Forums46
Topics537,031
Posts9,719,638
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting #2364030 06/11/11 03:18 PM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I think we all have a story to tell about "surprises" you have encountered when climbing up to your blind and opening the door.

Up until last weekend, wasps and small birds were my biggest surprise. So here is my story: I go out to the lease for the first time this year since end of January. I look arounds and it appears that all windows are still in place (this was an old existing blind that was on the place when I got on it). It had wasp in it last year so I was expecting a few. So I climb up the ladder (which is about on its last leg anyway) about 10'. The way the door and latch system is on this stand requires you to lean back and swing the door open - so you dont get to crack the door open and peak in. So I ease the door open and right in my face are two buzzard chicks about the size of full grown chickens that start flapping. Scared the $%#@ out of me. They were in the half way molting stage so all this fuzz starting flying everywhere as well. They are without a doubt the ugliest creatures I have ever laid my eyes on. I cant even begin to tell you what the floor of that blind looked like. Turns out a section of the roof had blown off the stand which is what allowed the buzzard to make it a home. The landowner went and ahead and demo'ed the blind as it only had about one year left anyway). I dont know how I was able to keep my footing on the ladder when this happened (or kept my underwear clean). It certainly got my blood pressure up smile

Let us hear your story.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Bonner] #2364094 06/11/11 04:17 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Pretty much the same story with me - up a 12' tower, had to lean back a litlle to open the door, and there staring at me was an owl - talk about a mess!

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Halfadozen] #2364099 06/11/11 04:21 PM
Rockinmyshoe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Ring tailed cat...thought i had met my maker.. its funny now. rofl

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Bonner] #2364105 06/11/11 04:25 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Bonner
I think we all have a story to tell about "surprises" you have encountered when climbing up to your blind and opening the door.

Up until last weekend, wasps and small birds were my biggest surprise. So here is my story: I go out to the lease for the first time this year since end of January. I look arounds and it appears that all windows are still in place (this was an old existing blind that was on the place when I got on it). It had wasp in it last year so I was expecting a few. So I climb up the ladder (which is about on its last leg anyway) about 10'. The way the door and latch system is on this stand requires you to lean back and swing the door open - so you dont get to crack the door open and peak in. So I ease the door open and right in my face are two buzzard chicks about the size of full grown chickens that start flapping. Scared the $%#@ out of me. They were in the half way molting stage so all this fuzz starting flying everywhere as well. They are without a doubt the ugliest creatures I have ever laid my eyes on. I cant even begin to tell you what the floor of that blind looked like. Turns out a section of the roof had blown off the stand which is what allowed the buzzard to make it a home. The landowner went and ahead and demo'ed the blind as it only had about one year left anyway). I dont know how I was able to keep my footing on the ladder when this happened (or kept my underwear clean). It certainly got my blood pressure up smile

Let us hear your story.

Would be green grass under that ladder after the first rain if it was me. clap
Heard about some guys who had a lease around Cotulla and one of the guys went down to check things. He climb the ladder and when he opened the door he was attacked by bees and fell 10-12 ft to the ground. He was seriously injured in the fall and laid there till they came looking for him. I always walk around the blind and inspect it before heading up the ladder in the off season. Also heard of illegals busting out blinds before daylight when guys pull up to get in it. Empty shell casings that don't match mine or someone who I knew was last in the blind are a major suprise. bang

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: stxranchman] #2364124 06/11/11 04:44 PM
S
SATX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
So far I've been lucky, but I think it's mainly because my lease is only 20 minutes from the house and I'm out there all the time.

Three of these are the only things I've had to deal with in my blinds.

Last June I was hog hunting at night and it was hot as all get out. The slightest bit of a breeze picked up, so I grabbed the blind window to scoot my chair closer to the opening so I could get some air on my face and something ran over the top of my hand.

Had a flashlight clipped to the brim of my hat and turned it on. It completely startled a scorpion that had just run over me, casuing to dash around back and forth about 10 inches from my face. It startled the crud out of me causing me to push myself backward, that broke the back leg on my plastic chair and I tumbled out of the blind through the door I left ajar to get some air moving around. By the time I got up, he was gone.

Fast forward a week and I'm hog hunting again. I have a problem staying up all night and will usually doze off until I hear hogs under the feeder. Didn't see any hogs that night so as I am getting ready to leave, I open the door and sitting right inside the door jamb was that darn scorpion. He wasn't 4 inches away from where I head been leaning my head back against the wall.

Went out and bought some sticky traps made just for scorpions and have napped peacefully ever since..... sleep2

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: stxranchman] #2364134 06/11/11 04:52 PM
W
webe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
These stories will be great. I went up the crazy tallest blind ever, skinny ladder 21 feet to eye level with the floor, the only way to open the door is to hang out with one hand, just fingertips, and swing the door into your face and duck in the early morning darkness. In one heart beat the blind rattles and bangs this stinking Ring Tail is on my head and launches to the ground. Took my cap with him. Good thing, cause I had to go down and check my britches anyway.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: webe] #2364390 06/11/11 08:12 PM
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Ring tail cat in the dark, those are nasty critters

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: jim1961] #2364639 06/11/11 10:56 PM
C
Csddarden Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
One of the first times I ever sat on stand by myself (10 or 11) - someone left the blind open and there was a turkey in there to greet me. And turkey crap everywhere.

4 or 5 years ago... one .280 brass... don't even know anyone with a .280...

Last season - got into one of my blinds one morning and proceeded to kill all the yellow-jackets (always in there no matter how much you seal it up). Daylight comes and I look down and there's 15 or so of them sleepin on my leg. Went from falling asleep to wide awake in seconds.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Csddarden] #2364660 06/11/11 11:15 PM
T
t george Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
baby owls... 4 of them... eye to eye and beak nose... talk about a 5:30 a.m. wake up

learn something new everyday and you will have never wasted a day.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: t george] #2365672 06/12/11 05:27 PM
H
HogBranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Sitting in a tripod blind on a ridge before dawn about half sleeping when an owl tryed to land on my head. Wide awake after that!

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: HogBranch] #2365699 06/12/11 05:40 PM
M
murph Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Not in a blind but one morning in a tree stand about 25 ft up on the Brazos bottom I was blissfully enjoying first light on a cold still morning when a thunderous hammering noise just above me rattled out. Turned out it was a pileated woodpecker looking for his breakfast.

[Linked Image]
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: HogBranch] #2365704 06/12/11 05:41 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
once i had made a ground blind and just had a milk crate to set on. i got in one morning and about 5 minutes after daylight i start hearing something. the sound was the oh to familier sound of a rattle snake. some how he had gotten under that milk crate. i just went back to camp after i killed him. the bad part is i had been sitting on top of that thing for over 45 minutes! that was scary!

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: t george] #2365734 06/12/11 06:08 PM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Well this wasn't in a blind but it happened while hunting...

The Toilet Monster

I was elk hunting in Montana about 25 years ago staying in an old miners cabin built in the 1920's. Well, after supper one night it was time for the daily constitutional. I grabbed the Coleman lantern and headed out into the minus ten degree temperature to the outhouse.

I got to the outhouse and set the lantern down on the bench of the one holer, and proceded to lower my coveralls, my jeans, my longjohns and my drawers. Once this was all sufficiently out of the way I opened up the lid to the sitter and out jumps this black hairy thing. It knocks over the lantern and commences to running in circles around inside the outhouse (the door is shut) so fast I can't tell what it is. I'm spinning around with all my clothes dropped below my knees trying to figure this thing out. I just knew for sure the Toilet Monster was going to get me. Mom always said "Don't spend so much time in the bathroom or the Toilet Monster will get you." I thought she was kidding.

It's spinning, I'm spinning, the lanterns on the floor... Well it didn't take long to figure that one of us has to get out of here. I got the door open and out it ran. Contrary to the popular reasoning being scared did not help with my daily constitutional but had the exact opposite effect. You might say I was scared xxxxless.

I pulled everything back up, grabbed the lantern off the floor and headed back to the cabin. They all said I looked like I had seen a ghost. I may have, I still didn't know what it was. It took two more hours before the need to go back out there overcame my lack of courage. I grabbed the lantern and my Ruger Single Six and went back to an uneventful but hurried constitutional.

The next day I discoverd a hole had been dug under the side of the outhouse allowing access. I guess when it is 10 below even a xxxxhole adds comfort. Later that day I found who the culprit was. I saw a black cat hanging around the cabin. This cabin is on 27 acres of private land surrounded by the National Forest and the city folks come out to the NF and let their cats loose when they don't know what to do with them. So it was a Feral Cat that caused all the commotion. To this day the first thing I do when I go in an outhouse is open the lid and check inside.

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: gogburn] #2365857 06/12/11 07:36 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
clap roflmao

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: stxranchman] #2366288 06/13/11 12:26 AM
Jeff Williams Outdoors Offline
Tracker
Tracker
happy3

Jeff Williams Outdoors
www.Bowhunter1.com
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Jeff Williams Outdoors] #2366292 06/13/11 12:28 AM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
coons

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: pokerj2] #2366458 06/13/11 01:47 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Made the mistake of climbing in a blind that my BIL had on the place a few years ago before dark without checking it out. There was just enough light to see without needing a flashlight, so I got set down and opened the windows to wait. It got a little unpleasant when it got light enough to see inside the blind and I could see the 25+ Black Widows that I had for company. Them SOB's were everywhere. After a hurried cleanout of the blind and my shorts, I ended up bagging a real nice doe.

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: toolman] #2366544 06/13/11 02:13 AM
L
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Jumped in.................Heard noises..............flashlight out and one of the biggest coons I had ever seen.........deer started showing up so I enjoyed his company for the next hour.............Damm.........ever have to sit in a room with someone you can't git along with?????????

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Lotto] #2366949 06/13/11 06:54 AM
H
Hill Country Hunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
A few for me:

About 20 years ago I was hunting Gus Engeling WMA. Sitting in an open roof ground blind one morning I just happened to catch movement in the air. It was an owl coming to close for comfort. I waved it off just in time. wtf

About 15 years ago hunting Chapparal WMA I had an encounter with a "drive by" javelina as I was walking from a tower stand. At least I gave it a decent FG attempt. taz

The same year I was hunting Daughtrey WMA. Afte walking a while I decided to take a mid day snooze against a tree. Pleasant day; sunny and in the 50's. As soon as I got situated in the temporary ground blind/motel a big boar hog came out of the brush about io yards. Enough time to chamber the 6mm and say hello. He went down after about 50 yards. rifle

I was on a lease one year near Cleveland. One morning I was using a lean-to ladder stand. Before sunrise I had a squirrel run across me including my face. eek2

This time my blind was a boat. I was on my first gator hunt at Murphree WMA about 1988. I was volunteered to run the lines the morning of the hunt. I was running the first line and it was covered with all sorts of weeds. After 30+ minutes and getting careless with pulling weeds I happened to get to a weed covered head of an angry alligator. We had a hand to eyes greeting. At that moment every word that is censored is spoken in loud outbursts. It may have been almost 7 feet long but to me I had a nile croc. I had to grab it's front leg to stop it from spinning so my Dad could snare the mouth shut. Then we dragged it up to a levee/berm for a 12 gauge dose of nighty night. rifle

Sort of blind related.

Last edited by Love The Hill Country; 06/13/11 07:03 AM.

Psalm 3:3 - But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: pokerj2] #2367037 06/13/11 12:52 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Last season I was already in the blind and had opened the window prior to sunrise. Heard something land on the roof - no biggie, probably just a simple bird.

Then this enormous, bright-white owl (at least his huge face sporting firey eyes and a razor sharp beak) comes halfway through one of the windows.

I shrieked like a little girl at the top of my lungs and tried to beat it back out the window. Dang thing really wanted in.

I finally convinced it to fly away, but I was certain my eyeballs were going to be a thing of the past. Once I settled down I saw that I had a dozen or so text messages from my hunting buddies asking who had been murdered. One guy that heard me yell was over half a mile away. Yeah, I was loud.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: cameron00] #2367038 06/13/11 12:52 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I didn't see or shoot anything that morning, by the way.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: cameron00] #2367114 06/13/11 01:46 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
i was sitting on the groung aganist a tree one morning bow hunting. i had a squirrel chattering and running up and down the tree next to me. he finally got quiet and a few minutes later i heard him or what i thought was him rustling the leaves right behind me. I turned around and it wasnt the squirrel but a bobcat seriuosly just on the other side of a 8 inch diameter tree looking right back at me. we looked at each other for a good 5 seconds until i tried to move my foot and he took off. wasnt a good feeling for a minute.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: txhunter1010] #2367189 06/13/11 02:42 PM
D
DiverTexas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Have had bats, owls and a ringtail all scare the heck out of me.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: DiverTexas] #2367298 06/13/11 03:52 PM
P
Perry Outdoors Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
The usual snakes spiders and wasps. One year we had a stand and we thought it would be a good idea to seal of the craks with old corn bags. Well Our bright idea turned into a nice warm home for a rat the size of a cat. I was hunting one evening and here this huge rat came out of the side of the blind. Scared the mess out of me.

Re: Share Surprises You Have Found In Your Blinds - This should be interesting [Re: Perry Outdoors] #2367559 06/13/11 06:44 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
surprised there aren't more rattlesnake stories in ground blinds.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide