750SpiritRdr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
local paper...
Hunters claim guide didn’t have ducks in row

By John Tompkins
The Facts

Three hunters hoped to shoot a few ducks but felt they landed a decoy and now they’re seeking damages in a lawsuit against the outfitter.

The hunters said they suffered “mental anguish” during a bad duck hunt in December they said was poorly planned by Larry Gore’s Eagle Lake and Katy Prairie Outfitters.

Brazoria County resident Lonnie LeVasseur and Houston attorney Steven Engelhardt sued Gore on March 17, saying the business violated the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Consumer Protection Act because Gore’s business misrepresented where the hunt would be and how it was guided, the suit states.

While the suit lists LeVasseur as a Brazoria County resident, a current address or phone number could not be found. Engelhardt did not return repeated phone calls seeking comment.

Gore, a Katy councilman who is unopposed in the May elections, refutes the allegations.

“I’ve been in this business for 33 years and I’ve never seen anything like this,” Gore said. “All of the claims are false and we intend to fight it.”

LeVasseur and Engelhardt are seeking $1,500 in compensatory damages and $2,000 for “mental anguish” among other damages, according to a copy of the suit filed in Harris County Court.

LeVasseur and Engelhardt allege their duck hunt guide took them to an open spot on one of the outfitter’s leases, when they were promised an area with more cover.

“It was represented that the duck hunt would be conducted over flooded fields, ponds and/or reservoirs with box blinds, sunken pit blinds and natural blinds with decoys as such and this hunt did not have any blind,” the suit states. “Plaintiffs sat on a one-foot levy without any blind or cover.”

The hunt was “a complete waste of time,” the suit states.

Engelhardt, LeVasseur and a third man on the hunt also were asked to pick up decoys afterward, “as if plaintiffs were providing the hunt rather than being on a guided hunt paying for services not provided,” the suit states.

While denying the hunters’ claims, Gore said he tried to make amends with them before the suit was filed.

“I offered to give them another hunt, but they refused,” Gore said.

He declined to comment further.

According to Gore’s Web site, guided day hunts for different types of ducks and geese cost $175.

“All hunts include access to our private lands, a guide, blinds, decoys or whitespreads and white parkas when needed,” the site states.

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: 750SpiritRdr] #1385019 04/23/10 03:58 AM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
I have heard alot of stories about his hunts out that way.....
Many have not been happy with it at all....claiming almost the exact same thing.......
Interesting to see how this plays out.......guess most just chalked it up to a bad experience.......

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #1385062 04/23/10 04:13 AM
750SpiritRdr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
This isn't the first time this has happened, but it might be the last depending how this all works out.

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: 750SpiritRdr] #1385069 04/23/10 04:21 AM
N
nuprofessor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Boy, I have seen ads for his outfitting service in national magazines and had thought I might give him a try. Well, not now. I guess I should not have worried, because I would have consulted the "THF EXPERTS" before making any plans.

CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE FOR TOMORROW. INVEST IN TOMORROW BY TAKING A CHILD HUNTING OR FISHING TODAY.
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: nuprofessor] #1385185 04/23/10 06:25 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
$1500 for a hunt! I see thousands of geese on the piece of PUBLIC land I go to every year! I've seen many complaints on him. I hope he gets burned.

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: devildog28] #1385413 04/23/10 01:45 PM
#
#Hayraker Online Happy
Chihuahua
Online Happy
Chihuahua
#
they are a bunch of dumb butts for paying that in the first place, second point, the guy filing the suit is a dirtbag ambulamps chaser, 3rd what a bunch of cry babies.

If you have a bad hunting experience, you do your best to let everyone know about it, but you don't file suit.

all of that is just my opinion though.

#sigline
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: #Hayraker] #1385581 04/23/10 02:35 PM
W
WhiskeyandMe Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Hayraker, I agree with some of what you said, but Gore has been doing this same thing for years...

I hear about it all the time from guys down there...

It is wrong what he does...

I think this is more of a "you aren't going to do this anymore, to another person" than an I am suing you for money deal.

J.J.

Looking for a Deer, Dove, Duck, Crow, Goose, Hog, or Turkey Hunt? Check us out! www.kentoutdoors.com

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #1385610 04/23/10 02:48 PM
750SpiritRdr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Yep, if one person can make an example of this "guide" then he'll be less likley to do this to other hunters.
DD28...1500 was compensatory damages, the hunt cost 175.00

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: 750SpiritRdr] #1385707 04/23/10 03:32 PM
D
DUAggie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Gotta disagree with most of you on this one. I hunt the Katy prairie/Eagle Lake and sit with my back to levies all the time. Farmers drain and fill their rice fields all the time so you can't guarantee there will even be water where you build a permanent blind. You hunt where the ducks are, blind or no-blind.

We had a pretty poor year this year and i bet if these guys shot their limits they wouldn't have complained about the no blind.

I have no connections with Larry Gore and we have all been on bad hunts before. Seems justifiable to me that he offered a free hunt.

Mental anguish????? Holy sheet i'm owed a ton of money then for every hunt i've been frustrated on!!!

Just my $.02

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: DUAggie] #1385740 04/23/10 03:47 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
lawsuit might be a little over board, but from what I hear about Larry Gore it was a long time coming

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: garrett] #1385763 04/23/10 03:56 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I am suing Garret and Brett for the hunt we had that we only shot spoonies.

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: sptaylor] #1385777 04/23/10 04:02 PM
#
#Hayraker Online Happy
Chihuahua
Online Happy
Chihuahua
#
If he's a bad guy, I hope he gets shut down, or changes his practices.

But "mental anguish" give me a break.

#sigline
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: #Hayraker] #1385788 04/23/10 04:05 PM
D
DUAggie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Like the article says...he's been in business for 33 years out there in Katy. I think if he truly was a bad guy he wouldn't have lasted this long.

I think it's just a few disgruntled hunters who were pissed about not shooting anything. We have all hunted with these types of people.

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: DUAggie] #1385817 04/23/10 04:20 PM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The THIRD FREAKIN LINE SAYS IT ALL....

"a Houston Attorney..." bs

i have been a fishing guide for 15 years....not once Have I guranteed a customer a 10 pound bass and not once have i guranteed a limit. I have had a "few" trips that went awry for one reason or another...weather, son hooked dad, customer got sick, I got sick, and I have given them their money back, no charged or scheduled another trip.

My big question is, can anyone GURANTEE MOTHER NATURE or the GAME to co-operate?

Wasteful Tax Dollars...IMO!

Last edited by Mr. Clean; 04/23/10 04:20 PM.
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: Mr. Clean] #1386126 04/23/10 06:57 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I've heard bad things about this outfit for years but these guys are dumbasses that sound like they don't really hunt or know what it's all about. If a guide thinks he can put you on more birds in one spot vs another then you want them to be flexible like that. Blinds are great...but I've hunted a lot and the % of time I've hunted out of an actual blind is pretty small. Layouts and make shift blinds...or standing behind something is the norm.

The way it sounds if these guys hunted with any outfitter...then that outfitter would be at risk.

From reading this Gore handled it all wrong...it was good to offer the free hunt...but in this case he should have just given a refund. That's the thing about being sued...even if you win you lose and he would have been better off just giving them their money back and saying sorry. In the end these guys don't understand the hunting vs killing concept.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: Marcstar] #1386584 04/23/10 11:29 PM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Gotta disagree with most of you on this topic.

I too have heard bad things about Gore's outfit. But the fact that they are taking it to court is absurd. They went on a bad hunt that did not meet expections...so what it's hunting. They were offered a free hunt and declined. Obviously I don't know the details but their are two sides to every story.

Outfitters live and die by their reputation. He is one of the biggest waterfowl outfitters in the state and has been for years. He is obviiously making some customers happy.

Most of the negative things I have heard about him are from other smaller outfitters in the area. I have also heard from some of his lease members about how he reserves the best spots for corperate clients and guided day hunts. I have taken that with a grain of salt.

Not defending Gore...I just think its crappy for a guide to be sued because of what seems to be a poor hunt. No outfitter could stay in business if this became the norm.

There is a guy that frequents this forum that used to be a top guide for Gore...I would be interested to here from him.

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: 750SpiritRdr] #1387041 04/24/10 03:50 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Quote:
Plaintiffs sat on a one-foot levy without any blind or cover.

I've seen plenty of ducks killed like this. Just sayin'.

[Linked Image]

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: Fooshman] #1387125 04/24/10 05:04 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I would hate to be in the guide business. There is no way all customers will shoot limits, so there will always be complainers. And if you are a high volume operation, there will be a lot of complainers.

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: Guy] #1387198 04/24/10 07:42 AM
T
TxDuck24 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Lawsuit..... thats kinda retarded....Now i went with larry gore a couple of yrs ago and felt like we got shafted as well..... the guides dog kept running around....... guide couldnt call all that good..... and we caught him sleeping.....se shot only 3 geese between 5 people..... but no law suit just let everyone know and move on..........thats just crazy

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
936-671-3407
Port O' Connor, Tx
www.rfguideservice.com
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: TxDuck24] #1387204 04/24/10 07:53 AM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
Things do happen and yes probably since the guy was a lawyer that is why the lawsuit.......
I don't doubt that he is trying to make an example of Gore as well......
I have had a few friends go and try out his operation and the same complaints......Guides sleeping or leaving them to hunt on their own......trying to take care of too many groups at once...
Dogs not under control.......shooting from levies that didn't have any birds fly over what so ever......

if you guide for a living....the main thing is make sure you scout, scout, scout with geese and ducks......

1 buddy had no birds whatsoever.......

I helped guide on year in Lubbock with an outfit and I got shafted by the guy running the deal......
He scouted for me the day I got to town.....took 4 guys goose hunting the next day.....first 2 hours.....not a single bird in a field made for prairie dogs....
Called him up and said what gives.......his group was 3 miles down the road having a killing......and had limited out....

we switched them out......to help....but I didn't help much more after that because it made me look bad......

Needless to say......they aren't in business anymore....

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #1387471 04/24/10 03:42 PM
B
BandedCoot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Wow... I sure hope that judge doesn't rule in the plantiffs favor... That would cause a whole bunch of mess no one wants to deal with....

Why does our society have to sue for every damn thing these days?

This makes no sense.

The guide should have given the money back to client, but I know a lot of guides that don't give money back.

All in all, it should be a lesson learned for both parties.

Guides- Don't guarantee anything
It's kinda like me being in insurance. If you don't know, don't make stuff up or guarantee something is covered because if it isn't you can get a lawsuit filed on you just like this. We have to carry our own Errors and Omissions Insurance as Agents because the lawyers will come after you for anything. How stupid is that?

Hunters- Do your homework before going on a guided hunt. Chances are someone on this board has hunted with the outfitter and if not that might be a sign that it is someone you might want to think twice about. Get good references before dropping that kind of cash on a guided hunt.

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: TxDuck24] #1387587 04/24/10 05:38 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TxDuck24
Lawsuit..... thats kinda retarded....Now i went with larry gore a couple of yrs ago and felt like we got shafted as well..... the guides dog kept running around....... guide couldnt call all that good..... and we caught him sleeping.....se shot only 3 geese between 5 people..... but no law suit just let everyone know and move on..........thats just crazy

Yeah, I have to agree with that. The market should take of the problem. If you use the guy, and you do not like the service, then you just don’t go back.

We had a Larry Gore thread on here I want to say 4 years ago, it went on for pages, I tried to find it, I think we deleted it got so out of hand. But if you do a search, you will find some other threads on Larry Gore, none of them good I could find.

But I just wonder how he stays in business if he is so bad, and it appears he is growing the business. Maybe his secrete is that he is good at knowing who his loyal customers are (probably rich ones $$$), he takes care of this customer base and even grows it, and the small guy (poor ones like myself grin) is not where he puts his focus, and this customer base is not top priority, has worse hunts, and where are the complaining comes from. confused2

Re: guided hunt problems [Re: Guy] #1387952 04/25/10 12:36 AM
T
TxDuck24 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Hey Guy..... Thats also kinda like Bayflats logde in seadrift...... if you dont stay there in there lodge and buy a big package trip or spend a bunch of money....... EXample.... my group and i booked a trip after christmas one.... for an airboat duck hunt on the bay..... you know ..... we wanted the experience of riding in a airboat and.... running balls through the wall on the flats ..... well when we got there the morning of our hunt...... we were informed then.. that we would not be in a airboat at all..... and that we couldnt get a reund on our deposit........ now the guys that stayed the night there and had a hunting and fishing trip booked got to ride first class in a airboat and well.... we just felt we got shafted

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
936-671-3407
Port O' Connor, Tx
www.rfguideservice.com
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: TxDuck24] #1390631 04/26/10 07:47 PM
F
FETCH_UP Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I have heard lots of complaints about him before but i have never done business with him so i cant say how true some are. Mental anguish...thats going too far. I'm wandering what would have happened had gore or whoever guided the hunters would have called them a few days before and let them know the changes that would be happening. Being honest with your clientele will go farther then getting them out there and screwing them around. Had Gore did that the hunters may not be suing them right now, which he may have as i dont know, and if he did then the hunters need to chalk it up to a bad experience and move on.

[Linked Image]
HRCH ACE MH
Triple D Duck Club
Re: guided hunt problems [Re: FETCH_UP] #1390788 04/26/10 09:25 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
cry cry cry

Levy equals natural cover. What a waste of time and taxpayer dollars. Imagine what will happen if the judge rules in favor of the crybaby hunters. I've hunted with Larry Gore in the past and have had anywhere from horrible to decent hunts. Fishing and Hunting, there are no guarantees. It amazes me how the attorney flexes his muscles with a lawsuit.
soap 2cents

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide