Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: ctownboy] #2075279 01/31/11 07:00 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I say sport and of course the "sport" in the running the dogs part of it. The dogs can get hurt and they are running so they could get away.

As opposed to me sitting in a deer blind and poppin um when they think they are just getting a free meal. Not much sport there...

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2075289 01/31/11 07:04 PM
C
ctownboy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
How do hog dogs interact with people? Are they wired just to hunt or can they be social?
I understand that you don't want them to go soft or whatever. Heard that some are the kindest dog and when you get them out there they flip the switch. True or are they always on?

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: ctownboy] #2075316 01/31/11 07:12 PM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: ctownboy
I was not watching Hogs gone wild when I saw the video. It was a guided first person view of the hunt. I am not knocking dog hunters or anything. Just giving a view and gives us a water cooler conversation. It just seems to be a little savage to me.
Hunting as a sport is already viewed as a terrible thing. Guess I don't enjoy watching something die right in front me while I am holding it.

I am not here to stop dog hunting just asking opinions. Goodness knows we have plenty on here.

At least you saw it for yourself and formed an opinion from your own experience. Some don't bother to go that far.

Stand up for your rights to own and hunt with dogs
Join the Lonestar Working Dog Association
www.lswda.org
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: ctownboy] #2075372 01/31/11 07:27 PM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
How do hog dogs interact with people? Are they wired just to hunt or can they be social?
I understand that you don't want them to go soft or whatever. Heard that some are the kindest dog and when you get them out there they flip the switch. True or are they always on?

By and large they do pretty good. Some love attention, some just don't care. There are growly curs just like anything else but most are fine that I've been around. Same for the bulldogs we use to catch the hogs. Dog hunters like to hunt with our friends just like everybody else, so we need dogs that can tolerate other people and their dogs. Plenty of us also have kids so a kid friendly dog is a must. I actually take mine to Trailblazer events with the Boy Scouts and let the scouts meet the dogs and show pictures of the dogs working. Lots of people are suprised that the same dog in the picture baying or catching a hog is the same one they are petting right now.

One of my strike dogs on a Wounded Warrior hog hunt

My friends catahoula with a scout

Catch dog begging for a belly rub while my wife explains his vest

Another catch dog with my son. You can see the legs of the hog we just caught on the left side of the picture.

Last edited by catchrcall; 01/31/11 07:52 PM.

www.lswda.org
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: Dan_the_Bowhunter] #2075416 01/31/11 07:42 PM
jaymz Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Dan_the_Bowhunter
So I held the doe while he slit her throat. It was like I could feel the life goin out of her. At first she was tryin real hard to get away and then it slowly left her. I hope I never have to do that again.

wow. amen to that.

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: jaymz] #2075444 01/31/11 07:51 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
When I was young I shot a small buck directly under my stand. It started making a lot of noise so I climbed down and found out I didn't have a knife so I ended up chocking it until it died. That takes more energy than some might think. Still not sure why I didn't shoot it again though.

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: jaymz] #2075519 01/31/11 08:16 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: jaymz
So I held the doe while he slit her throat. It was like I could feel the life goin out of her. At first she was tryin real hard to get away and then it slowly left her. I hope I never have to do that again.

wow. amen to that.

I'd say grow up, you gotta finish what you start. A knife is no worse than a bow to me. Like others have said if it is legal have at it. I would love to have some hog dogs, but also know that I dont have the time or means to keep them well so I dont. I still think it is a cool way of hunting them.

I also agree that the hogs gone wild show stinks and catching 1 hog at a time wont make a hill of beans.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: redchevy] #2075545 01/31/11 08:23 PM
C
ctownboy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: redchevy

wow. amen to that.

I'd say grow up, you gotta finish what you start. A knife is no worse than a bow to me. Like others have said if it is legal have at it. I would love to have some hog dogs, but also know that I dont have the time or means to keep them well so I dont. I still think it is a cool way of hunting them.

I think they did, they are stating that way of killing is hard to do for them. I don't think that is growing up to be able to watch something die in front of you like that. confused2

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: ctownboy] #2075660 01/31/11 08:55 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I guess there is not difference to me in shooting a deer with a 300 mag or sticking it with a knife. It is just as dead, now go into the back yard and knife my dog yeah then I will feel some emotion, not for a pig or a deer or something I intend to and want to die.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: redchevy] #2075732 01/31/11 09:14 PM
C
ctownboy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
What emotion do you feel when you kill something?!

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: catchrcall] #2075749 01/31/11 09:19 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: catchrcall
I was not watching Hogs gone wild when I saw the video. It was a guided first person view of the hunt. I am not knocking dog hunters or anything. Just giving a view and gives us a water cooler conversation. It just seems to be a little savage to me.
Hunting as a sport is already viewed as a terrible thing. Guess I don't enjoy watching something die right in front me while I am holding it.

I am not here to stop dog hunting just asking opinions. Goodness knows we have plenty on here.

At least you saw it for yourself and formed an opinion from your own experience. Some don't bother to go that far.

0 interest in it, so no I won't get the expierence of it. I don't have a hankering to do it. To each their own. I think if I did do it it would just further disgust me, some things are better left alone, imo

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: 7mag] #2075825 01/31/11 09:42 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
This topic belongs on the Texas Anti Hunting Forum!

If you dont want to do it then dont.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: redchevy] #2075832 01/31/11 09:45 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: redchevy
This topic belongs on the Texas Anti Hunting Forum!

If you dont want to do it then dont.

I checked it's not on there yet

[Linked Image]
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: 7mag] #2075848 01/31/11 09:50 PM
Steve
Steve
Copied from another source, I don't know John Wasmuth.

Title "Cannibals and other useful idiots"

a good read and it happens very often

this was written bye a good freind of mine named john wasmuth a few years ago

Cannibals and Useful Idiots

The following is real, and it’s here now.

Joe Hunter goes to a cocktail party; nothing fancy, just a holiday gathering in Anytown, USA. A conversation begins with Bob Peta, it goes something like this:

Bob Peta: Say Joe, didn’t you go deer hunting this year?
Joe Hunter: Sure did Bob.
Bob: Man, that’s great, did you get one?
Joe: Yep, I sure did, a nice six pointer.
Bob: Hey, that’s great. Say listen Joe, you’re a true hunter, a “real” hunter are you not?
Joe: I sure am.
Bob: Say, I hear tell of a kind of hunting where people can go kill animals in fenced areas. You’ve never done that, have you?
Joe: No, no I haven’t.
Bob: Well, I wouldn’t call that real hunting, would you Joe?
Joe: Well, that’s not the way I hunt.
Bob: I know Joe, but there are people who hunt in fenced areas. I don’t think that’s really hunting, do you Joe?
Joe: well, uh, I guess not.
Bob: Great. Say, listen Joe, a group of us concerned “real” hunters are trying to get that method of hunting done away with. We feel it is unethical, will you help us?
Joe: Sure, because that is not the way I hunt, and I’m a real hunter.
Bob: Thanks Joe. Here is what we need you to do. As a real hunter the big boys in Congress and the Senate will listen to you. They know that any “real” hunter only hunts the way you do, and that’s the only real hunting there is. What we need you to do is get out there and get petitions signed, people will sign them because you are a real hunter, and they know that only your way of hunting is the “real” way.

So Joe diligently goes after the goal, to ban, and outlaw any kind of hunting that Bob suggest is not real hunting. He gathers up signatures, petitions courts, and makes meetings. He is really cleaning up this unethical way of hunting, he’s got a lot of support. He is gathering “real” hunters from all over, and finally, after much hard work, they get a legal way of hunting banned.

Bob: Joe, you did great and we sure appreciate your hard work, but let me tell you what I heard. There is another type of hunting that we think is not right. Could you help us again?
Joe: Well I guess so Bob. I don’t hunt like that, so it’s not real hunting anyway. How can I help?

It’s the same old story. It’s odd how Bob Peta keeps adding to the list of what “real” hunting is. However, Joe goes at it hard and heavy, and in the end, he helps get that type of hunting banned. Bob and his friends are happy. Joe is a “real” hunter, and these other guy’s aren’t, because the way they hunt is different from Joe, and Joe does not like that way of hunting. So what’s the harm in getting rid of that type of hunting. Joe is a “real” hunter after all, not like those other guys. He even goes to sportsmen’s organizations and recruits from within. It’s easy because they are all “real” hunters too.

Time passes, and more and more legal ways of hunting are banned. Bob and his friends are real happy with Joe, he’s been a real help. So after all the unethical ways of hunting are gone, Bob and his friends decide that it is time to get Joe’s way of hunting banned, the final chapter.

Joe: Bob, hey buddy, this is Joe. I know I helped you get rid of all those other forms of legal hunting, but now there is a move to get rid of the way I hunt.
Bob: Well Joe, I know. My friends and I are spearheading that movement.
Joe: But Bob, I thought you liked the way I hunt, and it was OK for me to do that type of hunting?
Bob: Well Joe, no, any and all types of hunting are bad, the poor defenseless animals never have a chance, and we dislike, actually we hate hunters.
Joe: But I thought the way I hunted was “real” hunting to you?
Bob: Joe, it was all real hunting, but we at PETA and HSUS hate you. Thanks for all your help, we greatly appreciate it.

You see, what Joe became was a “Cannibal”, a “Useful Idiot” to the anti-hunters at HSUS and PETA . They don’t give a rat’s backside how you hunt, what you hunt, or where you hunt, they just want all hunting done away with. The sad thing is that they use hunters against hunters for their causes. If you do not support any and all forms of legal hunting, or voice any decent about the way someone else legally hunts, you my friend are a “Cannibal”, and a very “Useful Idiot” to the enemy. Think twice the next time you mouth off against another hunter’s methods, they could be coming after you next.

Personally i've never done it, don't care to do it in the future. But I will never speak negatively on an open forum about a legal form of hunting....even if I don't like it. I like my way, and want the ability to keep doing so.

Chupa

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: ctownboy] #2075870 01/31/11 09:53 PM
C
ctownboy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
No hijacking here. I don't see anything were I stated anything about this being Anti-hunting. This is my comment.

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: ctownboy] #2075876 01/31/11 09:54 PM
C
ctownboy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
Oh I think you were refering to 7mag. Nevermind

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: ctownboy] #2076020 01/31/11 10:44 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I watched Hogs Gone Wild last night. I thought it was stupid. First of all - why in the heck would someone with a ranch hire someone to come in and catch ONE hog and think that would take care of their hog problem?

Also, they made mention of donating a 300 lb. boar taken to a soup kitchen. I am all for feeding the homeless and needy, but a 300 lb. boar is not going to be a treat to eat, no matter how they prepare it.

My boys and I were watching the show last night and kept shouting "shoot it! shoot it!" every time the dogs cornered one and the trappers started wrestling with it. Just don't understand it. I think the show really is just for entertainment and in real life those trappers probably shoot the hogs like any normal person would.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: millerliteliker] #2076056 01/31/11 11:02 PM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Nope. Most of us use bay dogs to get the hog bayed, send in a catch dog that we've led up to the bay and then grab the hogs back legs and flip it to it's side. It's not that big of a deal. Some people do bay and shoot but most use the catch dogs. A lot of people won't allow guns around their dogs. The bays you see on TV are the ones that happen where it is open enough for a good camera view. Sometimes they bay in thick cedar or a dewberry patch and it's hard to see the hog let alone get a good shot. A lot of times we catch multiple hogs in a hunt. Sometimes after the catch dogs hit the bay dogs immediately roll out and bay another one from the same sounder, and again and again. Or move to another spot and catch another one.

I can't watch the show but I can't help but wonder if it's not a bit sensationalized for TV.

Last edited by catchrcall; 01/31/11 11:11 PM.

www.lswda.org
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: millerliteliker] #2076061 01/31/11 11:03 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
although I stated earlier that I would like for all hogs to die, I've been on my fair share of runs and carried enough dogs out that I've about lost interest. Most of the folks in our area hate dogs on their places more than they do hogs and b/c of that you get folks doing everything possible to a hog to make it a pita on the dogs.

EX:

I'm not about to hope a dog can hang onto something while I get close enough to stab the joker.

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: jaymz] #2076068 01/31/11 11:07 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

wow. amen to that.

I guess that's a matter of circumstance. I once cut the throat of what I thought was a poorly-shot buck only half-way caught in a barbed wire fence. I thought that sum'bitch never would die, and he beat the ever loving hell outta' me in the process. Turned out he wasn't even the one I was tracking, I was just un-lucky enough that he got caught in that fence at that time.

I've been on several dog and knife hunts with friends, and as far as "sport" goes, I agree that it's more of a dog sport than a hunter sport, kind of like sheep trials or a greyhound race. It's always a pleasure to watch well-trained dogs doing their job well. My bud's dogs all really seem to love it, and they are better cared for than any pug or shitzu I know of this side of Westminster. For a true "hunter" sport, though, I say catch the hog with the dogs, let it catch its' breath, grab your knife and climb into a hall closet with it. My money's on the pig.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 01/31/11 11:08 PM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: rifleman] #2076070 01/31/11 11:08 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I cut a hog's throat one time. The knife went in twisted and came out the bottom of the throat way too easy for me to feel good about it. The whole thing made me kinda queasy.

That said, I have no quarrel with those who want to "stick a pig". This is Texas, and its big enough and diverse enough for all of us. Go for it!

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: Pointer] #2076085 01/31/11 11:12 PM
C
ctownboy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Pointer
I cut a hog's throat one time. The knife went in twisted and came out the bottom of the throat way too easy for me to feel good about it. The whole thing made me kinda queasy.

That said, I have no quarrel with those who want to "stick a pig". This is Texas, and its big enough and diverse enough for all of us. Go for it!

Well said. Maybe we should close before someone gets their feelings hurt.

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: ctownboy] #2076090 01/31/11 11:15 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
it's not anti hunting, like I said whatever floats your boat. Not for me. Ct asked for opions, mine as well as others don't care for it. Others love it

[Linked Image]
Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: 7mag] #2076165 01/31/11 11:32 PM
C
ctownboy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
7mag, wouldn't that hurt your business to be anti hunter?! grin

Re: Sport or just killing? [Re: millerliteliker] #2076202 01/31/11 11:39 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: millerliteliker

Also, they made mention of donating a 300 lb. boar taken to a soup kitchen. I am all for feeding the homeless and needy, but a 300 lb. boar is not going to be a treat to eat, no matter how they prepare it.

That is not true at all. I have cooked boars up to 300 lbs and there is no difference in the taste of the meat. Sure the hide stinks, but not the meat under it, unless something is wrong with it. Me and 1Fowlhunter laughed about these comments when he killed a 260lb boar and we cleaned it and threw a piece straight on the pit. Man it was good.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide