Page 1 of 2 1 2
Heartworm medicine!!! #2275792 04/28/11 03:37 AM
M
Mickey Phelan Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
My dog just took his last chewable heartworm medicine, and I am now looking for a cheaper place to get it than through the vet. Where are some cheaper places to order it? I love him like a son, and will not stop giving him whatever he needs to keep him healthy, but am looking for a cheaper place to get his meds...He is a 70 pound chocolate lab male. 3 years old, let me know what ya'll got thanks guys!

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Mickey Phelan] #2275856 04/28/11 04:08 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I use Ivermectin for livestock, but you absolutely MUST know what you are doing... the wrong dosage or the wrong breed and it can be deadly.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2275883 04/28/11 04:19 AM
M
Mickey Phelan Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
I use Ivermectin for livestock, but you absolutely MUST know what you are doing... the wrong dosage or the wrong breed and it can be deadly.

Yea I have heard of a few other people using this, but it makes me nervous and would rather spend the extra change on the usre thing than put my boy in danger or harm's way to save me a bit of money...

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Mickey Phelan] #2275887 04/28/11 04:22 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Interceptor here.

[Linked Image]

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Fooshman] #2276256 04/28/11 12:33 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Ivermectin. 1/10th of a c.c. per 10lbs of dog. Not rocket science, but you do need to get it right. I have been using it on 7 dogs for several years now with no problems. After I get the dosage in the syringe, then I suck up some water to mix with it a little & shoot it on the back of their tongue.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2276270 04/28/11 12:42 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I use the same dosage as CC, on a piece of buttered bread. I've used it for 19 years.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: bill oxner] #2276283 04/28/11 12:50 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
The bread is a good idea, I may steal that from you. I have always mixed it with water to help make it not so bitter but the bread idea is great, my dogs love bread.

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2276420 04/28/11 01:58 PM
C
Chaseh Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Heartguard is expensive, but it works. They have had a generic version around the last few years called Iverheart. Ask for it, as its about half price, marketed specifically to your pup, and available through your veterinarian.

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Fooshman] #2276435 04/28/11 02:04 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Interceptor here.

Me too, bought from the vet.

The two house dogs get Sentinal (sp?) but it is a flea/worm combo and it is anything but cheap wink

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: bill oxner] #2276464 04/28/11 02:17 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I use the same dosage as CC, on a piece of buttered bread. I've used it for 19 years.

Same here on the dosage for our Labs. Instead of buttered bread we use cream cheese. We use a 70% concentration on our Anatolians because they are prone to a reaction (but none have ever had one.) I always give that warning/disclaimer whenever I mention my use of livestock ivermectin, so people understand that they have to be precise.

With between 20-30 dogs in the kennels which on the average, weigh around 75lbs, a 500 mL bottle of Noromectin for $93 gives us an average of 650 doses. If every dog got an Iverhart tab instead, we'd be spending close to $2,700.00 for the same protection.

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2276804 04/28/11 05:20 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Same here on the dosage for our Labs. Instead of buttered bread we use cream cheese. We use a 70% concentration on our Anatolians because they are prone to a reaction (but none have ever had one.) I always give that warning/disclaimer whenever I mention my use of livestock ivermectin, so people understand that they have to be precise.

With between 20-30 dogs in the kennels which on the average, weigh around 75lbs, a 500 mL bottle of Noromectin for $93 gives us an average of 650 doses. If every dog got an Iverhart tab instead, we'd be spending close to $2,700.00 for the same protection.

Thats what I'm talkin bout. I buy the $30 - $40 bottle & it last me about two years treating 7 dogs. No other option for me except get rid of some dogs. And we all know that aint gonna happen. smile

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2277562 04/29/11 12:10 AM
W
webstertroy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
ivermectin will kill the heartworm larva, It is also one of the mane ingredeants in heartgard.. heartworm prevention only kills the babys. If your dog has adults those meds wont do anything... have to get the heartworm treatment whitch means lots of bucks none less than 200 bucks...

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: webstertroy] #2278688 04/29/11 01:22 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We have this question on here every few months. No one has ever reported any adverse reactions, or lack of protection. Yet we still have our skeptics. I've gone to the generic Ivermectin. It's called Noromectin. It's $28 for 50 ml.

You can also use it externally for ear mites and mange.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: bill oxner] #2278694 04/29/11 01:24 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
We have this question on here every few months. No one has ever reported any adverse reactions, or lack of protection. Yet we still have our skeptics. I've gone to the generic Ivermectin. It's called Noromectin. It's $28 for 50 ml.

You can also use it externally for ear mites and mange.

Yep, same stuff I use! I just order a very large bottle (500 mL) cuz we have so many dogs - not to mention livestock.

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2278757 04/29/11 01:51 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Same here, and I agree Bill, as long as your not talking herding breeds or fufu dogs, it makes no sense to waste money on the heartguard. IT'S THE SAME DANG THING!!! Everyone likes to say, but heartguard will pay for the treatment if your dog gets heartworms while on it, I can tell you that's B.S. unless your vet has actually applied the heartguard his or her self, you cannot prove that you gave them heartguard at the right times & they aint paying Jack diddly squat. Not only that, I will never let them treat another one of mine for heartworms (hopefully I wont ever need it again).

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2279063 04/29/11 04:04 PM
W
webstertroy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
I ahve seen about 300 dogs go threw heartworm treatment in the 4 years I have worked at a shelter and only 1 didnt make it threw it. Ivermectin will treat mange but you have to know what kind of mange. and as for ear mite it depends on how much you use only 1drop per ear on cats and 3 drops for big dog and you usualy mix it with mineral oil so it stays in and cant be shaken out. Ivermectin only will kill the baby heartworms. amedisice is the meds used to kill the adults in the hwt

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: webstertroy] #2279122 04/29/11 04:38 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
We took in a stray that tested a very strong positive for heartworm. No way I was going to fork out the money for the treatment, but I figured I'd do what I could to give the dog a chance. Figuring there would be a ton of microfilaria in her system and that ivermectin would cause a severe reaction, I put her on Revolution. After about three years of revolution, I figured the mircofilaria would have died off and the adults would be sterilized (one effect of the ivermectin.) So, I began doses of ivermectin. Dog's been here going on 7 years, now...

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2279137 04/29/11 04:46 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
This was from my vet regarding heartguard/herding dogs:

Thank you for the clarification. I was able to discuss this with Dr. , our senior associate veterinarian, and he was able to provide some insight regarding your concern that hopefully should clarify the potential risks of using Heartguard and the Ivermectin drug found in Heartguard. One thing you will notice on the Heartguard Green box ( for 26 – 50 pound dogs) is that they have a herding dog on the box because this used to be a major concern a number of years ago. In the beginning of the article you linked, it states “ In the past 20 years, many herding dogs have died…” which is accurate in that there were more issues evident years ago when a much higher concentrated “cattle grade” ivermectin was used to treat for heartworms. That higher, more concentrated dosage can cause the side effects and enhance risk as outlined in the article. Heartguard’s formula, and all other credible products on the market today, use a very safe low concentration amount of Ivermectin that has been proven safe in herding dogs. I will also point out that in the article, under “ What happens when dogs with the MDR1 gene take drugs they should avoid?” where it discusses ivermectin, they are discussing the application of using Ivermectin to treat mange as opposed to heartworms, which requires a stronger dose thus leading to those potential side effects. To summarize, Dr. is very confident in the safety of prescribing Heartguard to herding breeds, whether full or mixed, because of the proven safety and track record of the lower, less concentrated ivermectin dosage used in Heartworm medications today. He mentioned that he personally has never been presented with these issues on any patient using Heartguard since they moved to the current formula years ago.
I hope this clarifies the issue and eases your concerns, if you still have further questions or are uneasy, I would be happy to have a doctor discuss the issue with you by phone.

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Justin T] #2279190 04/29/11 05:14 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
In line with discussing the concern about the safety using injectable ivermectin (given orally), I would submit that I have one Pointer who exhibits symptoms of red mange or demodex if I don't give him a daily dose of 1 cc of injectable ivermectin...now that is a lot. That means that through the course of a month, he gets about 60 times what other members of my kennel get. This has been going on for several years and I haven't killed him yet!
Keeps him lookin good..and he's still a hardheaded bird finding fool.

Last edited by Pointer; 04/29/11 05:18 PM.
Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Pointer] #2279416 04/29/11 06:49 PM
J
jkrugby Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I used the 1/10th dosage ,but bought some 1 cc syringes so I could be very precise. I gave them to all my Brittanys, springers and even my Mom's 3 toy poodles for yrs. I would go by a dozen donut holes for $.99 and inject the donut holes. The dogs loved the bite sized treats. Heck, my brother came and scarfed one up once and we had to call poison control to make sure it would be fine. HaHa

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: jkrugby] #2279425 04/29/11 06:51 PM
J
jkrugby Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
BTW pointer, if I rememeber correctly from my days in the vet clinic, too much ivermectin can cause kidney failure. Not sure, my memory might be going, but i would check with a vet.

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: jkrugby] #2279499 04/29/11 07:27 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: jkrugby
BTW pointer, if I rememeber correctly from my days in the vet clinic, too much ivermectin can cause kidney failure. Not sure, my memory might be going, but i would check with a vet.

My Texas Aggie vet whom I have used for years and who has pulled off at least two miracles of medicine for me and my dogs in the past is who came up with this. My point was not to promote overdosing dogs indiscriminately, but to demonstrate the safety of the 1/10 cc per 10 lb monthly dosage for dogs that are not of herding breeds. I do appreciate your concern.

Last edited by Pointer; 04/29/11 07:33 PM.
Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: jkrugby] #2279722 04/29/11 09:45 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I used the 1/10th dosage ,but bought some 1 cc syringes so I could be very precise. I gave them to all my Brittanys, springers and even my Mom's 3 toy poodles for yrs. I would go by a dozen donut holes for $.99 and inject the donut holes. The dogs loved the bite sized treats. Heck, my brother came and scarfed one up once and we had to call poison control to make sure it would be fine. HaHa

So your bro is heartworm free for the time being, eh? roflmao

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: Pointer] #2286229 05/03/11 02:25 AM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Pointer

My Texas Aggie vet whom I have used for years and who has pulled off at least two miracles of medicine for me and my dogs in the past is who came up with this. My point was not to promote overdosing dogs indiscriminately, but to demonstrate the safety of the 1/10 cc per 10 lb monthly dosage for dogs that are not of herding breeds. I do appreciate your concern.

My A&M vet gave me a dosage amount of .01 cc per 10lb. That's 1/100cc.

Re: Heartworm medicine!!! [Re: 68rustbucket] #2286399 05/03/11 03:31 AM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
68rustbucket wrote:
My A&M vet gave me a dosage amount of .01 cc per 10lb. That's 1/100cc.

I am not going to argue with your vet, but I know what is the accepted dosage we use here in South Texas to prevent heartworms and knock other parasites. I have used the same dosage on many dogs (I keep 8 to 10) for years and am certain it is safe for the sporting breeds.
I have one Pointer that turned 15 yrs old last month and a Labrador that is 11. They both have been dosed once per month on it all their lives.

Last edited by Pointer; 05/03/11 03:32 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide