Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scouting.... #2815951 12/07/11 01:29 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
5 lakes/rivers, 482 miles of driving, 2 tanks of gas through the boat, froze our azzes off in the wind, all over a 12 hour day, but found plenty of birds.

That, my friends is what duck hunting is about!

confused2

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Scouting.... [Re: FowlDreams] #2816002 12/07/11 01:44 AM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
I'll give ya that, Brett. That's the way to put in the work. And that IS what hunting public is all about. Get off your azz, gas up the truck and boat and go find em instead of asking folks. Let that be a lesson to some on here.

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Scouting.... [Re: FowlDreams] #2816003 12/07/11 01:45 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sounds like fun!

Re: Scouting.... [Re: Guy] #2816015 12/07/11 01:48 AM
T
Trozacky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
So where were all the birds? What time of day were they flying? What park did you put your boat in on. What lake? Can I go and bring some friends?

Barney

Re: Scouting.... [Re: Homey da Clown] #2816038 12/07/11 01:54 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
I'll give ya that, Brett. That's the way to put in the work. And that IS what hunting public is all about. Get off your azz, gas up the truck and boat and go find em instead of asking folks. Let that be a lesson to some on here.

that was my pointgrin

Re: Scouting.... [Re: FowlDreams] #2816128 12/07/11 02:16 AM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I prolly enjoy that part more than the killing. No Joke!

Re: Scouting.... [Re: FowlDreams] #2816135 12/07/11 02:18 AM
H
Hobbs McAvoy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I thought duck hunting was about shooting ducks. Guess that's just me. grin

Re: Scouting.... [Re: Hobbs McAvoy] #2816220 12/07/11 02:45 AM
S
SGIBSON Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
We need some GPS coordinates.....lol

Re: Scouting.... [Re: SGIBSON] #2816271 12/07/11 03:05 AM
A
Aggieduck Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I like that part just as much, I only shoot them to finalize the sucess of scouting. Well, I guess shooting them is kinda a lot of fun too.

Re: Scouting.... [Re: Aggieduck] #2816283 12/07/11 03:07 AM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Yep, sounds like a good time. The feeling success is so much sweeter when you put effort into it.

Re: Scouting.... [Re: Featherduster] #2816285 12/07/11 03:08 AM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
oh yeah, and thanks for the call. lol

Re: Scouting.... [Re: duckiller] #2816378 12/07/11 03:31 AM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: duckiller
I prolly enjoy that part more than the killing. No Joke!

X10

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Scouting.... [Re: Homey da Clown] #2816547 12/07/11 04:12 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
Oh and only 1 of those lakes came up any significant amount from the rains this past weekend... about 6"

I was pretty disappointed about that, but there's still runoff from creeks/river going into it, so maybe it'll come up a little more by this weekend.

Each one of those lakes still needs to come up at least 6' before my honey holes fill up juggle

Re: Scouting.... [Re: FowlDreams] #2816639 12/07/11 04:37 AM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Must be nice to have the time and money to do that. Its not that some folks.are lazy and wont get off their azz to scout, some folks can't. I cannot afford to to scout that hard nor do I have the time with my work schedule. I believe many folks also have that problem. I would love to be able to do things like that. I dislike like how quick people call some one a barney cause they aren't fortunate to be able to.scout and are looking for some help. I commend you on your hard work scouting and I hope it pays off for you. I will continue to be stuck in this duckless hell hole they call college station. Lol

No worries im just in a bad mood, and I mean no.disrespect

Stickin' gills and Stackin' bills

In a world of compromise..... some dont....
Re: Scouting.... [Re: Boudreaux] #2816651 12/07/11 04:40 AM
A
Aggieduck Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Plenty of ducks in CStat.

Re: Scouting.... [Re: Aggieduck] #2816663 12/07/11 04:44 AM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
If you have private land im sure there are plenty of birds.

Re: Scouting.... [Re: Boudreaux] #2816678 12/07/11 04:48 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Boudreaux
Must be nice to have the time and money to do that. Its not that some folks.are lazy and wont get off their azz to scout, some folks can't. I cannot afford to to scout that hard nor do I have the time with my work schedule. I believe many folks also have that problem. I would love to be able to do things like that. I dislike like how quick people call some one a barney cause they aren't fortunate to be able to.scout and are looking for some help. I commend you on your hard work scouting and I hope it pays off for you. I will continue to be stuck in this duckless hell hole they call college station. Lol

It's all good, and I definitely understand that... to a certain extent. I will admit that I'm fortunate enough that my job gives me at minimum 2 days off during the week every week and every other weekend off.

The money situation is also understandable. I spent $120 in gas, $6 chick fil a breakfast, $10 for snacks/drinks/dip at the gas station, and $12 at walmart. I stopped and picked up a ski mask. I left my under armour mask at home and my face would have frozen off otherwise.

Re: Scouting.... [Re: FowlDreams] #2816701 12/07/11 04:56 AM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
482 mi of.windshield time with my boat in tow would have cost roughly $175 plus 2 tanks of fuel in the boat another $40. Gets expensesive real quick. Got to pay to play, but there is a limit

Re: Scouting.... [Re: Boudreaux] #2816709 12/07/11 04:58 AM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D

That's a paragraph full of excuses. The reality is that if you wanted to make it happen you could. The funny thing is most duck hunters who "don't have" time or money to scout somehow find the time and money to show up to the tag along duck shoot at their buddies hole.

I've noticed that 9 times out of 10 when you invite someone on a duck hunt they will show up at the drop of a hat. On the contrary more times than not when you invite someone to help scout with you they can't make it or something comes up last minute that conflicts.

I hate excuses. Its a matter of priority. Not that that's a bad thing...that's just how it is. "You make time for the things you love."

Re: Scouting.... [Re: duckiller] #2816738 12/07/11 05:07 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
^^^ sad but true...

Re: Scouting.... [Re: duckiller] #2816745 12/07/11 05:09 AM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Its hard to get in the hunts when you work.6 days a week sun to sun.down. even if the time was there, the cost is there. Unfortunately there are other priorities.in life that have to move hunting down the list. They aren't "excuses". And sometimes it is heck of a lot.easier.to just show up on an invite. A lot less logistics involved for a single hunt, rather than having to spend twice the time for one hunt. I am not a lazy hunter, but my schedule does.not allow me to be able to scout.

I did spend what little.time I could scouting during the split, but it was not productive. No water, no birds, no bueno

Re: Scouting.... [Re: Boudreaux] #2816789 12/07/11 05:32 AM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Its hard to get in the hunts when you work.6 days a week sun to sun.down. even if the time was there, the cost is there. Unfortunately there are other priorities.in life that have to move hunting down the list. They aren't "excuses". And sometimes it is heck of a lot.easier.to just show up on an invite. A lot less logistics involved for a single hunt, rather than having to spend twice the time for one hunt. I am not a lazy hunter, but my schedule does.not allow me to be able to scout.

I did spend what little.time I could scouting during the split, but it was not productive. No water, no birds, no bueno

Like I said, it's a matter of priority and that's not a bad thing.

Also keep in mind, when you tag along for a hunt someone else most likely had to do all the things that you dont make time to do and spend all the money that you aren't willing to spend. In other words someone else is setting the table that you are eating at.

Re: Scouting.... [Re: Boudreaux] #2816870 12/07/11 06:56 AM
T
TBK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

Sounds you either need to find a different Bobbie or learn to live with limited success. Maybe it sucks but that's life. You get out of everything what you put in whether it's work, family or duck hunting.

Re: Scouting.... [Re: TBK] #2816881 12/07/11 07:29 AM
J
Jordan A Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
This is why I as a first season duck hunter I have come to realize that duck hunting is a special breed of hunter (in many aspects as far as scouting, lugging gear, buying gear, calling, etc . . .). Not that other hunting doesn't have that (to each his own). But it is also why I have come to love it

“If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.”
-William Maxwell
Re: Scouting.... [Re: Boudreaux] #2816910 12/07/11 11:06 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

IMO if you're going to duck hunt, the challenge of preparing is what it's about. It's the scouting and the umteen million 'unpleasantries' that we come to love (thigh-deep mud, freezing cold water, biting wind & weather, exhausting treks, toting gear thru unforgiving terrain and more.) And the dog... ever at our side, who understands this call of the wild and who adores us for the priviledge of being able to tag along as together, we border on the insane, testing our mettle against the elements. Somehow, all this lets us know that we are alive and living large - because we're doing what so many others would not. It's the inner satisfaction of surmounting great challenges that equals quality of life.

That said, I wanted to expand my options this year and have lots of new places to hunt on the central coast, which is a 3 hr drive from home. This would be in addition to where I've been going, which is anywhere between a 15 and 90 min drive from home. The new place is my 'luxury'... it's a lease and I pay someone else to do the scouting and give me access to many great spots. It's a different kind of pleasure to just show up, chunk some dekes out and wait for the birds (yes, I'm over-simplifying it.) But nice as that is, I can't shake the feeling that I'm cheating because I'm gleaning (killing ducks) where another man has sown (found the ducks.) Plus you can just drive right up to every spot. Yes, it's nice and definitely has it's advantages, but to me, it does feel like less than half the sport. I battle with myself because I paid for this "luxury", yet struggle to look at it as such. It feels too easy, yet it was meant to be - and I tell myself it's practical, wise and safer for a single, almost always solo, female hunter in her 50's who must admit she is getting a little slower with each passing year.

However, I will always feel that the difficult to attain public spots are a unique treasure for their challenges. And crazy as it sounds, I yearn for this challenge and in many ways, prefer it over the luxuries of the lease. I need the occasional 'fix' of having to work to get to where the ducks can so effortlessly fly (and fly away. lol) And whether I kill ducks or not is secondary to having put in the effort. Something in me just needs to know that when I see ducks, it's due to my, not someone else's efforts. Maybe it's because I'm from an earlier era when you worked for, rather than bought, a good hunt. Maybe it's because I and grew up hunting public, which was common in my day up north. OR, maybe it's because I'm just a purist... which I suspect is the heart of every true waterfowler. We want what's untamed, often untouched and out of reach for the masses. We live for those raw mornings when, while the rest of the world is asleep in their warm beds, we have paid the price with an exhausting trek, set up our spread in freezing water, then hunkered down in the blind, the salty taste of sweat, mingled with ice cold rain/snow our lips. This is the pay-off for that sweat... our best buddy at our side, our eyes to the skies, watching in silent anticipation and a familiar, yet invigorating sense of awe as the aerial show at dawn's first light begins.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide