Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Pro's & cons of your bird dog. #2372336 06/16/11 01:36 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline OP
Bird Herder
OP Offline
Bird Herder
After the thread about GSP's, to keep it fair, let's hear what everyone has to say about all breeds of dogs they have owned or hunted with. I've already posted in the other thread about GSP's so, I'll start with Brittany's: the pro's would be, they are small & agile, do well in the heat, most of them (in my experience) learn to pace themselves & can hunt all day and they are for the most part, independent (not too clingy). Cons would be, they are hyper, can be a little soft if your not careful with training and they get stuff caught in their hair sometimes while hunting. These are my observations after owning Brittanies for more than 20 years. I have only owned Brittanies & Gsp's, my Dad had a pointer when I was a kid but didn't have a lease & gave it to someone that would hunt it when it was only a year old, so my only experience with them has been hunting with buddies that owned them, so pro's for me would be, they are very fast, hard running bird finders, also very independent and seem to be fairly easy to train. The only cons that I have noticed would be, they are also hyper, they seem to get tired fast & I don't care for the long tail whipping around. Again these are only opinions, no two dogs are them same IMO, but same breeds tend to favor each other quite a bit.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2372557 06/16/11 03:27 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Pros of a vizsla: Eager to please. Shed less than most dogs. Don't have that doggie smell. Handle the heat. Lots of energy and endurance in the field. They are too smart for there own good. Which can be a pro or a con, depending on what they learned that day.
Cons
They want to always be with you. Not to the point that they tear up things when left alone. Mine just crash til I get back but once I'm home they follow me in every room of the house.
Can be a little soft on training.
The biggest con is they don't clean up their own poo.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2372559 06/16/11 03:27 PM
P
patrick123 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I have a boykin Spaniel that is jsut over 1yrs old that i am going to be hunting over for the 1st time this fall... so we will see how that goes... i have never owner one before this so i do not have any prior experience...

Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: patrick123] #2372695 06/16/11 04:29 PM
Sherpa Dog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I'll second Kindall's description, as he just described my Vizsla! If your looking for a buddy that loves to be outdoors but keeps you laughing, Vizsla's are a good choice.

Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: Sherpa Dog] #2373125 06/16/11 09:07 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Turn my knotheads loose and they are going hunting. If you want to tag along, fine. They are not smart, they are not clingy, altho they do enjoy a kind word and a back scratch and a rub behind the ears while they are trapped in the kennel. Other that that,they simply want to find birds.. period...and they look like a million dollars when they do. Retrieving is not their strongest suit. Some of my pointers prefer to leave those duties to my Labrador. She does a much classier job of it anyway.
I have one who is pretty good about finding hogs, too. He doesn't want to mess with them after he points them, but he finds several every season and stands there and flags on point, and jukes around a little bit. He won't leave until the hog is flushed, either. At that point, he does not give chase, but rather continues about his business. I can't say why.
They are easy keepers. Generally healthy. My oldest turned 15 yrs old first part of April.

Last edited by Pointer; 06/16/11 10:03 PM.
Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: Pointer] #2374080 06/17/11 12:47 PM
W
webe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
White with that tail frozen straight up. Thats what it's all about.

Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: webe] #2374252 06/17/11 02:50 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
My English Pointer is all about hunting. She never stops. She has a very good nose and the greyhound in her means covering some ground in a hurry. She's a good retriever and will even fetch over water. If there is a con it's that she ranges too far out at times, but then again, that's really what I want out of her. My Brit is all about making me happy. He has an average nose but is an excellent dog on dead birds. He responds to hand signals very well. On pen-raised, he is our flusher, and the only dog we have that will. Hunts close, which makes him the designated dog on pheasant and he sits patiently seated by my side when dove hunting. I stand up, he stands up. Bird goes down, he fetches bird. I sit down. The only knock is that he runs hot. Texas summers are hard on the boy. I keep his coat short and that helps. Also helps with briars. Love 'em both, wouldn't take for 'em.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: reeltexan] #2374270 06/17/11 03:00 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Deutsch Drahthaar - Pro and Con is that they require a strict set of tests to be allowed to breed the dog. That is both a pro and a con. The reason is it will keep people fom being puppy mills and will only produce dogs the society thinks are acceptable. The con is that not everyone that wants to breed can. I guess that is also a pro, depending upon how you look at it.

Pro - Mine will hunt anything you allow her to. Very quick learner and always wants to please.

Con - Gets stickers in beard and always wants to hunt. She won't turn off her hunting even in the house. She always wants to go hunting. She will stare out the window and watch birds. With that said, she has never destroyed anything in the house and has never been a problem in the house. Obedience and exercise is the key.

Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: stinkbelly] #2374324 06/17/11 03:40 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Stinkbelly Two of mine are window hunters. Ive got to where I leave the blinds partially up on one window so they don't have to poke their nose between the blinds to see. Once a bird or squirrel is spotted they creep slowly out the door. They both stand on point til the bird flies or the squirrel make a move.
Then the high speed chase is on.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: kindall] #2374331 06/17/11 03:43 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have seen some points through my window too. I have a pier and beam house. I have several times had Izzy walking around sniffing the floor like she is tracking somthing. I always wonder what is under there.

Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: stinkbelly] #2374406 06/17/11 04:37 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
Rocky is my first bird dog, he is a Vizsla, I started late in life so my con would be if your close to 60 a Vizsla is not the dog for you, he will also eat and entire roll of T.P.
Pro. he loves me and loves to be with me, the con to this is if he has to stay in the dog box he barks and howls all night.
My hunting partners really love that bang

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Pro's & cons of your bird dog. [Re: RayB] #2374682 06/17/11 07:47 PM
S
Stick 711 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: Ray B
Rocky is my first bird dog, he is a Vizsla, I started late in life so my con would be if your close to 60 a Vizsla is not the dog for you, he will also eat and entire roll of T.P.
Pro. he loves me and loves to be with me, the con to this is if he has to stay in the dog box he barks and howls all night.
My hunting partners really love that bang

Mine is a Pointer. Extremely high energy, the desire to hunt is amazing. I can't pull a gun from the cabinet or a vest from the closet (very smart). Loves laying on the sofa with her head in my lap (house dog she is-oh pointers can't be house dogs?).

Ray, Rocky's barking and howling isn't a Viszla thing. If you remember when we left my Katie and my son's Rocky staked out and left, they had a pretty good chorus that could be heard a long way off. I'm sure it's not like mine that he's just spoiled rotten and loves to hunt with ya. happy3

Phil

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide