Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
what are some of your scent control techniques #2630550 10/04/11 01:59 AM
J
jsmith76n Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
I have tried just about everything and bought just about everything but still get winded constantly. What is everyones way to keep your scent down maybe there's something I haven't tried

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: jsmith76n] #2630573 10/04/11 02:07 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Because all of those scent control products are baseless gimmicks. Recent studies have proven it. One of those manufacturers got sued recently and weren't able to back their claims of eliminating scent.

Personally, I just take a bath in the creek once a week, whether I need it or not.

One morning while walking to the stand I walked up on a big arse West Texas skunk. He sprayed me good. I went ahead and sat that morning and took a decent 8 pt trailing a doe. I stunk so bad that at times I was gagging.

Once I got out of the stand I quickly shed the Wall's Blizzard Proof (and apparently skunk proof) coveralls that I was wearing as my outer layer.

Now I can't say that the skunk odor aided me in killing that buck but I don't think it hurt either.

Last edited by LandPirate; 10/04/11 02:10 AM.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: LandPirate] #2630613 10/04/11 02:17 AM
J
jsmith76n Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
I have actually thought about having a skunk spray me before but wasn't sure if it would work. So you think washing my clothes and towels in scent free detergent taking a shower with scent free soap and using cover scent is useless? Oh I also use scent lok clothes.

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: jsmith76n] #2630667 10/04/11 02:32 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Well Mr. Smith, you said in your original post that despite all of your efforts the deer still wind you.

I've been in law enforcement for a couple of decades. In my line of work we call that a clue.

I've tried all of the odor free crapola and found that, IMHO, it didn't do anything for me.

When I was a kid growing up I'd sit with my grandpa in the stand. He smoked a pipe the whole time. His tobacco was the richest smelling stuff you could imagine. We still managed to bring home deer.

I've stalked up on deer wearing blue jeans and red flannel shirts. I've had deer walk past me and never bat an eye, even after not bathing for the past 3 or 4 days.

I think a lot of these products pushed on deer hunters nowadays are nothing but snake oil. Some work but others don't give you the edge that is claimed by manufacturers.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: LandPirate] #2630716 10/04/11 02:41 AM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
i will tell ya, i dont take alot of precautions with sent control. i try to stay out of the smoke from the camp fire as much as possible and have my clothes just for going to the stand. heck alot of times i get up and hunt in what i fell asleep in. ive been winded before and it will happen again im sure. i see as many deer as my uncle thats covered in head to toe with the stores latest fasions of scent free stuff most of the time more. in rifle season i wear blue jeans and a hoody.just playing the wind right makes a huge difference!

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: TAT] #2630754 10/04/11 02:49 AM
J
jsmith76n Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
What about dipping snuff and spitting it on the ground? Think that smell will scare them off. And rifle hunting is no problem I have never been winded while rifle hunting. I'm more of a bow hunter though and scent plays a big role when you have to be that close to them

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: jsmith76n] #2630784 10/04/11 02:58 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
When I'm the stand I'm always dipping snuff or chewing Levi Garrett. I've thrown the used wads out and watched deer walk right past without affecting them at all. I honestly don't think that it's that big of a deal.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: LandPirate] #2630836 10/04/11 03:15 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Use the wind to your advantage. It is cheap and works very well. I do not put much merit in the scent control or eliminating gimmicks that are out there today. Nothing is 100% effective. Do not get locked into going to the same stand everytime or you will get busted. Don't hunt a place if the wind is not perfect you will do nothing but educate the deer. Use multilple sets around the same area to use the wind.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: stxranchman] #2630905 10/04/11 03:44 AM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't eat beans or deviled eggs the day before loser8

Last edited by BuckRage; 10/04/11 03:53 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: stxranchman] #2630920 10/04/11 03:51 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Use the wind to your advantage. It is cheap and works very well. I do not put much merit in the scent control or eliminating gimmicks that are out there today. Nothing is 100% effective. Do not get locked into going to the same stand everytime or you will get busted. Don't hunt a place if the wind is not perfect you will do nothing but educate the deer. Use multilple sets around the same area to use the wind.

Well said up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: txshntr] #2631064 10/04/11 07:54 AM
R
RedTrail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
If you have cows, horses, goats etc..on your property, this can be helpful. When bowhunting or having to cross through my hunting area on foot, I frequently will step in their droppings to cover my scent of walking to the blind/stand. I've been known on swirling windy days to take the dry portions and scrape on the clothes. Its free, and a heck of alot better than looking like a complete dipstick chasing a skunk around.

”Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: stxranchman] #2631098 10/04/11 10:10 AM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Very well said...

When it comes down to it. Nothings going to ensure that you aren't going to be scented better than playing the wind direction. You should have multiple setups for different wind directions. I'm no fanatic in using scent control stuff, but I do try to myself in the best position possible to take a deer. I've been scented before, any hunter that does this for awhile is going to. There's always that rogue deer that shows up completely out of place and busts you.

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: Shortysboy09] #2631329 10/04/11 01:25 PM
C
Cavscout1968 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I know this is a hot topic on this forum, but I am fairly religious in use of scent control clothing and products and growing more so. I understand that people have experiences in getting animals without using any, smoking cigerettes while drinking a cup of coffee. But if it gives me the smallest edge or covers up any of my mistakes and allows me to harvest a mountable animal, its all worth it to me.

I wash using scent free soap, put on scent free deoderant, use scent free foot powder. They put on my Tek4 base layer, light coat of fresh eart scent, put on my pants and hooded sweat shirt, heavy coat of fresh eath scent, then my safty harness gets another healty coat of fresh earth. Then I spray down my hat,gloves and mask with acorn scent(I hate the fresh earth smell in my face for hours) and spray my hands and head with the acorn scent. Drive out till I'm about 500m from my stand, spray down from head to toe in scentless spray. While out there I et mints at a steady pace to cover my breathe. At my stand I use natural pine discs, changing he disc once on Saturday mornings of any weekend I hunt. After washing my clothes in scent free soap I store them in a scent loc bag with discs of fairly fresh cut pine discs at the bottom of the bag, but I would use whatever type of tree my stand is in I just happen to be in a pine this year.

Now some will say I waste my time and money with all this, but I've not been winded in my stand since I started doing this. Be it luck of whatever, it makes me and the deer comfortable so I'll stick with it. Heck I had a small 4 pointer and 2 does walk a complete 360 under me, within feet of my stand on Sunday morning.

I do all this for bow season only. I just dress to be warm during gun season.

Last edited by Cavscout1968; 10/04/11 01:45 PM.

US Cavalry, retired
Surviving Wisconsin to live in Texas
7 months till no more snow
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: Cavscout1968] #2631372 10/04/11 01:39 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I make sure I blow my "smoke" up!! grin

I play the wind as already mentioned. In Texas, the wind is usually pretty easy to manage, when I am in the Rocky's, or other mountains like West TX, then it takes a bit more wind observation.

I did the whole scent elimination thing when it was getting popular in the 80's and I was bow hunting. Was such a PITA I quit. Go to all that trouble just to get in a smelly camp or truck.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: Western] #2631388 10/04/11 01:43 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Not to mention that the instant you begin to perspire you are producing scent. Can't be avoided.

Be mindful of the wind and don't be upwind or your feeder, trail, water, or whatever structure you're hunting over.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: LandPirate] #2631445 10/04/11 02:08 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I think most on here know how I stand on scent elimination/contorl, im with landpirate, it is a load of bs, someone trying to turn a dime. Last year I sat in a lawn chair with a beer 25 yards from the feeder stuck in some thick grass after a long day of working... with no shower, my fiance could smell me, no hugs. I had 13 deer come in and feed with no issues, and the wind wasnt blowing straight at my back, but more at my back than my face.

Hunted way too many times at 15 yards out of a pop up just how I climbed out of bed to believe in scent controll. The heavily presured lease that I hunted for the past 20 years in the hill country from 30 yards to the feeder and never had a problem getting winded. Its all a gimick to me, its buck crack in another form.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: LandPirate] #2631455 10/04/11 02:11 PM
H
hornedfrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I believe 100% in all the sent control/elimination clothes, boots, srays and gadgets!!! And it does not matter if it works as advertised or not. What I do believe is if people think it helps and gives them an edge it often does give them a boost in confidence, encourgement, and often ability. It is a mental thing, just like rally caps, luck objects, superstial rituals, ect. Dont get me wrong I know that gimics will not replace skills, but if smelling like a skunk gives you confidence go find a skunk.

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: hornedfrog] #2631460 10/04/11 02:13 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
You just go right on ahead and tell that to the convict running from the blood hound... that if he puts on his rally cap he will get away!

Some of the stuff on here is rediculouse, either it makes a diference or it doesnt!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: redchevy] #2631489 10/04/11 02:25 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I have a new product for deer hunters. It's the latest technology and proven over and over again, generation after generation. My hunter's kit includes a magic magnetic bracelet with a lucky rabbit's foot attached. Wear it on your wrist or ankle and you too will shoot a Booner. It's only $19.95. But if you order in the next 21.25 minutes I'll double your order. Operators are standing by.

Last edited by LandPirate; 10/04/11 02:26 PM.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: LandPirate] #2631513 10/04/11 02:35 PM
B
bigtexasbucks Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I break off cedar on the way to my stand. Mash it up good then rub it on my clothes. Seems to work.

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: bigtexasbucks] #2631631 10/04/11 03:20 PM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I bought one of the large ice chests and keep all of my hunting clothes in it after I wash them in scentless detergent. I also take showers with scentless soap as often as possible while at the farm. I don't believe that I am truely scentless, but I do think it helps.

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: jrgocards] #2631696 10/04/11 03:43 PM
K
KeithTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
play the wind brotha'. Gimmick or not but I hunted comanche county one year and the ranch was loaded with ton's and ton's of deer. If you didn't see 40 deer per set then somethin' was way wrong. I have alway's used Wildlife research center's 99% and I didn't have none with me this particular day so I used my buddies H.S. scent away stuff. I have never heard so many deer blowing and raisin' cane at once in my life. Honestly had to of been 20-30 deer blowing at me at one time for about 30 minutes straight. I made my way into town that night and got the good stuff 99% and the next day same wind and all and all the deer made their way to the feeder and never new I was there. I can say that I have sat in a bow stand alot of day's and to this day not one deer has busted me and dang sure has never blown at me while wearing it. Not saying deer haven't smelled me and I never saw them come out for that reason but I have never been actually busted with it. Even in Ground blind's I have em' walk 3-5 yard's from me all the time with no worries.

Guide's Life
Elusive Wildlife Technologies
Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: KeithTT] #2631945 10/04/11 05:22 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
"Myth Busters" did a show on scent control products...a multimillion dollar industry in the hunting world. Obviously they could not use deer in the experiment but they used dogs with the assumption that a deer sense of smell was as good as a dog. Using all the control products and clothing they could find they ran the test with the dogs........not even close. The dogs had no problems finding their targets. This myth was "BUSTED".

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: Walkabout] #2631969 10/04/11 05:31 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If you take a bathe regularly and sit in a box blind, then I wouldn't worry too much about scent.

Re: what are some of your scent control techniques [Re: Walkabout] #2631984 10/04/11 05:35 PM
C
ctonsmitty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
1) take shower with non-scented soap
2) wash clothes with non-scented detergent, no scent dryer sheets
3) no scent deodorant
4) spray clothes and gear with no scent spray
5) rub down clothes, boots, gear with cedar leaves
6) hydrogen peroxide mouth wash just before I close the door on the truck

*Dead Down Wind is what I prefer