Forums46
Topics537,034
Posts9,719,685
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? #201192 08/15/07 03:38 PM
R
ralph Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R
Reading the recent posts about weird and strange sights while hunting and the Native American connection to a member's new lease in San Saba, I got to wondering what is the most interesting "discovery" you ever made on a hunting lease or a hunting trip.

I know many have found arrowheads, fossils and a variety of interesting antler sheds but what else have you come across?

Or,what interesting stories or history is attached to your lease or the place you hunt or have hunted?

Anyone ever find a skeleton? stolen cars? meth lab? caves? aircraft wreckage? any old stagecoach roads cross your lease? did Sam Bass used to hide out where you now hunt?

Just thought it might be interesting to hear about, since IMHO, all of this contributes to the whole hunting experience and makes for some great memories.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #201193 08/15/07 04:15 PM
B
black dallas Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
i havent foud much but my brother found a balloon from a grade schooler from nebraska or kansas one

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #201194 08/15/07 05:06 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
THE PLACE I HUNT HAS AN AREA KNOWN AS "THE HOME STEAD" THERE'S NOT MUCH HISTORY KNOWN ABOUT IT, THE LADY THAT OWNS OUR LAND IS IN HER 60'S AND HER FATHER OWNED IT BEFORE HER AND HE DIDN'T KNOW MUCH HISTORY ON "THE HOMESTEAD".
I EXPLORE IT A LOT AND TRY TO FIGURE OUT HOW IT WAS LAID OUT AND WHAT THEY DID THERE. IT HAS AN AREA THAT LOOKS LIKED THEY TRIED TO MINE SOMETHING. THERE IS ALSO REMINANTS OF CORRALS AND A CHICKEN COOP. THE MOST INTERESTING THING TO ME IS AN OLD SISTERN (I THINK THAT'S WHAT IT'S CALLED)
USED TO GATHER WATER (LOOKS LIKE A DRY WELL). I ALWAYS WANTED TO GO DOWN IN IT AND LOOK FOR SNAKES, DEAD BODIES, AND WHATEVER...

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #201195 08/15/07 05:36 PM
T
tgil Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I found some old books, that had the students math work written in them. The dates written were the early 1900's.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: tgil] #201196 08/15/07 05:49 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I found some old books, that had the students math work written in them. The dates written were the early 1900's.

That is very cool! That kind of stuff is very interesting to me for some reason.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: txcornhusker] #201197 08/15/07 06:13 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
my buddy found a dead mexican with a some old 1950's peso's in his shirt pocket. he'd been dead awhile, he was just a skeleton, probably an immigrant who died of dehydration.

i've found some barbwire that had barbs on it like i've never seen, its pretty old, same diamater wire like today's but the barbs are TINY.

i hunted a ranch that used to be a bootleg liqour operation for the mob during prohibition. i did't find anything on the ranch but me and another hunter did locate a hidden room inside the hacienda.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #201198 08/15/07 06:14 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Lora and I started hunting a 180 acre place in Montague county, just south of the Red River, in 1993.

That first season, I decided to build a latrine. I found a spot and started digging the hole, and then got sidetracked.

The hole set there for 2 years without anything else being done.

In 1996, I decided to finish the job, so I pre-fabbed an Outhouse here at home and we hauled the pieces up to the place to finish putting it together and set it in place.

Lora and I went up there on a hot Sunday in August to finish the hole and get everything ready to set up the outhouse.

Lora was over at our campsite and I was digging the hole with posthole diggers.

I had gotten down about 24 inches, when I hit something with the diggers that went, Pop, when I hit it.

I did not like the sound of that Pop, so I put the diggers down and got down and started digging thru the loose dirt with my hands.

Next thing I know, I am finding pieces of plastic shopping bags in the hole. As I clear the dirt away from the bags, I notice a squarish black hole going down into the ground.

At this point I hollered for Lora to bring me a beer, and I sat down on some cement blocks that I was going to line the hole with.

I knew, with out any further digging that it was a human skull.

Lora brought the beer over and asked what was wrong. I showed her the hole and explained what had happened, and she went to get the camera.

When she got back, I went to digging around with my hands again, and pulled the bags, skull, and pieces of bone out of the hole.

Things got further complicated after that point, but I will say, that I hope to never find anything like that again.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Crazyhorse] #201199 08/15/07 06:44 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
chc,

did the cops get involved? i have always wondered about that, what if you find a body buried somewhere?

for christmas when i was 10, i was given a new 30-30 winchester 94. my dad set-up a trip for us to go to some property my uncle leased from a lawyer in huntsville for a late season hunt. the landowner was showing us some sites when he asked if i was into spooky or creepy things,if i wanted i could go to a graveyard. we all said yes and he drove to the far corner of the property

inside a small oak grove was maybe 30 or 40 tombstones. seems way back when, there was a town up there called cincinnati, and the majority of the town had caught yellow fever and died. this was the final resting place for alot of the townsfolk. some of the people that were in the cemetery where born in the late 1700's. kinda neat to know your standing next to people who are over 200 years old.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: txtrophy85] #201200 08/15/07 07:03 PM
R
ralph Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R
Fascinating. Keep 'em coming.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: txtrophy85] #201201 08/15/07 07:12 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yes Sir, they sure did. Lora can tell this from her perspective and it actually sounds funnier, but the whole tale is so long, in fact that was probably one of the longest days of my life.

the part that made it all so spooky, was that the place we were hunting on was in the area where Henry Lee Lucas was supposed to have killed several people and the bodies were never found.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Crazyhorse] #201202 08/15/07 07:16 PM
F
Fleabiscuit Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
In case anyone (like me) doesn't know who Henry Lee Lucas is, I wiki'd it.

Click Here

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Crazyhorse] #201203 08/15/07 07:22 PM
C
cougarpiss Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
This wasn't while hunting but it was kind of cool. My son is on his high school golf team and 3 years ago they were at the state golf tournement in Austin. During their practice round one of the kids on his team was looking for his ball next to a creek and found a dead body. Quiet a shock for a 15 year old kid. In retrospect maybe it was hunting related, after all he was HUNTING his ball.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Fleabiscuit] #201204 08/15/07 07:26 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
DOH !!!

Thanks for doing that.

I figgered everyone had heard of Henry Lee Lucas.

Senile Moment in progress.

Thanks for posting that link.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: cougarpiss] #201205 08/15/07 07:30 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
No Thank You!!!

Finding that skull was bad enough, I don't EVEN want to think about finding a carcass.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Crazyhorse] #201206 08/15/07 08:28 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've had a couple, one was a dead body i found on a tank battery. Seems he had went up on top of one of our tank batteries one night to varmint call. Had his rifle, calls and a spotlight. Seems he didn't pay any attention to all the H2s warning signs posted all over that location. He was right by the thief hatch.

Another was an old world war 2 practice bomb that had been there since the 40's. It was about 3 ft long and filled with concrete.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: HWY_MAN] #201207 08/16/07 12:47 AM
D
Daddycajun Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Border Crossers camp sites all along the arizona border

http://www.bucklesofestes.com/images/Mason-Shriner/mason.jpg
See Rule 17: Signature images may not be larger than 600 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall.
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Daddycajun] #201208 08/16/07 01:03 AM
B
BigBow Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
not while hunting... but drinking in college!

the spook light!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spook_Light

and there was one night at the Haskel co place w/ me and TCH... strang....

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #201209 08/16/07 01:48 AM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Last year while hunting arrowheads (I had my buck), I was crawling around in some stuff so steep and thick that you can't stand up. I started finding $10 and $20 bills hung up in rocks and brush that had washed down the hill. On some of them, half the bill was rotted away. I suspect there's a body up there (or a box of money) but the brush/cactus was eating me alive. I recovered a couple hundred bucks and crawled back out. I'll give it another shot this year and see if I can make it higher up. I don't mind finding a body as long as it's not too fresh but if I do, I'll keep it to myself.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #201210 08/16/07 03:43 AM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
We used to hunt a place off of McDonald road in between Bronte and Blackwell. Just where the highway splits about 8 miles north of Bronte. Well there used to a little place called Fort Chadbourne and there was an old deck for the railroad stop and the old tracks. On the land we hunted our ranchers grandparents old house was there. We got to poking around because it was all falling apart and found out that his Grandfather was the local doctor. We found all kinds of cool stuff from the turn of the century until about 1940. Old X rays and OLD Time Magazines. It was pretty cool. We went in the barn and there were still saddles sitting on their posts all dried out. I found a bottle of Thunderbird wine under a big pile of old hay. I also found a branding iron. So I took it to our rancher and asked him if this was his family's old brand. It was a N and his last name was McDonald and that was his family's last name as well. He said he had no idea who it belonged to because they never had that brand and said I could have it. Well being that my last name is Neel I thought that was awesome....I was a 12 year old kid with his own branding iron....ironically enough it is sitting beside my bedroom door.....just in case I need to grab something real quick to hit somebody. Right by the trailer house we stayed there were the remnants of an even older house with a cellar and a sistern. I tell you what it was a scary thing to be in that house at night because there were some crazy sounds. We were in town having breakfast one time talking about some of the stuff we found, when an old man asked us if we were hunting the Mcdonald place. He told me and my cousins where to go to find the old dance floor for the parties they used to have out there. Sure enough it was a slab of concrete about 40x40 in the middle of the woods. Man if trees could talk I'd kill to know what all went on there 100 years ago.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Ox190] #201211 08/16/07 03:55 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The McDonald's place, have not thought of that place in years, my grandfather used to take me over there every so often way back in the early 1950s when we were in the Bronte area. Being from the Miles Rowena area My grandfather pretty well knew all of the ranchers in that area, He was more of a farmer than a rancher but always had quite a few cattle and was always trading and wheeling and dealing with cattle. Small world.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: dogcatcher] #201212 08/16/07 04:38 AM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I miss that place. I loved that ranch and knew it like the back of my hand. We hunted there for 5 years and we would even go and stay during the spring because there was a full size trailer house we stayed in as our "deer camp house" yeah we were roughing it let me tell ya. I'd spend all day walking all over that place with my trusty semi auto .22. Just FYI it no longer belongs to the son Dowdy Mcdonald. After all those years of it being his family's land he got caught up with drugs a few years after we stopped hunting there because he wanted too much money. Well me and my step dad were in the area one summer and were gonna stop by and say hi to him and his wife. And there was a piece of paper on the door and red tape saying SEIZED BY DEA....turns out he started growing tons of marijuana on all of his land. I believe he had about 4 or 5 different chunks throughout there. Well he lost ALL of it. Damn shame too. Especially since he had recently struck oil and gas right before we got off the land. Some people just ain't got no sense. Small world though a guy my mom went to high school with in Iraan ended up buying the section we used to hunt on at auction.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Ox190] #201213 08/16/07 10:35 AM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
My story is no wear as good as some of yalls storys but here goes, I was hunting on my grandfathers property when i was 14 hunting squirells and found a old stevens single shot 22 rifle leaning against a huge maple tree and when i brought it to the house my dad said it was grandpas old gun that grandpa had thought was stolen out of his barn years ago! The only bad part was i didnt get to keep it even though it was to rusted up to ever use again.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Hoytman] #201214 08/16/07 11:51 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
OX190, sorry to hear that, I was real young only 5 or 6 back then. Never really knew the family just remembered the name. Most of the land families owned from that era has changed hands. In my opinion that was caused by mismanagement and greed. If I remember I will check with my uncle he will know the what all happened.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: dogcatcher] #201215 08/16/07 01:29 PM
H
huntsetter1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
H
In the mid - nineties we went on a hog hunt at one of the Bricoe ranches and in the late afternoon we went to glass on the top of an outlook. After aa couple of minutes of looking around I saw a guy dressed in solid white dancing by himself in a small opening of brush. I have no idea why he was doing this but it was really strange. I asked the guide what he thought and he had no idea. I'm sure he was an illegal, but it was the strangest thing I have ever seen while hunting.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: huntsetter1] #201216 08/16/07 02:29 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
He might have been sampling some of the local mushrooms!

We found a 22 pump gallery gun that belonged to my grandfather when he was a kid. He got in loads of trouble for loosing that gun. It was laying on the ground next to an Oak tree. Evidently he had leaned it against the tree, and t fell over as the tree grew, or as the stock rotted off. It is useless, but cool to have none the less.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide