water over 2 feet deep. That way I can hang onto the noodle and crawl over the mud on my knees, which spreads my weight over the length of my lower legs. If the water is not over 2 feet deep, you can get down on your knees without the water coming over the top of your chest waders.

I know I am going to take some ribbing for this, but it works really well. Just don't forget to spray paint the noodles with a dark colored flat spray paint.

Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: Bluesea112] #2828455 12/11/11 11:31 PM
M
Moe #2 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Well set up quick blind took the dog and my daughter out at 1st light she ask if she could shoot these birds come bye? It was already shooting light I look up from getting things set just right with stuff and dog to see 4 big ross geese flying 15 yrds in front and maybe 20 foot off the ground. Before I could tell yes and she could raise the gun they were out of range. But that was cool.Any way she got two shovelers I got nothing but a great time and the dog retreived her 1st ducks and the dog was able to get my 1st duck I shot yesterday.

Re: 1st solo duck hunt [Re: Moe #2] #2832146 12/13/11 02:41 AM
J
jde Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Very cool Moe loved the follow along.Congrats

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide