Forums46
Topics537,710
Posts9,728,019
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: STRIKE_N_STOP_EM_KENNELS] #265691 05/30/08 05:55 AM
H
Heeler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
What I have trouble understanding, is if a rancher or farmer has a big problem with hogs taking over, why do they insist on charging a man & his boy to go onto his land to kill a couple of pigs for the freezer?? I live on the upper end of Lake Whitney & I know that there is an abundance of pigs all over the place, but mention to one of the old tight wads that you'd like to kill a couple to eat & they've sworn to me that they don't have any on their place & they don't allow anyone on their land to hunt!!!I wanna go kill a couple of medium sized pigs to carry to the locker plant, but I cannot find anyone that will let me on their place to shoot any! I'm a responsible 56 year old man that has hunted & fished most of my life & have been a landowner before myself! I respectfully treat a man's place like it were my very own as far as policing the area for trash & I make sure that there is not a shred of trash left by me or any gates left open or closed, whatever the case may be & I know where I am shooting at all times too! There are several huge ranches in my area, but unless you know someone on the inside, forget ever getting inside the gates on any of them!! If there is such a pig problem, seems that they'd wanna get all the help they could to help control them! Is it greed or do they honestly not trust anyone to take care of their place while hunting??

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: jeh7mmmag] #265692 06/05/08 05:13 AM
M
mrbrisket357 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
something to think about. last week,( and no, i cant remember where i read it) but according to Game Wardens, on hogs, the current texas pop is 2 BILLION. the average sow has around 10 to 16 babies. although it is a SPORT hunting now, pretty soon, there will be no deer to hunt, cause the hogs have rooted them out and killed them. all you will be doing is feeding the hogs, and hoping a deer comes along. i know its a money thing for a lot of owners but, whats gonna happen to deer-hunting? Just thinking out loud. what yall think? it may be too late to control it with gun ,bow or trapping. I know that those 90--125 lbs are good eating. my son killed one at Cisco, we smoked it that night over mesquite. was awesome. its just the overpopulation dilema that is coming. Mr brisket.

thats what im talking about!
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: mrbrisket357] #265693 06/05/08 12:06 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Heeler - your last question in your post above is probably true on both ends or real close. Most landowners probably USED to allow hunting on their lands, until those that were hunting didn't abide by a few simple rules (don't leave any trash, pick up your hulls, if the gates closed-close it behind you, if it's open-don't close it, don't stretch the barbed-wire strands by using them as steps in crossing-crawl under or go to the gate, etc.) and that there has made them unwilling to trust folks anymore. On the other hand, they do realize that now they have a resource, whether it be a game animal or a species causing problems, they will only let those willing to pay the price into to hunt them or have leased their land out already.

There ARE still landowners out there that will allow you to hunt for free, but you have to diligent and willing to knock on a whole lot of doors before getting access. Heck, I have over 3500 acres at my disposal for fishing, hunting and trapping which I was granted permission back in 2001 and have yet to do any duck, squirrel, deer hunting, trapping or fishing on it YET!! Sounds crazy to most of yall, but there's only so much time I can get away. I have done quite a bit of fish and wildlife management on their ranch, but nothing other than that. That may all change if gas prices don't go down, then I'll have a place within 20 minutes of the house to enjoy while saving gas money.

I wish I could help you out on the hog situation and if I DO hear of someone having problems, I'll pass it along to you. What town are you located in, becasue most of the problems I hear about may be in the south/central part of the state.

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: kyotee1] #265694 06/06/08 05:54 AM
H
Heeler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
thanks for the response, I live outside of Kopperl, Tx, that is on the upper end of Lake Whitney in central Texas. I don't come onto this site too often, I mostly hang out on TFF, my screen name is Hank1951 on there. Thanks for the headsup on telling me if you hear anything, Heeler

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: mrbrisket357] #265695 06/06/08 10:39 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just one clarifacation to your statement:
Quote:

but according to Game Wardens, on hogs, the current texas pop is 2 BILLION.

the estimated number is 2 Million, not Billion, and the usual number per litter is 6 to 8, but they can have up to 3 litters in one year.

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: Crazyhorse] #265696 06/07/08 04:41 AM
M
mrbrisket357 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Crazyhorse. Thanks. 2 million makes more sense to me. im not sure where the billion came from. but i believe that its going to be a real problem real soon/ and most likely the state will have to step in to control it because of money greed and need from landowners and lesses, cant blame anyone for thying to make ends meet nowdays, but what could happen is because of the uncontrollable situation that is unavoidable, unless more harvesting and trapping occurs , is that the states will step in and charge landowners a DISPOSITION FEE" which being interpted is a REVENUE' for the state to fund more programs that dont exist. Make no mistake about it! its mostly about money. Wait till you see a Hog tag on your license and in order to kill a hog, you have to PAY xtra money just to shoot it. Im telling you folks it is coming. we have to pay for highways, welfare checks and county hospital service for non-citizens sometimes, its seems better to be poor and have nothing, then everything is free to you. housing, foodstamps free medical.the list goes on. ok, ok, I off my soapbox. thanks. Mrbrisket.

thats what im talking about!
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: mrbrisket357] #265697 06/09/08 04:34 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

but i believe that its going to be a real problem real soon/ and most likely the state will have to step in to control it because of money greed and need from landowners and lesses, cant blame anyone for thying to make ends meet nowdays, but what could happen is because of the uncontrollable situation that is unavoidable, unless more harvesting and trapping occurs , is that the states will step in and charge landowners a DISPOSITION FEE" which being interpted is a REVENUE' for the state to fund more programs that dont exist. Make no mistake about it! its mostly about money. Wait till you see a Hog tag on your license and in order to kill a hog, you have to PAY xtra money just to shoot it. Im telling you folks it is coming. we have to pay for highways, welfare checks and county hospital service for non-citizens sometimes, its seems better to be poor and have nothing, then everything is free to you. housing, foodstamps free medical.the list goes on. ok, ok, I off my soapbox. thanks. Mrbrisket.

And just where are you getting this so-called 'information'? The feral hog is classified as an exotic species which DO NOT require tags, can be taken anytime 24/7, 365 days out of the year on private property. We have several non-game animals that do not require tags and can be taken the same way, coyotes are one of them and they'll never become extinct.

Your analogy compares certain programs to others and seems to me you have a beef about those as opposed to what you posted in the first place. There are stipulations that are completely out of anyone's control, even the TPWD when it comes to landower's allowing who, when, why, how much on their land to take the species...it has been like this for years and getting worst.

I really enjoyed your statement claiming the hogs will eat all of the deer...hmmm

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: kyotee1] #265698 06/09/08 07:31 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
kyotee1

Thank you for bringing your usual level head to this discussion. The sky is not falling. And the TPW is not out to screw us all.

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: jeh7mmmag] #265699 07/08/08 03:57 AM
C
constable833 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
does anyone know of a place to do guided cougar hunts?

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: STRIKE_N_STOP_EM_KENNELS] #265700 08/15/08 12:36 AM
J
Jack-man Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Hey all...new to the forum. I live in Ellis county and am looking for public land with a hog population. I figured this would be the place to get an answer.

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: Jack-man] #265701 08/21/08 10:22 PM
O
OntheLasGallinas Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
I'm new to the forum also (first post). Invited by jeh7mmmag. In Texas, we don't have a lot of open public land that anyone can hunt on. The state lands down here (South of San Antonio) are hunted by drawing only. We have a huge wild hog population down here. I've seen over a hundred in one herd, running across a field.

Other comments in this forum string were about litter size and intelligence. They average is around 6 to 8 in each litter. Not all make it to be grown animals. The can have around 3 litters a year, depending on food availability.

They are a general pest to ranchers. I've had them tear up round bales of hay to get at the grain inside, root up fields in search of nut grass tubers, eat cattle supplement from feeders or tubs. When I used to farm, they would go into freshly planted peanut fields and eat up to 4 or 5 acres of peanut seed a night (causing you to have to replant some areas). I've had them get into my vegetable fields and destroy squash, turnips, watermelons, cantaloupes, etc. They will totally destroy corn or grain sorghum fields.

That said…. they are my favorite wild game, as far as eating quality of the meat. I'll choose wild hog over everything (quail is second).

One other thing, concerning the last post by mrbrisket357: Money greed is not the main driving factor for lease hunting. (Note: there are specialty operations that are most probably owned by hunting companies that do it as big business, but I’m talking about the family farmer/rancher). Farming and ranching is not on “par” with the rest of the world as far as dollar income per invested dollar. Contrary to popular belief most farmers and ranchers are not wealthy people. They may be land rich, but they are struggling to make ends meet. Lease hunting, just supplements what has been about 30 years of declining agricultural income. Sometimes the lease money is the only profit for the year, or enough to help pay the land taxes.

As a land owner that allows almost no hunting, except for family members, my issue is privacy. That is the right of any private property owner. Most urban people wouldn't like someone they hardly know going into their back yards and using their BBQ pits or swimming pools, even if they asked permission.

Cary

Last edited by OntheLasGallinas; 08/22/08 02:18 AM.
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: OntheLasGallinas] #265702 08/25/08 07:06 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
Cary,
Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy it. Pull up a stump and Auzzy Vince will be along with the beer soon. I see you already have your waders on. Enjoy and the best to you my friend.
James

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: TGalyon1] #265703 09/11/08 06:44 PM
S
SteveO Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Quote:

Quote:

Are there any parts of the State of Texas that have solved their "hog problem"?

I keep thinking that with all the hunters in this State and the fact that one can just about hunt them any time, any where (with permission) with just about any weapon, why there are still so many of these hog out there?

Are they really that prolific and that smart?

There are two kinds of property in Texas those that have hogs and those that are going to get hogs .

i hunt near Ozona, TX... and there are 0 (zero) hogs and 0 (zero) coyotes in the entire area... they have not been heard or seen in decades, and the hogs never made it into the area... i don't know if it's because of the lack of water or maybe the javalina keep the habitat more suited for themselves... to be honest, i'd rather have hogs than javalina cuz they taste better.

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: SteveO] #265704 09/25/08 07:46 PM
W
wellingtontx Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
No hogs in my area of the panhandle - yet. Do think we will see them before too long.

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: wellingtontx] #265705 09/29/08 05:52 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
Thanks for info Curtis,
James

New Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) regulations for moving LIVE feral swine will go into effect October 1.

I am providing the brochure text below, but if you need a supply of the free brochures for distribution, please let me know, and they'll be shipped immediately. Please provide the number of copies you need and a mailing address.
The brochure also is posted on the TAHC web site at http://www.tahc.state.tx.us

Carla Everett
TAHC Public Information Officer

Why does the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) care about wild hogs?

The TAHC, the state's livestock and poultry health regulatory agency, is concerned about wild (feral) hogs because of the disease threats they pose to domestic cattle and swine herds. Tests on feral, or wild, hogs indicate that about 20 percent of these animals carry pseudorabies, a flu-like pig disease NOT related to rabies, and about 10 percent have swine Brucellosis, the swine form of Brucellosis or Bangs disease.

In 2007, the 80th Texas Legislature provided for the TAHC to regulate the movement of live feral swine, as a measure to control disease spread. The intent of these regulations is to allow the movement of wild hogs for hunting or slaughter, while protecting livestock from the disease risks posed by these animals.

Doesn't the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) regulate hog hunting?

Yes. The TPWD, an agency separate from the TAHC, requires the registration of hunting leases, where persons pay to hunt wild hogs. Sport hunters also must have a hunting license.

If a hunting ranch does NOT receive or release live wild hogs onto the property, the TAHC feral swine regulations do not apply to the operation.

When do the TAHC regulations apply?

The TAHC's regulations apply when LIVE WILD HOGS are moved from the premises where they were trapped or captured. The diagrams below show where the wild hogs may be moved. While awaiting transport, the feral swine may be held in the trap or in a pen for as long as 7 days. A number of pre-existing TAHC-approved holding facilities will continue in operation. These double-fenced facilities are intended to hold feral swine temporarily until a load of the animals can be assembled for shipping to their ultimate destination. Holding facilities must be constructed at least 200 yards from domestic swine pens, and be inspected by the TAHC.

There is no fee for an approved holding facility, but the operator must apply, and records must be maintained on the number and dates of feral swine being placed into and/or removed from the holding facility, the description of the animals and any identification devices, and where the animals were trapped. (To apply for an approved facility, contact your TAHC area office, or the TAHC headquarters at 800-550-8242.)

Allowing feral swine to escape from the approved holding facility, or the failure to maintain records, can lead to a penalty for violation of the rule and suspension or revocation of the approved holding facility status.

Texas has nearly three million feral swine, and increasing the population of these animals heightens the chance for disease transmission. Sows and gilts are not to be moved to hunting preserves. Although there are provisions for domesticating wild hogs for production, this practice is not encouraged. The preferred, ultimate destination for sows and gilts is slaughter.

Boars and barrows may be moved to a hunting preserve, feral swine holding facility, or to slaughter. Boars and barrows may be moved from traps or approved holding facilities to authorized hunting preserves that are fenced adequately to prevent swine from escaping under, over or through the fence. Prior to being released, these animals must have individual identification, approved by the TAHC. (Wild hogs hauled to slaughter from the holding facility do NOT need to be individually identified.)

Like the approved holding facilities, authorized hunting preserves must be approved and inspected by the TAHC, and there is no TAHC fee. Applications may be obtained from the nearest TAHC area office or by calling the TAHC headquarters. A current copy of the TPWD hunting lease license will be required.
Record keeping must be maintained, to include the dates, number, description and individual identification of wild boars and barrows released into the preserve, and those removed through hunting. Fences must be kept in good repair to prevent the escape of the boars and barrows.

A hunting preserve may lose its authorization if identified wild boars or barrows are detected outside the preserve fences.

What about the records?

Records maintained for approved holding facilities and authorized hunting preserves are to be kept by the facility operator, and made available for inspection by TAHC personnel.

Feeding swine:
To prevent potential disease transmission, feral swine and domestic swine are not to be fed garbage, which includes restricted garbage -- raw or cooked meat, meat scraps, or a commingled mixture of meat products or by-products with other food scraps.

Furthermore, Chapter 55.3 of the TAHC's regulations also prohibit feeding feral swine unrestricted garbage, identified as vegetables, fruits, dairy products, or baked goods.

Is there a penalty for disregarding the feral swine regulations?

The TAHC makes every attempt to obtain compliance by providing information and sound reasoning for protecting domestic livestock herds. However, the rules include both criminal and administrative penalties, which may be imposed for violations.

The TAHC feral swine regulations are based on Chapters 161.0412 and 161.1375 of the Texas Administrative Code (law). Noncompliance with movement requirements is a Class C misdemeanor, and repeat offenses are a Class B misdemeanor. Alternatively, the TAHC may address noncompliance with administrative penalties.

The text of the TAHC's feral swine regulations may be obtained on line on the TAHC website at http://www.tahc.state.tx.us; by emailing comments@tahc.state.tx.us; or by calling the TAHC's Public Information Office at 800-550-8242, ext 710.

~ John Muir
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: jeh7mmmag] #265706 10/19/08 09:13 PM
J
jayb Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I'm in the Frisco area and looking for 1) close public land to hunt hogs & 2) good, cheap place to go for a day hunt nearby.( My Eastern friends and Dad when they visit. Love to get a hog w/ my bow this year. I do have the Management map book for this year just not sure witch one nearby is the best.

Your Friend in Frisco
The Biedermann Group-Real Estate
www.TheBiedermannGroup.com
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: STRIKE_N_STOP_EM_KENNELS] #265707 12/02/08 07:53 AM
J
JakeSpoon Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
In the last 4 years, they have easily tripled or quadrupled in population on our lease in Throckmorton county. I dispatched three this past month inside of 45 minutes, all huge boars. They can ruin a deer hunt fast!

Thanks and Prayers to Soldiers, present and past, for fighting to preserve the freedom we enjoy as Americans!
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: JakeSpoon] #265708 12/10/08 08:19 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
added: Curing and Smoking Meats for Home Food Preservation
Literature Review and Critical Preservation Points
http://uga.edu/nchfp/publications/nchfp/lit_rev/cure_smoke_cure.html

~ John Muir
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: jeh7mmmag] #265709 01/03/09 06:48 AM
D
dwdbutcher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/...ht_calculations

here's a website that shows how to estimate the weight of a hog

Politicians telling Marines how to fight is like lawyers telling doctors how to operate.
I want the same health benifits my President has
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: dwdbutcher] #265710 01/07/09 08:22 AM
H
hunter254 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
???? what are hogs bringing per pound now a days???

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: STRIKE_N_STOP_EM_KENNELS] #265711 01/10/09 08:19 AM
W
WyoHunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I've bowhunted them on bowhunting only ranches each January for the last 10 years and the demise of many has been their appetite for corn. Great noses, hear better than me and the ones I've hunted can recognize a man's silhouette before you're in bow range. Great animals to bowhunt and to eat!

Enjoy the experience and take home the memories!
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: WyoHunter] #265712 01/10/09 08:38 AM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Helpful tip...IF, yes IF its possible..take out the sows FIRST....since they can pop out more babies then a boar lol cant blame you though if you have a boar tearing up feeders

Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: texasspazzman] #265713 01/11/09 05:15 AM
B
bowman45 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
it is not illegal to carry a handgun during archery only season if you have a concealed handgun license. a buddy of mine carries one when he goes bow hunting he has muscular distrafy in his legs and cant run,barelly walk.so he found out about carrying a handgun during archery season.

Hoyt XT2000 Double lung'em If you can
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: Heeler] #265714 01/17/09 05:51 PM
HighTechRedneck Offline
redman
redman
Heeler, we have over 40,000 free acres to hunt around Lake Whitney. They allow shotgun for hogs! I have never hunted it but know people that do successfully. I have threatened myself to hunt it every year just never have. My thoughts where to go by boat and come in on the backside of the Corp. land away from most pressure.

VEGETARIAN,
an old Indian word for
Poor Hunter!
www.teamredneck.net
www.vaportrailscents.com
Re: FERAL HOG INFORMATION THREAD [Re: Heeler] #265715 01/17/09 06:53 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I've noticed a lot of folks that have livestock don't want people on their land hunting. I guess they are practicing the "better safe, than sorry" routine.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide