Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Texas VA and Disability Benefits List #1614088 08/22/10 04:38 PM
texretvet Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
There are losts of benefits out there that many don't know about for Texas Disabled Veterans.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a list here of any benefits that you have recieved in the past.

--Free Fishing and Hunting Super Combo License for 60% or greater disabled vet.

--Free state Park Admission for 60% or more.

--Disabled Vet License Plates

--Property Tax Exemption (100% if you're a 100% disabled vet)

--Hazlewood Act educational assistance. (tuition exemption)

--Free Drivers license for 60% disabled or more.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I know there are many businesses that give discounts and such, so if you know af any, list them on here.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: texretvet] #1614188 08/22/10 05:51 PM
J
Johnny Lobos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
You can drive right through the EZ tag lane because you are exempt from tolls

You get preferred parking at Sea World

You can park in most public parking to include airports, cruise ports, and parking meters for free.

Property Tax Exemption (100% if you're a 100% disabled vet) Only until you die because right now it does not pass to surviving spouse. The regular exemption does.

Last edited by Johnny Loco; 08/22/10 05:53 PM.
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Johnny Lobos] #1614390 08/22/10 07:48 PM
texretvet Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I didn't know about the EZ tag or the parking meters!

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: texretvet] #1615870 08/23/10 01:18 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
This listing is not off of an offical government site so double check anything on the list. If you see an error please post up or PM so I can delete or correct it. James

The State of Texas offers several advantages veteran.

(VLB), a division of the Texas General Land Office, manages loan programs three veterans’: The Land Loan Program, Veterans Housing Assistance Purchase Program and the Veterans Home Improvement Loan Program. Learn more about the Texas Veterans Land Board Programs

Texas Veterans Land Board (VLB), a division of the Texas General Land Office manages the Texas State Veterans Homes program.

Financial assistance programs Texas

Tax exemption for veterans. Disabled veterans who meet certain requirements, for the surviving spouse and the spouse and minor children of a person who dies on active duty in the U. S. Armed Forces may qualify for property tax exemption on the appraised value of their property. The exemption is mandatory and applies to all taxes collected by the tax authorities of the State. A veteran whose service connected disabilities are less than 10% by the Department of Veterans Affairs or a branch of the armed forces is not set, a property tax due.

Texas State Veteran Education Benefits

The Hazlewood Act. War veterans who reside legally in Texas, where he entered military service, and Home of the records have been designated as Texas, the DD214, is entitled to an exemption from tuition and certain rights State-supported/public (taxpayer ) supported colleges and universities. This benefit is for the children of Texas soldiers who died or were killed in military service, and the children of Texas military, lacking evidence for action or prisoners of war. Also eligible are children of members of the Texas National Guard or Texas Air National Guard killed since January 1, 1946, in active service, whether in the service of Texas or the United States. Read more

Texas veteran programs work

Veterans preference. War veterans have killed preference in employment with government agencies or offices, as well as widows and children of active duty. State agencies must practice veterans ‘preference’, up to 40% occupancy reached veteran. Non-veterans, retired from the state of Texas employees are entitled to their active military duty for retirement, time is taken if the demand for and shall pay to the Retirement System the amount of fees for the retirement of up to 60 months of military credit. This contribution is included in the rate when veteran employees before removal of the system, to be paid plus accrued interest.

In addition, a veteran of reemployment rights for his latest employer is entitled, if he is released from the armed forces of the United States, provided that his absence is not more than four years. The right to reinstatement is independent of whether the veteran was, before the service, dependent on the state, county or municipality or by private industry. rights reintegration of veterans are now provided by both state and federal laws. Read more

Other Texas State Veteran Benefits

Program Texas State Cemetery. In November 2001 national elections, voters overwhelmingly Proposition 7, a constitutional amendment authorizing the creation of up to seven state cemeteries for veterans and their families claim approved. The cemeteries will be built and operated through a partnership between the State of Texas Veterans Board (VLB) and the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA). The USDVA is equal to 100 percent of construction costs and equipment. The state will own and operate the cemeteries and fund most of the cost of operations. Read more

No-Cost Medical Records

Under the Health and Safety Code, Chapter 161 Subchapter M 201, medical or mental health Records, Texas veterans are eligible for no cost medical records are obtained, is entitled to a disability against S. U. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA file). The provider or health facility is not required to complete more than one record to the patient or former patient, without raising taxes. It should also be noted that some health facilities, a small administrative cost for the office documents.

Free license for disabled veterans

Texas Transportation Code Title 7, Chapter 521, Section 521 426, licenses free of charge to veterans of Texas driver, disabled services linked rated 60% or more established by the VA or a branch of the armed forces of the United States must apply for license expires before the fact. Application forms can be investigated by the Department of Public Safety to acquire license offices around the resident. We have a link, provided they have at the Department of Public Safety Texas Driver License information on the site. Application forms should be completed by the veteran and the VA to review the service connected rating of 60% or more. If disability is a veteran retired from the military and VA has no claim to file proof of disability must come from the respective branch of military service.

Fishing and hunting licenses for disabled veterans

Disabilities have the right of hunting and fishing licenses at special reduced prices. A disabled veteran of the armed forces of the United States, who has a service connected disability, as the Department of Veterans Affairs, compound obtained by the loss of the use of a limb or a lower disability scores of 60% or more defined and off is the United States for disability. A veteran resident, as described in the law can hunt wild turkeys and deer are not a resident hunting license if you purchased a resident hunting license exemption. We have a link to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for your convenience.

Free admission for disabled veterans park

Free admission to Texas State Parks is available to any veteran, disability-related services, 60% or more VA, or a service connected disability that led to the loss of a leg he is evaluated. The application may be in the headquarters office of any Texas State Park, providing sufficient proof of service connected disabilities are provided. This is not the evidence readily available, can the VA regional office that is located in the claims should be sought. The Texas State Parklands Passport is available to any veteran who meets the requirements of disability if he or she lives in Texas. The pass offers free entry only in state parks and not someone exempt from paying other taxes, such as camping fees, etc. We have a link to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for your convenience.

Free subscription of relief

According to the laws of the State of Texas Local Government Code Sec. 0192 002, secretary of the county in each state is required to register, free, official discharge of each veteran who served in the armed forces of the United States of America. This free service is very important as it provides veterans with a ready source from which they can obtain a certified copy of their discharge when needed. And ‘responsibility Veteran DD214 or discharge are recorded. Also note that if your DD214 entry with the secretary of the county, then there will be a public record. Note that the Texas Veterans Commission does not keep track of your DD214 or discharge.

Special license plates

disabled veterans, former prisoners of war, survivors of Pearl Harbor, Purple Heart and the Medal of Honor plates are among the distinguishing features available to eligible veterans and their survivors for personal use on their cars or light trucks of one ton or less . Disabled veterans have a service connected disability rating of 50% or 40% or more due to amputation of lower limbs. Former POWs are eligible if they were captured or detained by an enemy of the United States during a conflict with the United States and at admission were U.S. citizens. The authorization is valid for both former members of armed forces and civil rights of American citizens who were captured by an enemy of our government. For more information please contact the nearest vehicle title registration process or your county tax office.

Last edited by jeh7mmmag; 08/23/10 01:22 PM.

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: jeh7mmmag] #1618358 08/24/10 03:39 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
To add to the disabled plates post you can park in handicap spots without the mirror placard.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: devildog28] #1618363 08/24/10 03:42 AM
F
father of 4 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I have the Disability plates and have had many opportunities to park in these places but then I look around and know there is someone out there that needs this place more than me. I guess guilt would get me if I parked in one.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: devildog28] #1618377 08/24/10 03:48 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
On the disabled plates, yes you can park in handicap spaces without the mirror placard or the handicap symbol on the dis vet plates, as long as the space is not a Handicap-van accessible space. You DO have to have the symbol on your plates or the mirror placard to park in those spaces.

We just saved $130 in parking fees at DFW airport this week due to the Dis Vet plates.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: father of 4] #1618429 08/24/10 04:14 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: father of 4
I have the Disability plates and have had many opportunities to park in these places but then I look around and know there is someone out there that needs this place more than me. I guess guilt would get me if I parked in one.

If I go somewhere and there's an empty parking lot or my back is having a "bad day" I'll use them. Other than that I park in the regular spots.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: devildog28] #1640675 09/01/10 10:22 PM
N
NORML as can be Offline
^^Cut the Cord^^
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
You have to hang the placard on U.S. Government Property also.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: father of 4] #1968819 12/31/10 08:06 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: father of 4

Just got my plates and placard not long ago and I never noticed how many people park in those spaces that don't have a plate or placard.

Never noticed before until now that I need it, and doesn't seem to be enforced so I can see why people park there that shouldn't be.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Jimbo] #1990198 01/07/11 01:52 PM
22mag Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
If you have to add hand controls on your car or truck you do not have to pay sales tax.if you buy a new vehicle ,what ever make will give you $1000.00 to help get it ready for you to drive.you have to have put on by cert.person.I use national home heath,but there is alot of companies that do this.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: 22mag] #2125381 02/17/11 08:10 PM
C
cev728 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I was under the impression that Dis Vet plates alone did not allow you to park in handicap spots ???

Buy that Soldier a beverage !!!!
12B Sapper's led the way
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: cev728] #2207509 03/27/11 02:15 PM
M
Mossman500 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted By: cev728
I was under the impression that Dis Vet plates alone did not allow you to park in handicap spots ???

Nope...you were mistaken.

Retired US Army loving it!!
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Mossman500] #2223364 04/04/11 08:47 AM
22mag Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
if they would make all parking spaces wider people in wheelchair would careless how close they are to the door.you park in a regular one and someone pull up to close and you can't get in

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: 22mag] #2539412 08/28/11 01:23 AM
F
father of 4 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
If you are a Texas Veteran you are eligable for 150 hrs of your college tuition waived at any Texas Accredited college. You may also transfer these hours to your child. If you have more than one child then you can split these hours up, unless you have already used them for yourself. I am 100% Service Connected and found out that my Children and my Wife each get 150 hours thru the Hazlewood act. So if any of you are 100% then all of your kids and spouse get 150 hrs tuition waived.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: texretvet] #2643403 10/09/11 12:25 AM
56txoval Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
You still have to purchase an E-Z Tag When you get your statement it will show no tolls collected
You can park at both airports parking garages. When you get ready to exit the parking garage tell them you are a disabled vet they will step out of their booth to write down your Licenses plate # and you sign the ticket and that is it. You have to have DV License plates. You can get the required form from the VA Regional Office for DV plates. The plates are $4.00
Lowes and Home Depot give a 10% discount on any purchase.
Spring Dodge Crysler Dealership gives a $500.00 discount

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Mossman500] #2683661 10/22/11 07:25 AM
N
NORML as can be Offline
^^Cut the Cord^^
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Originally Posted By: Brian Moss
Originally Posted By: cev728

Nope...you were mistaken.

You have to place Your Placard on your mirror on Government Property even if you have the DV Tags but that is the only places you have to hang the card. If you have DV Tags you can Park In ANY Civilian Disabled Parking Spot Without the Placard as long as you have DV Tags.
If you are in a Buddy's Car or Truck you can take Your Placard and use it on there vehicle as long as you Accompany The Card as it's being used on there vehicle.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: devildog28] #2832084 12/13/11 02:26 AM
D
Dwight Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Devildog, I read that too.Parked in a handicap spot at Wal Mart in Plano. The friendly officer smiled as he wrote me up, cost $525.00 last November, said MUST have placard !

An armed society is a polite society.
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Dwight] #2837667 12/14/11 05:30 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
McCain want to raise Tricare fees still higher again.

Quote:
But McCain, the decorated war veteran and former prisoner of war, has proposed an amendment that would tie increases to the annual growth in health costs, estimated at 6 percent a year. The Pentagon agrees.

“As with other challenges we faced in this bill, we could have and should have done more,” McCain said on the Senate floor this month. “Military retirees and their families deserve the best possible care in return for a career of military service, and nothing less. But we cannot ignore the fact that health-care costs will undermine the combat capability and training and readiness of our military if we don’t begin to control the cost growth now.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/mc...

~ John Muir
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2837678 12/14/11 05:32 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
President Obama Signs Veterans Tax Credit Bill

If anyone doubted that veterans remain potent political symbols, they need look no further than Congress’s ability to set aside partisan gridlock last week and overwhelmingly enact legislation providing tax credits to businesses that hire veterans. Flanked by veterans advocates, President Obama signed the bill into law this morning.

The “VOW to Hire Heroes Act” will provide tax credits of up to $2,400 for employers who hire veterans who have been unemployed at least 4 weeks; up to $5,600 for hiring veterans who have been unemployed longer than 6 months; and up to $9,600 for businesses that hire veterans who have service-connected disabilities and have been unemployed longer than 6 months.
http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/21/president-oba...

http://legion.org/legislative/160285/obama-signs-jobs-bill-veterans

Last edited by jeh7mmmag; 12/14/11 05:38 PM.

~ John Muir
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2838956 12/14/11 10:58 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
My Road Back to School, Thanks to the New GI Bill up flag

Quote:
I hope as the war winds down in the next few years that more vets will take advantage of the New G.I. Bill. It can open up endless possibilities for all of us, as we take that next step in life. In the end, our country will be stronger for this influx of dynamic new leadership that is war-tested and ready for anything.

Jeff Hensley is a 1986 University of Texas graduate who joined the U.S. Navy in 1987 and spent 20 years flying F-14s and T-45s on active duty and as a selected reservist. He will graduate with an MS in counseling next year and plans to work as a mental health specialist counseling veterans. Jeff lives in Frisco, Texas with his three kids, two dogs, a cat, and two rats, and is a spokesperson for Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.
http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/5518/my-road-back-to-school-thanks-to-the-new-gi-bill/

Last edited by jeh7mmmag; 12/14/11 10:58 PM.

~ John Muir
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2964460 01/27/12 03:10 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Quote:
$3 million in grants available from the Texas Veterans Commission

The Texas Veterans Commission recently announced the availability of $3 million in grants to be awarded from the Texas Veterans Commission Fund for Veterans’ Assistance.

These grants will be awarded to qualified charitable organizations, Veterans Service Organizations and local government agencies to address issues affecting Veterans and their families.

“Grants provided through the Fund for Veterans’ Assistance play a critical role in meeting the broad range of needs experienced by Veterans and their families,” said Executive Director of the Texas Veterans Commission Thomas Palladino. “I invite all eligible organizations and entities to consider how their specific programs can be leveraged to assist Veterans and encourage them to apply for a grant.”

To date, the Texas Veterans Commission has awarded over $21.5 million from the Fund for Veterans' Assistance to 72 local government and non-profit organizations, funding services that include transportation to medical facilities, counseling for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), housing assistance, short-term emergency financial needs, Veterans courts, legal assistance and career training.

For organizations or agencies interested in applying, more information regarding the application process can be found on the Texas Veterans Commission’s website, http://www.tvc.state.tx.us/about/current-grant-process-and-form.

All grant applications must be received by the Texas Veterans Commission no later than 5:00 pm on Feb. 7, 2012.

Quote:
VA announces changes to Emergency Care Payment Policy

On Jan. 12, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs announced a change in regulations regarding payments for emergency care provided to eligible Veterans in non-VA facilities.

The new regulation extends VA’s authority to pay for emergency care provided to eligible Veterans at non-VA facilities until the Veterans can be safely transferred to a VA medical facility.

More than 100,000 Veterans are estimated to be affected by the new rules, at a cost of about $44 million annually.

VA operates 121 emergency departments across the country, which provide resuscitative therapy and stabilization in life-threatening situations. They operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. VA also has 46 urgent care units, which provide care for patients without scheduled appointments who need immediate medical or psychiatric attention.

For more information about emergency care in non-VA facilities, visit www.nonvacare.va.gov.

~ John Muir
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2964474 01/27/12 03:15 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
About the Texas Veterans Commission

The Texas Veterans Commission is a state agency committed to ensuring all Veterans within the state of Texas receive the maximum benefits earned as a result of their service to their country. We provide superior service to Veterans in the areas of claims assistance, employment services, education benefits and reimbursement grants that significantly improve the quality of life of Texas Veterans and their families.

http://app.icontact.com/icp/mmail-mprofi...67&c=407880

Please select one of these options to update your subscriptions:
Keep me subscribed to the following selected lists:

~ John Muir
Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: jeh7mmmag] #2982099 02/02/12 09:24 PM
T
Texas Heat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I sure wish the VA would hurry up with my rating, im still waiting after 8 months.

Re: Texas VA and Disability Benefits List [Re: Texas Heat] #2991544 02/06/12 07:29 PM
T
TF Panther Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Texas Heat, get ready to wait some more. They will comeback and low ball your rating then you will have to file an appeal and wait another year. Good Luck and keep fighting. I hate the VA more than I hate Al Queada and I really hate Al Queada!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide