Forums46
Topics536,994
Posts9,719,228
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: pigplinker] #6896690 09/23/17 11:27 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: pigplinker
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I check my zero with a cold, clean bore. The same way it will be when I'm hunting.

Yes. rifle

Read this thread, and it explains why:

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4661544/1/Rifle_Cleaning_for_deer_season

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6896740 09/24/17 12:36 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't know the answer here. But the question was not adequately answered in the imbedded thread as to why benchrest shooters clean every 3-5 rounds. They shoot for precise accuracy. If cleaning the bore resulted in "pie plate" accuracy, they wouldn't do it.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6896782 09/24/17 01:25 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Are we bench rest shooting here, or are we hunting? Are we shooting a bench rest rifle in this case? There's two types of shooting disciplines here. I'm using the one that works for hunting and match shooting where you don't clean your rifle every other shot. Which method do you use? Which method have you shot that works for you? I've shot enough to know what works and what doesn't on hunting, tactical and long range rifles.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: ChadTRG42] #6896802 09/24/17 01:36 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Are we bench rest shooting here, or are we hunting? Are we shooting a bench rest rifle in this case? There's two types of shooting disciplines here. I'm using the one that works for hunting and match shooting where you don't clean your rifle every other shot. Which method do you use? Which method have you shot that works for you? I've shot enough to know what works and what doesn't on hunting, tactical and long range rifles.

Accuracy is accuracy.

If cleaning every few rounds affects accuracy so much, please explain why benchrest shooters do it. If you can. That's your entire premise, after all.

I said I don't know enough to stake out a hard and fast position. My belief is a fouling shot or two or three is needed/helpful after cleaning. But I don't clean my barrels all that often. And I don't shoot lots of rounds. So that's just my belief/method.

I am prepared to accept that not cleaning until accuracy suffers is good practice.

But you have still not explained why the guys obsessed with pinpoint accuracy clean their barrels every few rounds and how that squares with your (very condescending) statement to another poster who cleans his barrel that such a practice results in "pie plate" accuracy.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6896807 09/24/17 01:44 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I would think that starting with a barrel in the sweet spot and then cleaning it slightly after every few rounds would be the most accurate way to do things but in a hunting situation especially while hog hunting with say thermal at night are you gonna have time to clean the barrel after every 3 shots in the field? This is just one situation but there are many others where I wouldn't want to have to clean my barrel after every couple shots. Id rather get it fouled up and have it shoot MOA or maybe even better than MOA and not have to worry about it for a whole season or longer. I don't want to waste time shooting cleaning fouling and on and on when I could be hunting or getting stuff done around camp. When shooting benchers you would want the barrel to be as close to the same consistency as possible for every shot we are talking 1/4 inch difference in poi being an issue, there is no issue hunting with a rifle that is right at 1 MOA but thats not something you want in a competition right? This is just my opinion but seems like common sense.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6896809 09/24/17 01:48 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
If cleaning every few rounds affects accuracy so much, please explain why benchrest shooters do it. If you can.
The issue is when you zero your rifle with a fouled barrel and then clean it to where its no longer fouled. This will change the POI on your first few shots after cleaning until the barrel is fouled again. Its not rocket science.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: SapperTitan] #6896811 09/24/17 01:49 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
If cleaning every few rounds affects accuracy so much, please explain why benchrest shooters do it. If you can.
The issue is when you zero your rifle with a fouled barrel and then clean it to where its no longer fouled. This will change the POI on your first few shots after cleaning until the barrel is fouled again. Its not rocket science.

I get it sapper.

I just asked a question.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6896815 09/24/17 01:51 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

I get it sapper.

I just asked a question.
jeez it was just an answer not an assault.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6896822 09/24/17 01:55 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Didn't take it as one.

How often to clean is a subject just like how (or even whether) to "break in" a barrel. Ten different experts will give you ten different answers.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6896834 09/24/17 02:05 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I don't bench rest shoot. Why they do it, not sure, and I don't care. Many shooters and reloaders have gotten themselves into trouble piggy backing their methods over to a hunting or tactical rig.

But here's what I can tell you about a clean, cold bore (CCB) shot. From a consistency stand point, if you fired 1 round, chronographed it (got the bullet velocity), and cleaned and fired the rifle again, and did this 10 times, you would have a VERY high extreme spread on your velocity readings. Very high, meaning easily over 50 fps ES. (and most likely a larger group than if the barrel were fouled in) Now, if I have a rifle that I'm making a cold bore shot (not CCB, but just a cold bore shot) at longer range or the shot is needed to be very precise, I don't want to have a high ES that can throw my shot off simply due to a fps variance from a clean bore. A barrel that has been fouled in (shot about 5-10 times) can now shoot in a consistent manner, from shot to shot to shot.

When shooting bench rest, they only shoot 100 or 200 yards, and having a low ES does not matter to them. Their bullets are generally barely stable also. I've debated this bench rest technique vs. hunting/target shooting for years. They have their methods, we have ours.

But if you don't know enough about the matter, how can you even state an opinion on the matter. You even said "My belief is a fouling shot or two or three is needed/helpful after cleaning." So, if you do this yourself, but say cleaning after every shot is fine for solid accuracy and consistency, that's contradictory.

Tell you what, bring out a rifle or two of yours, and lets put it to the test. I'd love to figure this out. I'll even bring a 308 or another rifle to "test" this and put some solid numbers to it.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6896843 09/24/17 02:08 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't have a hard opinion. Just pointed out what I did. I said I didn't know and didn't claim to be an expert. I didn't say cleaning after every shot or few shots is good or bad. I just asked why benchrest guys do it.

You do claim to be an expert. You're the one a few posts ago claiming it results in "pie plate" accuracy. Which is why I directed the question to you. You answered it. You don't know and don't care. Thank you.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6896845 09/24/17 02:08 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Judd, what say you on the bench rest topic!!!??

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: ChadTRG42] #6897172 09/24/17 03:57 PM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: pigplinker
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I check my zero with a cold, clean bore. The same way it will be when I'm hunting.

Yes. rifle

Read this thread, and it explains why:

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4661544/1/Rifle_Cleaning_for_deer_season

I do shoot with a dry bore, and some times light fouling in it. I don't leave oil in the barrel and I do run several dry patches to clean any bore solvents used. I shoot a cold barrel when sighting in. I want to make one shot count. I am not offended by anything said here and can appreciate the expert advise. I look at it as more education that I can use. Thanks Jerry T.

Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6897387 09/24/17 06:56 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Benchrest guys would rarely (I'd say never but I'm sure someone has done it) shoot a clean bore shot as a record shot. They may clean a lot but the fact they would almost never make the first clean bore shot for score says something.

The short range guys are the ones who clean all the time and they rarely shoot over 200y too.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Checking your rifles Zero before season [Re: StephensCnty308] #6897438 09/24/17 07:48 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Clean barrels are nothing but trouble.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index