Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Reloaded with what? #115434 11/30/06 11:27 PM
Turtle Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Talked with a bud in Louisiana, they had the Wildlife and Fish (Game Warden) check them. The officer ask to see their shells and if he could have one of the reloads. He then cut it open and dumped out the shot to see what was inside. Seems they have had a rash of Steel marked reloads with lead. My buds were legal.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Turtle] #115435 11/30/06 11:33 PM
S
Sethfish Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Dang it. I guess I have to go buy some steel shot. Crap those guys are good.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Sethfish] #115436 12/01/06 12:34 AM
JustWingem Offline
Gentleman Jack
Gentleman Jack
I had a game warden cut open one of my bismuth reloads. After the small discussion he decided I was legal. I then asked for the 2 bucks to compensate for my loss. (just because he was a jerk, "for the lack of being able to use a better adjective")

DON'T GET CONFUSED BETWEEN MY PERSONALITY AND MY ATTITUDE. MY PERSONALITY IS WHO I AM...MY ATTITUDE DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE smile
Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: JustWingem] #115437 12/01/06 12:43 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I thought they just used magnets to see if it is lead or steel.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: JustWingem] #115438 12/01/06 12:47 AM
L
LukeSkyBlaster Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Had a federally take a magnet to all my shells once. He had a bad attitude. The state game wardens are usually nice and friendly but the feds will treat you like dirt. Even if you are clean.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: LukeSkyBlaster] #115439 12/01/06 01:02 AM
JustWingem Offline
Gentleman Jack
Gentleman Jack
Guy Magnets do not work on Bismuth. Just FYI.

DON'T GET CONFUSED BETWEEN MY PERSONALITY AND MY ATTITUDE. MY PERSONALITY IS WHO I AM...MY ATTITUDE DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE smile
Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: JustWingem] #115440 12/01/06 01:21 AM
C
Cast_and_Blast Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
yea bismuth is not steel, its non toxic shot and its expandable just like lead.

Last edited by Cast_and_Blast; 12/01/06 01:21 AM.
Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Cast_and_Blast] #115441 12/01/06 01:18 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
"he state game wardens are usually nice and friendly but the feds will treat you like dirt. Even if you are clean."

Amen Brother. I received a $550.00 ticket for a duck the two Feds said I shot, but was never recovered, even using a dog. The two claimed that I shot a Mottle duck during early Teal season and that it went down somewhere over the pothole we were hunting. I asked if I could use my dog to find this so-called duck, so off we went. The mystery duck was never found and 7 days later I received a ticket in the mail. The worst part about it was that all this took place in front of my 10 year old son. If Stacy Campbell ever checks you, be careful and good luck!

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Gdogg] #115442 12/01/06 02:54 PM
D
DoubleBayou Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
We have a Fed guy that drops a bicycle ove our fence and rides in every year. We had a guy some years back that didn't have his gun plugged; we were out of the marsh when he got there so he just got a recommendation.
Some of the old old school State wardens were hard butts, but most of the younger guys are fair but firm. An more than anything they are respectful young men.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: DoubleBayou] #115443 12/01/06 03:42 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
When I see one coming my way from off in the distance, I immediately stand up, unload my gun (make sure he sees me unload it), and get my license out. I say yes sir and no sir, and show respect, and never have problems. And I never give smart a s s remarks, that is just asking for trouble. If they think you did something wrong, and especially intentionally, they will not be nice even if you are nice.

The only time I was ever given a hard time by a game warden I was dove hunting on public land and was out of bounds, he was a real hard a s s with me, but I showed him how the book was miss marked, and the end he was nice and let me go. But this other guy who was hunting there as well (I did not know him), was a smart a s s, said stuff like “I have hunted here all my life”, while I said I was sorry and it won’t happen again, he let me go and took this other guy back to his truck, not sure what happened to him.

The first time I went duck hunting, I got a ticket because I did not have a type II permit, I was told by a friend that I did not need one on this lake. He was a hard a s s too at first, but nice in the end (after he gave me a ticket ), then said I could follow him on his rounds and he would show me some other good hunting spots.

These GWs have a dangerous job, every one they approach has a gun in their hand, not a job I would like to have. But show them respect and you should be ok.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Guy] #115444 12/01/06 03:50 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
But show them respect and you should be ok.

Always have and still do! I'm just saying that there are a few (I'm talking Federal Wardens) that abuse their powers.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Gdogg] #115445 12/01/06 03:55 PM
Turtle Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
DO like guys says, and be ready when they get to you. Have everything they are going to ask you for ready and hand it over befroe they even ask. You should be fine.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Gdogg] #115446 12/01/06 04:28 PM
Q
Quackbangsplash Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Q
I'm with you Gdogg. I'm always respectful and have everything ready if I've seen them coming, but some are jerks. My buddy and I ran into one on the LBJ grasslands a few years back. He had nothing to give me a ticket for, but my buddy got a ticket because he left 1 dove load in his bag and we were duck hunting next to a pond.

The thing that really torqued me is that it was clearly an accident having that shell mixed in at the bottom of his bag. He wasn't shooting them. We were legal on everything else. And if we didn't have dekes in the water and walked 10 yards away from the pond, we could have been dove hunting. And on top of that, this was a younger friend I was taking out to show him the ropes. $155 later he has a bad taste in his mouth regarding duck hunting.

And P.S...This is probably one of the most respectful kids you'll ever come across.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Quackbangsplash] #115447 12/01/06 04:39 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hey QBS, they ALL will write you a ticket on that. Even Ray Sasser wrote on article on that in the Dallas Morning News, I think it was this year or last. When I go duck hunting, I make darn sure I only have steel, I’m super careful about that because they will write you up even if it is one lost shell that got mixed up.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Quackbangsplash] #115448 12/01/06 04:43 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Quackbangsplash (Great name by the way)
I hope your friend still enjoys hunting and can chalk that one up to bad luck. Ironically, after that experience my son keeps telling me he wants to be a Federal Game Warden. When I asked him why, he told me that he would be able to understand things from the hunters perspective and realize that sometimes things are not always as they seem.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Gdogg] #115449 12/01/06 05:11 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

chalk that one up to bad luck.

No disrespect fellas, but I would chalk that up as a lesson learned, not bad luck. I have a shell belt I use just for duck hunting and a separate one for dove. This helps me make sure that shells don’t get mixed. If you use the same belt for both, or if you are the type to keep shells in your pockets, or bags, etc…this increases your risk of this happening.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Gdogg] #115450 12/01/06 05:14 PM
L
LukeSkyBlaster Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
I am also very respectful to the wardens but these federallys will leave a bad taste in your mouth no matter who you are. They will treat you like a criminal even if you have done no wrong. Be ready when you run into one and just do as they say.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Guy] #115451 12/01/06 05:32 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
My bad, poor choice of words. How many years have you been duck hunting?? You keep duck hunting, especially around the coast and one day you will see what I'm talking about. I heard the stories and never believed them until I got $550.00 ticket. Just imagine 3 men and one boy hunched down way below the grass and vegetation, the game warden was parked on the entrance, said he saw a Mottle duck go down through his binoculars. BS... How could he see who even fired the supposed shots. He couldn't, that's why he eventually issued tickets to everyone. We kept asking where the duck went down and he said somewhere over there. When I asked if we could go look using my dog, you could just see the tension and uncertainty coming from both the wardens. I kept calm and polite through the entire ordeal, not even thinking I would be tickted, and 7 days later I received a ticket in the mail. Merry freaking Christmas. What could I have possible done to prevent that?

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Gdogg] #115452 12/01/06 05:49 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

How many years have you been duck hunting??

This is only my 4th season duck hunting, but I’m a fast learner. No seriously, that sounds like a terrible experience you had, there are always bad apples, I’m certainly not saying otherwise. The only thing you can do is be respectful and hope for the best, but if you were, and you got a ticket for something you did not do, that is a bunch of crap. Did you go to court and talk to a judge and tell him your story? Don’t think I would have just mailed that check in.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Guy] #115453 12/01/06 06:05 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally I was going to fight it. The problem is I would have to attend a pre-hearing, pre-trial and then the actual trial, all of which would have taken place in Corpus Christi. After factoring in the cost of travel, lost work time and the advice I recieved from various sources, I decided to pay it and try to forget about the ticket as quick as possible. I do believe Game Wardens serve a valuable role in the hunting and fishing industry, not to mention the lives they save. I just wanted to point out that sometimes there is some wrong doing.

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Gdogg] #115454 12/01/06 06:05 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I believe we'd have have to take that one to court, if it was me.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Gdogg] #115455 12/01/06 06:09 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Is the DA in Corpus?

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: Guy] #115456 12/01/06 06:12 PM
Q
Quackbangsplash Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Q
Quote:

When I go duck hunting, I make darn sure I only have steel, I’m super careful about that because they will write you up even if it is one lost shell that got mixed up.

I know, and I personally am extremely careful about things like that, Guy, but this was a newbe and it was an honest mistake. The guy was only 17 or 18 at the time. Plus, and this is what gets me too is that this was a freaking little pond in the grasslands and it is not like this was a drinking source for the community which is why we have the law in the first place. Like I said before if he turned around and just was shooting at a dove he wouldn't get a ticket. Although when it rained the next time the same lead exposure would have taken place(if he was even shooting lead).

Gdogg, I think that is great about your son wanting to be a warden. A little common sense can go a long way into making the great outdoors just that...Great!

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: HWY_MAN] #115457 12/01/06 06:22 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I am with you Hwy-man. I am going to get my hour in the public eye and ear when it comes to that BS. First off-fed game warden or not, there not going to punk me and intimidate me in the field. If I am wrong write me a ticket or put me in jail, but you can bet I am not going to be their punk. I have always been a nice person respectful of others especially in law enforcement. But if a warden were to treat me like that we are either going to court and let the people decide or we are going to get it on right then and there. I have been LEO for many years and it is wrong to use your color of authority to intimidate the public. It is my firm belief that many men fought and died to give each and everyone of us the right to be free of such behavior. Because LEO gets paid to do a job does not mean I have to cowar to that person. It is also my firm belief that when this happens it is your right and duty as an American to take the time to tell the people just what has happened. It is your duty to go to court and describe the exact incident and behavior. Stand and fight that BS so the next guy does not have to. If enough people would take the time and fight then we might not be having this discussion because eventually it would change things. There go my .02

Re: Reloaded with what? [Re: wal1809] #115458 12/01/06 06:47 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

But if a warden were to treat me like that we are either going to court and let the people decide or we are going to get it on right then and there.

Dang WAL, you are a cowboy! Don’t think I would ever get into a mud wrestling match with a GW, I’m sure I would lose, but I would take it to court if I was in the right!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide