Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,995
Posts9,731,556
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Need some advice from you seasoned duck hunters (its long winded) #2746870 11/13/11 04:08 AM
B
BigJake Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
My duck hunts have consisted of two hunts a customer has taken me to on private water, and needless to say I got the bug. Now I'm trying to figure out this public thing, and its a lot more difficult than going and sitting in a nice big permanent blind. I found out my deer lease got burnt up this week, so I decided to devote this season to figuring out how to kill ducks on public water. I went and scouted Lake X up north of the metroplex today and found a TON of birds; the problem is, I just cant figure out how to set up. I've got the equipment, but no boat, so this is a walk-in deal.

The first place I liked was right off the highway with flocks of ducks flying over by the hundreds, but not landing anywhere i have found yet. Do I put my spread out right there off the "beach", lay in the sand, and hope they veer 80 yards off their path to land in the decoys, or do I need to find where they are naturally heading to feed, roost, or whatever? Also, how close is too close to set up to the highway?

The next place with ducks was about a 3 mile walk from the access point, and unfortunately close to a different highway by the time i got to water after the long hike. There were easily 50-100 birds roosting in the dead trees out there, which took off as soon as they saw us, from surprisingly far away. Again though, I'm worried about the distance from the road (I'd guess 200-300 yards), and the lack of cover.

So, which group should i concentrate on, the ones on the move or the ones sitting still? Or should I keep scouting for birds actually landing in the water? What do I do about concealment with such low water? And, how far do i need to be from roads/houses/structures etc to be legal w/ the APH permit?

Sorry this is so long, but i dont have anyone to ask these questions to. I know that yall can help me though; any input or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

Re: Need some advice from you seasoned duck hunters (its long winded) [Re: BigJake] #2746973 11/13/11 05:23 AM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
When I scout I am looking for spots where the birds are sitting. If the area has dead snags just use camo net around you next to a snag.

Re: Need some advice from you seasoned duck hunters (its long winded) [Re: Rob Robertson] #2747064 11/13/11 10:44 AM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I to look for ducks on the water, sometimes those flyers will commit to seeks with some good calling but often times not.

Walking in is often Tuff, get a beaversled to pull your equipment, a good backpack to put shells & other gear in, and start hiking.

There is a state law on hunting near a road, 100yds maybe.. Check the net for current law!!

The sucks love timber but can be hard to hunt due to inconsistantcy of their flight pattern. Hunt the timber line if you can, it makes for good cover and travel corridor.

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Need some advice from you seasoned duck hunters (its long winded) [Re: Cody Malone] #2750350 11/14/11 02:44 PM
B
BigJake Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Thanks for the advice guys. After another day of scouting, I found where they are feeding. Going to get after 'em next week!

Re: Need some advice from you seasoned duck hunters (its long winded) [Re: BigJake] #2750409 11/14/11 03:02 PM
T
TBK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Plan for changing conditions. Unless you are a seasoned vet that can use experience to guide your setup, expect the first several hunts to not work out like you think in your head. Be ready to make adjustments and move if needed. The first part of the equation is finding where they want to be then getting to them. once you'd done that, it's fine tuning and tweaking that puts them in the blocks.

Re: Need some advice from you seasoned duck hunters (its long winded) [Re: TBK] #2750465 11/14/11 03:15 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
To be honest the fun part is trying to figure the devil birds out. you will find your way after a whole lot of try this and try that and sombuck that did't work so maybe this will. Get a coffee can and set it in your barn. Throw all the one dollar bills you got in your walet in it every day of the off season. Don't count it just throw the money in and for Pete's sake don't tell your wife about it.

Now when you hear the birds are down pick a reputable guide. there are several on here. Jeff out west, JJ abve Dallas ect. Spend the money and go on at least one barrel burner of a hunt. Public can be good but it is very crowded sometimes.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide