Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: scalebuster] #6177603 02/10/16 05:20 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
N
Easier said than done. I would do exactly that but this dog is such an athlete that he would get me before I could contain him. I think I have a plan. I am going to put my old faithful DT bark collar on him along with the leash and as soon as he starts barking and showing aggression, that bad Azz collar will go off and eat him up until he quits. I then help him out of box with leash.

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6177710 02/10/16 06:28 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
You might consider using your ecollar, instead of the bark collar. That way you can control just how much juice he is getting. Some dogs handle high juice different than others.

One of mine was getting grouchy, and growling for a few days a month, and then would go back to being normal. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on, and the bad attitude was lasting longer. I had changed to trifexis heart worm preventive. The best I can figure, it was causing him to be lethargic. The tiredness led to a nasty attitude. He would still hunt like normal, but after we got home, he would growl at anyone that even spoke in a room he was close to.
I was ready to have the vet do a full work up on him, but realized it would start the day after he took the heart worm meds. I changed him over to Heartgard, and he went back to normal. My other two dogs take Trifexis, and have no problem with it. It just didn't sit well with him.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6177745 02/10/16 06:52 PM
N
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
N
I have thought about using a water nozzle and spraying him down with a jet stream in the box every time he barks or growls at me. I know that it will make a mess but at this point I don't care. The box will have a week to dry out between hunts. This scenario has repeated itself for four weekends in a row. Enough is enough! I am bound and determined to gain the upper hand on him again.

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6177916 02/10/16 09:15 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I would not spray him with water.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6177962 02/10/16 10:00 PM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Unload the other dogs, then open his kennel. If he growls, close the door and leave him for a couple of hrs, then try it again. Leave him all night if you have to

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: Birdhunter61] #6178268 02/11/16 01:09 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
Unload the other dogs, then open his kennel. If he growls, close the door and leave him for a couple of hrs, then try it again. Leave him all night if you have to
Or 2 days. It's either that or welding gloves and scalebusters remedy. I've never had a dog do that to me but not sure I would react too kindly to it.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: Birdhunter61] #6179097 02/11/16 05:21 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

My male won't get out of the dog box when I get home. He hasn't become aggressive, but will do everything he can not to come out. So I just take my other dog out and start unpacking everything. When all is put up, I open the door and see if he'll come out. If not, then I check on him an hour or so later. By the time he has to use the bathroom he'll come out.

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6179439 02/11/16 10:22 PM
N
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
N
The first time this happened, I left him in the box for 24 hours. Nothing changed. He was bound and determined to guard his turf in the box. I tried the morning after the original incident and no progress, then went to work all day and came home around 5:00. He was still soured up. I finally backed my mule up to the backyard gate and lined him up and opened the door. Took him about 5 minutes to come out. He was fine and acting normal with 10 minutes.

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: Birdhunter61] #6179520 02/11/16 11:07 PM
Z
zbot11 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Z

I saw similar posts on RTF regarding this situation, but I disagree. What is this teaching the dog? You can stay in YOUR kennel for as long as YOU want to. Is that the behavior we're trying to enforce?

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: zbot11] #6179843 02/12/16 02:37 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I think the longer this goes on the worse it is going to get. Time to nip it in the bud. Next time you load him after a hunt, tighten his collar good and tight where he can't slip it. Leave a leash tied to the door hooked to the collar. Tell him kennel or whatever command you use to unload. Then yank him out and when he quits being pissed off let him down to the ground. Cutting off the air will get his attention. Sort of like forced retrieve training or whoa barrel training. When you get the desired result release the pressure and tell him good. Load him up again and repeat until he comes out willingly. I don't care if it takes all damn day. You can use a electric collar too if you do it correctly. Force to obey.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6180223 02/12/16 02:42 PM
B
BAS Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Be careful how much vinegar. Does he like treats and praise? I'd start there with sweet talking before I'd go to ear pinch or e-collar.

Can he ride home in the cab on a hunt or two? I'd want him to feel good about arriving back at the casa a few times.

So, your dog is never sharp with other dogs or animals, cats, varmints, etc? I've seen that dog aggression in the crate before, but it seemed to be a territorial, "this is my den" response since it occurred at new locations and not familiar locations. Luckily, it wasn't my dog and his aggressive behavior increased beyond just the crate.

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6180539 02/12/16 06:00 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I don't think I would ever offer a dog a treat for growling at me, or let a territorial (although it sounds more like possessive aggressive) one ride in the cab. Territorial dogs guard large areas, and possessive ones guard smaller ( food, bone, crate) things. You have a dog in the cab come unglued while driving, and things could go bad quickly.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6180963 02/12/16 11:31 PM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Tony has a good suggestion. I would run a full battery of tests on him. However, weird things happen with dogs. Some event you missed may have triggered this behavior. One time I had a retriever that got into some wild mushrooms up camping. She got very sick but 6 hours later was ok. From that point on, she would not eat out of a stainless steel bowl. She would just bark at it. Maybe she saw flames come out of it while on the mushrooms - mad

Assuming that all is good with your dog's blood tests, let's try to figure out why and where things get bad. It sounds like you have determined that the lease is fine but the house is not. I would try some other areas like at the park, in a parking lot, in front of the house, at the neighbor's house, etc... If he is ok in other spots then drive over to another kennel with barking dogs, stop outside and try to unload him. You mentioned there are other dogs at home. See if the problem is due to the other dogs being around.

Tip: get yourself a pair of welding gloves while trying to sort this out. For now, I would also keep a leash on him while in the kennel, with part of it hanging outside. This will help you get him out and also give you something to grab in case he tries to bolt.

Let me know what you figure out.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: Sweese] #6181481 02/13/16 04:45 AM
Sherpa Dog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: Sweese
She would just bark at it. Maybe she saw flames come out of it while on the mushrooms - mad

Not really a laughing matter.. But I did get a little chuckle trying to picture this one flame

Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6184712 02/15/16 10:53 PM
N
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
N
Here's an update on the aggressive dog while in the dog box. We stopped on the way home from the lease at the Stripes Gas Station out past Weatherford at the Hwy. 281 exit. I took one of my leashes and snapped it on and unloaded him to relieve himself. I left the leash on him and ran it through the top of the door to the dog box snapping it to the door hasp. Once I got home, I unloaded him first literally pulling out of the door pretty forcefully. He was not too happy but once he was out his aggression subsided. I let him jump down and I walked him around a couple of minutes until his attitude changed. He let me reach down and pet him and rub him up. Put him in the back yard to stretch out with no problems. Things are not perfect yet, but a lot better than the previous 4 weekends. He will not have to have his head knock against the top of the dog box too many times before he realizes that it is easier to just come on out and act pretty. For now the leash will stay on for the ride back home. Besides that, he had 15 covey finds in about a 2 hour stretch this weekend. He does not mess around once he is down in the field. His performance Sunday morning was one for the ages. He had 5 different covey finds in the last 30 minutes of the morning in the heat, 9 finds total for the morning. In all, it was the best performance by one of my birddogs I have ever seen and I have been doing this for almost 50 years. I have to keep him and get his dog box etiquette straightened out. He is just too good of a birddog.

Last edited by NorthTXbirdhunter; 02/15/16 10:55 PM.
Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6184881 02/16/16 12:27 AM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Here's an update on the aggressive dog while in the dog box. We stopped on the way home from the lease at the Stripes Gas Station out past Weatherford at the Hwy. 281 exit. I took one of my leashes and snapped it on and unloaded him to relieve himself. I left the leash on him and ran it through the top of the door to the dog box snapping it to the door hasp. Once I got home, I unloaded him first literally pulling out of the door pretty forcefully. He was not too happy but once he was out his aggression subsided. I let him jump down and I walked him around a couple of minutes until his attitude changed. He let me reach down and pet him and rub him up. Put him in the back yard to stretch out with no problems. Things are not perfect yet, but a lot better than the previous 4 weekends. He will not have to have his head knock against the top of the dog box too many times before he realizes that it is easier to just come on out and act pretty. For now the leash will stay on for the ride back home. Besides that, he had 15 covey finds in about a 2 hour stretch this weekend. He does not mess around once he is down in the field. His performance Sunday morning was one for the ages. He had 5 different covey finds in the last 30 minutes of the morning in the heat, 9 finds total for the morning. In all, it was the best performance by one of my birddogs I have ever seen and I have been doing this for almost 50 years. I have to keep him and get his dog box etiquette straightened out. He is just too good of a birddog.

Where's your lease?

Say When.....
Re: Need advice...Dogbox Problem [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6184883 02/16/16 12:27 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thanks fr the follow up. Looking good.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide