Texas Hunting Forum

Cold weather and exotics

Posted By: dirthawker

Cold weather and exotics - 02/14/21 11:41 AM

Will these record breaking temps kill alot of exotics?
Posted By: Mike Savoy

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/14/21 12:17 PM

Quick answer - yes.
We are going to stay below freezing for a week. That’s tough for a lot of exotics. I have been dropping an extra 900-1500lbs of feed every other day. I am most concerned for my blackbuck, oryx and axis.
Posted By: DavidC.

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/14/21 02:54 PM

Yes, I agree.
DC
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/14/21 03:58 PM

Good luck to all of you and your animals
Posted By: George S

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/14/21 06:14 PM

The nilgai seem to be the most susceptible to cold.
Posted By: hidalgo

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/14/21 07:19 PM

I bought a place in north Uvalde county 8 years ago that had 3 nilgai on it. I grew up in Corpus and the Valley and remember that in 89 there was had freeze and you saw dead nilgai all over the King and Kennedy ranches so I thought first really cold weather that would be it. Today there’s around 12-14 of them and we’ve killed about 8. We sure like the meat but they can hammer your protein so I’m undecided on them. We’ve not had weather this cold and wet for extended period since we’ve had this place so this may get them.
Posted By: RobertY

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/14/21 08:46 PM

Black buck and axis gonna die off for sure. We’re already losing our young and black buck. Nothing we can do.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/15/21 12:49 AM

Thermal cover will be key for most exotics. If they also have access to feed(ers) and hay then they will all do ok. The axis are dropping fawns now in many areas so they will be hit hard. If you have a some round bales of hay to put out in places out of the wind they will go to them. Even just putting out extra corn will help some of them.
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/15/21 02:23 AM

Heard that Baker 3 ranch north of Rocksprings has dead axis and blackbuck everywhere......
Posted By: don k

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/15/21 11:39 PM

I had one Ibex die. She got bit by a coyote a few days ago and I caught and penned her. She had trouble eating because of the bite. She died last night the cold probably did not help. I saw and fed some BB WT and Mouflon this afternoon. Have not seen anything in the main pasture dead. But tonight is supposed to get down to around 2 degrees so we shall see. This crap is bad.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/16/21 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Drop Tine
Heard that Baker 3 ranch north of Rocksprings has dead axis and blackbuck everywhere......

Yep
Posted By: Mouflonman321

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/16/21 02:46 PM

Mouflon will be fine. Very tough. Had them lamb on the snow.
Posted By: MAP

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/16/21 08:50 PM

Mouflon are from the coldest parts of the world, they will enjoy this cold snap. I'd be more worried about them during the summer

For black buck, is there a plant, shrub, crop, etc that they prefer to eat and/or is beneficial to them that can be planted and grown in south Texas?

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/17/21 02:21 PM

Had my first 3 casualties. One of my Ibex had twins and found them both dead this morning. Plus the yearling that had escaped the coyote also died. I don't know if she died because of the coyote bite or the cold. Probably a little of both.
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/17/21 02:25 PM

Sorry Don. I didn’t think it was going to last this long.
Posted By: RobertY

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/17/21 03:25 PM

I've lost black buck, but my biggest casualties is just loads of broken plumbing. Pretty much everything on the ranch will be replaced. We don't winterize for 0* days for 4 days straight. I guess all of that is replaceable, but it sure hurts!

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/19/21 07:12 PM

Found another Ibex Kid dead this morning. 3 so far.
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/20/21 01:15 AM

Hate to hear that don

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/22/21 12:03 AM

Another one. 4 dead and one alive. Not a good percentage. 4 kids dead so far. I feel very sorry for the animals and as for me that is about $10,000 in sales in a few years.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/24/21 04:13 PM

Sorry to hear that Don.
Posted By: intohunting

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/24/21 05:11 PM

I'll be looking for a nilgai hunt later this year. How did the nilgai fare with those temps?
Posted By: leswad

Re: Cold weather and exotics - 02/25/21 05:24 PM

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/The-Texas-freeze-s-silent-victims-wildebeest-15978347.php
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum