Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: hunting coyotes with dogs [Re: gary roberson] #1519954 07/08/10 03:49 PM
T
texas republic Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
The only way I have seen it done with dogs is this...and yes it was very cool.

Hunter gets somewhere elevated with long range rifle and scope. Dog or dogs were trained to go out and basically pick a fight with some coyotes. Dogs would then turn tail and run back to the hunter with the coyotes in pursuit of the dogs(distracted). Hunter then pops each of them running back straight to him.

Re: hunting coyotes with dogs [Re: texashelms] #1525934 07/12/10 01:54 AM
Rockinmyshoe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Re: hunting coyotes with dogs [Re: Rockinmyshoe] #1528187 07/13/10 04:14 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
My father had a pack of Walker hounds when he died back in the 60's. I was 4 at the time. As a boy I got to hunt coyotes with Mr. Ralph Bridges a couple times. I also got to run hounds with Mr. Clyde Dobson and Mr. Billy Joe French when I was in High school, though they ran Treeing Walkers for Raccoon. Not many people know it but red fox were not common to North Texas and these men would travel to Missouri in the 50's to buy fox and bring them back to north Texas and release them. I guess running Wolfe hounds is a part of our heritage that is long gone now. What a shame.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: hunting coyotes with dogs [Re: HornSlayer] #1536423 07/17/10 04:24 AM
G
ggunn1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
We used to cross what we would call "hotbloods",greyhounds that came off the racetrack with a breed called "saluki"The saluki was originated in the middle east and was used to chase gazelles..The saluki had the distance to run five miles in anyweather but was not as fast as the "hotbloods"that we got off the track..this cross would make some of the best jackrabbit and coyote dogs..You would put a "jump"box on the back of a truck and load it with your dogs..The box was spring activated from the truck and the driver would drive the fields of west texas and southwest oklahoma until you jumped a coyote.You would pull the lever and the dogs would do the rest.Coyotes die real quick after they are hit with the lead dog..very seldom do you see a coyote fight back.he usually goes into shock..I moved to west texas around floydada and started this cross between the saluki and the greayhound..farmers would let you hunt and kill all their yotes..I made a pretty good living for a while..untill those dadburn great pyreneese took over..

Re: hunting coyotes with dogs [Re: ggunn1] #1537700 07/18/10 03:41 AM
BillD Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I really enjoyed this thread. Thanks to all that posted

Re: hunting coyotes with dogs [Re: BillD] #1538274 07/18/10 06:24 PM
M
Michael Rosamond Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Its a shame that so many people know so little about our hunting heritage. Most of the time coyotes are run with a pack of hounds. It is a dying sport because of the changing attitudes of other hunters. What would most of you think if a pack of hounds ran a coyote across your property? I can tell you the law would be called and you would be convinced you weren't going to see a deer for the rest of the year. Times have changed and we are the ones changing them and its not for the better.

Re: hunting coyotes with dogs [Re: Michael Rosamond] #1538297 07/18/10 06:43 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Michael Rosamond
Its a shame that so many people know so little about our hunting heritage. Most of the time coyotes are run with a pack of hounds. It is a dying sport because of the changing attitudes of other hunters. What would most of you think if a pack of hounds ran a coyote across your property? I can tell you the law would be called and you would be convinced you weren't going to see a deer for the rest of the year. Times have changed and we are the ones changing them and its not for the better.

True, but in the same scenario, if the hunter with dogs gets bit by a snake on your property he is likely to sue the owner. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: hunting coyotes with dogs [Re: Michael Rosamond] #1538460 07/18/10 08:28 PM
C
cwhite25 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: Michael Rosamond

This is so true. There is so much history to hunting in Texas that people including myself have no clue about. This has changed hunting in the great state of Texas. Especially all these out of state move ins. I wish there was more history when taking hunters safety in Texas. Learn more about people like Bob Ramsey and what he did for hunting. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by cwhite25; 07/18/10 08:29 PM.

"Saving Texas one hog at a time" TDHA MEMBER
Re: hunting coyotes with dogs [Re: cwhite25] #1538541 07/18/10 09:24 PM
686ppp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
They run walkers across the river in Leon OK. most evenings. Land owners dont shoot a dog for crossing a fence there. There is a guy here in Nocona that goes over there alot. They try to get to the yote before the dogs they dont use kill dogs. There was a high fence area around Decatur that used to run dogs but the yotes had holes and bunkers to get into.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide