Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
Got this e-mail from the regional NRCS guy,

Thought that I would pass it along:

Quote:
To: Interested Fannin County Area Residents

Subject: Fannin Soil & Water Conservation and USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service Events

EVENT 1:

This coming weekend (May 13 & 14) is a great time to complete the Fannin County Quail Count.

I suggest a meeting on Friday, May 13 at 6:30pm at Victor's Italian Restaurant on the West side of the Courthouse square. There I can give out packets of information on how to do the count and the record keeping involved.

On Saturday morning at sunrise (6:30am), teams will start collecting quail counts for the survey. Those involved in the count can bring their results to my office at their convenience or to the Master Naturalist meeting on Thursday. The count will take an hour to an hour and a half. The meeting on Friday night will take 20-30 minutes. You can eat if you would like as I will. It is great food.

I have 17 different routes, 5 miles long, where you will stop at each mile (6 times) to record quail calls. It is usually best to have two people per route. I encourage you to bring your children or grand children to help with the quail count ( their hearing is really good and it is very educational!).

I need everyone that is available to help. 17 x 2 = 34 individuals!

EVENT 2:

Fishpond Seminar, June 14, Noble Foundation in Ardmore, OK.
The Fannin Soil & Water Conservation District has chartered a bus to Ardmore, Oklahoma. It will be leaving at 9:15am and returning approximately 9pm. We will meet at the parking lot beside McDonalds. We will eat lunch at the Noble Foundation. The lunch and bus are courtesy of the Fannin SWCD made possible with a grant from the Lennox Foundation.
The Noble Foundation is charging a fee of $20 for the fisheries workshop which includes supper; you will pay this at the Noble Foundation. The pond management workshop will cover designing a pond, stocking fish and keeping the water quality healthy. The event will include classroom instruction and a pond tour.

Event 3:

JULY 19 - 20, CONSERVATION TEACHERS WORKSHOP, July 19, 9:00am -9:00pm, July 20, 8am - 1:30pm.
This will be held at the Red River Farm and Duck Club, Telephone, TX. All teachers are invited to participate in a 16 hour workshop. Subjects that will be covered include Management of Forestry, Wild Turkey, Wetland, Fisheries, Range, Whitetail Deer and Bobwhite Quail; Soil erosion, watershed management, soils and geology. The Fannin SWCD will furnish the meals and there will be lodging for 30.

If you are interested you can contact the Bonham NRCS office or pm me and I can give you their number (I didn't want to give out his cell phone or phone number) smile

I am looking at doing the July 19/20 one... smile

J.J.

Looking for a Deer, Dove, Duck, Crow, Goose, Hog, or Turkey Hunt? Check us out! www.kentoutdoors.com

Re: Fannin county and Area around...Seminars [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #2332770 05/25/11 05:49 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Are there any quail left in Fannin county? I know that back in the days there was some good quail hunting up there. I have not seen or heard a quail up there in 5+ years.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Fannin county and Area around...Seminars [Re: Stump_jumper] #2333000 05/25/11 07:36 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I duck hunted up on the Red river north of Telephone, TX, in the late 60's. We jumped one covey of quail in three years of duck hunting, but found pleanty of mallards. Here are a few;

Last edited by bill oxner; 05/25/11 11:36 PM.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Fannin county and Area around...Seminars [Re: bill oxner] #2333417 05/25/11 10:44 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I knew a great mother daughter team up there in the late sixties, unfortunately I cannot post pictures because**************

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Fannin county and Area around...Seminars [Re: bill oxner] #2333614 05/26/11 12:17 AM
P
poopypants Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I duck hunted up on the Red river north of Telephone, TX, in the late 60's. We jumped one covey of quail in three years of duck hunting, but found pleanty of mallards. Here are a few;

Me and a couple of old coots had a duck lease not far from where old Bill was a huntin. One day we was up there and seen something I never forgot. Every time a bunch of ducks was coming in two or three would just fall out of the sky before they was in range and the rest would flair off like the seen a ghost. Well one of my buddies had all he could take and crawled out of the blind and over to where the birds was a fallin.

He came back a breathin hard and full of a story that was downright fanciful. He told of a strange young man that was a laying in the reeds bout 50 yards out and was taken our ducks and without a gun. Said the boy was a staring them down. Now that didn’t make no kind of sense to this old Kansas boy so I went to take a look for myself.

Sure enough he was a maken a terrible face and the boy had a real strange look in his eyes and a staring at those birds and they was a fallen in short order. Every time one fell his wife was out there bring back to his place in the reeds and he had quite a pile of meat there next to him and the little lady. I could not believe what I was a seein. I asked him where he learned how it’s done that away and he just said it come down in his family and his wife agreed. She seemed put off a bit so I asked her if she had the same type of duck hunting skills as her husband and she was quick to answer with “I should say so” and broke out in the weirdest dang smile. So I asked the next question in line to her husband. Could we see the misses bring a few down as the ducks where still comin in in numbers and I wanted to see this up close again. “Heck no” he said with some emphasis. Why? I asked. “Cause she better than me but she tares em up to bad”

Well I didn’t get to see her at work and I guess if your eatin em you don’t want em tore up. But here’s the kicker, went back to that lease hunt for years and never saw the old boy and his wife again. But you know today I just a smilin at how wonderful this dang interweb thing cause sure enough I’m lookin at a picture of that old boy. Billy, where the sam hill you been boy……………………………………………………

Re: Fannin county and Area around...Seminars [Re: poopypants] #2333696 05/26/11 12:43 AM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
rofl..............welcome back poopy

Re: Fannin county and Area around...Seminars [Re: westtex75] #2334435 05/26/11 01:04 PM
C
CSF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I thoroughly enjoy reading poopypants

Re: Fannin county and Area around...Seminars [Re: CSF] #2334983 05/26/11 05:44 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
sounds about right to me.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Fannin county and Area around...Seminars [Re: reeltexan] #2339185 05/29/11 12:16 AM
B
beatarmy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I've run my dog on public land in fannin county. Never seen any quail. Seen some wabbits and the occasional woodcock. I've hunted dove and ducks there too, not because the hunting is great but because its close to the metroplex. Recently I've been fishing in the small lakes I used to duck hunt. If I dont get a lease this year I'll probably run the dog there again.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide