Print Thread
A personal observation with a question #2114590 02/13/11 11:33 PM
B
Bobby B Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I have posted a couple times about hog dogging and knifing the hogs. The last was about the youth group hunt and a few comments were made about the dogs catching the hogs, guys holding the hogs and the kids knifing them. And there was no doubt as to the meaning of the comments.

Now, a lot of guys are going on about snaring varmints. Coyotes , bobcats , whatever may stick it's head in the noose.

Someone please explain to me the difference.The hogs in a lot of instances can and do out run the dogs, stand and fight the dogs and do indeed have a fighting chance in general until they are legged and then some manage to get away.

The use of snares on the other hand allows the unsuspecting varmint to become trapped to either strangle to death or lay in wait until the trapper comes along and puts a bullet between it's eyes.

I am not knocking those of you that snare. I have done it myself a time or 2. My question is if you raise an eye brow about dogging and knifing, why not about snaring? In all honesty, which has a more sporting chance?

" If you can't have no fun, it ain't no use a'goin' ! " - old man in a Sweetwater , TX cafe

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: Bobby B] #2114989 02/14/11 02:08 AM
F
firehog261 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Bobby I read your last post about the kids hunt and enjoyed it. I too have noticed that us hunters that choose to run dogs and catch hogs have startd to take alot of critisizm on here for doin somethin we love. I remember reading a post not to long ago about it from someone that stated they had never been and that it wasnt sporting, so he wouldnt ever do it. Dont understand it myself. Hunters should support each other, no matter how they hunt as long as its not illegal or giving hunters a bad name. Now I understand some may not like hogs and dogs, just like the debate with crossbows among bow hunters. But dont think we should run each other down. There are plenty of nonhunters out there to do that for us. I usually dont say much about it here, because it will hurt someones feelings or step on someones toes. But we have to stand by each other. Im sure I will have someone respond to this or get mad at me in some way. But I back you all the way about taking kids out and letting them hunt with the dogs and teaching them. I take my son and will take my daughter when she gets old enough. And I take alot of his friends, along with my clients sons/daughters. Just my opinion.

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: firehog261] #2115079 02/14/11 02:33 AM
B
bayourat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
People will take offense to anything so just do what you do and pay no attention to criticism. One of my favorite sayings is(Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind). Remember the definition of ETHICAL is - I wouldn't do it so therefore it must be wrong!

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: bayourat] #2115148 02/14/11 02:49 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
It's not that there's anything wrong with it. And on a forum where we all take the lives of animals we probably should be slow to attack each other about how we do it.
I don't think I would do it, I've seen what they can do to the dogs and I don't like pork that much, but my biggest complaint is when someone posts a bloody hog/dog fight and then kill or some other half baked "hunting video" on YouTube and gives the impression to the non-hunting public who come across it that we are just blood thirsty killers. On a hunting program, properly edited it's one thing but the little crud videos on a site that folks other than hunters frequent it looks bad.
Example, my wife eats the deer I bring home. She doesn't have a problem with the shoulder mounts. Doesn't care to watch them die. Just what she would think if she watched me wade in on a critter being held down by dogs with the blood and noise and stabbing it to death? Might change her impression of what "hunting" is. She was never around it as a kid and was introduced to the whole process by me.
It's what we do, you do and what we know. Just don't keep rubbing it into the face of the enemy and expect it not to bite you in the @$$. And if you don't think the general public matters then how the heck did we get Obama?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: passthru] #2115245 02/14/11 03:14 AM
H
Honker Jake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: passthru
It's not that there's anything wrong with it. And on a forum where we all take the lives of animals we probably should be slow to attack each other about how we do it.
I don't think I would do it, I've seen what they can do to the dogs and I don't like pork that much, but my biggest complaint is when someone posts a bloody hog/dog fight and then kill or some other half baked "hunting video" on YouTube and gives the impression to the non-hunting public who come across it that we are just blood thirsty killers. On a hunting program, properly edited it's one thing but the little crud videos on a site that folks other than hunters frequent it looks bad.
Example, my wife eats the deer I bring home. She doesn't have a problem with the shoulder mounts. Doesn't care to watch them die. Just what she would think if she watched me wade in on a critter being held down by dogs with the blood and noise and stabbing it to death? Might change her impression of what "hunting" is. She was never around it as a kid and was introduced to the whole process by me.
It's what we do, you do and what we know. Just don't keep rubbing it into the face of the enemy and expect it not to bite you in the @$$. And if you don't think the general public matters then how the heck did we get Obama?

This is a good reply.

I have been on one pig hunt with dogs and loved every minute of it. Great dogs and good people.

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: Honker Jake] #2115318 02/14/11 03:30 AM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
ok im a dog hunter and i dont care what people think about what i do when im catching pigs.these farmers and ranchers lose more money from these rooters than what most people make a yr.to me doging is the best way to get to these hogs cause they get smarter every day trapping and doging. they get were they want come to us so i go to them.these dogs that we use love what they do and im sorry if it hurts somebody feeling.but if you dont no anything about it than you shouldnt talk about it. i didnt vote for are obomma and i dont say anything about it. i averege 400 to 475 head of hogs a yr and i only hunt on wkends.i sale them to make extra money and they send the meat to francis,italy and them people pay big money for are pork.and sence this has happen they stopped killing horses.but i think we need to educate these people about what these rooters realy do .they cost money,deases,land ,crops,land eroation,and tear up housing additions.just remmber the indians hunting buffallo.AND IF ANYBODY ON HERE WANTS TO GO AND SEE HOW I DO THIS CALL ME 940 210 1762

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: passthru] #2115324 02/14/11 03:32 AM
B
Bobby B Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I just have to scratch my head some times. There is a lot posted here I think is ridiculous. Yet it gets praises from other.

People post a thread about shooting a hog or 3 and responses like " kill 'em all " come right along with it.

Varmints in traps or snare and " good job man " is a reply.

I hunt with recurves, longbows, rifles, shotguns and pistols as well as dogs and knives. I have trapped, snared and even run a big boar over with my truck one night.

Do what pleases you but dont sneer at me and mine for what we do.

If it is a legal means to take an animal, every swinging Richard needs to be behind it. Common sense would dictate that if knifing a hog was made illegal, since an arrow basically does the same thing, that would be next on the agenda. And it is. Stop bowhunting and that leaves firearms.

So in the eyes of those that want it all stopped, muzzle loaders cant be as efficient because they get a special season, so lets get that one stopped next. Pistols really have no place in the woods so lets get that too.

Rifle bullets travel a long ways and pose a threat to innocent people and animals , stop that and now we are down to shotguns.

It will never stop until they have their way. I know it and yall should know it too.

And that is my point. We catch a hog with dogs and dispatch it quickly and cleanly with a knife. But people post about loosing hogs they bow shot and are told " it happens ". I know where my hog is.

If we cant stick together here and on other forums, what will happen in a confrontation outside in the world with the antis?

It took me a long time, but I finally reached the point where if I dont like something I read in a forum, I let it go. The same would go a long way with all of us. If you dont like what I post or any one else, send me a PM. Ask your questions. Make your statement. Dont do it in public .

Last edited by Bobby B; 02/14/11 03:34 AM.

" If you can't have no fun, it ain't no use a'goin' ! " - old man in a Sweetwater , TX cafe

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: Bobby B] #2115363 02/14/11 03:42 AM
B
Bobby B Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
And the phrase " stabbing" keeps coming up. Granted, I guess it is stabbing, but to me and I would bet a lot of others, visions of a knife in a fist raised over head and the pounded repeatedly into the hog comes to mind.

That is about as far from what happens as it can get.

I cant speak for all, but the way we do it is the knife is simply thrust into the lungs of a hog. Some will joog the knife a time or 2 to increase the cutting area. But I have never seen anyone just pound a knife in over and over in the way " stabbing " brings to mind.

Last edited by Bobby B; 02/14/11 03:43 AM.

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: Bobby B] #2115398 02/14/11 03:50 AM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
You bring up a good point, I don't care for either but wouldn't knock anyone who does.

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: Bobby B] #2115432 02/14/11 04:02 AM
M
MIGUEL Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I believe I had made a comment towards this post you are speaking of, I myself have used dogs coon hunting and hog hunting. Some people frown on the dogs getting injured, yea it sucks and it happens, BUT... the dogs love it because if they didn't they wouldn't do it. My comment I had made was directed more towards the kids, some of them looked a bit young and if this was a first hunting experience it could be a little much for a youngster. I recomended an age or experience limit, the mentality level of the kid and if this would give them a bad taste in their mouth about hunting. "You dont just take a kid out on a boat to the middle of a lake and throw them in the water to try and teach them to swim, this could make them fear the water, you got to start them at the shore and let them get comfortable." Not knocking killing hogs or using dogs just noticed that some of the kids in the pics looked a little young and some looked a little bothered in the pictures. No bad ententions meant. YFIS, Miguel Luna.

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: MIGUEL] #2115874 02/14/11 07:51 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It boils down to fear of something they don't know or understand.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: dogcatcher] #2116008 02/14/11 01:32 PM
B
bjankowski Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I learned to put up with enough negative remarks for over forty years because I’m pretty much a bow hunter. I’ve heard it for years that’s it’s faster and more humane to take an animal with a gun. My thought is you do it with a gun, I’ll use a bow and if the next guy wants to use a rock that is his business and if someone or someone’s wife doesn’t like, they don’t have to comment on it!

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: bjankowski] #2116134 02/14/11 02:32 PM
S
Sirrah243 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I've not done it yet but would love to go. M Bennet I might take you up on your offer If you're serious.

I did not see the post that has been spoken of so I can't say anything about it.

Do what you do guys and don't give the negative comments a second thought.

�A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.� -Fred Bear
Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: Sirrah243] #2117021 02/14/11 09:00 PM
C
cwhite25 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I agree with you passthru there are alot of videos out there that should not be up on the net or need some editing. I run dogs and do have a few videos on the net. I made sure to take out some parts that have no reason to be on the net, but there are also alot of gun hunts or hunting in general that make us hunters look bad. To each is own and I hope I dont live long enough for our rights to be taken away. If they ever outlaw hunting with dogs there will be a huge increase in the number of hogs. Hog doggers take out more pigs a year then you might think. On the snares...come on.. people have been doing that before guns were even around. In the end if your a hunter/trapper something is going to get killed. I also agree you sh0uld harvest your game in the must hummane way. You can debate all day long which style is the most hummane bow,gun, knife..etc but they all can be talked about the same way.....Just my thoughts...

"Saving Texas one hog at a time" TDHA MEMBER
Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: cwhite25] #2117537 02/15/11 12:07 AM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
ill state this, come go with me and watch the sun come up over the hood of my truck and dogs and we will ty some hogs and bring the bacon home alive.any body can shoot animal at a feeder.but to leave the house with out a gun and come home with the hogs in a trailer.now not just any body can do this. i love to show anybody how i hunt exspeicely kids. 940 210 1762.the pound kills more dogs than what us dog hunters loose. for u people that want to gripe about us hunters that are showing pics or telling hunting storys and u dont like it. stop clicking on the thread.

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: M Bennet] #2117588 02/15/11 12:25 AM
B
Bobby B Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Quote:
My comment I had made was directed more towards the kids, some of them looked a bit young and if this was a first hunting experience it could be a little much for a youngster.

I didnt pick those kids. Their outfitters did and it was my understanding they have all hunted to some extent. Some more than others. I also said there were a lot of cameras and confusion and my pics were not the best. I have seen pics taken bu the outfitters and they are much better .

But your comments are not what brought about this post. a couple that followed did.

Quote:
On the snares...come on.. people have been doing that before guns were even around.

And again, I was not talking down on folks that snare. I was using snares and dogs/knifing as examples of two different ways animals are taken and that one seems to cause raised eye brows and the other dont.

I mean if you want to look down your nose and one method or another, what is the sport of sticking a 7 mag in the ear of a doe that is feeding under a feeder?

What about all the shoot 'em in the face comments? Fodder for the antis is thrown up about dogging and knifing. Y'all dont think the antis wont file comments like that away to be used later?

I dont care who said what. The original question I asked was why should snaring be considered any better than dogging? Or may I should say viewed in a better light?

I bowhunted exclusively for 30 years. I heard all the crap from rifle shooters. I have shot recurves and long bows exclusively for 20 and I have heard the same from the compound shooters.

If we cant support one another, who is going to support us?

It accomplishes nothing and it does create hard feelings.

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: Bobby B] #2117716 02/15/11 01:17 AM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
BOBBY IM WITH U ON THIS I JUST GET TIRED OF PEOPLE GRIPPING ABOUT WHAT I DO AND JUDGEING ME. IF YOU DONT NO ME THAN DONT THROW ROCKS IN A GLASS HOUSE. CHOKE TO DEATH OR PUCTURE HEART OR TY . WE HAVE A HOBBY AND WE ALL ENJOY WHAT WE DO,YUR RIGHT WE HAVE TO STAND UP TOGETHER AND TRIVE ON KEEPING ARE FREEDOM.IF YOU DONT NO ANYTHING ABOUT THE THREAD THAN DONT GRIPE ABOUT IT THATS WHAT I TELL PEOPLE

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: M Bennet] #2117754 02/15/11 01:35 AM
M
MIGUEL Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
M BENNET, I know exactly how you feel as far as your dogs go, I owned bulldogs for many years and after the whole Michael Vick thing I couldnt even walk a dog without having to hear someones opinions and that inturn increased the laws on "fighting type" dogs to where it was almost imposible to own an American Pit Bull Terrier.

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: MIGUEL] #2117819 02/15/11 01:58 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I don't care what folks do. I'de be perfectly fine if the entire feral hog population died tomorrow.

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: rifleman] #2118131 02/15/11 03:30 AM
W
Wader Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Hunt how you like, just please don't poison anything near me...

My only problem with hog doggers is when I am on public land. I wouldn't mind some sort of alternating schedule or something. I have been cussed out for whacking hogs pushed toward me, and ticked off in turn when I was moments away from letting fly on a nice buck during archery season when a dog comes sniffing through... argh

Still hunt how you like.

-ww

Originally Posted By: rifleman
I'de be perfectly fine if the entire feral hog population died tomorrow.
Amen

Originally Posted by Robert A. Heinlein
A thousand reasoned opinions never equal to one case of diving in and finding out.
Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: Wader] #2118274 02/15/11 03:55 AM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
you wont see me on land like that iv got a buissness hunting hogs for farmers an ranchers.iv got over 30,000 acres to maintain.but i agree with you on one part and remmber we all pay are taxes so that means we all can hunt gov land when we want,but in deer season i hunt at night and my dogs are on my hood.so if i run in to a deer hunter at night hes in the wrong i think or unless deer hunting change there rules.but yes it would piss me off to if that happen to me

Re: A personal observation with a question [Re: M Bennet] #2125270 02/17/11 07:25 PM
F
firehog261 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Well unless they have changed the rules. You can't run dogs on public land. Ive got some land that backs up to public land and everytime my dogs chase one on there, I have to call the game warden just to go in and get them. I hunt all over East Texas and it depends on the GW on what they will let me do with the hog. Sometimes, I have to catch it and then let go, sometimes stab and leave laying and then others I can take it with me.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide