Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,022
Posts9,719,501
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Need Your Ingenuity - Tree Stand Ladder Support Ideas #2293112 05/06/11 02:51 AM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
First I don’t have a welder nor do I know anyone with one so welding is not an option for this task. I also do not want to pay a fabricator to weld metal. I am looking for something that I can make or fab up myself for as little money as possible. I know you guys can hook me up - the ideas and stuff I have seen on here are amazing. NO SAFETY WARNING POSTS PLEASE. I know we care about each other but I wear a harness and fall arrester and am the only one up there. I am a small guy and weight is not an issue. So its all good. So here is what I have gotten myself into:
Essentially I have parted out a third ladder stand to give me some additional height on the other two stands. My new extended ladders are 20ft. from ground to bottom of platform. I only have two of the metal support bars and one is a piece of junk. I need to fab up something either out of pvc?? or 2 x 4s to act as support bars between the ladder and tree. The length of the ladder (since it is in sections) will bow in significantly without supports and one will not be enough.
I saw a post somewhere where a person described making the support bar out of pvc - using two pieces about 4 ft long each with holes drilled in each – one would fit inside the other and the holes would serve as adjustment points with pins so you could adjust length of support bar. On one end of each piece of pvc would be a 90 degree “T”. You would cut a notch in one of the “T”s so it would fit around a rung of the ladder and you would use hose clamps to tighten it down to prevent rung from slipping out of the “T”. On the other pice of pvc is the other “T”. This “T” would go against the tree and you would slip a ratchet strap through it to secure the support bar to the tree.
Does this sound “doable”???? Seems like you would have to be using some pretty thick pvc for it to remain stable and not flex.
The other idea I had was to notch the ends of 2 x 4 s to fit in the rung of the ladder and put an Ibolt on the other end of the 2x to act as a ratchet strap attachment point. I would then somehow secur the 2x to a rung of the ladder and then run the 2x up down the tree until it straightens out the ladder and then secure the 2x with the strap. That method just seems like a pain and not sure hot to get a “V” or attach a V to the tree end of the 2x to make it stay. Worst case is I would screw the 2x into the tree with a lag bolt but I hate drilling into trees – but it would only ne in there for about 4 months???

Another option is figuring out a way to "stiffen" up the ladder. Like somehow securinga 16' foot 2X upright against the center of the rungs so that it cannot bow in???

I would still use a support bar but at least the ladder would be stiffer and flex less???

What do yall think or suggest?

Last edited by Bonner; 05/06/11 03:07 AM.
Re: Need Your Ingenuity - Tree Stand Ladder Support Ideas [Re: Bonner] #2293337 05/06/11 03:56 AM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I agree the PVC might flex too much. How far is the distance between the tree and the ladder where you need the brace?

If you used a 2X4 you could cut a U shape out of the end and just run a 4" bolt through it top to bottom to secure it after you put the U around the ladder step. You would probably be better off securing the tree end with a strap that you could adjust as everything settles than to just bolt it to the tree.

You may still need to stiffen up the ladder. You could use U bolts to secure a 16' 2X to every other step, or use one 2X on each vertical and you would still have plenty of room for your boots on the rungs. You could also use a long piece of heavy angle iron and use self tapping screws to secure it to the ladder rails.

Be careful.

Legal Disclaimer: I don't have a clue what I am talking about and I sure as heck did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Need Your Ingenuity - Tree Stand Ladder Support Ideas [Re: gogburn] #2296533 05/08/11 01:16 AM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I figured it out. Made a cable truss system similiar to the way one of the ladderstand manufacturers make. Made a fulcrum out 2x4s. Attached it firmly in center of back of ladder. ran cable from first rung attached with eyebolt through eyebolt on top of fulcrum and then attach to last rund of ladder attached to another eyebolt. I had turnbuckles one both ends of cable to get it snug. Both ends of ladder about 12" off ground (has a slight reverse bow out). When you stand it up it starightens out and works like a champ. Now off to the lease to put it to real test.

Re: Need Your Ingenuity - Tree Stand Ladder Support Ideas [Re: Bonner] #2320003 05/19/11 03:42 PM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
How did that work out for you?

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Need Your Ingenuity - Tree Stand Ladder Support Ideas [Re: gogburn] #2363672 06/11/11 04:00 AM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Will find out Sunday.

Re: Need Your Ingenuity - Tree Stand Ladder Support Ideas [Re: Bonner] #2363758 06/11/11 06:07 AM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Be sure to take pictures. smile

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Need Your Ingenuity - Tree Stand Ladder Support Ideas [Re: gogburn] #2364014 06/11/11 03:06 PM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I definitely will post pics of truss system and of the stand itself that is modified.

I am pretty impressed with what I came up with. It is a modified, improved and more heavy duty truss system than another manufactured solution thats out there for ladder stands in the 20+ feet range. This project started with an inexpensive 14' ladder stand (17' to shooting rail) from Sportsmanguide with the rotating chair in the center and a surround shooting rail. It was about a 30" square box if you will (but without walls etc). As usual, everything I buy needs tweaking to suit my needs.

Well after I got through with mods, it is now 21' to floor, 24' to shooting rail, has a 3/4" plywood floor that measures 36 x 44, walls skinned with 1/8" wood floor underlayment, small office chair, and an attached modified roof that I bought online that was an aftermarket roof for treestands - the kind you mount to a tree. I took off the canvas and instead put 3/8 inch plywood roof on it with 8" cedar boards that serve as facia. The roof can be raised and lowered to prevent rain and animals from getting in. I weigh about 170 so the added weight of the mods really wont be a factor (especially with the truss system). Everything (walls and roof) are modular so I can attach one piece at a time and the same at the end of the season when it needs to come down.

only thing that sucks about ladder stands - is standing them up and getting them level while getting it all secured. Seem slike when you get it level and then start tightening straps etc it throws everything off. This one will be especially interesting because of its height - especially when its just one man. I use a block and cheater pulley system to raise ladder stands. This year I will be up in a tree about 30' to get the pulley up high enough to raise it to attachment points. will be using a harness for ceratin on this endeavor.

Will post some pics tomorrow night if all goes as planned tomorrow morning.

Re: Need Your Ingenuity - Tree Stand Ladder Support Ideas [Re: Bonner] #2387692 06/24/11 07:48 AM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Pics?

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Need Your Ingenuity - Tree Stand Ladder Support Ideas [Re: gogburn] #2389223 06/25/11 01:08 AM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: gogburn
Pics?

Gary - putting it up tomorrow. Had stuff come up every weekend since the last post. Will definitely post pics

Re: Need Your Ingenuity - Tree Stand Ladder Support Ideas [Re: gogburn] #2391027 06/26/11 02:46 AM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
gary - check out the separate post on this thread for pics. the stand is not completed but will post more after next weekend - god willing I get it finished then. taking a bit longer than i envisioned.

Originally Posted By: gogburn
Pics?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide