Print Thread
electric shock #2701034 10/28/11 04:07 PM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
What effect would electric shock have on a hog?

Imagine wire mesh on the ground. Enough to cover 10'x10' square area or bigger under a feeder.

You then pop on a generator to stun the hogs, and begin to erraticate them.

Pic from 6.8HogHunter

Last edited by Hopedale; 10/28/11 04:10 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: electric shock [Re: Hopedale] #2701204 10/28/11 05:04 PM
J
jshaw2025 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
It would have to be a mighty strong charge, but very nice concept!

Re: electric shock [Re: jshaw2025] #2701278 10/28/11 05:36 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
If you had mesh ON the ground you would trip the breaker as soon as you sent power to it-especially with AC power, (remember that electricity's soul purpose in life is to find the quickest way to ground). A hand crank or digital DC generator would work & most of them peak out at 1,000 test volts unless you spend the money on a 5,000v model. Even then I don't think it would work that well on the ground. The only way around that would be for the mesh to be just off of the ground & isolated, (like an electric fence), but the pigs would have to step through it and would end up being a mess I think. I hear what you're saying though, but if you really want to erraticate them you should start by fencing your feeder off with hog panel. Then hunt, trap, shoot as many as possible & keep the pressure on them year round. You're never going to get rid of all of them but you can still put a good dent in them.

Re: electric shock [Re: skinnerback] #2701320 10/28/11 05:52 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
it woudlnt work...you would need a really really big generator... pushing a few hundred amps..

Now if you could tap into the highlines somehow and the close the switch... u would have fried hog errywhere.

O, and you would need ur wire up off the ground... and if you dont have enough charge, it may only fry one hog (quickest route to ground)... AKA the unlucky hog.

Re: electric shock [Re: Closed Traverse] #2701328 10/28/11 05:57 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Now if you could tap into the highlines somehow and the close the switch... u would have fried hog errywhere

LMAO!!! Chicharrones!!

Re: electric shock [Re: skinnerback] #2703515 10/29/11 03:02 PM
H
Hopedale Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Ok, then what could you put between the ground and the wire, so the charge says flowing through the wire?

What got me started on this was the American Hoggers show. Seems like a whole lot of work and effort for 1 hog.

Seems to me, if you were in the hog clearing business, you'd look for the best way to knock several hogs down at once.

Last edited by Hopedale; 10/29/11 03:03 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: electric shock [Re: Hopedale] #2703663 10/29/11 04:49 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Hopedale
Ok, then what could you put between the ground and the wire, so the charge says flowing through the wire?

What got me started on this was the American Hoggers show. Seems like a whole lot of work and effort for 1 hog.

Seems to me, if you were in the hog clearing business, you'd look for the best way to knock several hogs down at once.

You could use wood or anything non conductive. If you use metal stakes or something you would need isolators like what you'd find on an electric fence. If you're just planning on shocking them to scare them away the small DC generators would do that, (all voltage no amperage). If you were planning on enough of a jolt to actually stun them or knock them out/down then you're going to need some amperage. I don't think there's really a realistic way of doing that out there at the ranch. I give you this advice because I am an electrical inspector & spent years as an electrician, I also hold a second job working for a hog removal business. Everyone has different methods & such when it comes to dogs, etc. We run dogs, traps, snares, spot & stalk with night vision, pretty much every way to kill them except hitting them with my truck....but thinking about building a bumper for that too lol! With the dogs though, it can be alot of work....especially if you don't have good dogs. Luckily we have good dogs & will catch one after another, that's fun but I also enjoy popping them with my rifle using night vision. We actually just got a brand new Crosman 357 caliber high power air rifle with night vision scope in yesterday. Supposed to sound about like a 22 rimfire, can't wait to try it out!

Re: electric shock [Re: Hopedale] #2712067 11/01/11 08:48 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
What effect would electric shock have on a hog?
Imagine wire mesh on the ground. Enough to cover 10'x10' square area or bigger under a feeder.
You then pop on a generator to stun the hogs, and begin to erraticate them.

Forget it! the necessary wiring alone would cost $hundreds!
Have you priced copper (wiring) lately?

Way Way Way cheaper and more effective to buy about 6 cattle panels and t-post them into a heart-shaped trap, around the feeder. THEN blast away.

Re: electric shock [Re: skinnerback] #2712254 11/01/11 09:29 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

You could use wood or anything non conductive. If you use metal stakes or something you would need isolators like what you'd find on an electric fence. If you're just planning on shocking them to scare them away the small DC generators would do that, (all voltage no amperage). If you were planning on enough of a jolt to actually stun them or knock them out/down then you're going to need some amperage. I don't think there's really a realistic way of doing that out there at the ranch. I give you this advice because I am an electrical inspector & spent years as an electrician, I also hold a second job working for a hog removal business. Everyone has different methods & such when it comes to dogs, etc. We run dogs, traps, snares, spot & stalk with night vision, pretty much every way to kill them except hitting them with my truck....but thinking about building a bumper for that too lol! With the dogs though, it can be alot of work....especially if you don't have good dogs. Luckily we have good dogs & will catch one after another, that's fun but I also enjoy popping them with my rifle using night vision. We actually just got a brand new Crosman 357 caliber high power air rifle with night vision scope in yesterday. Supposed to sound about like a 22 rimfire, can't wait to try it out!

Your an electrician and you think wood will work as an insulator??

wonder why they put those glass insulators on those wooden electric line poles... they must not know that wood will work as an insulator. happy3 rock_on

Re: electric shock [Re: Closed Traverse] #2712285 11/01/11 09:37 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Just take a few containers of tannerite and tape them to a bag of ballbearings... hang it from a tpost just high enough to were they cant get it and when they all pile under it...shoot it and enjoy...no more piggys

Re: electric shock [Re: Closed Traverse] #2712312 11/01/11 09:46 PM
C
casterbuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
How about a rubber mat laying below the feeder with wire mesh on top should work nicely although it wouldn't work until they were half way on and half way off the mat making the pigs the path to ground...

or even better...how about digging a shallow pool approximately 2" to 4" deep line it with a rubber liner... place a tub in the middle with corn when the pigs enter the pool charge the water it wouldn't get them until they stood half way in and half way out of the pool making them the path to ground...

Last edited by casterbuster; 11/01/11 09:47 PM.

Seek first to understand... before trying to be understood
Re: electric shock [Re: casterbuster] #2712335 11/01/11 09:51 PM
C
casterbuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I thought a make shift claymore would work better... Think One Gallon coffee can full of Tannerite or some other binary exploding target with 1/4" ball bearings lining the can placed under the feeder... One shot to coffee can = lots of dead pigs

Seek first to understand... before trying to be understood
Re: electric shock [Re: Closed Traverse] #2712810 11/02/11 12:07 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Brandon A

Your an electrician and you think wood will work as an insulator??

wonder why they put those glass insulators on those wooden electric line poles... they must not know that wood will work as an insulator. happy3 rock_on

Ok smartarse, to start with wood is non conductive as long as it's not wet. That's why they put wooden handles on the doors of motor control centers & switchgears that you're supposed to have one hand on while opening or closing breakers...that's why we keep a wooden pole handy in electrical rooms just in case we have to remove someone that's being electrocuted....in case you didn't know that. I'm not giving him advice on how to build a sub station, we're talking about the possibilty of shocking pigs under a feeder. By the way, those "glass insulators" are not glass, they are ceramic & they are also called "isolators", not insulators...there's a difference. Anyway, what I was getting at is yes WOOD would work for an application like this one & so would a number of other materials....and YES, I am an electrician.

Re: electric shock [Re: skinnerback] #2714702 11/02/11 04:36 PM
J
jshaw2025 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
FWIW, I just googled "ceramic isolator" and it said "Did you mean: 'Ceramic Insulator?'"

Re: electric shock [Re: jshaw2025] #2714948 11/02/11 06:11 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: jshaw2025
FWIW, I just googled "ceramic isolator" and it said "Did you mean: 'Ceramic Insulator?'"

Yes, some will even say that on the box. Kind of a long story, maybe was being too technical. You can call them insulators, alot of people do there's nothing wrong with that.

Re: electric shock [Re: skinnerback] #2714983 11/02/11 06:27 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Yes, some will even say that on the box. Kind of a long story, maybe was being too technical. You can call them insulators, alot of people do there's nothing wrong with that.

About everyone I have ever talked to in the electrical industry calls them insulators... and yes they are ceramic, but 99% of the time people just say glass... now a lot of them are porcelain and polymer is becoming ever so popular... and laying an electric line on a piece of wood would ground it out.. it is not good enough of an insulator... u can't convince me otherwise.

sure u can use a piece of wood to push someone that is being shocked, but u cant use it as an inslator for much else... if you could, I wouldnt buy those lil plastic deals for my eletric wire around the house, I would just tack it right to the post...

Re: electric shock [Re: Closed Traverse] #2715148 11/02/11 07:30 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Brandon A

About everyone I have ever talked to in the electrical industry calls them insulators... and yes they are ceramic, but 99% of the time people just say glass... now a lot of them are porcelain and polymer is becoming ever so popular... and laying an electric line on a piece of wood would ground it out.. it is not good enough of an insulator... u can't convince me otherwise.

sure u can use a piece of wood to push someone that is being shocked, but u cant use it as an inslator for much else... if you could, I wouldnt buy those lil plastic deals for my eletric wire around the house, I would just tack it right to the post...

If I was at home I would post a video presentation on the use of wood for an application like this one, just to prove my point. But I'm not, & I'm not gonna argue about it anymore. Good luck with anything you might try & most importantly be careful.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide