Veteran Tracker
Good on ya... up

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Simple Searcher] #5823961 07/09/15 02:40 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I did some trading with a landowner many years ago where I would work for a chance to hunt. I was an electrician and I wired up a barn and added lights and outlets here and there. I almost became better than family when he saw gates had been fixed, trash was picked up, and blinds had been repaired when I would go out hunting. And he got a report every day on what I saw or shot. I can still call and go hunting there any time I want.
So, if you have a trade that can get your foot in the door, it might be worth a try.

Yes sir! That's what I'm talking about. I have hunted several properties including the property that I mainly hunt deer on now because I was given an opportunity to prove myself as someone who cared about the land and did things that needed to be done when it was hot, or cold, or raining, whatever, and everyone else had excuses as to why they didn't help with anything in the off season. If given the chance step up, bust your butt, and do things without being told to within reason. That sort of thing goes a long way especially when a land owner is really in need. Need to re-wire the barn and put in lights & receptacles/panel....done. Need to mow, need to paint, need to fix the septic, fix the fence, fix the tractor, fix the AC, trim trees clear brush, help with the cows, pick up trash that's not yours...etc. If you meet someone who is needing help be straight up with them that you are looking for a place to hunt, you are on a low budget, but are willing to work to earn your keep. There are actually LO's out there who are looking for just that, just have to meet them.

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: skinnerback] #5825498 07/10/15 03:29 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
You know, I tried that once, letting people come out and shoot hogs cause they were a problem. For Free.
Here's what happens.
I had feeders out, but being deer season was long past, they were all empty.
First thing I would hear was, "Your feeders are empty"!!!
Or, Once Someone committed to come out and hunt and we were talking, they would ask if there were any feeders on the place and if they had corn in them. I would then tell them no. Then they would say would you mind putting corn in them and we will pay for the corn when we get there or they wanted me to dump corn out a week before they came and pay for the corn when they get there. Being the guy I am, I did, and end up short of money that I spent for them.
Another thing that would happen, have somebody talk me into putting corn out, plan a weekend, I make the 3 hour drive out there to meet them and wait. About an hour or so after the arrival time has past, I call the guy only for him to tell me he can't make it that weekend. Doesn't bother calling me to let me know. Then, the ones that did come, I would have to pick up dang ole piss bottles left at the stands that we had set up for deer hunting. After a few of these "free hunts", I had enough.
So what did me and my brother start doing? We started selling hog hunts. Worked out better this way. Knowing I got paid, picking up trash didn't seem all that bad then. And if they didn't show up, I still had the deposit, which paid for my gas up there and back.

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: sqiggy] #5825585 07/10/15 04:45 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
That's a shame, but that's not what always happens. In addition to all of the work, I also keep 7 feeders going year round out of my pocket but we shoot deer and pigs on this place and I can take my kids that's why I do it. The LO can come and take his kids. It's normally a fun family environment. Been on a number of paid deer leases with outside members that didn't work out in the past. Got my foot in the door with these folks almost 20 yrs ago. We take care of the place, even mowed and trimmed their family cemetery down the road the other day when it was 100 degrees. That's what I was talking about when I said to step up. I don't pay for pig removal on other properties, that's business not pleasure grin .

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Lead Kisses] #5825702 07/10/15 12:24 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
No, it isn't always what happens, but it happens with enough frequency to scare off landowners such that most are not apt to just let any new person hunt their place for free to purportedly take care of a problem. The guest hunter is seen as more trouble than the hog problem.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Lead Kisses] #5825905 07/10/15 02:30 PM
C
Carlos B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
That's so sad. Some people just don't have that sense of community anymore, they want a handout without giving anything back. I wish I had a trade so I could help out someone with land and let me hunt. But, I have a white collar job and have no tools to help out someone with their land. So, most of the time I have to pay for hog hunting but most of the time the outfitter cannot guarantee hogs and I end up wasting time and money and feeding hogs/deer for other people.

If you've found a LO/Hunter and have a great relationship, do not lose it. It is hard to find that anymore.

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Carlos B] #5825998 07/10/15 03:32 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Carlos B
So, most of the time I have to pay for hog hunting but most of the time the outfitter cannot guarantee hogs and I end up wasting time and money and feeding hogs/deer for other people.

outfitter cannot guarantee a kill as that's not hunting,,, it's called shooting
There are places that do that, fenced in hogs, no where to go, you pick and choose which grocery hog you want

if anybody out there want to trade hard labor for hog hunt
I'll make them a deal

I've got deep ruts in the road from all the rain back in May
I need cedars cut, trunks limbed, drag and fill in ruts so vehicles can drive over
without bottoming out

need dirt shovel to fill on top of trunks

it's hot out there, I don't expect anybody to work non stop , there will
be water breaks etc ... but come prepare to put in some honest work

hunt starts at 7pm to midnight or when you can't take it anymore
bring your green laser, night vision, thermal

I can be reached through PM

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: cabosandinh] #5826031 07/10/15 03:56 PM
C
Carlos B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
So, most of the time I have to pay for hog hunting but most of the time the outfitter cannot guarantee hogs and I end up wasting time and money and feeding hogs/deer for other people.

There are places that do that, fenced in hogs, no where to go, you pick and choose which grocery hog you want

I meant that there are some outfitters offering these hog hunts but when you show up at the place, there are no tracks and feeders look unattended.

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Lead Kisses] #5826033 07/10/15 03:56 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've found the vast majority of places that have "too many hogs" don't have a population you can count on. The hogs may come through every few days or weeks, and do some damage while there, but are rarely around when you are hunting. I have been a couple places that were exceptions to that rule. You will get sick of cleaning them on those type of places.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Carlos B] #5826039 07/10/15 04:00 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

I meant that there are some outfitters offering these hog hunts but when you show up at the place, there are no tracks and feeders look unattended.

I have 13 feeders on my place

4 I personally refill every 2 months
drop corn 6x a day

my cams will have 2000 - 8000 pics of them coming out every day/night

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Lead Kisses] #5826084 07/10/15 04:28 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I would like to see that. How about running the pics together in Movie Maker or some other video program and posting them to YouTube? That would be cool.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5826135 07/10/15 05:16 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I would like to see that. How about running the pics together in Movie Maker or some other video program and posting them to YouTube? That would be cool.

I don't have time

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5826158 07/10/15 05:32 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
No, it isn't always what happens, but it happens with enough frequency to scare off landowners such that most are not apt to just let any new person hunt their place for free to purportedly take care of a problem. The guest hunter is seen as more trouble than the hog problem.

I understand that, and is often the case.

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Carlos B] #5826170 07/10/15 05:40 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

hunting WMA have freedom ta hit the out of the way places thick area's, were the hogs are beded & little pressure..Surrounding private land has 24-7-365 pressure & hogs go ta WMA ta escape. Ya still help the surrounding are,finding hogs is the easy part... Work is getting em out for grillen & chillen.. Its like some one said bout deer leases, gotta pay ta play ... some hunt for food, others play games... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Lead Kisses] #5826200 07/10/15 06:01 PM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I always found out at an early age that if you want to hunt something there is usually a trade off to do so. I made lots of friends with farmers offering to help them haul their hay or fix fences. Hunted a lot of land AFTER I paid the price to hunt in free labor. I am not talking one time deal either as several summers of high school I would help out for just a chance to do some hunting. Nothing was guaranteed but if you work hard to help them then they will help you. God Bless!

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Lead Kisses] #5826312 07/10/15 07:05 PM
M
macec3(TX) Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Hogs have rooted a large area on the north side of my pastures. This was a problem when trying to mow. Very rough ground and I had to go slow on the tractor.
The problem with hunting them is that they come at night and are very unpredictable as to when they will show up. Haven't seen any fresh rooting lately. Another problem is horses and donkeys in the pasture. I would love to be able to go out and kill every one of them or get someone to do it. It's just not that easy. So you see even though I would like to see these hogs eradicated, I would not know when to have a hunter come and check it out. Someone would waste a lot of time trying to hunt my place. So much time that they would probably just give up.

Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: macec3(TX)] #5826459 07/10/15 08:43 PM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: macec3(TX)
Hogs have rooted a large area on the north side of my pastures. This was a problem when trying to mow. Very rough ground and I had to go slow on the tractor.
The problem with hunting them is that they come at night and are very unpredictable as to when they will show up. Haven't seen any fresh rooting lately. Another problem is horses and donkeys in the pasture. I would love to be able to go out and kill every one of them or get someone to do it. It's just not that easy. So you see even though I would like to see these hogs eradicated, I would not know when to have a hunter come and check it out. Someone would waste a lot of time trying to hunt my place. So much time that they would probably just give up.

Build a trap on your place......Set it and be sure to have water inside the pen so you do not have to check it everyday. I have a round trap set that is very large and I have at least 50 gallons of water in each of mine so I don't have to check them everyday. you might do the same as just a suggestion.

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Re: Hog Hunting Rant [Re: Lead Kisses] #5826516 07/10/15 09:38 PM
C
customcutter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Yes, my in-laws own 700 acres in southern Al. I go up every spring and hunt the opening week of spring turkey season. I get to hunt the land for free. I go out every morning about 1.5 hours before daylight, take a guess as to whether I'll have better luck on the south side of the highway or the north side of the highway that divides the property and head out. I'm usually back at the ranch house by 9 or 10:00 at the latest. The rest of the day, I help out working the cows, putting out hay, or building fence, till dark or later. I don't ever get to roost the birds most of the times. My father in-law thinks I'm crazy wasting half the day chasing a bird. But they feed me well, and some days I get lunch. Oh by the way I love turkey hunting.

God Bless
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide