Print Thread
What is the best way to keep you kill fresh? #187986 06/20/07 10:36 PM
C
ChrisG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
I was just wondering what you guys/gals do to keep your kill fresh. I know that when fishing you put the fish directly on ice and they die there and will stay fresh for a while, but how do you keep something that is already dead good?

Re: What is the best way to keep you kill fresh? [Re: ChrisG] #187987 06/21/07 12:40 AM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
i use my refrigerator or my freezer....they keep meat fresh a while.

Re: What is the best way to keep you kill fresh? [Re: ChrisG] #187988 06/21/07 01:38 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Chris, I don't know if you're on a lease or what but if you are IMO I would hot skin my deer and quarter it up and put it in two gallon freezer bags and freeze it if you have a big enough freezer. If you're transporting your kill, pack the quarters in ice. Hope this helped a little.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: What is the best way to keep you kill fresh? [Re: Cool_Hand] #187989 06/21/07 02:25 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
walk in cooler works out really nice!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What is the best way to keep you kill fresh? [Re: Cool_Hand] #187990 06/21/07 11:39 AM
E
elkhunter7x6 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
E
Quote:

Chris, I don't know if you're on a lease or what but if you are IMO I would hot skin my deer and quarter it up and put it in two gallon freezer bags and freeze it if you have a big enough freezer. If you're transporting your kill, pack the quarters in ice. Hope this helped a little.

Those must be some small quarters to be able to put in two gallon bags.

I always just quarter my deer and hogs and put in Ice chest. I will carry the ice chest around with me in the back of the truck for five days. Changing out the water and ice daily. After five days of this the meat is bleed out really well and i butcher the meat myself.

Re: What is the best way to keep you kill fresh? [Re: elkhunter7x6] #187991 07/10/07 07:00 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I recommend that you gut your kill ASAP, get it to camp, rinse with water, let drip dry for a few minutes and hang it in a walk-in cooler (35 to 40 degrees F). Then you either quarter it and put it on ice for transport, or wrap it in a tarp and fill the cavity with ice and take it directly to your processing plant. The quicker you get the meat chilled to the bone, the less chance you have for the meat to spoil.

IMPEACH!! IMPEACH!! REVOLT!! REVOLT!! REVOLTING!! REVOLTING!!
Re: What is the best way to keep you kill fresh? [Re: ChrisG] #187992 07/10/07 08:10 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Gut it first.
Cape it all out. Try to save the cape if you can and cape it out for a shoulder mount at least. Even if your not going to mount the deer, you can work a deal with a taxidermist for that cape. Keep the cape dry but cold. put it in a bag but don't get it wet. Get the cape to the best cold storage or taxidermist ASAP.

The meat needs to be washed and cleaned if possible. Then quartered up and placed in your ice chest. You should be able to keep it that way in ice for about up to 5 days as long as you keep the meat ice cold.

If your worried about something on the meat, like say you busted a gut or hit that urine sack. Then you may want to put bit of vinegar in with the meat in the ice chest. This will also tenderize your meat. You will know if you put too much if your meat seems to turn a blue-ish color. When that happens, drain some of water out of the ice chest and put fresh ice in it. What you should do is wash that meat before even putting it in the ice chest and if your still worried, I would pour about 1-2 cups of vinegar in with it on the ice chest. You will only need to do this once. Don't repeat it after you have drain the water.
Also, draining the water will help keep your meat cooler longer and helps keep that ice from melting so fast.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: What is the best way to keep you kill fresh? [Re: ChrisG] #187993 07/10/07 09:47 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
A.M. SHOOT IT, GUT IT, WASH IT OUT, EAT BREAKFAST AND TAKE TO THE PROCESSOR

P.M. SHOOT IT, GUT IT, HANG IT IN SHADE TREE, WASH IT OUT, HUNT A.M. HUNT THEN TAKE IT TO PROCESSOR.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: What is the best way to keep you kill fresh? [Re: ChrisG] #187994 07/11/07 07:28 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Quote:

I was just wondering what you guys/gals do to keep your kill fresh. I know that when fishing you put the fish directly on ice and they die there and will stay fresh for a while, but how do you keep something that is already dead good?

I'm not sure exactly the question you're asking (immediately after the kill, or long term freezing)

Here's what I've found works good. If you have a cooler available at or near where you hunt it is good to hang a field dressed deer in it with it not being skinned. The only downfall is that it makes the animal harder to skin then when fresh. If you leave the skin on it the meat will not dry out nearly as bad. After the carcass has completely chilled down (1-3 days depending on how long I'm at the ranch) I'll skin, quarter it, and throw it directly in a large ice chest for the ride home. Once there I will de-bone all the meat and chunk the leg quarters and put 7 1/2 pounds in each gallon freezer zip-lok bag. I cut all my steaks and jerky meat and put them into bags and vacuum seal them. I have made jerky and cooked steaks as long as 14 months after sealing the meat and it tastes as fresh as the day I sealed it. I do not store the sausage meat for more then 5 months before I either make the worst or grind it up and vacuum seal it for hamburger. I also never season my hamburger meat as it will stay much fresher in the freezer without seasonings then with. This also allows me to season each bag of meat how I like when I'm cooking it whether it be hamburgers, breakfast sausage, or even a meatloaf.

One of the best things about actually freezing all of your meat for either sausage or hamburger is that when you take it out of the freezer and defrost it you will be amazed at how much blood drains out of the meat. I truly believe that this makes the sausage taste much better then seasoning and stuffing fresh meat.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide