Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,579
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions #2736002 11/09/11 08:04 PM
H
Hooligan Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
First year I'm gonna be in charge of the whole meal. Got the grandparents and everyone coming into town. Got the bird recipe figured out but need some ideas on sides and what not. What are some of everyone's favorites?

doing a rotiserre turkey with a citrus lavendar brine
burbon pecan pie on the green egg
Hawaiian sweet rolls

maybe greens?
some type of sweet potato?
I'm at a loss for what else to cook. Any suggestions would help hugely

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: Hooligan] #2736012 11/09/11 08:07 PM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Just make sure you brine that Turkey!

We always have the usual:

green bean casarole, stuffing, stuffed jalapeneo apps, fruit salad

Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: RobertY] #2736017 11/09/11 08:08 PM
H
Hooligan Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I'm gonna steal my dad's stuffing recipe and I think stuffed mushrooms for apps

fruit salad is a good idea though!

is 2 days brining good enough?

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: Hooligan] #2736073 11/09/11 08:20 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I always make mashed sweet potatoes. I don't have an exact recipe, but here is how I make them. Wash and bake sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 until for tender. Take out and let cool.

Fry up some bacon until crispy, take out and cool. Add chopped onion, garlic, and some thyme to bacon grease and cook until onions are tender. I usually add the garlic close to the end so it doesn't burn. Then toss in the skinned sweet potatoes. Mash up with butter, some buttermilk, and a bit of either whole milk. half and half, or heavy cream. Plenty of salt and pepper to taste. Add the bacon back in. Much better than the standard sweet potato baby food with mashmellows.

Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: Hooligan] #2736076 11/09/11 08:20 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Hooligan
I'm gonna steal my dad's stuffing recipe and I think stuffed mushrooms for apps

fruit salad is a good idea though!

is 2 days brining good enough?

2 days is plenty. 1 day is enough.

Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: Justin T] #2737007 11/10/11 12:45 AM
B
bwk1975 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
We always have mashed taters with turkey gravy, green bean casserole, white rolls, corn, brocolli and rice casserole. And a lot of other stuff, but i only eat what i listed so i don't really know what else we have.

Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: bwk1975] #2737164 11/10/11 01:22 AM
C
coonie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
what do you use to put your turkey in while brining?

Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: coonie] #2737467 11/10/11 02:04 AM
H
Hooligan Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I got a giant stock pot I usually use, or a trash bag, brining bag any of that good stuff. I use salt, sugar, rind from a lemon and an orange, lavender, and a couple random things to get it nice and juicy. Baste with herb butter normally, not sure if I'll do that this time. Never used a rotisserie before so I don't know if it needs it.

Gonna try Justin T's sweet potato recipe this weekend, it sounds good.

some brussel sprouts with lemon, if I could only remember the recipes from the restaurant I used to work at...

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: Hooligan] #2737784 11/10/11 02:49 AM
C
coonie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
thanks-the sweet potato recipe does sound like a good one. i do one very similar but use Tony's in place of salt and pepper

Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: coonie] #2738907 11/10/11 02:02 PM
M
mark canfield Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I got tried of the sweet potatoes and switched to butternut squash.I skin it ,cut it up into small chunks put into large bowl microwave untill tender,then add butter and a little milk,salt and pepper and you are ready to go. Also dropped the brocolli and rice cassaroll this year going with my mother in laws dirty rice

Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: mark canfield] #2739821 11/10/11 05:26 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
You can also used one of those construction type water coolers to brine a turkey if you have one.

Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: Justin T] #2742093 11/11/11 12:02 PM
T
Texpppr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
You need a ham to go with that bird...

Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: Justin T] #2742278 11/11/11 01:53 PM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Justin T
You can also used one of those construction type water coolers to brine a turkey if you have one.

*ding ding ding*

Those are best, IMO.

Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: RobertY] #2752553 11/15/11 01:33 AM
H
HJHAWK Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
I have been in charge of turkey day for the past few years with my family and here are some of my thanksgiving/holiday desert recipes and a great ham one too:

Dried Fruit Cookies

Ingredients
1/2 pound dried figs
1/4 pound raisins
2 ounces candied cherries, coarsely chopped
2 ounces dried apricots, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 ounces chopped pecans
Kosher salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 extra-large egg
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
Snip off the hard stems of the figs with scissors or a small knife and coarsely chop the figs. In a medium bowl, combine the figs, raisins, cherries, apricots, honey, sherry, lemon juice, pecans, and a pinch of salt. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit overnight at room temperature.In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, cloves, superfine sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the egg and mix until incorporated. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt just until combined. Don't overmix! Add the fruits and nuts, including any liquid in the bowl. Divide the dough in half and place each half on the long edge of a 12 by 18-inch piece of parchment or waxed paper. Roll each half into a log, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4-inch thick, making an 18-inch-long roll. Refrigerate the dough for several hours, or until firm. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. With a small, sharp knife, cut the logs into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place the slices 1/2-inch apart on ungreased sheet pans and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly golden.

Orange Baked Ham

Ingredients
1 (14 to 16-pound) fully cooked, spiral-cut smoked ham on the bone
6 garlic cloves
8 1/2 ounces orange marmalade
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 orange, zested
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the ham in a heavy roasting pan. Mince the garlic in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the marmalade, mustard, brown sugar, orange zest, and orange juice and process until smooth. Pour the glaze over the ham and bake for 1 hour, until the ham is fully heated and the glaze is well browned. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Ingredients
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
2 cups pecan halves
3 large eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons good-quality bourbon
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cover bottom of pie crust with pecans. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and melted butter. Add the corn syrup, sugar, bourbon and the chopped chocolate. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Pour mixture into the pie shell over the pecans and place on a heavy-duty cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for an additional 25 minutes or until pie is set. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.

Pumpkin Rum Pie

Ingredients
1 (9-inch) premade pie shell
1 (15-ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin puree
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons dark rum
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup Praline Pecans, recipe follows
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Partially bake the pie shell, according to the package directions. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, whisk the pumpkin puree, eggs, brown sugar, melted butter, 1 1/2 cups of the heavy cream, sour cream, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, salt, dark rum, and vanilla. Pour into the shell. Bake for 10 minutes, and then reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F. Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate until ready to serve. With the whisk attachment of an electric mixer, whip the remaining cup of heavy cream on high speed until the cream starts to froth. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and whip on high until the cream stands in peaks. Either spoon or pipe the whipped cream around the edges of the pie and garnish with Praline Pecans.

Praline Pecans:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
In a small skillet melt the butter and sugar over medium heat. Add the pecans, stirring until bubbly; about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour onto aluminum foil. When the pecans are cool, crumble into small pieces and sprinkle the topping on top of the whipped cream.

**HJHAWK**
Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: HJHAWK] #2752574 11/15/11 01:37 AM
H
HJHAWK Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Oh and here is a great recipe for potatoes...for a change up from sweet potatoe casserole...(you can add squash, or and other root vegtable to the mix too or substitute...treat the root veggies like the sweet potatoes)

Ingredients
1 lb potatoes for roasting (I usually use reds) shopping list
1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
2 cloves garlic shopping list
1 tsp red chili flakes shopping list
kosher salt and pepper shopping list

Directions
Preheat oven to 500F.
Cut potatoes into equal-sized chunks, but not too small. They don't have to be perfect but you want to try to get them to cook fairly evenly. Place the potatoes in a pot and cover in boiling water. Bring water to a boil over high heat, and then cook for a few minutes until potatoes are partially done. Don't over-do it, though. Meanwhile, put the olive oil, minced garlic, and chili flakes in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave on high for about 30-40 seconds, until you can smell the garlic and hear it sizzle. Put the potatoes in a bowl and toss in the hot oil. Then put it all in a roasting pan, making sure that the potatoes fit in one layer. Put the pan with the potatoes in the oven and roast for 45 minutes to an hour. It is really hot, but they'll turn out GREAT. When they come out of the oven, toss with as much kosher salt as you like.

**HJHAWK**
Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: HJHAWK] #2752771 11/15/11 02:12 AM
O
Old whisker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Since you gonna be buying that dark rum for a pumpkin pie, try serving the ice cream with a 2 TBSP of Myers rum poored over it. You will get hooked!

Experience is what you get, when you did not get what you wanted.......
Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: Old whisker] #2752877 11/15/11 02:30 AM
H
HJHAWK Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
well i dont make everyting i posted every year...my family kinda divides up the dishes, those are just my recipes i use...but i will have to try that...thanx

**HJHAWK**
Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: HJHAWK] #2760152 11/17/11 02:15 AM
G
GO REBS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I made some chicken picatta for dinner tonight and it got me to thinking.
Brine a couple boneles turkey breast and grill them. 3/4" slices with a picatta sauce over the top.

GO REBS

GO REBS
Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: Texpppr] #2760454 11/17/11 03:18 AM
H
Hooligan Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Texpppr

Only gonna have about 5 people so with appetizers and sides no need for ham with an 18+ # bird.

Tx*Gurl thanks for the ideas I might try out that pumpkin pie. I do a bourbon pecan pie and it's really good. And I can make a caramel sauce for the pumpkin with meyers/pomegranate juice

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: Hooligan] #2761443 11/17/11 03:25 PM
H
HJHAWK Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted By: Hooligan
Originally Posted By: Texpppr

Only gonna have about 5 people so with appetizers and sides no need for ham with an 18+ # bird.

Tx*Gurl thanks for the ideas I might try out that pumpkin pie. I do a bourbon pecan pie and it's really good. And I can make a caramel sauce for the pumpkin with meyers/pomegranate juice

a caramel sauce with meyers/pomegranate? that sounds interesting and yummy!

**HJHAWK**
Re: first year in charge of turkey day, need some suggestions [Re: HJHAWK] #2761704 11/17/11 04:47 PM
H
Hooligan Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
yeah you can make sauces out of anything. Caramel sauce is easy enough to make on its own. substitute some of the liquid with a nice dark rum. After you have your caramel and it is a little thicker than you'd like it slowly stir in pomegranate juice/extract or raspberry or whatever you like. I just really like the tartness of pomegranate with the sweetness of the carmel and rum. Candied ginger is the secret ingredient but you add that at the beginning so that it can break down.

One of the places I used to work would use tea water instead of regular so you could get hints of mint or hibiscus or whatever tea you were using in the sauce or chocolate and call it "infused"

Last edited by Hooligan; 11/17/11 04:49 PM.

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide