Print Thread
Cabela's T.A.G.S. program #2806140 12/03/11 07:42 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Does anyone here have experience using Cabela's T.A.G.S. program?

http://www.cabelas.com/big-game-tags.shtml

It seems like a very useful tool, and something I might be interested in trying for myself....but I wanted to see if any of you guys have additional information on it (good or bad). Any info and/or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Cabela's T.A.G.S. program [Re: Eland Slayer] #2806540 12/03/11 10:37 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I do a few big game preference points each year and it does tie up a good chunk of cash. I could see it being useful in a year where I was in a bind on money and needed to keep my prefernce points building. Especially if it involved the draws that normally tie up a a grand or more each on the float.

But they are making money on that float. Look at the fees to Cabelas in the right column.
http://www.cabelas.com/assets/cms/img/tags/TAGS_2012.pdf

One would be a fool to let Cabelas apply for your Texas bighorn sheep lottery entry for a 65$ charge ($55 in Cabelas pocket) when you can mail a .44 cent letter with a $10 check to apply on your own. But if your applying for New Mexico Big Horn Sheep and don't have $3,160 to tie up, then $220 ($200 to Cabelas) might not seem so much) But then too how much interest x application time would you pay on $3,160 if you just borrowed it to do yourself.

I personally keep a spreadsheet with what hunts I apply for, what the float and fees are, deadlines, and how many years can be skipped without losing points. I have a fund set aside just for the license fee floats.

I will say this. The cabelas application is a good reference tool to give an idea of state fees and deadlines.

Re: Cabela's T.A.G.S. program [Re: Sniper John] #2813705 12/06/11 08:06 AM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I will say this. The cabelas application is a good reference tool to give an idea of state fees and deadlines.

This is what I use the Cabelas application for as well. It gives you all the dates, so all you have to do is apply by when the dates are. I know I can do all of my Colorado apps in less than 15 mins online. And for the 3 I apply for: Elk, Pronghorn, and Deer, I save $255 (Over paying Cabelas to do them for me). Wyoming is quick and painless online as well, save another $90. These amounts are strictly for pref points. If you still think it's less hassle to use Cabela's, give me a call and I'll do all of your apps for $20 a piece... grin

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I personally keep a spreadsheet with what hunts I apply for, what the float and fees are, deadlines, and how many years can be skipped without losing points. I have a fund set aside just for the license fee floats.

While not as technical as this, I have a very organized file system with this info. I also maintain a second bank account for license fees and hunting trips.

"I have too many guns," said no one, ever.
Re: Cabela's T.A.G.S. program [Re: Scooterb] #2813773 12/06/11 12:29 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
If you're ADHD or prone to forget, having a service like Cabelas or Garth Carter or USO make your applications for you is a good idea. But they are not infallable. About 4-5 years ago, Cabelas failed to get their entire bundle of Arizona elk applications in to Phoenix before the deadline, and the result was that, not only did their hunters lose out on the elk lottery, they also failed to receive a bonus point for that year, which was almost as bad. Cabelas appealed, saying the late submission was due to failure by the US Postal Service, but Arizona didn't budge, and there were many hundreds of angry hunters as a result(and probably a few lawsuits too).

I always do my own research and make some 30 apps a year. And I never wait till the last second like Cabelas did. In fact, several years ago, a lady with the aforementioned Arizona Game Dept called me and told me I'd left a blank in my mule deer app. I told her I had time to submit another, but she just filled in the blank for me over the phone.

Like reloading, researching game data and making your choices a fine way to enjoy our hunting sport during the off season. And if I fail to apply in a timely manner, it's MY own fault, not someone else's.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Cabela's T.A.G.S. program [Re: dawaba] #2814188 12/06/11 03:20 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Well said John and Dawaba. up

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide