Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Where do you draw the line? #217500 10/01/07 08:51 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just curious to see how folks feel about this on average. This is not 'what you do' but where you draw the line' on how specific duck reports should be. For example, I personally fall in category number 8, I post pictures and all, but never posting information on where I shoot ducks on public land, but if I had to draw the line, it would be category 6, I just don’t think you should post more specific information than that, JMO! I just don’t see the point, but that is just me!!

Where do you draw the line about how much information you think should be posting on the internet about where ducks are or places to hunt on PUBLIC LAND.
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 10/01/07 09:30 PM
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Guy] #217501 10/02/07 10:53 AM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Hummmmmmm

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Team Hillbilly] #217502 10/02/07 11:36 AM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
The interesting this is I could care less if anyone posts info on public spots....but just not the ones around where I live!

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Marcstar] #217503 10/02/07 11:39 AM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Did you notice that their has been about 30 votes and only two replys

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Marcstar] #217504 10/02/07 11:55 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Quote:

The interesting this is I could care less if anyone posts info on public spots....but just not the ones around where I live!

Care to share??

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: TreeBass] #217505 10/02/07 01:11 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Sure TreeBass...there are tons of great public places up near Dallas and down by the cost. But in central texas there is nothing.

Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Marcstar] #217506 10/02/07 01:20 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Quote:

Sure TreeBass...there are tons of great public places up near Dallas and down by the cost. But in central texas there is nothing.

LOL

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: TreeBass] #217507 10/02/07 04:06 PM
B
bhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
i dont care one way or the other, i hunt during the week, its only me and the ducks.

ROY

B.O.H.I.C.A.

"BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!!"

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

http://www.parkerpwr.com/
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: bhunter] #217508 10/02/07 04:21 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
If I find a spot that's holding ducks, geese, etc., I don't mind sharing that information with someone who hasn't had any luck hunting that species...I have always wanted others to share in the joy of bounty that I have had in the past.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: kyotee1] #217509 10/02/07 05:47 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Quote:

If I find a spot that's holding ducks, geese, etc., I don't mind sharing that information with someone who hasn't had any luck hunting that species...I have always wanted others to share in the joy of bounty that I have had in the past.

I also don't mind sharing the info but I would do so privately by speaking to the person(maybe direct email)...not posting it online.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Marcstar] #217510 10/02/07 05:57 PM
Q
Quacker Attacker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Q
That's funny right there!!!

Why the hell should I have to press 1 for English!!??
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Quacker Attacker] #217511 10/02/07 06:15 PM
T
THARRIS Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
What Marcstar said.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: THARRIS] #217512 10/02/07 09:49 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
You know....I have listened to a ton of guys on here talk about this and that with public waters.....and it drives me nuts....
I hunted the north side of 380 on Lewsiville and learned about it from another site....waterfowler.com........
Met a guy that showed me where he hunts, how he hunts and then the 2nd year I hunted it, ran into some guys that had no idea what to expect......
I let them hunt with me and we had a great time......

I think it is chickensh#%, that people get all bent out of shape over letting others know, hey had a good hunt on this end of the lake......
Someone is bound to eventually beat you to it sooner or later.....and normally the lazy ones aren't too willing to go the extra mile to bag a bird like some of us crazy fools are.........I don't know....just think that meeting new people and sharing the experience is worth it's wait in gold........guess i am at that age where watching others take a bird and filming have become more fun than claiming every dang bird that falls from the sky........Heck, if you don't like it......Find you some private land.......my .02

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #217513 10/02/07 10:57 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Man, been real busy last few days, not much time to post, but these results came out just as I expected. This has probably been one of the most debatable topics in this migratory section, and the reason is that for the most part, our opinions vary substantially, when it comes to posting info on “where ducks are”, we all have or opinion on the “degree” of information that should be posted. But note that categories 1 – 3 are the “Lake Namers” and 4 – 9 are the “No Lake Namers”, and based on 51 votes that care (taking out 5 that do not), the slight edge goes to the “No Lake Namers” which has been the case since I been watching this, not that is really matters, just an observation!! Everyone is welcome to their opinion!!

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #217514 10/02/07 10:59 PM
M
mossyjoke Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I agree with you kwr, but I also understand the point of view of not wanting every joe blow to just look on the forum and hey lets go to such and such spot. I think that using pm's more is a good idea. Plus it helps to avoid all the pissing matches that go on around here. JMO.

"I ain't got time to bleed."
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: mossyjoke] #217515 10/02/07 11:18 PM
P
pigpen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
In my opinion, there shouldnt be any kiss-and-tell unless you are just plain not straight and homie dont play that game.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: pigpen] #217516 10/02/07 11:31 PM
M
mossyjoke Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Yeah, you caught me.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: mossyjoke] #217517 10/02/07 11:59 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I agree with you kwr, but I also understand the point of view of not wanting every joe blow to just look on the forum and hey lets go to such and such spot. I think that using pm's more is a good idea.

Yes I agree, here there is a sense of “team accomplishment”. Does everyone really want a world where you just go on line and see where the ducks are? I mean, the idea is to avoid the crowds, not go to public advertised spot, there are really ducks on all lakes, yeah some more than others, but “spots” are much more important than lakes, JMO! But you see a spot posted on the internet, I think as a beginner, you say “wow, cool, I want to check that out, I discovered something on the internet, etc..” but it does not take long when you say “ok, don’t want to go there now”. I just don't get it why folks feel compelled to post hunting spots on the internet for all the cyber scouters.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Guy] #217518 10/03/07 12:09 AM
M
mossyjoke Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I think it is just the nature of the beast, Guy. It really doesn't matter how many times it is said, discussed, argued, what have you. It is still going to happen. It's basically kicking a dead horse. For the most part, I just try to ignore it and don't let it ruin my day. I hate to see it happen too, but I'm just one person. Maybe it is just ignorance, or maybe it's on purpose. Who knows?

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: mossyjoke] #217519 10/03/07 12:20 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hey, the more we talk about it (w/o getting all pissed off!)the better off we all are!!! I love this debatable subject!!

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Guy] #217520 10/03/07 12:23 AM
M
mossyjoke Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
That's the trick, though. I don't think that it can be debated without firing someone up.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: mossyjoke] #217521 10/03/07 12:43 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Guy,
So the purpose was to split the poll into labels of "Lake Namer" and "No Lake Namer"??? At 8pm no lake namer has an edge by only 1. In a real poll it would be called 50% by margin of error. 5 people voted category 10 and do not care if you name the lake or not.

Don't know if you noticed, but I copied your poll, rephrased it for the general outdoorsman and posted it in the general hunting forum. Almost word for word but in place of "lake" I used public hunting areas, lakes, National Forests, or WMAs. As of this post it has slightly less votes at 52. Since your intent was actually to ask one question and split the poll at 3. I will do same with the results here for y'all. 32 voted 1 through 3. 12 voted 4 through 9. 8 did not care one way ore the other. So the other poll sided overwhelmingly to the Public Hunt Area Namers.

I am surprised you thought the poll on this forum came out the way you thought it would. I personally expected it to fall heavily in the "no lake namer" side" and never expected to see it split 50-50 along that line. And from the other poll there is definately a different mindset between the general hunter and the waterfowl hunter with the general poll falling heavily into the public hunt area namer side. The polls show that the vocal no namer side does not have as much as a following that I thought they did. Really surprised me.

My take on this is it should not matter how you voted. We are our own individuals. We make our own choices in life. Since you split the poll at 3 I would say if that 50% of members here want to post a picture or story and mention what lake they were on, they should have that right without being insulted, bullied, having the post used as a podium, or be called names by the other 50%.
John

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Sniper John] #217522 10/03/07 01:17 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
This is not an accurate poll. We have no way to distinguish between newboots and old heads. A newbie will most likely vote to name the lake, old heads usually will not. I have had so many holes run over in the years gone by. I am tarnished to telling anyone anything. You can bet your boots if I tell you where I am hunting, I am not telling you the truth. If you can't understand that well your not trying to see my side of it. I understand we as a group of individuals need to ban together to help each other. I do that but in different ways than others. I just won't name a place to go because people can't keep their mouth shut. It is human nature for a new boot to want to tell of his experience hunting, it is fun. Years later after he has hole after hole burn out he will change his mind. Especially when the guy he told swore up and down he wouldn't show anyone. Then he shows up with his brothers father in law and Bubba. Then so called friend acts as if he has done nothing wrong. Legally no he hasn't. Morally imo he is a punk follower and not a real hunter (notice the word hunter was used). If you want to say your going hunting, then go hunting. If you want me to tell you when and where to go then what kind of HUNTER can you call yourself. The idea is to go forth, go amongst them. Seek your game and take your game and feel accomplished when you have success, and still feel accomplished when you don't. Otherwise just swat them on the water or better yet go buy them from the store.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: wal1809] #217523 10/03/07 01:46 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
I hunt mostly private so it doens't really bother me.

[Linked Image]

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Sniper John] #217524 10/03/07 01:55 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Guy,
So the purpose was to split the poll into labels of "Lake Namer" and "No Lake Namer"???

No it was not. If I wanted that simple poll then I would have just made 2 categories. No, my intent was to peel the onion a bit further and demonstrate that that there are “diverse degrees” of opinions of how much info should be posted in the internet, I have seen that from the debates, and most of the time folks talk past each other because of it. So my point, take the “Lake Namer Group” and the “Non Lake Namer Group”, and you can still have big debates within these groups about how much info should be posted on the internet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide