Print Thread
Need help #2795533 11/30/11 02:36 AM
W
Wingshooter1 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
We got on a lease late this year and by late I mean the weekend before opening weekend. Great lease good deer. Dad actually shot a 10 pointer scored roughly around 135. We are really excited about it and firmly believe that there are more deer like that and we have seen some that are even bigger.

It is roughly 340 acres with a big draw that forms kind of a border and it has some nice "fingers" that run off of it. We have scouted and walked the place several times to get a feel for it and have found several game trails. We have a decent idea where the deer are and their movements. We put up two feeders and two stands set up with pens around them.

Here is our problem:
I know it has not been that long, but I figured that we would have more action at our feeders. One gets a little attention, but the other seems to not have anything going to it. We strongly feel that particular feeder will be where the best bucks are. How long do you think it would take for them to start hitting the feeders more? Is there anything that we can do to quicken the process? I know that we are getting a late start any extra info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is the best way to keep cows from pushing on the pens? Barbed wire??

Re: Need help [Re: Wingshooter1] #2795576 11/30/11 02:50 AM
A
ACKHNTR Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I make feeder pens out of barbed wire and t-posts. Three strands should be enough. Find a couple trees to tie the barbed wire to so you can get a tight pull and add some t- posts. Don't make it to tall. About 4 ft. Leave the bottom wire about 2ft off the ground. Does and yearlings like to go under. Scatter plenty corn on the outside of the pen for about a week so the timid deer don't have to enter the pen. If the place hasn't been hunted much in the past scatter it up and down the draw so they will frequent the area more. Hope that helps.

Re: Need help [Re: ACKHNTR] #2796020 11/30/11 04:49 AM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
right now they are hitting acorns and not touching th feeders at my place. I will have corn stalks growing soon untill the freeze that kills all the acorns. thn back to the feeders they go. If they want it they will jump in there. only takes a few days for them to find it.

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Need help [Re: caldwelldeerhunter] #2796828 11/30/11 03:22 PM
W
Wingshooter1 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
I thought that might be the case Caldwell. I think there is too many acorns around.

I would like to scatter some acorns around that lead up to the feeders, but the grass is pretty tall just about everywhere. Would they still find it? I guess that I will try it anyway. I will definitely throw some out around the pen as well.

Thanks for the info!!! I will take all that I can get.

Re: Need help [Re: Wingshooter1] #2798420 11/30/11 11:31 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Do you have acorns on the property? You dont need to buy a bag of acorns. They deer know the corn is there but would rather feed on something else. I would say the best thing to do is put a couple bags around the pen and all around the area. The deer do know it is there though I promise you.

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Need help [Re: caldwelldeerhunter] #2798433 11/30/11 11:35 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
only time will get them used to the "new" food source. good idea's above about spreading corn around so they don't have to get in the pen which will take them longer to do. find some trails they are frequenting with good cover (so cows don't get at it) and pour out generous amounts to get them used to it and craving more. JMO

[Linked Image]
Re: Need help [Re: BuckRage] #2800412 12/01/11 04:10 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
We use panel wire and t posts every 4 to 6 ft...won't help if
they jump it...but it's easy to work with, and you can carry it
with you if you loose your lease..DD

Re: Need help [Re: Wingshooter1] #2800491 12/01/11 04:40 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I hunted a place once for several years without using a feeder. I saw enough deer to make it worthwhile. I hung a feeder from a tree limb and in 2 years, never saw another buck in that spot. And saw considerably fewer deer period in that spot. Sometimes they work; sometimes they don't. There wasn't any livestock on this place so I used no fencing at all.

I hunted another place and had problem with cows so I just ran 4 strands of barbed wire in a rough circle around the feeder. I didn't use t-posts; I just nailed it to Mesquite trees.

Another place had hogs so I used t-posts and cattle panels. Every place is different.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Need help [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #2800534 12/01/11 04:56 PM
W
Wingshooter1 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
I meant just corn. Sorry, I have trouble multitasking lol.

Re: Need help [Re: Wingshooter1] #2800641 12/01/11 05:34 PM
R
redhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
well the barbwire didnt work for me, had tposts every 8 feet,hand strung though, i suggest the panels. If those cows are hungry enough,they can find a way. they worked the tposts until barbwire was loose enough that they could get in, dang cows.....

Re: Need help [Re: redhunter] #2800930 12/01/11 07:09 PM
L
longhorn3454 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
I wouldn't be to concerned about not having much traffic to the feeders right now. It usually only takes a day or two for them to find the feeders. Alot of areas across the state have gotten rain the last month or so and not to much cold weather. So alot of the natural foods are sprouting up or the acrons or dropping off the trees. The deer perfer the natural food sources over the feeders. they will stick close to cover and stay where they don't have to travel for food. What will be the real test is if you get a real hard freeze and the natural food dies. Then the deer will return to the feeders.

Also you are new to this property and are wanting to find all the info you can about it. But you said y'all have been walking all over it scouting around and stuff. Doing this during the season causes you to have more traffic and presence in your woods in alot of different areas that the deer notice. Your not just coming in one trail and sitting in one spot. So you might be over pressuring the area.

I would just sit back and hunt your stands. You have said the deer are there and it sounds like you have a real nice group of bucks in the area. Just hunt and wait till after the freeze and see if you don't start noticing more movement. Remember the less you can be in the woods doing other things than just hunting the better off you are.

Re: Need help [Re: longhorn3454] #2800960 12/01/11 07:19 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
You don't have to hunt feeders. Hunt trails, pinch points, etc if the deer aren't coming to your feeders

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide