Print Thread
A few questions about my dog. #184827 06/12/07 04:47 AM
C
ChrisG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Alright I am picking up my dog tomorrow and I was wondering what you vet. dog trainers thought. She is a half lab half gsp and I actually got her from a guy on the fishing forum. Her mom the GSP is a trained hunter and the father is a good looking yellow lab from what I have seen. Do you think she will have a strong instinct to hunt? What age should I start kennel training, and should I just get a larger kennel for the pup or start small? What commands should I start using in the beginning? What could I do to help bring out the hunter in her or would it even help? I believe she will be a great dog and I just want to do what ever I can to help her along the way. I am new to the whole dog training bit so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys for the feed back.

Chris

Re: A few questions about my dog. [Re: ChrisG] #184828 06/12/07 01:25 PM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
start kennel training NOW...as for the other stuff Im sure alot of response will come..Look back in the section and there is alot of good training advice already covered by some of the more knowledgeable on here...one that ring a bell right off hand was the topic of "what commands do you use"..good luck with your new pup...

Re: A few questions about my dog. [Re: ChrisG] #184829 06/12/07 11:14 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well, you say you are getting your pup tomorrow, but that was right after midnight, so I’m guessing that is really today. Congratulations on your new pup, and welcome to the forum!

I think most on here would agree with easton, start the kennel training now! I would just go to petco or one of those type stores and get a kennel like the one below:

Be sure to get one that has a sliding panel in it, that way you can keep it small at first (till pup learns not to piss in it, pups don’t like to sleep in their own piss), then you can adjust the panel as pup grows. Get one big enough, so when she is full grown, she can lie down and stretch out some. As for tonight and probably the next few, get ready for a whining pup! We had posts on here about ways to minimize the whining, maybe someone can post that thread, but eventually your pup will get over it and she will come to love her kennel, it will be her home, and where she finds comfort and security.

As for training, this will all depend on what you want your dog to do, you got me confused on your dog being half pointer and half lab, you should have got all lab ( ). j/k, seriously, both are trained differently, so you plan to use her for upland or migratory? I have a lab, and use her for dove/duck. I’m not a pro training, and some on here will tell you not to even listen to me , but I would say for now, don’t worry about rushing into training, let your pup be a pup for now, during the mean time, take your time and get yourself educated about your training plan, you should get some good advice on here, you just need to be more specific about what you want the dog to do for you.

Re: A few questions about my dog. [Re: Guy] #184830 06/12/07 11:23 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Congrats on the new pup, ya got the best of both worlds. Listen to these guys, they know their stuff. The kennel training starts now. It is a safe place they can go, without anybody messing with them. You'll see as your pup gets older how great it is. Having never kennel trained, before, these guys gave me all the advice and then some. I'll never have another dog that is not kennel trained.

Play with that puppy, and the training will come later

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: A few questions about my dog. [Re: TreeBass] #184831 06/13/07 01:17 AM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

these guys gave me all the advice and then some

sometimes you just get the "then some" and not much advice, just depends on which way the wind is blowing that day

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: A few questions about my dog. [Re: garrett] #184832 06/13/07 02:42 AM
C
ChrisG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Thanks for the advice Guys. I have had her for 41/2 hours now, have taken her to petsmart and to se my parents and so far no crying. She is very brave (sticking her head out the window of the truck during the 45min ride back to ft. worth)and it seems there is nothing I can do to stop her tail. I have not picked up a kennel yet but will tomorrow. I am moving to the panhandle and I hunt dove,pheasant,quail, geese and ducks and would like her to hunt all of these. I know she will not get big enough for geese but that is no bid deal. I will look back to the forums to get advice and once agian thanks.
Chris

Re: A few questions about my dog. [Re: ChrisG] #184833 06/13/07 05:28 AM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Just my opinion but I cringe when I see pups at pet stores...I have had the unfortunate experience of having 2 puppies that came down with Parvo..Both made it but it was not a pretty thing..Despite the rumors of a vaccine it is not 100 percent effective..Now that you have that kennel make that dog ride in it while in the truck/car..again that is a safe heaven for the dog even while in the vehicle..have fun with the new pup...

Re: A few questions about my dog. [Re: easton1025] #184834 06/20/07 12:23 AM
A
aghntr10 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I agree with easton on not taking them into pet stores, I lost a puppy this past fall to parvo, he didn't get it from a pet store he came from the breeder with it. However I took him to the vet in pets mart before I knew he was sick and after losing him I started thinking about how many other people take them into places like that without even knowing they were infected.

Re: A few questions about my dog. [Re: aghntr10] #184835 06/20/07 02:05 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
How's it going?? Getting any sleep

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: A few questions about my dog. [Re: TreeBass] #184836 06/20/07 02:28 AM
C
ChrisG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
yeah a little... she crys her ars off when I put her in the kennel but when I tell her to stop she shuts up for a few hours, then the cycle starts all over agian. The best thing is house training she will not poop in the house and only pees when it is an emergency. I tying the whole fetch thing right now but she does not quite have her all of her sense about her right now ( she get distracted very easly but things will come in time). So far the experience have been more good than bad.

P.S. easton she had a type of worms that had the same symptoms as parvo and when my vet called and told me I was like the dear jesus please no, but we are all better now.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide