Print Thread
Illinois hunt #2682892 10/21/11 10:58 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
I just got back from Illinois after a week long Whitetail hunt just outside of Canton in Fulton County (west of Peoria).

I did not shoot a buck - I really did not see a shooter the entire week. I was able to rattle in and see several 2 year old bucks, but not the one I was looking for. Still, these 2 year old bucks were some of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in my life. They were absolute monsters.

My biggest problem is that I picked the wrong week - next year I am going during the first week in November. This past week was the only week I could fit it in my schedule. They are about a week away from the pre-rut up there.

Illinois is a bow only state other than 5 days of shot gun season. The rest of the season is for bows only. There is also no baiting of any kind allowed. If you can't hunt without a corn feeder you need not waste your time going up there. It is challnging but very rewarding way to hunt. I can't wait to get back up there.

One more thing - my guide was Tim Wells of Relentless Pursuit fame. That is a whole nother story - but he is one heck of a great guy and so is his dad.

I feel the need to kill an Illinois Whitetail so I am going to keep going back until the deal is done.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: Illinois hunt [Re: millerliteliker] #2682929 10/21/11 11:21 PM
C
chrisj81 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
That is awesome yet sorry to hear you never got anything!!! Awsome in that you got to hang out with Tim Wells, he seems pretty funny, one of the only few shows I like to watch!! But sucks you did not get to shoot anything!! The challenge that it is will just make it that much more rewarding!!! Sorry and congrats at the same time!!

Mossy Oak ProStaff www.mossyoak.com
Black Eagle Arrows ProStaff www.blackeaglearrows.com
Ghostblind ProStaff www.ghostblind.com
TenPoint ProStaff www.tenpointcrossbows.com
Ramcat Broadheads ProStaff www.ramcatbroadheads.com/
Scent-Lok Advisory Team
Re: Illinois hunt [Re: chrisj81] #2891091 01/02/12 07:41 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I hunt Pike County every year. We always go the 1st week of November and Ive seen some absolute giants. I saw a deer that was everybit of 190" this year 2 nights in a row. I dont think Stacy Ward(Hadley Creek owner) would have been too happy with me if I would have crossed hsi fence and set in his treestand!!!

Anyways, we are going the 2nd week this year. It is supposed to be a lot better the 2nd week.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide