Forums46
Topics544,044
Posts9,805,953
Members87,530
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Threecurl] #275975 12/13/07 10:01 PM
R
roadgoeson20 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Quote:

Jesus, some of the crap in this thread is one tinfoil hat away from conspiracy dorkdom.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275976 12/13/07 10:03 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I ain't talking about you, NorthTexasHunt, I'm talking about the oft-repeated assertion that somehow, some way, enrolling acreage in WRP and doing wetland habitat enhancement is a bane to all duck hunters. I'm also more than mildly amused by the dictatorial attitude that anyone who has an even vaguely different method of hunting is a scourge, a menace, a Barney. There are some people on this board who, it seems, would like to advance the modest proposal that we kill and eat those of means.

I already had this out in that other eight, nine page sumbitch from last week.

Last edited by Threecurl; 12/13/07 10:03 PM.

If brilliant men are roses then I'm just a field of daisies.
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275977 12/13/07 10:16 PM
F
fastliberator Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
I guess I am a little slow, but I have really gotten lost on this subject. I initially thought I might learn something, but looks like people have other things to discuss along with the original topic. JMO

Those of you who do not stand behind our millitary, please stand in front of it!!!
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: fastliberator] #275978 12/13/07 10:22 PM
N
NorthTexasHunt Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
It's real simple fastliberator, we haven't wandered off topic at all yet. You get what you "pay for" in any liesure endeavor you pursue.

It's really that simple.

Ken

Last edited by NorthTexasHunt; 12/13/07 10:24 PM.
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275979 12/13/07 10:24 PM
F
fastliberator Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Heck, I knew that. You either pay for it with cash, or with time and effort. Been taught that since I was a young'un.

Those of you who do not stand behind our millitary, please stand in front of it!!!
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: fastliberator] #275980 12/13/07 10:27 PM
N
NorthTexasHunt Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
fastliberator,

By the way, I really like your monicker: "Those of you who do not stand behind our millitay, please stand in front of it!!!"

AMEN - from here!

Ken

Last edited by NorthTexasHunt; 12/13/07 10:34 PM.
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Threecurl] #275981 12/14/07 01:03 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:

There are some people on this board who, it seems, would like to advance the modest proposal that we kill and eat those of means.

"Let them eat cake"

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275982 12/14/07 01:26 AM
Turtle Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Quote:

Threecurl,

Believe it or not we are having a real discussion here.

Take the time to view video footage from last year during the cut: "Duck Man".

Famous artists (The Duckmen) sing about the duck swirls - vortices of ducks coming in... How many actually get to hunt or even witness that occurance?

Ken

That camera man needs to be fired.

Last edited by Turtle; 12/14/07 01:27 AM.
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: ndhunter] #275983 12/14/07 01:44 AM
S
slipshot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Its funny how the deer hunters have done it for years. Lease/buy a place and built the feed/habitat to encurage deer to thrive but we as water fowlers don't like it when big buisness does the same thing for ducks/geese. Lots of high fence in south Texas with the same kind of lodge and hunting rights for those willing to pay the big bucks. Us old guys can remember when you could drive down the road and stop to ask for permision to hunt on a place and 9 times out of 10 it was granted. We all know those days are about gone so its public spots or high dollar spots. Its expensive to hunt if you consider all the equipment needed or wanted. Who hasn't ate a deer steak or duck that was higher then Prime Rib and lobster at a swank place. For some people its cost efective to hunt these "resorts" because the only hunt once or twice a year for what ever reason. If we all sat down and put a pencil to what we spend for our hunting it would cause most of us cry but thats what we love to do so its money well spent. Its all about were your priority is.......

Differance between a man and a boy is the price of his toys!!!!!!!!!

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275984 12/14/07 02:16 AM
C
Canard_Gris Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Ken, you and pintailman have a fabulous setup. I have never been there but your pictures look great.

So please do not take offense at what I am about to say.

The "Exclusive High Dollar" hunting leases will be the end of hunting in America.

Look at the state of Texas. Deer hunting has become a sport of the leased land. Duck hunting is fast becoming the same. And the lease scourge is spreading to states that used to have open hunting. States like North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Going are the days of freelancing. It is all about the lease and the $$$$ paid for the "prividege" of the hunt.

So what? Big deal? Right?

Think about the ballot box. If only the extremely wealthy will be able to hunt, do you think that the poor people in America who are being squeezed out of hunting will care whether you or any of the other rich people still have that right? You know the answer to that one. What is the biggest issue that the Democrats bring up every 4 years? Yessir, tax increases on the rich.

So, enjoy your prime land. But if more of rural Texas is taken advantage by the wealthy who can buy thousands of acres of land, that enjoyment of the finest land will surely come to an end. And I would bet that it will be sooner rather than later.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Canard_Gris] #275985 12/14/07 02:30 AM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Just a general question...why so much bickering because of 7-10 hunters decided to pony up and have a place to duck hunt..Thats their style and thats what they want to do..I really still do not see how 1000 acres in Fannin county is going to ruin duck hunting in Texas..I would be more pissed if I lived in that area and they turned it into a cattle ranch..Seems the owners have a plan to keep and attract wildlife..Google duck hunting clubs in Ark,Louisiana and Miss..I bet you find some that are more than Pintail...The exact argument came up in thre deer section monthe ago..Some on a big ranch was complaining that the small tracts around them were not practicing management and were pissed..I dont see Pintail whining about the small places around them not planting millett and building levees to retain waterfowl..

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275986 12/14/07 03:04 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:

Much of the contention between factions here is based in a disparity of understanding, and the inevitable monetization of hunting in a geographically prime region.

You may be an award winning author but your marketing instincts seem to be driving your choice of words by using the term “monetization” when “commercialization” would be a more accurate term for the exploitation that you claim is inevitable. The commercial exploitation of duck hunting may be inevitable, after all it was commercialized at least once before around the turn of the century with market hunting and ultimately the passage of the Migratory Bird Act, which made market hunting illegal.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275987 12/14/07 03:16 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:

Outfitters that spend mega-dollars opening key geographic migration gateways, benefit everyone.

There is a difference between restoring and maintaining habitat versus manipulating it for commercial exploitation. I doubt that altruism is the driving force behind the planning and development of most commercial waterfowl hunting operations, I would imagine that maximizing the return on investment is the primary focus. Claims that a commercial hunting operation benefits non paying customers if true, are more likely to be coincidental than intended. You claim to be opening migration gateways but the concern is that you are manipulating or changing migration gateways for commercial purposes and the benefit of a few. That seems to be at least one of the points of contention.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: ndhunter] #275988 12/14/07 03:16 AM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I was hoping commercialization would come back..Have a 2 guage "old english duck gun" that was passed down through out family...weighs over 150 lbs and has a 64 inch barrell..anybody have any shells for it let me know...

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: easton1025] #275989 12/14/07 03:37 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Nothing wrong with commercialization after all look what it has done for Christmas. The only issue I have with this thread is the use of marketing spin to rationalize the commercial exploitation of duck hunting. It is not necessary or appreciated.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: ndhunter] #275990 12/14/07 03:49 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You guys kill me. Dang peanut gallery. Let’s blame pintail for all our problems. Btw, you do not like this thread just click on bye, no charge

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275991 12/14/07 03:55 AM
B
birddog14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Quote:

“Economies of Scale” dictate that a patent attorney, business owner, or corporate executive who’s personal time is worth $500/hr+ is not about to spend 100 hours scouting around in the sticks, expending $50,000 worth of time, just to take their kids out to an unsafe place overrun by public hunters overshooting each other in public places.

If their personal time is worth $500 an hour, do they sleep or pay someone to sleep for them?

green is good
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: easton1025] #275992 12/14/07 03:55 AM
S
sig1921 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

I was hoping commercialization would come back..Have a 2 guage "old english duck gun" that was passed down through out family...weighs over 150 lbs and has a 64 inch barrell..anybody have any shells for it let me know...

no shells, but might know a midget...err i mean little person

It's not skybusting, if you make the shot.
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Guy] #275993 12/14/07 12:34 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:

You guys kill me. Dang peanut gallery. Let’s blame pintail for all our problems. Btw, you do not like this thread just click on bye, no charge

Sorry about that. Don't want to piss off pintail before you have had a chance to pump him for a free hunt.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: ndhunter] #275994 12/14/07 12:40 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
NorthTexasHunt and or Pintail, just have a couple questions for you guys. Seeing how the land is on a WRP easement,was DU or Delta Waterfowl part of building the water control system? I think we will see more of these kind of places in Texas, other states have had them for years, maybe not as fancy, but they are there.

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: ndhunter] #275995 12/14/07 12:57 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry about that. Don't want to piss off pintail before you have had a chance to pump him for a free hunt.

Bunch a whiners

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Guy] #275996 12/14/07 01:15 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I do not blame anybody for having a nice place, I do not make fun of people that use them. I do not frown on people that use federal dollars to make there property better. I do not think pintail farms did anything immoral.
Pretty smart bought some old land fixed it up with federal money, sell it make some money.

Its a business.

I asked him to elaborate on the gov coming at them with charges of destroying natural habitat.

I mean even if I had the money I would not hunt a place like that, but I am more of a guy that likes the quiet, and being with select folks.

EIther eay if I am being thrown on the band wagon saying it is wrong to use WRP money kick me back off of it.

Guy I hope that guy got his "warning" as well.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Team Hillbilly] #275997 12/14/07 01:24 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Quote:

NorthTexasHunt and or Pintail, just have a couple questions for you guys. Seeing how the land is on a WRP easement,was DU or Delta Waterfowl part of building the water control system? I think we will see more of these kind of places in Texas, other states have had them for years, maybe not as fancy, but they are there.

I don't know if DU had anything to do with Pintail Farms' wetland projects, but DU does have a program for enhancing private and public land habitat in Texas. You can read information on the program HERE and watch a video on it HERE.

Like many Major Sponsors in Texas, I dedicated about 80% of my dollars to the Texas CARE program so that my money is used to restore wetlands right here at home. Texas DU has an extremely loyal home crowd that likes to ensure their money works to help Texas. There is a gentleman here in Texas who is concerned about the steep decline in pintail numbers on the coast and has just set up a trust that will give DU $100,000 per year in perpetuity for pintail research.

On a broader note, there's no such thing as a DU-only project. At no point on any project does DU ever go it alone. That would be a horrible waste of resources. DU leverages their own dollars with those from federal and state agencies, private foundations, individual donors and other conservation groups. For every dollar that Ducks Unlimited spends on a project, there can be as much as $10 in matching grants from other sources.

Last edited by Threecurl; 12/14/07 01:50 PM.

If brilliant men are roses then I'm just a field of daisies.
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: ducknbass] #275998 12/14/07 01:34 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

I do not blame anybody for having a nice place, I do not make fun of people that use them. I do not frown on people that use federal dollars to make there property better. I do not think pintail farms did anything immoral.
Pretty smart bought some old land fixed it up with federal money, sell it make some money.

Its a business.

I asked him to elaborate on the gov coming at them with charges of destroying natural habitat.

I mean even if I had the money I would not hunt a place like that, but I am more of a guy that likes the quiet, and being with select folks.

EIther eay if I am being thrown on the band wagon saying it is wrong to use WRP money kick me back off of it.

Guy I hope that guy got his "warning" as well.

Explain the Federal money to make things better ??? Won't you think the WRP work would help us all ??? I've got a place in the same area to hunt, could the money they spend at Pintails not help my place ??? Doesn't it help with the ducks ???

Nobodys trying to throw you under the bus, just trying to collect information, could be good for all of us down the road. See we can't high fence ducks, not yet anyways

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Guy] #275999 12/14/07 01:37 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bunch a whiners

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I take it all back.

There now all better?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide