Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters #2686459 10/23/11 10:31 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker

...........Seent this on another forum and thought I'd post it here for all you public huntin topwaters.

Memorize these rules. There will be a test.

"In many respects, hunter etiquette can make or break the quality of shooting on public areas. If all hunters would observe the following rules, ducks would work in tighter, shots would be closer, and the pleasures of this sport would be more widely shared by all. Everything you learned in kindergarten about getting along with others applies in the duck blind, too.

1. Don’t encroach on someone else’s spot. If they got there first, go find another hole.

2. Quit calling when ducks are working another hunter’s spread. If he has their attention, let him have them.

3. Don’t be a sky-buster. Avoid taking shots that are at marginal range. Sky-busting is unsporting, and it results in too many cripples that aren’t recovered.

4. Don’t block boat ramps or parking areas any longer than necessary. Be ready to launch with all your gear loaded in, plug installed and straps undone when it’s your turn to launch.

5. Be respectful of hunters in boats with less horsepower than you have. When passing another boat, ease around it with as little wake as possible. Don’t shine a spotlight in another boat driver’s eyes.

6. Don’t violate a friend’s trust. If he takes you to a secret spot on a public area, don’t go back there without his knowledge or permission. And never take others there.

7. Remember that the Golden Rule certainly applies to hunting on public areas. In all regards, treat others as you would like to be treated. Such respectful behavior will translate into better hunting and greater pleasures for all who must share an area."

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #2686516 10/23/11 11:07 PM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
6. Don’t violate a friend’s trust. If he takes you to a secret spot on a public area, don’t go back there without his knowledge or permission. And never take others there.

Homeyfucious say: learn it...know it...live it yingyang

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Homey da Clown] #2686599 10/23/11 11:47 PM
D
duckman10 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Very well stated.

Dry Creek Outfitters - North Texas Duck, Dove, Turkey and Pig Hunts!

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Widgeons shall now be known as democrats. Living off the hard work of others.

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #2686618 10/24/11 12:00 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 1 Year Wonder

...........Seent this on another forum and thought I'd post it here for all you public huntin topwaters.

"In many respects, hunter etiquette can make or break the quality of shooting on public areas. If all hunters would observe the following rules, ducks would work in tighter, shots would be closer, and the pleasures of this sport would be more widely shared by all. Everything you learned in kindergarten about getting along with others applies in the duck blind, too.

1. Don’t encroach on someone else’s spot. If they got there first, go find another hole.

2. Quit calling when ducks are working another hunter’s spread. If he has their attention, let him have them.

3. Don’t be a sky-buster. Avoid taking shots that are at marginal range. Sky-busting is unsporting, and it results in too many cripples that aren’t recovered.

4. Don’t block boat ramps or parking areas any longer than necessary. Be ready to launch with all your gear loaded in, plug installed and straps undone when it’s your turn to launch.

5. Be respectful of hunters in boats with less horsepower than you have. When passing another boat, ease around it with as little wake as possible. Don’t shine a spotlight in another boat driver’s eyes.

7. Remember that the Golden Rule certainly applies to hunting on public areas. In all regards, treat others as you would like to be treated. Such respectful behavior will translate into better hunting and greater pleasures for all who must share an area."

I agree with them all, especially #2. Amazing how some think they are talented by blowing their kazoo and keeping birds working when the birds were about to commit to another group’s spread. I have seen some post that is their strategy, they try to keep birds from landing in other’s spread by flaring them with their kazoo.....hammer

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Guy] #2686948 10/24/11 01:51 AM
W
Water Turkey2 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
and don't blab about the spot of any internet Barneys and others

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Guy] #2686995 10/24/11 02:07 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Great advice for the new guy, but remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Expect the barney. Or topwater as the much older east texas term wonder uses. Figure them into your scouting. If it was easy to get there and everyone can see what you see, the barney saw it too. Just because it is ettiquette, don't expect everyone will follow it. There are those who don't know better and those that don't care both out there. If your hunting 100 yards from the easy access point, the barney will come sure as the wind change with a front. Plan for it. Just because you set up there at 3 am when the wind was at your back, there is nothing you can do to stop the wind direction if it changes at 7 am. Same if your in a spot barney frequents. Either plan for barney in advance or have a change in plan ready if barney shows up. Just like you would for a wind change.

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Sniper John] #2687050 10/24/11 02:21 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
I dont like rules

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Sniper John] #2687055 10/24/11 02:22 AM
B
bhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Great advice for the new guy, but remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Expect the barney. Or topwater as the much older east texas term wonder uses. Figure them into your scouting. If it was easy to get there and everyone can see what you see, the barney saw it too. Just because it is ettiquette, don't expect everyone will follow it. There are those who don't know better and those that don't care both out there. If your hunting 100 yards from the easy access point, the barney will come sure as the wind change with a front. Plan for it. Just because you set up there at 3 am when the wind was at your back, there is nothing you can do to stop the wind direction if it changes at 7 am. Same if your in a spot barney frequents. Either plan for barney in advance or have a change in plan ready if barney shows up. Just like you would for a wind change.

Best advice ever.....

ROY

B.O.H.I.C.A.

"BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!!"

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

http://www.parkerpwr.com/
Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Sniper John] #2687099 10/24/11 02:34 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Or topwater as the much older east texas term wonder uses.

What??? I thought wonder invented that term???

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Guy] #2687105 10/24/11 02:37 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
What about Piles-O-Mallards, did he not invent that either???

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Guy] #2687276 10/24/11 03:31 AM
1 Year Wonder Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Guy
What about Piles-O-Mallards, did he not invent that either???

.......Naw, I didn't invent "Topwater", I just made it famous.

But "Piles-O-Mallards", now that one's all mine banana

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #2687340 10/24/11 04:12 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Oh please...., you never made that term famous. It is actually more related to fishing, but a houston outdoors writer in an old article talked about it as a hunting term used when they were young. I heard several older guys in SW arkansas use it around me long ago. People before internet access. I was purposely fishing for gar below lake nimrod while others were fishing for sand bass. They called me a topwater. Funny is I caught a world line class and state record that day and turned a few of those old guys into topwaters too when they saw how much fun I was having while they caught nothing. Oddly Nimrod, once "the mighty hunter" is another one that became to be used as a derogatory term for hunters thanks to loony toons. Topwater was used on other states online hunting forums I know as long ago as 1994 and before I ever saw you use it. Barney comes from Barney Rubble with is slang from old time London meaning trouble. The cartoon, and the dinosaur came later. Even surfers used that term for newbie surfers before we did for hunters. People have made use of all three of those names as a inexperienced or dimwit outdoorsmen long before any of us did.

"The worms we brought along were to catch 'topwaters' with. Topwaters are a minnow-like fish from two to three inches long, shaped like toy alligator-gar, that stay on top of the water. People used to call a no-count boy a 'topwater' - I guess because he'd never get down to anything."

Written by Solomon Alexander Wright in My Rambles as an East Texas Cowboy, Hunter, Fisherman and Tie-Cutter. Relating to a fishing trip on Cypress Creek around 1870.

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Sniper John] #2687367 10/24/11 04:27 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Wow...impressive lesson

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: TXPride] #2687370 10/24/11 04:30 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
and if everyone followed those rules, public hunting wouldn't be near as fun muyloco

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: TXPride] #2687519 10/24/11 11:18 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
grill

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #2688274 10/24/11 04:41 PM
N
No-Tox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N

Take your rules and shove them.....

If you can't lick your own, you can't sit on the dog stand!
Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: No-Tox] #2688288 10/24/11 04:44 PM
K
Kenny Powers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Im with no-tox.

Guns dont kill people.....bullets do.
Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Kenny Powers] #2688483 10/24/11 05:44 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Good rules. I never heard the term topwater until Wonder started using it...and boy does he use it...it's a little over used. Seems like it should stay with fishing.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Marcstar] #2688525 10/24/11 05:58 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Marcstar
.....Seems like it should stay with fishing.

Actually John is half right. Yes, Topwater is a fishin term too.... however when I was a sprout the old mallard killers would use the word Topwater as a derrogatory term to refer to other hunters....kinda means: greenhorn,dipstick,dumazz, etc.

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #2688541 10/24/11 06:03 PM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Originally Posted By: Marcstar
.....Seems like it should stay with fishing.

Actually John is half right. Yes, Topwater is a fishin term too.... however when I was a sprout the old mallard killers would use the word Topwater as a derrogatory term to refer to other hunters....kinda means: greenhorn,dipstick,dumazz, etc.

man, this whole time I thought it was guys who skillet shoot. thank you for clearing up the reference. rifle

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: ishootspoonies] #2688605 10/24/11 06:20 PM
W
Will Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
I think those rules are mostly common sense.

Barney #1 probobly needs a copy though....

Always chasing grey bullets.
Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Will] #2688973 10/24/11 08:39 PM
W
Water Turkey2 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Do these rules apply to hunting pen raised muscoveys?

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Water Turkey2] #2689077 10/24/11 09:17 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Wonder
I searched it and it was a popular term on a couple arkansas related forums as well as some other mississippi river corridor state's forums going back about as far as is still searchable. So sorry, it is obvious some guys from Arkansas would be the ones to take credit for bringing it to the internet long before you. Or would you originally be from Arkansas by chance?

Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Sniper John] #2689119 10/24/11 09:31 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
It can stay in Arkansas too but yeah John as far as I'm concerned he did make it "famous" on THF. For better or worse....mostly worse of course.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: ......Public Hunting Etiquette for Topwaters [Re: Marcstar] #2689136 10/24/11 09:35 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
It was a fuge thing related to THF. Guys on that forum were always calling users on this forum topwaters including, well...., but that's ok, he is one of us now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide