Print Thread
Ironman or Dumbs--t??? - You decide. #2332552 05/25/11 04:07 PM
H
High Country Archer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Went out during last nights storms with J.J. (Kent Outdoors)to hunt pigs which was real bad (weather - not hunt) and now I have to pass along my story.

Started out with moderate winds but clear skies for the first hour which was pleasent seeing how I was sitting on an open tripod stand. Then the first storm magically appeared with strong winds and heavy rain but with the rain poncho in my pack, I would be alright. Where the h-ll is my poncho? Answer - in the truck. Find a sturdy oak tree with a cedar mixed in and crawl under for partial shelter to wait out the heaviest rain. Get a slight break in the intensity so make a break for the truck which is 600 yards away but dry inside to wait out the rest of the storm. Weather breaks and it is getting close to dusk so I grab my poncho and make the 1000 yard trek back to the stand and hope something shows. See some deer but no pigs in the 20 minutes before the next storm hits. Slight rain starts so I don my poncho to wait it out. One minute later the 80 mph wind, 1 - 4" per hour rain and approaching lighting drives me back to my cedar tree which becomes 'home sweet home' for the next 45 minutes of extremelly intense weather. Watch the tops of the trees bend over to touch the ground and sit in amazement in how they bend but don't break. Never mind, they are starting to break with the severe wind gusts now happenning but they soon die down and the rain begins to stop so back in the stand I go to kill me a pig. Sitting there I am amazed I can see the field surprisingly well for close to 10:00pm. How you ask? Had something to do with the upper atmosphere lightning storm going on a 1/2 mile south of me. Did I mention the tripod was made of metal??? I start remembering that it's not a good idea to be outside during these so pack up all my stuff and decide to head for the truck again. As I am making the 1,800 yard trek back to the truck (carrying a gun over the shoulder, a bow in hand and six arrows (think mini lighting rods)strapped to my hip) I start thinking of all the neat stuff my wife can buy with the insurance money she is about to collect on my toasted a--.

I finally make it back to my truck with my legs and lungs burning after trudging through the mud and water puddles and give J.J. a call to let him know that I am still alive - barely. He let's me know that I am the last hunter in and suggests I pack it in and try another day (could not have agreed more).

So now to the question posed in the Subject Line. Would you consider me an Ironman for enduring as much as I did for as long as I did OR just a Dumbs--t for not having enough sense to get out of the storms's rath? I know what my opinion would be (same as the wifes by the way). Please be nice because I am a "sensitive guy" and after last night, my mind is a little fragile right now.

Hope you enjoyed my story. I can't wait for my next time out!!!

If you ain't hunting, you ain't living right.
Re: Ironman or Dumbs--t??? - You decide. [Re: High Country Archer] #2332563 05/25/11 04:13 PM
J
JimmyG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
You are a patriot!
But my Grand Daddy would tell you "A chicken has enought sense to get out of the rain"

Re: Ironman or Dumbs--t??? - You decide. [Re: JimmyG] #2332629 05/25/11 04:50 PM
W
WhiskeyandMe Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Well, I will say this...

If this was "Survivor" you won! up

I guess the "disclaimer" is that no one was in danger, but there was some pretty stressful moments in that two hour window frame...

All of us thought that the storms were going to roll through and we would have stars to look at for the rest of the hunt, (just get through a little rain)...

Goodness gracious!!!! Little rain my butt! We got a down pour!

The worst part is right as all the pigs started moving and coming into the feeders the wall of rain hit all the hunters!! scared

I had 8 hunters out and all but 2 had pigs coming in on them...

several quotes were "I heard them, and they were coming in, it sounded like a frieght train!! If only the rain had held off for a few more minutes!!"

Man, we were set up to have a hog smackdown if the weather had only cooperated! confused2

Oh, well that is hunting and no one got hurt!

Ron, FYI, Ed and I headed over to the property you were hunting to lock the gate, and we decided to take a walk with the night vision stuff, and came across a 200 pound boar in the field, (only 50 +/- yards from the tripod)...Ed fired a shot off at it, but missed. rofl

(I'll pull game came pics today and let you know what showed up after you left) grin

Look forward to seein' you next week when we try this again! up

J.J.

Looking for a Deer, Dove, Duck, Crow, Goose, Hog, or Turkey Hunt? Check us out! www.kentoutdoors.com

Re: Ironman or Dumbs--t??? - You decide. [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #2332755 05/25/11 05:42 PM
H
High Country Archer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
J.J.

Your right in the fact that I never felt like I was in any danger and no one, including myself, could have predicted how much rain was going to fall. It was just funny when I told buddies or co-workers about last night how each of them looked at me like I was "plum nutts" for going through that yet still telling them how much I enjoyed it. I guess you have to be a little wacko to enjoy hunting pigs so thought I would share my story with other pig hunters who could probabally relate. hammer

Yeah, I do believe that if the rain would have cooperated the lead would have been flying and the pigs would be dieing. rifle You do have a great set up and was impressed with your operations. Will spread the word to all my slightly wacko friends for sure.

Hate to hear that Ed missed that pig so I could have a chance of killing him next week. As nice a guy as he seemed to be, I am sure that was what he was thinking. woot

Ron

If you ain't hunting, you ain't living right.
Re: Ironman or Dumbs--t??? - You decide. [Re: High Country Archer] #2333362 05/25/11 10:17 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Man guys this BLOWS, I was looking forward to Ed's video on this hunt. In fact last night as I watched my cars get beat to h(ll by golf ball size hail stones I wondered how your hunt was going to go.

Let me know when the reschedule is going to be for the filming I may be onboard on the next one for that "intro price" smile

Oh and OP, to answer your question. Live to Fight another Day Brutha ! Meaning your lucky we aren't talking about how great of a guy/husband you were... That was some serious storms last night and the lightning strike counts were off the chart.

BB

Re: Ironman or Dumbs--t??? - You decide. [Re: HuntTXhogs] #2333527 05/25/11 11:40 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
awesome. sounds like fun. one of those things that turns out to be fun once its over and your safe at home.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Ironman or Dumbs--t??? - You decide. [Re: TAT] #2333665 05/26/11 12:31 AM
T
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Ed and I were tree stands trying to get some good "kill shot" footage and I turned to him while it was pouring down, and we both just busted out laughing.. That was one of the best hunts I've ever had where I didn't pull the trigger once!

See you all next week!

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Re: Ironman or Dumbs--t??? - You decide. [Re: T Bone] #2334264 05/26/11 05:18 AM
S
sbvx67 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I think I may have done the same thing. I don't get to hunt often so when the oportunity is available I will make the best of it. Want to be friends? cheers

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide