Forums46
Topics536,621
Posts9,714,972
Members86,971
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Randy H] #6995399 12/14/17 01:51 AM
W
WreakinHavoc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted By: Randy H
Extending the season wouldn't help me. When I was growing up in the nineties, we we're selective about our limits. Greenheads only, finish on gadwalls or teal. Let a couple thousand wood ducks fly every morning without ever picking up a gun. Don't waist your limit on woodies, mallards will be here shortly. I had about 5 different places to hunt, all with tons of ducks.

For the past 10+ years, none of those places hold many ducks anymore. We don't see 10 % of the ducks in any given day that I had 15-20 years ago in range to kill.

They are simply not coming through here anymore.

I hear that from a lot of the older guys... just the stories and old timey pics I see makes me wish I could hunt back in the 90s.

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6995525 12/14/17 03:24 AM
B
Bluesea112 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Sorry, I thought I read that the treaty mandated a 60 day season. I should have done the math and I would have seen that we have more than 60 days.
Yes, I am extremely frustrated. I hunt north central Texas, and I have seen a steady decline in duck numbers over the past 6 years on public water. What kills me is having to hunt in 80 or 90 degree temps in early November and shoot a big fat zero to boot. It finally gets cold when our season was half way over. Our season ends the end of January just as I am starting to see migrating birds coming into my public spots.

For the guy who tried to make me look foolish for suggesting that global warming could delay the migration I give you this: http://www.ducks.org/conservation/public...hanging-climate

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6995571 12/14/17 04:08 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
U dont look foolish believing in a warming of the planet, i believe it too, and personally witnessed it the last 40 years as a hunter in europe as well as here. 40 years is nothing. In both continents i see many outfitters closing their clubs to move 500-1000 miles more North every 10-15 years to chase that snowline and or colder weather.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 12/14/17 04:11 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: beaversnipe] #6995605 12/14/17 05:15 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
U dont look foolish believing in a warming of the planet, i believe it too, and personally witnessed it the last 40 years as a hunter in europe as well as here. 40 years is nothing. In both continents i see many outfitters closing their clubs to move 500-1000 miles more North every 10-15 years to chase that snowline and or colder weather.

Well the facts say that the average global temperature has only risen 1.4 degrees since 1880...

So not much data to support global warming.

However, facts also show that climate change is real and has always been a natural occurrence. My issue is that we think we have something to do with it or have the ability to manipulate it by silly laws which require our vehicles to filter exhaust and other stupid crap like that.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6996042 12/14/17 04:14 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
It's all those evil cow farts! mad

Eat a steak, smoke a brisket... save the planet. Just doin my part.

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: BradyBuck] #6996099 12/14/17 05:00 PM
C
Cole4544 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Well the facts say that the average global temperature has only risen 1.4 degrees since 1880...

So not much data to support global warming.

However, facts also show that climate change is real and has always been a natural occurrence. My issue is that we think we have something to do with it or have the ability to manipulate it by silly laws which require our vehicles to filter exhaust and other stupid crap like that.

About the most sensible comment I have seen about "Climate Change". Climate change has been occurring long before human beings, and will occur long after we are gone. Climate change is real and happens naturally, it will continue with or without our help. People are actively manipulating the numbers on temperature changes throughout the world to make them more dramatic than they actually are; why you ask? MONEY. Global Warming is BIG MONEY right now for those of whom are profiting from it ( the same people throwing up the red flags ).

Fishing: www.privatewaterfishing.com
Hunting: www.privatewaterhunting.com
Phone: (214) 871 - 0044
Email: info@privatewaterfishing.com
Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: WreakinHavoc] #6996134 12/14/17 05:31 PM
R
RiverRunner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: WreakinHavoc
Originally Posted By: Randy H
Extending the season wouldn't help me. When I was growing up in the nineties, we we're selective about our limits. Greenheads only, finish on gadwalls or teal. Let a couple thousand wood ducks fly every morning without ever picking up a gun. Don't waist your limit on woodies, mallards will be here shortly. I had about 5 different places to hunt, all with tons of ducks.

For the past 10+ years, none of those places hold many ducks anymore. We don't see 10 % of the ducks in any given day that I had 15-20 years ago in range to kill.

They are simply not coming through here anymore.

I hear that from a lot of the older guys... just the stories and old timey pics I see makes me wish I could hunt back in the 90s.

I can echo Randy H's post, but take it back to the 80's...shot my first duck in '87 and from then until about 2003, we were Mallard snobs. Lots of ducks, little pressure, leases were cheap, and hunting public was only an afterthought.

I am starting to subscribe to the 'paper duck' theory....on paper there are a lot of ducks, but I am hearing more and more from guys further and further north about 'no ducks here, must still be north of us'.

Granted, no till farming, all of the extra flooded ground (pumped and kept open) north of us, refuges, snow cover or lack thereof, etc..also play a part in us not seeing the birds further south.

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6996173 12/14/17 06:04 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Oklahoma will be the new north Texas, wait, it already is.
well, that was fast

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: I think duck season should open in December in Texas [Re: Bluesea112] #6996349 12/14/17 08:03 PM
J
jnd59 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
I used to think that the only use for Oklahoma was as a good buffer between Texas and any invasion from Kansas. But now with ducks we should annex Oklahoma. We can still fight the J hawks there if need be. smile

Last edited by jnd59; 12/14/17 08:04 PM.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide