2011 Hunting Season Questions #2551328 09/01/11 05:09 AM
L
LoganVivisected Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
First off hello all,

My wife and I are fairly new to Texas. We're active duty Army that were recently stationed here last year in the San Antonio area. Being avid outdoorsmen, (err, man & woman), we've been taking advantage of all the hiking/camping opertunities Texas offers here in the Hill Country and we'd now like to hunt this area this season.

Niether of us are new to hunting; her being from Colorado and myself having hunted several states on the east coast (FL, NC and VA) we aren't starting from scratch here but we are a little lost on where to hunt.

So after getting our hunting permits and researching TPWD I see in our immediate zone Wilson County and Guadalupe County are both going to be open this season for white tail hunts. Where in these counties are the Public Hunting Lands? Everything seems to be private lands here in Texas and I simply cannot justify spending several thousand dollars to shoot a deer. It's simply out of our price range. Do any of you know decent hunting grounds open to the public in this the Bexar County region?

As a side we're also more than willing to help thin out your Boar populations and given a decent price can bring upwards of 5-7 hunters for culling if the price is right as well.

Basically in short for white tail where is our best Public Hunting Lands spot, (or if there does happen to be any enlisted friendly priced hunting ranches I'm willing to listen), and for boar in this area where would be the best place(s) to look at for a group?

Thank you for your time and help!

--LV

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: LoganVivisected] #2551600 09/01/11 12:49 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Guadalupe and Wilson Counties do have deer and hogs but are not generally regarded as hunting destinations. The deer are scattered and not as populated as other areas.

Since you are Army I'd check with your base's Recreation office and see what lands the Army has that is available for you to hunt. There is excellent hunting at Camp Bullis but I hear that hunters are selected by drawing and it may be too late for you to get in on that.

There is little public land in Texas and therefore limited opportunities to hunt for free. Most people in Texas pay for a "Package" hunt through an outfitter or ranch, or they get on a lease. Package hunts can run from a few hundred dollars up to thousands. Same with leases. Leases give you unlimited access to the land throughout the season and in many cases, the whole year.

Your best success is going to from a package hunt or lease. To stay in budget you might consider a "Cull" package where you're allowed to kill a cull buck, doe and hogs, plus accomodations & food. I've seen those hunts going for under $1000.

Best of luck.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: LoganVivisected] #2551618 09/01/11 12:56 PM
O
ouixch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: LoganVivisected
First off hello all,

My wife and I are fairly new to Texas. We're active duty Army that were recently stationed here last year in the San Antonio area. Being avid outdoorsmen, (err, man & woman), we've been taking advantage of all the hiking/camping opertunities Texas offers here in the Hill Country and we'd now like to hunt this area this season.

Niether of us are new to hunting; her being from Colorado and myself having hunted several states on the east coast (FL, NC and VA) we aren't starting from scratch here but we are a little lost on where to hunt.

So after getting our hunting permits and researching TPWD I see in our immediate zone Wilson County and Guadalupe County are both going to be open this season for white tail hunts. Where in these counties are the Public Hunting Lands? Everything seems to be private lands here in Texas and I simply cannot justify spending several thousand dollars to shoot a deer. It's simply out of our price range. Do any of you know decent hunting grounds open to the public in this the Bexar County region?

As a side we're also more than willing to help thin out your Boar populations and given a decent price can bring upwards of 5-7 hunters for culling if the price is right as well.

Basically in short for white tail where is our best Public Hunting Lands spot, (or if there does happen to be any enlisted friendly priced hunting ranches I'm willing to listen), and for boar in this area where would be the best place(s) to look at for a group?

Thank you for your time and help!

--LV

The short version is that there isn't much public land. If I remember right, Texas is something like 95% privately owned. On top of that, the majority of the public land doesn't offer deer hunts except by lottery. Paying to hunt is just the way it works down here, and it is more than likely much more expensive than what you are accustomed to. Try the bases, the MWR office will be able to help you out. You can hunt on Fort Hood in Killeen, and they have some decent deer. I hunted there when I was active duty. If I were you I'd scrape together a couple hundred bucks and go for a weekend somewhere.

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: LandPirate] #2551620 09/01/11 12:58 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
welcome Texas is 96%+ privately owned land. If you do your homework I am sure you can find some public ground to hunt but it will usually be hard hunting due to pressure. With even more homework you might find a private landowner who will let you hunt or trade work for hunting. But remember there are no free hunts as someone always has to pay for that land and its expenses. Checkout the TPWD site and put in on the draw hunts. The closing date for many is today at 5 pm though. Some of the exotic hunts, few other hunts and hog hunts will have later dates. Good luck.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: stxranchman] #2551638 09/01/11 01:10 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Get with father of 4 on here, not in your area but he does free hunts for soldiers. Great guy to deal with.
http://www.huntingwithsoldiers.com/

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: westtexaswatkins] #2551717 09/01/11 01:43 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Welcome to Texas and thank you for your service.

Here is the link to get the APH permit you'll need to hunt on Texas' WMAs.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/

You'll get a map booklet, which has the current information on what you can hunt on each WMA.

There is an online map locator, but I'm not sure its been updated for this season yet.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/

While there aren't that many public spots for hunting deer in the WMA program (as most are for the lottery system), you're close to some solid deer hunting at Camp Bullis in San Antonio. You can also visit Fort Hood's web site, as they have set aside areas that are open for hunting.

goodluck

[Linked Image]
Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: Hopedale] #2552099 09/01/11 04:32 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I used to hunt at Fort Hood west of Temple. It is a draw system but not to bad. At teh time they drew for the morning and evening hunts seperately.

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: GLC] #2553025 09/01/11 11:39 PM
P
Precision_Shooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Try Fort Hood. But I think you have to use a slug gun. No Rifles if I remember correctly...

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: Precision_Shooter] #2553161 09/02/11 01:07 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
There is a big ranch just south of you in Freer Tx that is owned and ran by the Navy. They offer discount hunts for active members of the armed services. There is also lodging avaiable at the ranch. Might want to check into that.

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: sqiggy] #2553220 09/02/11 01:33 AM
H
Hard Knocks Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: Hard Knocks] #2553230 09/02/11 01:40 AM
T
tholloway Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
As a publis land hunter, the TPWD and its map booklet have given me some fat years and some lean. But, its a good resource for public land, that our hard earned tax dollars pay for. All in all, its just good to get out in the woods.

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Questions [Re: tholloway] #2553277 09/02/11 01:55 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
When its all said and done, you really can hunt where ever you want. Just don't get cought.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide