Forums46
Topics537,952
Posts9,731,041
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What temps are bearable to you? [Re: DeadRooster] #5856291 07/31/15 01:59 AM
M
MetroCat07 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: DeadRooster
I'm nearly 50. I avoid tent camping at almost all costs. I have a 31' travel trailer with 2 super slides, A/C, heat, a shower (with hot and cold water), and a nice pillow-top queen-size mattress.

Well that's fine if you have good roads to your spot at the lease, otherwise you're stuck with the drunken masses with their screaming kids on bikes.

Re: What temps are bearable to you? [Re: MetroCat07] #5856298 07/31/15 02:03 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Been a bit since I tent camped, but anything between 40 and 55 at night is great. Anything above that just can't sleep, probably because I like full covers. Plus I like the sound of a fan blowing.....thanks wife.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: What temps are bearable to you? [Re: MetroCat07] #5856515 07/31/15 06:51 AM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
When the temp drops below 55 I start getting cold. When I rise for hunting, if the temp is above 55 I wear only one layer under the clothing. If it's below 55 I bundle up.

In the house we sleep with the a/c on 72 at night. With the ceiling fans running on high. It helps me breathe better through my deviated septum with moving air.

[b][/b]
Re: What temps are bearable to you? [Re: MetroCat07] #5856670 07/31/15 01:13 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Whenever I camp unless above the timber line I use a parachute hammock or if weight is not an issue especially hunting in Texas when I feel like staying out I use a woven one. We mostly camp from horse back so a hammock is easy to carry. You stay way cooler in a hammock than on the ground in the heat and way warmer off the cold ground in the cold. I also don't like be on the ground with my horse tied nearby. It is also easier on the old back. Plus you are safe from creepy crawlers and what not, skip the tent unless it is raining or snowing. I would rather be out in the elements, for some its a comfort factor but really kinda of silly and added hassle for most applications. If there are bad bugs a tent will just be a trap for you, better off with some deet out in the open.

Air conditioning ruins our ability to regulate body temperature. Not saying I don't appreciate it but it really messes you up. You can see the effect it has on fat old house dogs. When you are cold you can eat more, when you eat more you create more heat from your body. This is a survival mechanism for winter weather, being artificially "climatized" all the time by ac lets you eat like a cow when it 100+ outside. Creating a really bad effect for obesity very present in Texas. I am by no means a small guy or on diets I eat whatever I want and plenty of it.

Keep a dog outside like it should be all day with plenty of shade and water that dog will stay in great shape. You could leave a buffett of dog food around and it won't eat more than it needs. Try working outside in the heat without having adjusting to it and then go eat the same size meal you would normally you probably can't get halfway through it without feeling like puking. Try chugging icewater after being in the heat all day it'll make you vomit.

I have found working long hot summers all my life not to over eat or get into the ac trap. Sure its great at the end of the day or to get out of the midday heat. A lot of people start sweating and like women head for a shower and clean clothes cause momma told them not to get dirty. When you sweat it helps cool your body off all you need is a breeze, good loose fitting clothing, and good hat. A sweated through shirt when you have been in the heat all day will make you freeze inside a 72 degree house and feel like heaven in the shade of oak tree with a light breeze even when it is 105. I routinely stay outside most of the 100+ degree weather. I wear long sleeves and a hat. I also have a full beard. A lot of guys think I am crazy but I keep the sun off my skin, the sweat with a breeze keeps me cool and at night even a 75 degree house feels like an icebox. If I stay trapped in the house like on sunday with the ac blasting I can eat and be lazy all day and outside sound like hell. Granted I do not live in a concrete jungle where trees are sparse and the only good breeze comes from traffic blowing by.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: What temps are bearable to you? [Re: MetroCat07] #5857338 07/31/15 08:30 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Tent camping...there isnt a temp that is bearable

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index